• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

So I have a question: currently my character has 40 strength and 50 faith and I'm using a lightning infused drakekeeper axe. Would I be better off uninfusing it because strength scales really well (it has A scaling) or should I leave it like it is?

Hypron

The area in the water right before the demon of song with all those enemies... fuck whoever designed this piece of shit, takes forever to go through and you even get an invasion in case that's not enough

I just run past all of them it's way easier than actually fighting them haha.

Novocaine

The area in the water right before the demon of song with all those enemies... fuck whoever designed this piece of shit, takes forever to go through and you even get an invasion in case that's not enough

Ragequit after dying to demon of song, don't want to deal with this shit again, having to snipe enemies one by one when you're melee shouldn't be mandatory

Confining yourself to melee is a mistake. You don't need to invest stats into ranged weapons but having a +10 short bow and a couple of different types of arrows is a good idea.

In any case you should be able to get the Rebels shield now from the area before the Last Giant from the locked door, the key to open it was in the Iron Keep. it negates almost all magic damage at +10.

Mistel

Banned
So I have a question: currently my character has 40 strength and 50 faith and I'm using a lightning infused drakekeeper axe. Would I be better off uninfusing it because strength scales really well (it has A scaling) or should I leave it like it is?
Well you probably should as drakekeeper's axe is really dependent on the sweetspot so STR only with A scaling will do more damage theoretically. Plus no split damage so there's that.

Confining yourself to melee is a mistake. You don't need to invest stats into ranged weapons but having a +10 short bow and a couple of different types of arrows is a good idea.

In any case you should be able to get the Rebels shield now from the area before the Last Giant from the locked door, the key to open it was in the Iron Keep. it negates almost all magic damage at +10.
I've had this shield for a while but they cast shit from every side, gotta roll to dodge
I do have a bow that I upgraded a bit but it's still a really stupid area. Without the knee-deep water it would at least be tolerable

Lumine

Ha, I'm currently in Shrine of Amana as well. Also as a pure melee. And yes that place is a bitch.
It's doable though. Just a little frustrating when you slip up and drop off a cliff or get killed by the boss and you have to kill 2 dozen enemies all over again. And again. Almost perfectly I might add or you'll run through all your flasks by the time you get to the end.
I'm not sure if it's the worst area though. It has a unique look to it, at least compared to all the grey corridors in this game. And at least the swamp isn't poisonous this time around. Still it's killing my motivation to push on a little. Or maybe it's just that I wish DS2 was more like the first game the more I play it.
I'll give it another shot later. Currently trying to figure out what armor pieces to wear. I think it's time I start upgrading them. It's hard though, there's so many combination possible and the starts are really hard to compare directly. Also, fashion souls.:p

I think the game got better now, the beginning was really weak and unbalanced but now I've hit my stride. Still not digging the 3 enemies at a time type fights which really aren't balanced though
In dark souls 1 the beginning was great until anor londo but then it fell off imo, felt too much like a checklist "kill these 4 dudes then kill the final boss" with small areas. Also those 4 bosses were kinda disappointing. Bed of chaos is dumb, sif/4 kings is pretty basic (as melee at least), seath was a bit too easy, nito was super easy too

For the armor I'm using alonne captain chest/helm and alonne knight gloves/leggings, it's a good mix and easy to upgrade (fuck twinkling titanites). Using the shield I got on the dragon before the blue cathedral, it's got good defensive stats, stability, weight, is easy to upgrade AND gives item discovery. Insane.

RiggyRob

I did the Shrine of Amana/Demon of Song literally yesterday while I was testing out streaming to Twitch/YouTube and yeah, it's a pain, but it's manageable with melee (and even more so when using spells).

The worst part is not the fact that the homing spells track you so far, it's the fact that the Archdrake Knights are incredibly fast through the water so you can't escape them.

GulAtiCa

At least now the draw distance is pretty decent. Haven't been to that area yet, but from what I can tell the draw distance being improved should help it.

I still remember the early versions of DS2 of that area..... Pure torture..

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
enjoying the longsword not really a heavy weapon user, any recommended weapons to use late game ?

Novocaine

You can do the whole of the shrine of amana as pure melee.

You can shit standing up while blindfolded too, doesn't make it the best way to go about it.

For the record though I've beaten the entire game as strict melee both regular and SotFS, but that was because I was being stubborn. I had already run through the game beforehand using every advantage I could.

I've had this shield for a while but they cast shit from every side, gotta roll to dodge
I do have a bow that I upgraded a bit but it's still a really stupid area. Without the knee-deep water it would at least be tolerable

Yeah it can be pretty frustrating, probably my most disliked area in the game. Using everything available to you does make it more tolerable, and there are a few NPC summons about as well.

datamage

Any recommendations on an alternative to the Ultra Great Sword? I'm used to hitting like a mach truck, but kinda want something that's a bit less heavy. Dragon's Tooth is kinda fun, but maybe I should switch it up. (Pure STR build)

Mistel

Banned
At least now the draw distance is pretty decent. Haven't been to that area yet, but from what I can tell the draw distance being improved should help it.

I still remember the early versions of DS2 of that area..... Pure torture..
Pre patch Amana was lethal pretty popular for invasions too.
enjoying the longsword not really a heavy weapon user, any recommended weapons to use late game ?
Gyrm great axe maybe or mastodon halberd both are easy to use and not too rare.
Any recommendations on an alternative to the Ultra Great Sword? I'm used to hitting like a mach truck, but kinda want something that's a bit less heavy. Dragon's Tooth is kinda fun, but maybe I should switch it up. (Pure STR build)
Zweihander maybe?

Zweihander and great/large club are nice

GulAtiCa

Think I'm going to switch up my melee weapons. Currently using a Varangian Sword + Long sword. Currently thinking of going for a Curved Sword set. Any recommendations?

My character is a Pyro + Melee build currently (just for fun).

Man, Amana's Shrine is trash design either way: SOTFS, non-SOFTFS, magic user, melee user. It just so poorly designed with shitty enemy placement in either version, at least NPC phantoms makes a bit more bearable the whole zone.

Well is over now.

Just beat Old Dragonslayer. Is this vital for the story? I went to No Man's Wharf after beating Dragonrider but went back to see that huge dragon, and then I noticed that bridge and found about the boss behind the mist. I barely beat him but there doesn't seem to be a real reward for it or is there?

Mike M

Nick N
Just beat Old Dragonslayer. Is this vital for the story? I went to No Man's Wharf after beating Dragonrider but went back to see that huge dragon, and then I noticed that bridge and found about the boss behind the mist. I barely beat him but there doesn't seem to be a real reward for it or is there?
Covenant and vendor, PvP arena multiplayer.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man, Amana's Shrine is trash design either way: SOTFS, non-SOFTFS, magic user, melee user. It just so poorly designed with shitty enemy placement in either version, at least NPC phantoms makes a bit more bearable the whole zone.

Well is over now.
Never had a problem with Shrine of Amana, even solo and even pre-patch*, to be honest. There's plenty of ways to handle those enemies.
Just yesterday I played this area with a friend and it was really fun.

* In full disclosure, my first character was a dex with a good bow, but I can deal with it without a bow too.

Dammit. All the good heavy/strength weapons except some halberds and the red iron twinblade are annoying like that. For once I'd like to make an alternate dex or str build that uses big-ass weapons, but I just get annoyed at that moveset.

You get a fuckin OP shield from the dragon
Also kicking ornstein's ass is fun

I hate weapons that can be aimed when locked too D: but they're so strong i play them anyway

datamage

Well is over now.

It's a bit annoying, but even as a pure melee, it wasn't too bad. Just gotta be weary of whats around you and pull enemies to good locations. (So the casters don't get you..)

Also, the dragon on Heide's Towers. Is it even possible to beat it without sprinting towards its belly before it spits fire? I managed to beat it but it seemed like total bullshit the first time. I hope there's not more SotfS tricks like this that wasn't in the original.

Mike M

Nick N
Also, the dragon on Heide's Towers. Is it even possible to beat it without sprinting towards its belly before it spits fire? I managed to beat it but it seemed like total bullshit the first time. I hope there's not more SotfS tricks like this that wasn't in the original.
You can snipe it from the lower platform.

RiggyRob

Hmm, I'm suddenly seeing places I haven't visited yet and missed bonfires greyed out on the fast travel map, how come?

Depends, where have you got up to? Could be because you've got all 4 Great Souls, could be because you've gotten to Drangleic Castle, could be because you've beaten Looking Glass Knight and you can now 'see' where bonfires would be? Not sure myself to be honest.

It's a bit annoying, but even as a pure melee, it wasn't too bad. Just gotta be weary of whats around you and pull enemies to good locations. (So the casters don't get you..)

Never had a problem with Shrine of Amana, even solo and even pre-patch*, to be honest. There's plenty of ways to handle those enemies.
Just yesterday I played this area with a friend and it was really fun.

* In full disclosure, my first character was a dex with a good bow, but I can deal with it without a bow too.

Is not like it took me that many tries as a pure melee, I died 4 times or so for the whole section, but I think is just an unfun area. Being constantly chased by pew pew spells, the speed of the dudes in water when your movement is afected unlike them, the range of aggro on the casters, etc...

I'm not having fun, I'm getting annoyed everytime I do that level, in contrast Anor Londo is terribly more fun for me.

I never co-op or summon NPC on DkS games, but DkS2 has several areas that in no way I want to do alone, not because they are "hard", but rather they a pain in the ass, undead crypt swarm of ghost area is another infamous one for me.

Sometimes I feel that some areas in the game were designed with co-op in mind.

That aside, I think that the most fun I have on souls game is pure melee: no ranged shit, no shield, only your big ass sword and your rolls.

6for8

You can snipe it from the lower platform.

+

When it is awake you can bait the breath to the right side of the area before the little bridge and run to the left as it inhales then walk across. This method is damage free 75% of the time.

Or wait for a breath to finish then run to start of the bridge and take the hits, get up and flask and continue forward.

A souls game needs a dragon near the beginning.

Tarkus

If that is the character on the previous page, I can accommodate. Send me a message through psn when you are on. ID is in profile.
This is a truly good person! Dropped me a fully upgraded Sun Sword and more! Such a great community with beautiful people such as this!

12 dead in a row with this sword. Thank you again!

About the pursuer:
I beat him in Bastille, the one room after the three dogs with the chest. Now I found him in a basement after beating the Ruin Sentinels and again outside somewhere. In the last instance especially I managed to loot the bit after the jump, so is it worth it to fight him over one twinkling titanite? Or am I forced to beat them to progress in the story?

So I started this game on Xbone since I'm hyped for DSIII and I didn't finish it back on PS3 when it came out. I got to the Pursuer early on and decided to take it on since I know how to dodge well and can just take it slow.

However, I stopped trying to dodge to the side when his sword turns blue because this happened:

http://xboxclips.com/BluePhazon1337/e4b659f5-8b67-40ae-a380-a08dd07b2e7e

That is seriously some bullshit. Got me pretty tilted. After that, I just jumped away from him whenever he used that attack and beat him.

So I started this game on Xbone since I'm hyped for DSIII and I didn't finish it back on PS3 when it came out. I got to the Pursuer early on and decided to take it on since I know how to dodge well and can just take it slow.

However, I stopped trying to dodge to the side when his sword turns blue because this happened:

http://xboxclips.com/BluePhazon1337/e4b659f5-8b67-40ae-a380-a08dd07b2e7e

That is seriously some bullshit. Got me pretty tilted. After that, I just jumped away from him whenever he used that attack and beat him.

Yeah... Even when you have a bunch of points in Adaptability (giving your dodges more invincibility frames) that sort of thing still happens with certain "grab" attacks.

RiggyRob

Episode 6, myself vs. Old Dragonslayer (& dragon): https://youtu.be/_YI1d5Y1qaM

Y'know, for a boss called Old Dragonslayer, I would have expected him to appear somewhere like where I'm at now (Aldia's Keep) - is there any significance to him being at the Cathedral of Blue?

Also, you won't see it in this video, but that massive lunge has got the wonkiest hitbox, you have to be more than 90 degrees perpendicular to him to avoid it.

Hey guys, so I just beat the Pursuer and now have about 17,000 souls to spend. I'm already pretty overleveled (33), so what should I spend it on? Im a standard Warrior build, if that matters.

Top Bottom