• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Fire longsword is down in some sort of trench. You can go down there from the cardinal tower bonfire and heading out, take the ladders to go down
Drangleic shield is after the second boss. I assume you beat the last giant, second boss is
the pursuer
which you can access with the key you dropped

Tarkus

I guess the current metagame is about piercing long/fast weapons and greatswords circle running.

At least is not as lame as Santiers "bayblade" spear.
You forget buffing with sacred oath, sunlight blade, and great magic barrier before emerging from spawn site while dual wielding Berserker Blade and Ice Rapier.

GulAtiCa

Well... I just had a very sad excuse for an invasion..

Was on Iron Bridge, going to put down my Red Soap Sign, when got invaded instead, which yay! Except... This guy wasn't quite right.... lol. Since it was an invasion and all, anything and everything goes. So I attacked him as he was still spawning. Ran off into the castle to heal and put on a buff or 2. Then came back out. Attack me and got himself nearly killed. Ran back inside. I just waited outside and healed. I used one of my "have enemies attack invaders" items, and went closer to the door. A enemy and him started coming to me. So I ran back to the middle of the bridge so the enemy would loose focus. As it went back inside, so did he. So I said, why not. I ran inside, to get the the fog gate to the boss (already beaten of course) to drive him away to show he is a loser. Instead, I fall of the bridge before the doorway. Luckily just onto the lava path, I run up the stairs with him behind me. I start to damage him and he panics and falls off into the lava! lol

Heck, he just invaded me again! Same tactics. This time I kill him quickly. Me thinks he should re-think his tactics. Their not working.

Mike M

Nick N
Anyone know what the deal is with the burned giant corpse by the bonfire asthetic in the memory with the Giant Lord. It has a face! A real one, with eyes and a mouth full of teeth and everything. Freaky shit. Maybe one of Aldia's experiments, who can tell.

GulAtiCa

Being Hollow doesn't prevent invasions. Burning a human effigy at a bonfire will prevent invasions at that location for like 30 minutes. Prevents co-op too I believe. Not sure if it works against NPC invaders.

What location you getting invaded at?

Armorer Dennis. I assumed it was some guy getting lucky and hmu every single time. Had no idea NPCs could spawn when you were Hollow because if IIRC it wasn't the case with DS1.

Tarkus

Armorer Dennis. I assumed it was some guy getting lucky and hmu every single time. Had no idea NPCs could spawn when you were Hollow because if IIRC it wasn't the case with DS1.
No he's an NPC. He'll wreck ya. If you're in the forest, you don't have to fight him to get to any boss.

Tarkus

I ended up beating him on my 5th try. I am trying to find the Pursuer right now. So the Soldiers Keep is a dead end pretty much?
Pretty much. This easiest way I can explain this is to go to Cardinal tower bonfire and slide down ladder. Go to the right through a door you hopefully opened from the other side while exploring earlier. Keep going until you see sunlit area with two spear hollows. There's a door to the right that's opened with the key you got from the last giant.

Pretty much. This easiest way I can explain this is to go to Cardinal tower bonfire and slide down ladder. Go to the right through a door you hopefully opened from the other side while exploring earlier. Keep going until you see sunlit area with two spear hollows. There's a door to the right that's opened with the key you got from the last giant.
Got it, thanks. Those balistas doe...killed him 5 seconds.

Mike M

Nick N
Dennis is a dick.

Caster invaders and NPCs are cake with a rapier and Stone Ring, though.

*Wind up anima--*
*Stab*
*Wind up anima--*
*Stab*
*Wind up anima--*
*Stab*

KeRaSh

Holy fuck the Gank Squad tore me a couple of new ones. Took me like 7 or 8 attempts out of which 3 or 4 were with a kind stranger who gave up after I got one shot in the back twice in a row. Funnily enough the next attempt was a success.
I wanted to give the
Dark Greatsword
from the chest a try afterwards but I can't find it in my inventory after picking it up. Is it bugged for me? That would suck...

Caja 117

Yeah Armorer Dennis is a total cunt.

I feel so underpowered against him, I lost maybe 8,000 souls because of him, (3 level up in my current build), In one time I tried to quickly get the Seed of a giant and I got it, but the whole plan backfired because I used it, but still got killed by one of the enemies in that area.... -_______-

I gave up at went to do something else, I have a lot of problem dodging his Magical attacks.

6for8

I feel so underpowered against him, I lost maybe 8,000 souls because of him, (3 level up in my current build), In one time I tried to quickly get the Seed of a giant and I got it, but the whole plan backfired because I used it, but still got killed by one of the enemies in that area.... -_______-

I gave up at went to do something else, I have a lot of problem dodging his Magical attacks.

Seeds on a NPC invader can be really helpful and comic, too bad they don't appear to work on Reds/WhiteMaldron that don't warp in.

Watchdragon Parma is a solid shield for Dennis. An easy get with low stats needed and even works on his Vortex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wk02PBgCz4

Loving this game, glad I didn't give up on it. I am flying through it, last major thing I did last night was reach the first primal bonfire. I went back to beat some side areas like Cathedral of Blue. Now I am currently at the area past the Hunterman's Corpse (don't remember what it was called, but it was incredibly easy) in the poison swamp area. I upgraded the Fire Longsword to a Fire Longsword +6 which is too OP. What should I try to find for my next weapon? One handed swords are my favorite weapons.

And it turns out I was part of the covenant that doesn't allow NPC or player summons so I left it. I love the coop and multiplayer in the Souls games. Its up there for one of my favorite multiplayer games.

Tarkus

I prefer straight swords. I wanted to find a great straight sword and then enchant it with lightning
The Drakekeeper Sword is the one for you. It's kinda late in the game. I'd drop for you if you were 5 million soul memory. Sun Sword and Stormtrooper's absolute favorite weapon, Fume Sword are good too but they're also late in the game.

Mistel

Banned
I prefer straight swords. I wanted to find a great straight sword and then enchant it with lightning
Go get a Heide knight sword then it's already lightning infused and benefits from infusion well scales decently as well for the time being. Then get a drakekeeper sword in the endgame.

Sande

I finally got around to playing the DLC and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. I guess the bosses were on average better than in the main game (which is really not saying much) and the location in Sunken King was pretty gorgeous but that's about it for the positives I can think of.

The level design felt more nonsensical and "gamey" than ever before and spamming 2+ enemies every 10 meters got old fast. I actually laughed out loud at times because the encounter design was so absurdly horrible.

Tarkus

I finally got around to playing the DLC and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. I guess the bosses were on average better than in the main game (which is really not saying much) and the location in Sunken King was pretty gorgeous but that's about it for the positives I can think of.

The level design felt more nonsensical and "gamey" than ever before and spamming 2+ enemies every 10 meters got old fast. I actually laughed out loud at times because the encounter design was so absurdly horrible.
The DLC content is some of the best in the game. You'll probably be in the minority with your opinion here.

Sande

The DLC content is some of the best in the game. You'll probably be in the minority with your opinion here.
Probably. It has a lot to do with me just being very critical of DS2 at this point. I was one of those who were touting it as the best thing ever at launch but now I pretty much hate everything about it. The DLC has some neat ideas, but at the same time they decided to double down on some of the worst design decisions they made with the main game.

For me personally, Dark Souls 2 will go down in history as an alarming example of how blinded I can get by the release hype and honeymoon period.

kagamin

Probably. It has a lot to do with me just being very critical of DS2 at this point. I was one of those who were touting it as the best thing ever at launch but now I pretty much hate everything about it. The DLC has some neat ideas, but at the same time they decided to double down on some of the worst design decisions they made with the main game.

For me personally, Dark Souls 2 will go down in history as an alarming example of how blinded I can get by the release hype and honeymoon period.

Dark Souls II was worth it alone for the PVP content, I can understand why people are disappointed with the game though.

Anon67

I'm curious: what's so bad about DS2? I'm playing through it right now and enjoying it a lot. I don't like how adaptability is someone I need to level up but besides that, nothing seems overtly terrible. Hitboxes can be kinda weird though it's usually fine.

One thing I've noted is that there can be way too many enemies ganking me. They feel cheap at first though I manage well after the first couple of deaths.

Sande

I'm curious: what's so bad about DS2? I'm playing through it right now and enjoying it a lot. I don't like how adaptability is someone I need to level up but besides that, nothing seems overtly terrible. Hitboxes can be kinda weird though it's usually fine.

One thing I've noted is that there can be way too many enemies ganking me. They feel cheap at first though I manage well after the first couple of deaths.
Enemies, encounters, bosses, controls.

There just aren't any enemy types that are fun and challenging to fight. The other Souls games have plenty. Good examples of this are the syan knights which are basically Dark Souls 2's equivalent of the silver knights in DS1. The difference in quality is staggering.

This ties directly to the encounter design. Since all the enemies are shit and wouldn't pose a threat by themselves, the devs are always just unimaginatively throwing several enemies at the player and calling it a day.

Bosses are also simply not challenging nor fun. Some are half decent (
Velstadt, Old Dragonslayer, Smelter Demon to name a couple
), but way too many are in the "what the fuck were they thinking" tier (
Covetous Demon, Demon of Song, Vendrick, Ancient Dragon
). Most of the rest are just vapid. But this is the one thing I have to give the DLC some credit for. Most of the bosses there are actually pretty good.

The controls are so slow and stiff. You swing a weapon, and it takes about a full second to be able to dodge or do anything. Healing takes about 3 seconds of either standing still or walking very slowly. Your character swings their weapon god knows where if you try to swing it after dodging, so again, wait a second before doing anything. Every action having this 1-2 second cooldown before you can do anything almost completely removes the fluidity and grace the combat has in other Souls games. Oh, and adaptability can die in a fire.

RiggyRob

Episode 9, myself vs. Skeleton Lords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PZ517Pm88

This is the only kind of add fight I find acceptable - the more skeletons you kill, the more skeletons that appear. It builds up to a good climax and becomes much more frenetic when all of the Skeleton Lords are dead and you have to deal with the skeleton horde.

The fact that the fight is much faster paced than e.g. Royal Rat Vanguard helps.

xorx

Banned
So lore clarification? Spoilers for DS 1 and 2.

So Vendrick relights the First Flame right? (being that the Throne of Want is a version of the first flame?) And that retcons the Dark lord ending in the first game?

Mistel

Banned
Episode 9, myself vs. Skeleton Lords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PZ517Pm88

This is the only kind of add fight I find acceptable - the more skeletons you kill, the more skeletons that appear. It builds up to a good climax and becomes much more frenetic when all of the Skeleton Lords are dead and you have to deal with the skeleton horde.

The fact that the fight is much faster paced than e.g. Royal Rat Vanguard helps.
It depends that fight is rather easy, with a strike weapon its a piss take really.
So lore clarification? Spoilers for DS 1 and 2.

So Vendrick relights the First Flame right? (being that the Throne of Want is a version of the first flame? And that retcons the Dark lord ending in the first game?
No that never happens.

Tarkus

No lie. The first time I fought Skeleton Lords, I was dicking around in the menu and unequipped my weapon and didn't notice it. I walked In the fog gate with bare fists. I had two of the summoned skeletons left when I died...about 10% of the boss' health.

Novocaine

No lie. The first time I fought Skeleton Lords, I was dicking around in the menu and unequipped my weapon and didn't notice it. I walked In the fog gate with bare fists. I had two of the summoned skeletons left when I died...about 10% of the boss' health.

Might have even be a better option than a sharp weapon for that fight TBH.

Top Bottom