• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

RiggyRob

Going through the DLC areas finally.

Sunken King was pretty good, nice boss fights too.

Old Iron King I really loved the base level and the Fume Knight, but doing the optional parts now and fuck, I'm ready to just give up.
Sir Alonne seems like a cool fight, but the area leading up to him is just too long and annoying and makes practicing him take way too much time.
And fuck the Iron Passage completely.

Might just skip them and start up Ivory King (which I hear has a challenge area that's just as bad or worse?).

Does an area where you're periodically blinded sound fun to you? Cause that's what's in store for the challenge area of the Ivory King.

Tarkus

Honestly fuck fromsoft and their god awful frigid outskirts bullshit. For serious, I don't move during the blizzard and assholes still spawn.
They will continually spawn in the blizzards as long as you're in certain zones regardless of movement or not.

The thing is, you have to keep moving. Using the sun and wall method is much easier than the going from building to building. If you keep moving while fighting the horses along the way, you'll only need to kill 5-6. Use 2 NPCs and black crystal them at the fog gate.

Hypron

They will continually spawn in the blizzards as long as you're in certain zones regardless of movement or not.

The thing is, you have to keep moving. Using the sun and wall method is much easier than the going from building to building. If you keep moving while fighting the horses along the way, you'll only need to kill 5-6. Use 2 NPCs and black crystal them at the fog gate.

If you use NPCs you don't even need to fight any of them. I just ran along the wall on the left and sent them back home quickly when I reached the fog door.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Had to stay home to wait for some craftsmen who was going to check out the ventilation system, so was able to play about 30 minutes of Dark Souls 2 while waiting. Entered the No-Mans Wharf which was pretty cool!

Onemic

So going from the advice given to me earlier and looking at some builds, Im gonna go with a 40/40/30/30 str/dex/int/faith Dark magic build. What would be the best way to initially level up my stats? should I try to level up str or dex primarily and go for int/faith once I get to 40/40 or should I try and get my endurance, vit, and vigor up with occasional boosts to str/dex until they reach a certain point?

GulAtiCa

Does an area where you're periodically blinded sound fun to you? Cause that's what's in store for the challenge area of the Ivory King.

Summoning the 3 NPCs near the start. Makes this damn annoying area + the invading blue arbiters (if your a sinner like me) so much better..

RiggyRob

Summoning the 3 NPCs near the start. Makes this damn annoying area + the invading blue arbiters (if your a sinner like me) so much better..

Unquestionably, if those NPCs didn't exist I wouldn't have even bothered, but with them to distract everything along the way it makes Frigid Outskirts much more bearable.

Going through the DLC areas finally.

Sunken King was pretty good, nice boss fights too.

Old Iron King I really loved the base level and the Fume Knight, but doing the optional parts now and fuck, I'm ready to just give up.
Sir Alonne seems like a cool fight, but the area leading up to him is just too long and annoying and makes practicing him take way too much time.
And fuck the Iron Passage completely.

Might just skip them and start up Ivory King (which I hear has a challenge area that's just as bad or worse?).

If you don't mind grinding, you could always just make the mobs in the "shortcut"( leave it to Fromsoft to jam pack the short cut with mobs and fireball shooting statues!) extinct then just use it and basically go to the right, then run to the left the fireballs will usually miss you.

With Sir Alonne you can literally just run straight past all the mobs and everything. If you've figured out where he his once, just run to him directly. I've done it that way.

They have limited spawns just like all other mobs apparently. Anyways, someone told me they spawn if you're moving while in certain areas! Lying scum, they shall pay for their transgressions. Thank you :p

So going from the advice given to me earlier and looking at some builds, Im gonna go with a 40/40/30/30 str/dex/int/faith Dark magic build. What would be the best way to initially level up my stats? should I try to level up str or dex primarily and go for int/faith once I get to 40/40 or should I try and get my endurance, vit, and vigor up with occasional boosts to str/dex until they reach a certain point?

Personally, I'd get enough STR/DEX to use a weapon I'm comfortable with an deals sufficient damage. Then I'd start putting points in VIT, VIG, and END, enough VIT to be at below 60% equip load with all my stuff, due to stamina regen being slower for every 10% of your equip load you have, with 50 and 60 doing the most. Enough END to be able to hit twice and roll, and enough VIG to not got one shot. Then I'd start with my INT/FTH switching between putting points in em, like first FTH then INT, then FTH, etc.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Unquestionably, if those NPCs didn't exist I wouldn't have even bothered, but with them to distract everything along the way it makes Frigid Outskirts much more bearable.
That area was meant to be played in coop, that's why. Still, it's doable solo too, but you need a strong weapon with heavy staggering power.

Dereck

I beat the pursuer and then he shows up in the Lost Bastille, what does that mean?

The guy that rolls the barrel down the stairs, isn't that supposed to make a hole in the wall? I killed him and he's not rolling the barrel anymore, what should I do?

That area was meant to be played in coop, that's why. Still, it's doable solo too, but you need a strong weapon with heavy staggering power.

I hate that though. It really annoys me when Dark Souls decides "Hey, we want you to do coop, so here's a boss that's fun to do cooperatively, but makes chewing tin foil a more favourable option if you choose to do it solo" I like to fight each boss at least once solo, and that includes the route to the boss too. Yesterday I finally made it, and was about two strikes from beating the boss, then died. The boss itself is manageable, the run to it fuck that. Gank squad is another obvious fight that they wanted you to co-op in.

I beat the pursuer and then he shows up in the Lost Bastille, what does that mean?

The guy that rolls the barrel down the stairs, isn't that supposed to make a hole in the wall? I killed him and he's not rolling the barrel anymore, what should I do?

In regards to the pursuer
He's supposed to track down and kill undead, so you will be encountering him quite a few times. He was supposed to fight you numerous times, but From effed up and didn't do it properly the first time.
and for the barrel, it's an explosive, so just roll it down near the wall and throw like a firebomb at it or something.

Dereck

Can I put a hole in the wall just by throwing an explosive at it or do I need that guy to roll the barrel down the stairs?

When I go up to him, he's not holding a barrel anymore, it's gone.

Tarkus

Can I put a hole in the wall just by throwing an explosive at it or do I need that guy to roll the barrel down the stairs?

It's gotta be the barrel exploding. You will have to leave the area and come back. Just homeward bone back to the bonfire and go back to Majula.

The Tower Apart is the bonfire that you can't just walk back to right guys? I'm having a brainfart.

I don't think so, you can try, firebombs are pretty cheap. If that doesn't work, the barrel in front of him resets if you reload the area, so just go to the bonfire and teleport to that same place, and it should re-appear.

It's gotta be the barrel exploding. You will have to leave the area and come back. Just homeward bone back to the bonfire and go back to Majula.

The Tower Apart is the bonfire that you can't just walk back to right guys? I'm having a brainfart.

Yeah, but there's another bonfire nearby in that area that you can go to.

Dereck

I don't think so, you can try, firebombs are pretty cheap. If that doesn't work, the barrel in front of him resets if you reload the area, so just go to the bonfire and teleport to that same place, and it should re-appear.
Oh, cool. Thanks

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hate that though. It really annoys me when Dark Souls decides "Hey, we want you to do coop, so here's a boss that's fun to do cooperatively, but makes chewing tin foil a more favourable option if you choose to do it solo" I like to fight each boss at least once solo, and that includes the route to the boss too. Yesterday I finally made it, and was about two strikes from beating the boss, then died. The boss itself is manageable, the run to it fuck that. Gank squad is another obvious fight that they wanted you to co-op in.
Yeah, I don't really care for that either, as I always solo everything the first try. Oh well, I managed. :p

I knocked her off the edge. Fuck

O boy o boy. Uhm. It might be where she was before she died. It may have also been added to your inventory automatically. Go check that area.

So I just killed gank squad solo. Though, it probably doesn't mean much considering I was lvl 249 on NG...

Morfeo

Been having more fun in No-mans Wharf (awesome area that reminds me somewhat of blighttown, although less bleak), fought a freaking ton of zombie-guys with huge arms, activated the light and the ship and the shortcut, but still no bonfire in sight. I can not really progress more because my sword simply doesnt have enough durability. I know i can buy repair powder, but that is really expensive. Have i overlooked something?

RiggyRob

Been having more fun in No-mans Wharf (awesome area that reminds me somewhat of blighttown, although less bleak), fought a freaking ton of zombie-guys with huge arms, activated the light and the ship and the shortcut, but still no bonfire in sight. I can not really progress more because my sword simply doesnt have enough durability. I know i can buy repair powder, but that is really expensive. Have i overlooked something?

If you've done the shortcut, sit at the bonfire and then use the shortcut on the way to the boss.

If you insist...
there is another shortcut you can activate(I assume the one you're talking about is the gate), you should see a really long vertical board, that looks like it can be pushed down. I think you either knock it over or activate something nearby, it basically makes you be able to go from the first bonfire to the ship.

Morfeo

If you insist...
there is another shortcut you can activate(I assume the one you're talking about is the gate), you should see a really long vertical board, that looks like it can be pushed down. I think you either knock it over or activate something nearby, it basically makes you be able to go from the first bonfire to the ship.

This is what I dont find, could it be this is only in SofFS? (I am playing vanilla DS2). Is it close to the npc-guy?

GulAtiCa

So I guess surprise pursuers are more of a thing now?

[late reply..but anyways] When I first went to the Chest that contained the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring, he nearly gave me a heart attack! Did not expect to see him in more places this run.

I actually liked he showed up more. Though, wish he showed up in more locations, esp mid-to-late game + DLC areas.

Run to Sir Alonne was easier to sprint through than I expected, and Havel's Shield made him a joke so he's done.

Gonna give the Iron Passage another go now.

Run to Sir Alonne was easier to sprint through than I expected, and Havel's Shield made him a joke so he's done.

Gonna give the Iron Passage another go now.

See told you :p just a little cool Easter egg about Sir Alonne
if you kill Sir Alonne without taking damage at all, he commits seppuku :p
he's pretty easy even without Havel's shield, I just baited his attack where he jumps back and charges at you, I found it the easiest to dodge and had the biggest opening for an attack.

Iron Passage is a bitch unless you make all the enemies in the "shortcut" extinct.

And Iron Passage is done!

I became a pro at dodging enemies as I ran to the boss.

Gave up on my strategy against magic Smelter though and ended up respeccing for Great Magic Barrier and used that alongside Spell Quartz Ring+3, Dispelling Ring+1 and armour high is magic resistance which made the fight a lot easier.

Now onto Ivory King!

Before that though I need to respec back and I'm wondering if it'll be worthwhile to lower my max equip load and put the points elsewhere.
These last bosses have made me shelve the Havel's set and use light armour for quick stamina regen :p

AlanOC91

Damn the Iron Keep is way harder in SOTFS. The enemy placement and aggro range made it difficult for me. Took me about ~9 attempts to reach the Smelter Demon door and I had no Estus Flasks left.

Summoned One guy and hoped for the best, thought we would get creamed since the Smelter Demon is one of the harder bosses in Vanilla.

But he was surprisingly easy, our weapons dealt very decent damage to him and we defeated him in no time. Was he nerfed?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damn the Iron Keep is way harder in SOTFS. The enemy placement and aggro range made it difficult for me.
It's weird how people keep saying that, but vanilla annoyed me more because of that archer to your right when you enter that open lava area.

Not sure about Smelter being nerfed, but I don't think he was. You just got gud? :)

Zocano

Not sure about Smelter being nerfed, but I don't think he was. You just got gud? :)

Yah there's no Smelter nerf for SotFS.

I played vanilla Dark Souls 2 so much that I don't remember at all what SotFS placements were aside from that sweet ass drake in Heide's Tower.

edit: Also better Heide Knight locations.

Arjen

It's weird how people keep saying that, but vanilla annoyed me more because of that archer to your right when you enter that open lava area.

Same here, I was sooo glad that Archer on the right was gone, made the whole area much more enjoyable.

Zocano

I might do another playthrough again after I exhaust Dark Souls 3.

Still need the PS4 version platinum trophy!

And I always like an excuse to do the DLCs again.

la_briola

I just went through my screenshot folder and found a gem.

6C7092976389D30CEBD6CBFFEDEF68DC980A711C

RiggyRob

Episode 21, myself vs, Looking Glass Knight: https://youtu.be/qimovghrqn8

Out of all of the generic giant humanoid bosses, I think this one has the best environment to it - fighting at the very top of Drangleic Castle in a raging thunderstorm is a great backdrop, it's somewhere you'd expect a final boss to appear in any other game.

Is the Looking Glass Knight's shield any decent? I saw it deflected one of my spells, so is it a useful magic defensive shield to have?

Soodanim

I finally made myself finish the base game. I also did the 3rd DLC as I got into it naturally, and now I feel more compelled to do DLC1 and 2. And I'm in DLC1, at boss 1. But I need to find something I enjoy using. I started the build with dex, then went ultra great sword, and now I've gone back to dex because I got bored with str being so slow.

Someone please suggest something a bit fun to use, I went BKHalberd but haven't upgraded it because I'm not even having enough fun to kill enough to upgrade it.

I'd happily give up but I'm told it's very good stuff in these DLCs so I wouldn't mind giving them a go before 3 comes out.

Top Bottom