• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Tutorial to use...? What? How could you possible have trouble with it?

I love the torch. The dynamic shadow effects are lovely, and it's quite useful in many places. Not a problem to use unless you constantly rely on a shield I guess.

Tried finding it in my inventory to equip it. Nowhere to be found. Tried everything at a bonfire, nothing to do. You have to press Y in front of the bonfire (nothing on screen tells you to, there's just "A : sit near bonfire" or something) and then chose light torch in order to use it. If there was a "Y : toggle" on the bonfire text it would be fine but there isn't
And the flame goes out for whatever reason so I don't bother, made the lost sinner fight a pain as I understand with light in the room it's easier but I used two NPC summons and I barely beat it like that

edit : yeah I started putting points in ADP for agility, so far I think I'm at 99 or something and I feel like I'm kinda capping so I'm taking VIT now for weight, drangleic weighs a ton

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh boy...
- I'd have to double-check but I am 95% sure there is a "toggle: Y" in front of the bonfire.
- The tutorial area explains to you how to use the torch. There are even tons of sconces to help you with that.
- The flame goes out because you run out of time. You clearly see the timer slowly going down when it's lit, and in your inventory you see your total torch time.
- You don't need to be carrying a torch during that boss fight, you just
need to light the two torches behind those doors... this will light the inside of the boss room and make lock-on more manageable.
- Lost Sinner is easy anyway. :\

Oh well.

Edit: yup I was right:
7JsdnwX.jpg
zghjJzn.jpg
08n07Su.jpg

Oh boy...
- I'd have to double-check but I am 95% sure there is a "toggle: Y" in front of the bonfire.
- The tutorial area explains to you how to use the torch. There are even tons of sconces to help you with that.
- The flame goes out because you run out of time. You clearly see the timer slowly going down when it's lit, and in your inventory you see your total torch time.
- You don't need to be carrying a torch during that boss fight, you just
need to light the two torches behind those doors... this will light the inside of the boss room and make lock-on more manageable.
- Lost Sinner is easy anyway. :\

Oh well.

Edit: yup I was right:
- I missed it on some bonfires then, couldn't find it
- I saw that thing, but I didn't find how to light it at the bonfire
- I don't run out of time, I have more than one hour left on my torch since I never use it anyway. My torch runs out because I get into combat and want to use my shield for that, and somehow sometimes it goes out when switching. Even going down a ladder seems to put it off too
- I know about that, didn't bother anyway.
- Not really, especially when you're heavy. It has good resistance too

Hypron

Basic and Large titanite shards (up to +6 upgrade) can be bought in infinite numbers (eventually). I'd only invest chunks (+7, +8 & +9 upgrades) in weapons you really like, you only get so many each play-through.

Chunks are also unlimited after you defeat the final boss (
Nashandra
).

RiggyRob

- I missed it on some bonfires then, couldn't find it
- I saw that thing, but I didn't find how to light it at the bonfire
- I don't run out of time, I have more than one hour left on my torch since I never use it anyway. My torch runs out because I get into combat and want to use my shield for that, and somehow sometimes it goes out when switching. Even going down a ladder seems to put it off too
- I know about that, didn't bother anyway.
- Not really, especially when you're heavy. It has good resistance too

Switching from torch to shield will always put it out, but when climbing a ladder you will pull the torch back out when you reach the top/bottom of the ladder.

Plus you get Flame Butterflies which mean you can use the torch anywhere.

GulAtiCa

Now at Iron Keep. I prob have like 650k SM right now I bet. I decided to take off that ring that gives you extra souls, as I don't need them as much. I still like leveling up though, I'll prob level up to around lv 150 to 200. Currently at lv 95ish.

Also had my 1st real invader the other day too. Was in Huntsman's Copse. Near the beginning in that 1st real building (not the cave). Was already on other side, so decided to go to the top of the ladder/top of the floor. Got out my Fire Weapon and fired a Flame Swathe as soon as he came up. It scared him off, and must have hit him, as he tried falling down and was killed on impact. lol.

Honestly, was surprised that worked, as i just let it off in a panic when I saw him come off, wasn't fully prepared yet. lol

Mike M

Nick N
Chunks are also unlimited after you defeat the final boss (
Nashandra
).

Plus they drop relatively frequently from the tar monsters in the Gutter and Black Gulch. Equip discovery-boosting gear, fire arrows, and join the Covenant of Champions. Warp to the hidden bonfire in Black Gulch. Light the four tar pits on fire. Collect loot. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I was farming the worms for Awestones, by the time I was done I had more chunks than I knew what to do with.

Now at Iron Keep. I prob have like 650k SM right now I bet. I decided to take off that ring that gives you extra souls, as I don't need them as much. I still like leveling up though, I'll prob level up to around lv 150 to 200. Currently at lv 95ish.

Also had my 1st real invader the other day too. Was in Huntsman's Copse. Near the beginning in that 1st real building (not the cave). Was already on other side, so decided to go to the top of the ladder/top of the floor. Got out my Fire Weapon and fired a Flame Swathe as soon as he came up. It scared him off, and must have hit him, as he tried falling down and was killed on impact. lol.

Honestly, was surprised that worked, as i just let it off in a panic when I saw him come off, wasn't fully prepared yet. lol

Got invaded once in bastille, got 2 shot by spells
I just don't like forced PVP in this, and I don't know why FROM would think it's a good idea too. Game is already frustrating enough without it imo

Also having messages absolutely everywhere is kinda frustrating, a tip from time to time (like boss weakness, or some BS invisible door) I don't mind, but when every new room has like 10 messages in it.. eh

GulAtiCa

Invasions is part of the game though, always has been. It fits into the game well. I love it (esp being invaded)

For the messages, you can turn them off btw.

For now I hate the idea of getting invaded, I hope they at least recognize me being a total noob and don't beat my ass up just because they can.

Mike M

Nick N
Just checked and turns out I'm not crazy, in some instances you don't get a toggle button at bonfires for torches
You sometimes need to move a bit (maybe something about having space for the animation?), but not much. I've only ever noticed it when warping into lower Brightstone Cove.

For now I hate the idea of getting invaded, I hope they at least recognize me bein hg a total noob and don't beat my ass up just because they can.
Cracked Eye PvP invasions are random with their Soul Memory range. They can't target you specifically, but may have a low SM character to fuck with newbies.

GulAtiCa

The thought of being invaded does actually scare me a little. But it also gives me an adrenaline rush too. It's addicting.

By the end of each game, I make myself a sinner (easy way is by killing all NPC before going to NG+) so that you get invaded pretty often.

I tend to be nice when I invade people, bow before them & wait for them to be ready/etc. But I do like to troll people who invade me.

Cracked Eye PvP invasions are random with their Soul Memory range. They can't target you specifically, but may have a low SM character to fuck with newbies.

Yeah.. I've gotten a few low-level chars try to invade me early on (usually with the Butterfly moonset/etc poison outfit on). So annoying. Usually at that point early on I tend to get destroyed.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I swear, the jump in quality with the DLC is just astounding. These are both great testaments to reused assets, new content, and just better level design. Hell, I think the lore is cooler too.

Stuck in the Forest of Fallen Soldiers since Saturday, about 13 hours in as of now. Basically still wandering around, trying to find keys to the mansion and the blacksmith. Tried Heide's Tower again, almost beat Dragonrider. Wandered off again, doing something and nothing here and there. I'm awfully lost. Sorcerer was maybe not such a good idea. I will run out of Soul Arrows, but you never run out of melee skills which I'm hardly training. I'm trying to get his meager 3 STR up but it takes ages. Sometimes I wear a shield and dagger but then I tell myself why I picked Sorcerer in the first place. It looked like a relief to be able to cheese enemies from a distance but I regret leaving my Knight for this.

I'm not even mad though, I firmly believe that this is still one of the coolest games and game series in general I've ever played. I enjoy all the little things even when I'm not making progress. I dipped into Demon's Souls and DS1 last gen on my 360 but didn't beat either (though that might have been because of my Halo addiction at the time).

You guys already said as much as you could so I'm not looking for more answers per se.. but if you can point me to a guide regarding builds that would be great. Does my rationale regarding sorcerer/knight make any sense or am I making things up? I know that it's entirely up to me how I spec my character, but I feel like there's things in the game only veterans will know that, one spec is more beneficial than the other. I basically want to wield (one handed) swords at all times, but I also want to do a little magic. (Think of Mass Effect's Vanguard) The staff seemed like a good idea, but with low health, no shield and low adaptability it seems like a bad fit.

Tarkus

^^talk to the hag merchant. Hint: the Blacksmith's name is Lenigrast.

As for the House key, hit the rooftops in the forest and look for hole in the wall. Find a strange creature on the ground.

There are going to be times early on as a sorcerer where you'll have to abandon magic and use a weapon and shield. No big deal.

Maybe gradually lean toward a int/dex build. Look for (or look up) a weapon called the Blue Flame. Unfortunately, it's pretty late in the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Your starting class doesn't matter as much as you think it does, really. But, since you are fairly inexperienced with the game, the beginning can be rough if you are trying to survive with low stats in health and such, I guess?

Other starting classes can also use magic, you'll just need to raise intelligence and attunement a bit more, and explore a bit of the Forest before you find your first staff, whereas the sorcerer starts with one right away. Eventually though, once you're past the first major stumbling block, it won't matter at all.

But yes, strength/int builds can certainly work. Focusing on melee but having magic as support is something I often do myself. Though in DS2, if I make a magic user, I usually do the reverse, make a mage that pew pews enemies and resort to melee when up close or when low on castings. :) But the reverse can work just as well.

There is an okay shield you can find in the Forest. The first shield I typically find is in that area near the ballistas (just past the shortcut where the wall exploded, go down the stairs to the left of the hole in the wall, down the ladder, and then to the right, there's an ambush with ballistas). A small blue shield with mediocre block, but it's better than nothing.

Then a bit later, still in the Forest, there's a rather decent shield, the large leather shield, with 90% (IIRC) physical block and it's very light. Low strength requirement too. This shield can last a good long time if you plan to stay at low strength. If not and you wanna keep raising str, there's a good 100% block shield after the second boss with 16 str requirement.

As for the keys, this may help you find them:
- The blacksmith key is
sold by Melentia, the old lady vendor who hangs around the bonfire near the exploded wall shortcut (Cardinal Tower). Buy it ASAP.
- The mansion key is
in that area with the wooden planks and the archers shooting at you. If you unlocked the exploding wall shortcut then you've been there already. From Cardinal Tower, cross that destroyed wall and make your way backwards along the platform where you met the Pursuer. Then go down that big gnarled tree, jump down to the scaffolding area. From the upper scaffolding area, there's a jump you can make (watch out for annoying archers) to reach a cave on the other side (watch out for a boulder trap inside). Talk to a dude you'll find there, after some dialogue he gives you the key.

Edit: well beaten haha. But um I really don't think mentioning the Blue Flame is helpful for him right now. :p

Hypron

On top of that, having a strength/int build means you'll be 2/3rds of the way towards being able to wield a Dark Crypt Blacksword to its full capability, and that thing hits like a truck.

Tarkus

On top of that, having a strength/int build means you'll be 2/3rds of the way towards being able to wield a Dark Crypt Blacksword to its full capability, and that thing hits like a truck.
Looks like a popsicle, hits like an ice cream truck :p

Velikost

Is there a point of no return in this? I feel like I'm getting close to the end, and I want to kill all optional bosses before I go into the end game. The last couple I fought were
the big rat group down the well
and
the Old Iron King

I've just gone into the
Shaded Woods
and I recognize this area from glitched speed runs, that's why I think I might be getting kind of close to the end. I'm probably wrong, but I just want to make sure.

Mike M

Nick N
This is a long fucking game, Jesus. What's the name of the last area, so I know when shit's about to get real?
Technically the endgame area is the Throne of Want, but it's accessible before the end. Maybe 2/3rds through?

I think after you beat the final boss, you still get to run around the world until you start NG+ at the Far Flame in Majula.

Hypron

This is a long fucking game, Jesus. What's the name of the last area, so I know when shit's about to get real?

There's no point of no return, you can carry on after finishing the game - unlike the other games you choose when you wanna go to NG+. The last area is the
Throne of Want
, however you reach it before you can actually fight the final boss. You'll have 2 bosses left in other areas (
Giant Lord
and
Wyvern
) after you reach it. The last area before you unlock the final boss is the
Memory of Jeigh

That's like the mid point really.

Yeah I'm not sure it's even midway. In terms of compulsory content there's more after the Shrine of Winter than before. Then like SourShoes says there's the DLC content which is really significant (9 bosses).

The game is absolutely massive - which I love. I doubt DaS3 will have as much content but I hope it's closer to DaS2 than to DaS1/BB (let alone DeS which is quite short) on that front.

So I just decided to start another character due DkS3 hype, and decided for a UGS dude (first was a Dex, second a Hexer, so abviously the next choice was gonna be a STR), since I didn't saw that many on my last character I thought I was gonna be the cool kid in the block, but BAM! everyone is using a damn Greatsword. The white phantoms, the red phantoms, the grey phantoms, EVERYONE! (*cue Gary Oldman gif*).

The adjustment from BB to DkS2 was hard, but I'm starting to get over it, still need to consider estus speed compared to BB lol, killed me a few times, but I'm destroying every boss at first or second attempt. At +10 this beauty destroys all it touches, soo good.

Also I'm doing much better at PvP, need to get down that no-lockdown thing yet, but doing quite good for now. Still my objective is the Fume Ultra Greasword...which brings me to...

...seriously, I believe that DkS2 falls into the a bit too much category, makes consecutive playthroughs quite a chore. For me BB had the perfect length.

Mistel

Banned
...seriously, I believe that DkS2 falls into the a bit too much category, makes consecutive playthroughs quite a chore. For me BB had the perfect length.
You can skip quite a lot of the early game content no problem its less of a slog the second time around.
Yeah I'm not sure it's even midway. In terms of compulsory content there's more after the Shrine of Winter than before. Then like SourShoes says there's the DLC content which is really significant (9 bosses).
DLC is only 6 mandatory bosses all of the others are optional.

Tarkus

PFzqaP2.jpg

One more level into STR and I'm clamping down with Agape Ring. This is just about the best pure melee quality build with no buffs or bullshit that I could think of. Soul losses were minimal (~10,000). This SM is very hot right, but this build out classes most. I might move up one tier for more competition. The one slot is for warmth in fight clubs. I use it a good bit in PvE too actually. Rings: Chloranthy +2, ring of blades +2, Flynn's Ring at max bonus, and Leo Ring.

Fave weapons lately: Manakin Knife, Ice Rapier, Berserker Blade, and Drakekeeper's Ultra for that Tarkus cosplay.

Also, look at that beautiful rarity of a shield. Good parry shields, can parry spells easily. And has 97.5% fire reduction. OP shield.

Mike M

Nick N
Anyone else kinda tweaked by the size of a lot of the humanoid opponents? DS1 made sense insofar that there were (different) giants and "empowered" humans (or however you want to describe O&S, Gwen, etc.). But DS2? Why are Velstat and Vendrick 20 feet tall, for instance?

KeRaSh

Fought my way through No Man's Wharf yesterday. Not a huge fan of that area. Died quite a few times because I got piled up on. The boss was a joke, though. Are there NPC summons before every boss in DS2 (I guess theres only one for both the
Old Dragonslayer and the Dragonrider
)? NPCs in BB were a quick snack for bosses but in DS2 they hit like trucks and can take a beating. I like it.

Didn't know this game was that long! I hope I can make it through before DS3 comes out.
I'm around Lv 60 now and starting to put some points into ADP and VIT because my rolls are basically useless and I can't even equip my Greatsword if I want to walk faster than an old lady. It hits like a truck but not sure if it is too slow for my taste. I prefer the relative speed of the Bluemoon Greatsword but the lack of sclaing stats and the 30 durability are starting to get noticable. I currently don't mind it because that way I don't have to feel bad about putting souls in quality of life stats instead of STR but I think once I'm comfortable with ADP and VIT I'll go back to STR/VIG/END and probably switch to something that scales with STR. Still undecided what weapon to go with... I spent around two hours yesterday and couldn't come up with something that I like as much as the BMGS or at least enough to let me get swayed by superior stats...

Mike M

Nick N
I still really like NMW and find it the most evocative of DS1 level design for me. Not as densely packed as Blighttown, but still a fair amount of ground to cover in a smallish area until you open a shortcut that pretty much main lines you from bonfire to boss fight. The fire gimmick is a neat touch, too.

I found it to be absolutely trivial with a bow to countersnipe the bowmen and bomb throwers, but I tackled it kind of lateish compared to when other players might.

No man's wharf is completely useless isn't it ? It's just another way to the bastille and the forest is an easier way to get there in the first place.. was kinda disappointed

Beat old iron king yesterday, starting to enjoy the game a bit more. Currently playing zweihander, it feels much better than the drangleic sword. Apparently the great club is really nice so I'll try that when I get it, just got to the gutter, I'm playing pure STR and there's so many armor enemies I think it'll be worth it
I can never seem to get enough weight though, i'm pumping a lot of points in VIT but the full alonne captain/knight set is super heavy

Currently using drangleic shield, any recommendation for better shields ? I'd rather keep it light enough, and have 100% phys reduction or at least close to that
edit : apparently drakekeeper's is what I want, aight then

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also, look at that beautiful rarity of a shield. Good parry shields, can parry spells easily. And has 97.5% fire reduction. OP shield.
What shield is that?

No man's wharf is completely useless isn't it ? It's just another way to the bastille and the forest is an easier way to get there in the first place.. was kinda disappointed
It's a cool place with a lot of good loot. Worth exploring.

Mistel

Banned
Currently using drangleic shield, any recommendation for better shields ? I'd rather keep it light enough, and have 100% phys reduction or at least close to that
edit : apparently drakekeeper's is what I want, aight then
That's the one you want as the drakekeeper'ss is a better drangleic shield it's a long way off though. But in the mean time you might want to try an old knight shield it is the highest stability normal shield once upgraded.
What shield is that?
That's a cursed bone shield I think although it should only have 95% resistance to fire.

So I just arrived at Drangleic, these sentinels are a pain in the ass. I glanced at a map and seem to have beaten everything so far. Should I complete the game first or look at the dlc?
I think I'm around lvl 110, using a +2 drangleic sword and +2 craftsman hammer, no twinkling titanite so no upgrades available. Also the infusion doesn't seem to improve things, I would need a raw stone?

Really enjoyed my playthrough so far.

Hypron

So I just arrived at Drangleic, these sentinels are a pain in the ass. I glanced at a map and seem to have beaten everything so far. Should I complete the game first or look at the dlc?
I think I'm around lvl 110, using a +2 drangleic sword and +2 craftsman hammer, no twinkling titanite so no upgrades available. Also the infusion doesn't seem to improve things, I would need a raw stone?

Really enjoyed my playthrough so far.

DLC is harder than anything in the main game so I reckon finish the main game first. Just make sure to beat the optional boss
Vendrick
to unlock the true final boss.

Aight will do. I want to wrap it up as soon as possible and take a soulsbreak untill DS3 launch, but not without beating every boss. Do I need to know something about accessing the dlc or can I safely finish the game first? I would prefer not having to replay part of the maingame like bb.

Got invaded once in bastille, got 2 shot by spells
I just don't like forced PVP in this, and I don't know why FROM would think it's a good idea too. Game is already frustrating enough without it imo

Also having messages absolutely everywhere is kinda frustrating, a tip from time to time (like boss weakness, or some BS invisible door) I don't mind, but when every new room has like 10 messages in it.. eh

There is a covenant in the game that allows you to automatically summon a friendly player to help you whenever you get invaded. The downside is that you have to devote a ring slot for it.

GulAtiCa

The 2 invading NPCs on the bridge were a bit much.. At least they don't invade at same time. lol

Also, got my 2nd real invasion yesterday on the bridge. I was already on one of the rocks above the lava. Waiting to see if the guy had anything to hit me with/could find me. He ended up using arrows. So I decided to jump to land. I overshot and rolled back into the lava. XD lol

RiggyRob

Episode 5, myself vs. Ruin Sentinels: https://youtu.be/MSJ3RdEt53g

I think this fight was designed a lot better than the Shadows of Yarnham in that they don't all come at you at once, but they're still a challenge in a 1v1 situation because of the terrain. If you manage to end up with all 3 of them against you on the bottom level, you're pretty much dead.

Also, I had no idea they could throw their shields at you! That took me off guard - I was glad that their spinning attack only needs to blocked once though, it look like it should hit multiple times.

Sorry to bother everyone again, but I have a few questions:

(I'm still a Sorcerer, wielding the Fire Longsword in left and staff in right)

I upgraded the Fire Longsword twice. Does its scaling change? I have D and C right now, makes me wonder if I wasted Trinite Shards on it.

I really like the weapon though, so I was wondering, how far will it get me into the game? Is it reasonable to keep upgrading this weapon as I progress through the story or will I soon find better weapons than the Fire Longsword?

Also. what is there to burn in the bonfire? And is it beneficial? So far it only gives me the option to burn a human effigy, which I've read that it blocks invasions, but only for 30 minutes. Doesn't seem worth it, unless I can increase its duration?

Feeling better about the game overall, I hardly ever die anymore in the Forest of Fallen Soldiers. I have STR, DEX, ADP on around 16 right now, and INT on 16 (only got 2 spells). The first three stats I barely touched however, VIT, END and VIG. I thought that, since I'm not tanking, I don't need more HP and I might find a ring for it later. I don't quite need VIG yet either since I can't seem to find proper gear for Sorcerer and it will most likely be lightweight anyway (right?). However, should I not start putting points in END? Since casting spells costs stamina too.

The area in the water right before the demon of song with all those enemies... fuck whoever designed this piece of shit, takes forever to go through and you even get an invasion in case that's not enough

Ragequit after dying to demon of song, don't want to deal with this shit again, having to snipe enemies one by one when you're melee shouldn't be mandatory

Mike M

Nick N
Sorry to bother everyone again, but I have a few questions:

(I'm still a Sorcerer, wielding the Fire Longsword in left and staff in right)

I upgraded the Fire Longsword twice. Does its scaling change? I have D and C right now, makes me wonder if I wasted Trinite Shards on it.

I really like the weapon though, so I was wondering, how far will it get me into the game? Is it reasonable to keep upgrading this weapon as I progress through the story or will I soon find better weapons than the Fire Longsword?

Also. what is there to burn in the bonfire? And is it beneficial? So far it only gives me the option to burn a human effigy, which I've read that it blocks invasions, but only for 30 minutes. Doesn't seem worth it, unless I can increase its duration?

Feeling better about the game overall, I hardly ever die anymore in the Forest of Fallen Soldiers. I have STR, DEX, ADP on around 16 right now, and INT on 16 (only got 2 spells). The first three stats I barely touched however, VIT, END and VIG. I thought that, since I'm not tanking, I don't need more HP and I might find a ring for it later. I don't quite need VIG yet either since I can't seem to find proper gear for Sorcerer and it will most likely be lightweight anyway (right?). However, should I not start putting points in END? Since casting spells costs stamina too.

Fire Longsword is like Drake Sword. Good in early game, falls off after a relatively short time.

Burning Human Effigies prevents invasion, but also prevents summoning other players. No way to extend it except by burning more. The other burnable item is Sublime Bone Dust, which can only be burned at the Far Flame (at least to have an effect, never tried burning it elsewhere.) Those are pretty vital.

The area in the water right before the demon of song with all those enemies... fuck whoever designed this piece of shit, takes forever to go through and you even get an invasion in case that's not enough

Ragequit after dying to demon of song, don't want to deal with this shit again, having to snipe enemies one by one when you're melee shouldn't be mandatory

Heh, I beat the Demon of Song by trading with its stomp attack that left me with 1 HP. I chugged so much Estus to celebrate...

Top Bottom