• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Tarkus

Thanks, now I have a Mastodon Greatsword +10 :p

Damage shown on my stat screen went from 373 to 417, yewww.
Mastodon is okay, but there are other greatswords that are better. You gotta think about speed, weight, and stamina just as much as damage. You'd be hitting 380ish with a Claymore, but much more efficiently and with a FAR superior moveset. Yes it scales at C/C, but dex scaling is garbage anyway and this weapon does scale more than you would think with strength. There's a reason why the Claymore is one of the most commonly seen weapons in PvP and co-op.

When it comes to the Mastodon GS, you might as well use an ultra. Heck, the Zweihander weighs 4 units less, does considerably more damage, and has about the same stamina draw, not to mention it's longer.

Is the Looking Glass armour a set to stick with or is there something clearly superior?

I ask because I want to be sure before I use up my twinkling titanite :p

Is the Looking Glass armour a set to stick with or is there something clearly superior?

I ask because I want to be sure before I use up my twinkling titanite :p

It's a great choice to stick with if you like it. I tend to favour Havels if you are going down the 'super heavyweight' armour spectrum, but Looking Glass is still a really nice level of damage reduction for its reduced weight. It has the highest level of lightning resistance in the game if I remember correctly.

Ostinatto

I'm fighting Darklurker, so everytime i die i have to enter the dungeon again and kill everthing + light the big bowl in order to have another shot at the boss?

Buraindo

I'm fighting Darklurker, so everytime i die i have to enter the dungeon again and kill everthing + light the big bowl in order to have another shot at the boss?

Yeah you need to get through one of the three dungeons again. I'm pretty sure you don't have to relight the braziers, only kill the enemies.

Tarkus

Started another PvP build. Went to farm Warmth and got one to drop on the first rat at Grave of Saints! Please let my beloved Cursed Bone Shield drop this easily.

Mike M

Nick N
Fucking Ancient Dragon. Seems no matter what I do, all he does is spam his arial fire breath, which can't outrun half the time due to its huge AoE, tracking, and the fact he's usually doing it from off screen so I don't immediately know where to run. I've got Flame Quartz +2 and Flash Sweat on, but Flash Sweat is short lived and reupping is a risk. But without it, the fire does like 3/4ths my life bar.

All his other attacks are easy as hell to avoid and provide ample opportunity to punish, but he never fucking does them once he gets airborne.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, be glad you can survive the fire. In the original game it was OHKO for most people unless you had Flash Sweat active. xD

Since you aren't at risk of OHKO it shouldn't be dangerous at all anymore.

If you like how it looks, keep it and upgrade it.

Personally I can't stand that armour and would never wear it, but YMMV.

Yeah I'm not a massive fan of the looks, but it's serviceable enough that if it's the clear winner I'll happily use it (outside of the helm, that looks like ass, but I'm at 69.9% right now using a light hood with the rest of the set so no drama at this point)

That's the main reason I asked, what are my alternatives? :p

M.D

Iron passage is optional DLC content it is endgame content. You should either continue through the forest to the area beyond it or down the ladder.

I went around and found some new areas, plus killed a few bosses.
There's some areas I've discovered that I've yet to explore fully or kill the boss(es), but I think I've discovered most areas. Unless there's a lot more, which would be kind of crazy actually ;o

I made it to the boss in Iron Passage twice, will probably kill him today

Had a friend that kept adding another + to his NG and I would receive a message every couple of days "Iron passage?" He would beat the entire game at max NG in a few days but that area had him looking for coop. Save it for later.

There are a few nice items in the mist but it's easy to get lost as it is very.....misty. To get through it to the next area
enter and keep the wall on your left. If you keep trying to go left you will head up out of the mist.

Checked your trophies and it appears that it's PC so our coop streak is dead. Maybe Dark 3?

Oh hello, how are you? ;p

I am playing on PC since I didn't have a PS4 for the longest time and back when it came out on PS3 I had a problem with the retailer not stocking the version I ordered and ended up not getting the game :/

I will be getting DS3 on PS4 tho, so we will resume our jolly cooperation! I have yet to get Bloodborne, but are you playing that as well?

Regarding Iron Passage - the reason it's crap is because its an area with literally 0 level design. You have powerful melee and ranged enemies stacked on top of each other in a tight space, and the only way you can kill them is by luring one in to the space you initially fall into.
It's not hard to proceed in that area, the area is just freaking annoying and boring.

Manu

Fucking Ancient Dragon. Seems no matter what I do, all he does is spam his arial fire breath, which can't outrun half the time due to its huge AoE, tracking, and the fact he's usually doing it from off screen so I don't immediately know where to run. I've got Flame Quartz +2 and Flash Sweat on, but Flash Sweat is short lived and reupping is a risk. But without it, the fire does like 3/4ths my life bar.

All his other attacks are easy as hell to avoid and provide ample opportunity to punish, but he never fucking does them once he gets airborne.

Tip: look at his shadow.

Longer tip that makes the fight trivial:
when he flies, look at his shadow so you can see his rotation, and run towards his tail. The fire will miss you every single time.

Mike M

Nick N
Tip: look at his shadow.

Longer tip that makes the fight trivial:
when he flies, look at his shadow so you can see his rotation, and run towards his tail. The fire will miss you every single time.
Yeah, I'm doing that. His shadow isn't always in a place it can be viewed without wasting precious seconds orienting myself.

Even then, he still hits me from time to time.

RiggyRob

Episode 2, myself vs. Flexile Sentry: https://youtu.be/emk3WIasQBg

I found it funny how you need to summon Lucatiel to advance her quest, but having her for the fight completely trivialises the fight. I would've thought that having a second body on the back would've made it more threatening, but nope.

Also, how come one appears in the Sinner's Rise? It makes sense lore-wise (a sentry being a guard for the prison) but it seemed kinda random that there's only one, plus FROM Software clearly didn't put one there in the original game.

6for8

Maybe I'll just go full Havels :p

If you are killing the bosses on your first attempt why wear either of those sets? There is a stamina recovery bonus at 59.9% and 49.9%, target those percentages with more style. :p

As someone who has been caught playing Drunk Souls 1 in a full GiantDad set, I can tell you the extra poise isn't worth the shame.
I would imagine, even offline, those shoulder pads will mess with your confidence as well. Dress like a badass and you will become a badass. Call it the Tarkus vs Siegmeyer effect.

Farm the mad warrior set in the belfry.

Yeah, I'm doing that. His shadow isn't always in a place it can be viewed without wasting precious seconds orienting myself.

Even then, he still hits me from time to time.

You are on the path to easy mode it just needs a little tweaking. Adding a dispelling ring and armour with a little fire protection should get you to 900 and immunity to fire. Have a repair powder and herb ready in case the fight takes a really long time then your only risk is having it land on you. Recast sweat every few minutes.

Mistel

Banned
There is a stamina recovery bonus at 59.9% and 49.9%, target those percentages with more style. :p
No there's not.
Also, how come one appears in the Sinner's Rise? It makes sense lore-wise (a sentry being a guard for the prison) but it seemed kinda random that there's only one, plus FROM Software clearly didn't put one there in the original game.
It's just enemy put there not really anything interesting the original second one was guarding the shrine of winter more or less.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Ah, it's good to know Ancient Dragon is still garbage. God, he is easily my least favorite boss in the entire series.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ah, it's good to know Ancient Dragon is still garbage. God, he is easily my least favorite boss in the entire series.
bed-of-chaos-large.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
BECAUSE IT'S THERE!

Also, apparently damage dealt to it scales with hollowing or something? I hit like twice as hard facing it as a hollow than as a phantom with a full bar.
Uh, no. As a phantom you did less damage because of coop whereas as a hollow you were playing solo. The more players present, the more defense the boss has. This applies to every boss.

6for8

No there's not.

I can't believe that my methodology of rolling around Majula and hitting the ipad stopwatch with my pinky would fail me! I did this in 2014 and I don't remember the details but I started to go lower if possible.

Tested it again with havel gear and around 69% equip weight. Times to recover my stamina (max level) were 5.55, 5.61 and 5.68.

Test with alonne gear and unequipped a few weapons with 47% equip weight and my times were 4.56, 4.46 and 4.43.

Then I tested it wearing havels both times and just equipping multiple heavy weapons and the times remained at 5.5 for 67% and 4.5 for 49%.

Even if I did everything right and there really is a faster recovery, I concede that the heavy armour has a greater chance at keeping you alive. Those of us that prefer style over substance take what we can get.

Mistel

Banned
I can't believe that my methodology of rolling around Majula and hitting the ipad stopwatch with my pinky would fail me! I did this in 2014 and I don't remember the details but I started to go lower if possible.
It's more your numbers are wrong the stamina recovery goes in 10% more or less with no small/medium break. Until you hit 70% when you fat roll you've not really got much of a stamina recovery penalty until you go past 70% where the penalty climbs rapidly.

If you are killing the bosses on your first attempt why wear either of those sets? There is a stamina recovery bonus at 59.9% and 49.9%, target those percentages with more style. :p

As someone who has been caught playing Drunk Souls 1 in a full GiantDad set, I can tell you the extra poise isn't worth the shame.
I would imagine, even offline, those shoulder pads will mess with your confidence as well. Dress like a badass and you will become a badass. Call it the Tarkus vs Siegmeyer effect.

Farm the mad warrior set in the belfry.

What if I legit like the look of Havel's though? :p

I'm not sure why people bother. Must be trophy hunters.

I wouldn't even count a game like this as beaten if I've skipped entire boss fights. And.... I don't think there's any trophy that needs you to kill him either, unless he drops a unique spell or something.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I'm pretty bad at DS in general and don't do PvP. I also summon people to help with bosses.

Currently using a Greatsword +8 which I buff with magic weapon.

Probably not going to do NG+ either but it seems to wreck most stuff so far. Just killed the spider boss thing after summoning scorpion dude and some other knight guys who throws lightning.

RiggyRob

No there's not.

It's just enemy put there not really anything interesting the original second one was guarding the shrine of winter more or less.

Makes you wonder why they bothered putting one there for Scholar of the First Sin then.

There isn't any way to turn a weapon into purely magic/fire/lightning/dark, is there? Whenever I go to infuse something the damage is always split between physical and the element, which is technically worse overall right?

Yay beat the final bosses.

Baiting the beam attack then running in for a couple of hits is ridiculously easy lol.

Only trophies left are the all spells ones which I don't think I'll bother with considering there's two you need to buy in NG++, which is random as hell and I don't like it, and then the all emotes and all people in Majula ones, which I need to respec for INT to talk to the required NPCs, which is the last thing I'll do before shelving the game :p

So yeah, before I do that, have the DLC areas left to tackle, plus the Ancient Dragon and Darklurker.

The Dark Chasms of Old seem really annoying, is the Darklurker fight good enough to push through it, or just skip it?

Oh man I just realised to fight the Ancient Dragon you need to fight all those giants each time, they should have put a bonfire in front of the boss >_>

Maybe I'll just do the DLCs and leave it at that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Dark Chasms of Old seem really annoying, is the Darklurker fight good enough to push through it, or just skip it?
It's worth it. Darklurker is one of the toughest and coolest fights of the series, especially if you are melee.
Oh man I just realised to fight the Ancient Dragon you need to fight all those giants each time, they should have put a bonfire in front of the boss >_>
lol you have no idea, in non-Scholar it was way worse. The giant knights aren't bad at all, only a few of them too. Besides the Ancient Dragon was mega-nerfed so you'll probably kill him in one try.

Mike M

Nick N

They're ridiculously easy to run right past. The one with the ultra greatsword is slightly less trivial since you have to get him away from the door and open it, but still far from hard to ignore.

RiggyRob

OK, so for Lucatiel's quest I've summoned her for the Flexile Sentry, and I'll summon her for the Smelter Demon, but I've already killed the Lost Sinner and The Rotten without summoning her.

Does it still work if you summon her after the boss fight like with Pate, or am I screwed?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They're ridiculously easy to run right past. The one with the ultra greatsword is slightly less trivial since you have to get him away from the door and open it, but still far from hard to ignore.
Have you played Scholar? If you run past the giant enemies the
dragon knights will aggro you and gank you
and they're everywhere.

Mistel

Banned
There isn't any way to turn a weapon into purely magic/fire/lightning/dark, is there? Whenever I go to infuse something the damage is always split between physical and the element, which is technically worse overall right?
Moonlight greatsword is that more less.
OK, so for Lucatiel's quest I've summoned her for the Flexile Sentry, and I'll summon her for the Smelter Demon, but I've already killed the Lost Sinner and The Rotten without summoning her.

Does it still work if you summon her after the boss fight like with Pate, or am I screwed?
Use an ascetic and fight the rotten again with her.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
??

I've never had that happen. I've also only ever run past the first two, do they aggro if you get past the third?
Are you talking about Scholar or the vanilla game?

In Scholar there's tons of dragon knights everywhere watching over you. I never actually did that, but I hear that if you run past the giant enemies, or summon help*, they will aggro and attack. But if you fight the giant enemies normally they will remain friendly.

* Actually I summoned a shade, Bradley of the Old Guard IIRC, one time, and indeed, I had a hostile dragon knight after me. I remembered seeing a message "be wary of shade", so after killing the dragon knight I dismissed the shade and I was fine.

Mike M

Nick N

In Scholar there's tons of dragon knights everywhere watching over you. I never actually did that, but I hear that if you run past the giant enemies, or summon help*, they will aggro and attack. But if you fight the giant enemies normally they will remain friendly.

* Actually I summoned a shade, Bradley of the Old Guard IIRC, one time, and indeed, I had a hostile dragon knight after me. I remembered seeing a message "be wary of shade", so after killing the dragon knight I dismissed the shade and I was fine.

Only played scholar. I've had them aggro when I summoned Bashful Ray, but I've been summoned bunches of time myself and routinely run past the Drakekeepers with the host, and they haven't ever aggroed unless attacked. Summoning Head of Vengarl didn't do anything either.

Idunno, was it patched or something? Maybe they just don't like Ray.

6for8

If the host hasn't activated the dragon (put up the fog) isn't it the same as having your boss dead and can only summon shades? Can you even see shades with the fog down?

Hosts on their first attempt only seeing shades so grabbing them and getting abused sounds plausible.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If the host hasn't activated the dragon (put up the fog) isn't it the same as having your boss dead and can only summon shades? Can you even see shades with the fog down?

Hosts on their first attempt only seeing shades so grabbing them and getting abused sounds plausible.

Yeah shades can be summoned without a boss present. Hmm I guess it was Bashful Ray, got my shades mixed up (only ever summoned him once there).

I guess maybe it got patched. That sucks, it makes the whole shrine really trivial then. :/

Unai

Oh well, I've stopped playing 40 hours in because I got distracted with other things in life and now that I'm back I don't really remember what I should do next nor I know exactly where I have already fully explored. I'm in the last area of that pit in the middle of the main area where there's a swamp and statues that throw poison. I've already killed a rat boss there and got his tail.

Maybe I should stop the main game for a while and start working on the DLCs. I'm already with almost 1.5 million in memory souls. Another option, since I would probably play it multiple times anyway is start from scratch. Hum yeah, I think I'll do just that.

Mistel

Banned
Maybe I should stop the main game for a while and start working on the DLCs. I'm already with almost 1.5 million in memory souls. Another option, since I would probably play it multiple times anyway is start from scratch. Hum yeah, I think I'll do just that.
That's not that high for that point really. You could go straight to the Shrine of Winter now if you'd like.

Tarkus

Finally at SL140, my quality build is able to compete in PvP. While everyone buffs and uses their single stat weapon, I'm using any weapon. Namely, I have a +10 of each type. 1.5 mln SM PS4. Red_Iron_Tarkus. Bring it GAF.

Mike M

Nick N
Ancient Dragon's down at last. Guess it's just the giant memories and then optional content left (which is still a lot, mind.)

Kinda hate the time limit on the Ashen Mist stuff, though. Forcing the player to rush headlong into action set pieces seems very un-Dark Souls. I do like seeing the war with the giants, I guess.

I'm probably going to try and farm the Giant Lord. I'm thinking of respecing to a caster build just for maximum ease, what spells/miracles/hexes should I pack for it?

Ostinatto

I'm in the dragon sanctum, i dont know where to go, im in a room with 3 ghost knights and 2 pits. and one of the floor messages says "TRY JUMPING" (into a pit), i should trust the message?

Top Bottom