• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Mistel

Banned
the Looking Glass Knight's shield any decent? I saw it deflected one of my spells, so is it a useful magic defensive shield to have?
It is quite useful to have even though it looks slow it has the most spell parry frames out of the spell parry shields.
Someone please suggest something a bit fun to use, I went BKHalberd but haven't upgraded it because I'm not even having enough fun to kill enough to upgrade it.

I'd happily give up but I'm told it's very good stuff in these DLCs so I wouldn't mind giving them a go before 3 comes out.
You might like the thrusting swords like the Estoc or some of the axes like the Dragon's slayers Cresent axe. Or for something completely different the caestus which are a lot more fun than they look.

RiggyRob

It is quite useful to have even though it looks slow it has the most spell parry frames out of the spell parry shields.

You might like the thrusting swords like the Estoc or some of the axes like the Dragon's slayers Cresent axe. Or for something completely different the caestus which are a lot more fun than they look.

As with parrying, I've never used spell parrying either. Can you deflect spells back at the attacker and cause damage to them with their own spell?

Soodanim

Thanks, I'll have a look at them. I've seen the Caestus used by an invader, DS2 definitely improved some of the useless stuff! I didn't expect him to flying kick me, that's for sure.

I just went through my screenshot folder and found a gem.

O boy, gotta love the Souls community. The messages are always hilarious.

Also just character actions, I got summoned into a world with three other sunbros and we, and the host, kept praising the glorious sun.

I also love how in the DLC they manages to replicate player actions with the A.I so well. Backstab fishing, running away to heal, gestures.

Yah there's no Smelter nerf for SotFS.

I played vanilla Dark Souls 2 so much that I don't remember at all what SotFS placements were aside from that sweet ass drake in Heide's Tower.

edit: Also better Heide Knight locations.

It makes sense for Heide knights to be in Heide's Tower, surprised there was only one there in the vanilla game. I don't like the Drake very much, but I guess it was to let you know you should be going there right after Dragonrider.

It's weird how people keep saying that, but vanilla annoyed me more because of that archer to your right when you enter that open lava area.

Not sure about Smelter being nerfed, but I don't think he was. You just got gud? :)

Only reason he seemed easy for me is because I fought him wayyyy late-game. I decided to just run to OIK instead. Some people forget that Smelter Demon is an optional boss :p.

The area is easier in terms of enemy placement, but it's a pain in terms of enemy numbers, but yeah taking that archer away from the right ty based Fromsoft.

Episode 21, myself vs, Looking Glass Knight: https://youtu.be/qimovghrqn8

Out of all of the generic giant humanoid bosses, I think this one has the best environment to it - fighting at the very top of Drangleic Castle in a raging thunderstorm is a great backdrop, it's somewhere you'd expect a final boss to appear in any other game.

Is the Looking Glass Knight's shield any decent? I saw it deflected one of my spells, so is it a useful magic defensive shield to have?

The Mirror Knight is one of the most spectacular fights in the whole game imo. The atmosphere, the boss, the sound effects, the music, the freaking boss summoning another player(which is something that happened in Demon Souls too, never played it but my friend has). I just wish they made the Mirror Knight a covenant that if you're in it you get summoned. For those curious, if you want to be selected as the squire and fight people, put down a Red Soapstone in that area and you randomly get summoned.

The best patch note I ever saw was when they fixed the freaking thunder glitch. The thunder would play at max volume regardless of how low you have your sound set in the options D:. Scared the shit out of me on more than one occasion.

As for the shield, his shield as a boss shield will reflect any spell you throw at him. As a player shield it has really good resistances, according to the wiki at +5 it's 95.6 physical, 78.1 magic, and 73.1 for fire, lightning, and dark. It also has the highest spell parry frames of all shields. Here's the wiki if you wanna see more about it: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/King's+Mirror

Thanks, I'll have a look at them. I've seen the Caestus used by an invader, DS2 definitely improved some of the useless stuff! I didn't expect him to flying kick me, that's for sure.

That's probably the bone fist, not the Caestus. It's a really cool fist weapon, my favourite in the whole game.

That looks like DaS 3...give warnings that it's DaS 3 mate, I don't want to have any information regarding it D:

Mistel

Banned
That was the bone fist then leaping kick is its one handed running attack.
As with parrying, I've never used spell parrying either. Can you deflect spells back at the attacker and cause damage to them with their own spell?
Sort of not really.

Tarkus

It doesn't deflect. It just makes the projectile disappear. Works with arrows too.

Come to think of it, I think Soul Arrows may be deflected to the side. Soul Spear definitely just disappears.

Great now we have DS3 gifs in this thread. Nowhere is safe.

Ikr? Fromsoft why did you allow this to happen, I trusted you!

I'm gonna go find a secluded island to stay on until April 11th. Release date for the game is April 12th, but steam says 11th, I wonder if that means we get it on the 11th or it becomes available for pre-load on the 11th. I'm hoping the former.
Watch some asshat send me a message in a bottle with DaS 3 spoilers.

Tarkus

That's disappointing - if you've got the balls and skill to parry spells/arrows, it should deflect back and deal damage to the attacker, otherwise it's just tanking the hit which is boring as shit.
If you do it in PvP, it's like it rips the soul out of the opponent. I do it all the time. I've had people return to their world because of it. You can do Pyro projectiles too.

Mistel

Banned
That's disappointing - if you've got the balls and skill to parry spells/arrows, it should deflect back and deal damage to the attacker, otherwise it's just tanking the hit which is boring as shit.
It does reflect back but the direction is hit and miss other stuff is rather anecdotal about it doing damage or not.

GulAtiCa

errr... Please don't post DS3 stuff in here. Esp before release. Some of us are trying to avoid spoilers.

If you do it in PvP, it's like it rips the soul out of the opponent. I do it all the time. I've had people return to their world because of it. You can do Pyro projectiles too.
I once poisoned a guy with my poison spotted whip on Iron Bridge. Guy jumped into the Lava after that. I laughed.

Tarkus

I can confirm after testing that a deflected spell will not damage an opponent if it hits them, at least not in PvE with the mages at Amana.

RiggyRob

What, just from sheer humiliation? I can see how it could have a devastating psychological side to it but practically it doesn't seem worth it.

It does reflect back but the direction is hit and miss other stuff is rather anecdotal about it doing damage or not.

Eh, if parrying a spell hasn't been confirmed to do damage back to the attacker then I'd say it doesn't work, otherwise it'd at least be mentioned in some PvP parry montage videos.

Tarkus

What, just from sheer humiliation? I can see how it could have a devastating psychological side to it but practically it doesn't seem worth it.

Eh, if parrying a spell hasn't been confirmed to do damage back to the attacker then I'd say it doesn't work, otherwise it'd at least be mentioned in some PvP parry montage videos.
It kicks in the sense of desperation. I think a lot of people haven't seen spells parried that much.

I just walked up to a mage in Amana, about 3 meters away or so, and parried 5 of its spells back into it. No damage. Still a very useful technique if you've got the balls.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Started tonights gaming by a reunion with my old friend Dragonslayer Ormstein - another boss that went down on the first try (had to use all four estus flasks though). I dont know, but this game feels really easy so far compared to Demons/Darks, but I guess it ramps up later? Was fun to see my old friend again, but also felt a bit lazy. Anyways, onwards I go in the cathedral I guess.

Edit: Dont really know where to go right now, so tried jumping down the well for instant death :(

Mistel

Banned
Started tonights gaming by a reunion with my old friend Dragonslayer Ormstein - another boss that went down on the first try (had to use all four estus flasks though). I dont know, but this game feels really easy so far compared to Demons/Darks, but I guess it ramps up later? Was fun to see my old friend again, but also felt a bit lazy. Anyways, onwards I go in the cathedral I guess.

Edit: Dont really know where to go right now, so tried jumping down the well for instant death :(
It does a bit but generally get more difficult as you go along but it depends what you're doing.

Morfeo

It does a bit but generally get more difficult as you go along but it depends what you're doing.

Nice to know!

Went to the Flexile Sentry now, and ofcourse my sword broke during the fight. What a joke. Tried to change weapon, and got killed predictably. Will try again now with one sword for the way to the boss, and my main at him.

Edit: Stocked up on repair powder and killed the motherfucker. That mast in the middle made it way to easy.

aaaaand Im back in the Lost Bastille which I think is the only place I can go now anyways? Cleared the other part of it earlier (up untill the boss at least), will be fun to check out this part.

Nice to know!

Went to the Flexile Sentry now, and ofcourse my sword broke during the fight. What a joke. Tried to change weapon, and got killed predictably. Will try again now with one sword for the way to the boss, and my main at him.

Edit: Stocked up on repair powder and killed the motherfucker. That mast in the middle made it way to easy.

aaaaand Im back in the Lost Bastille which I think is the only place I can go now anyways? Cleared the other part of it earlier (up untill the boss at least), will be fun to check out this part.
The thing that makes Flexile difficult is that water slowly rises in that fight the longer you go at it. At one point it reaches your waist, making it difficult to strafe. But yeah the pillar makes it a joke, also, his side with the two clubs is a lot more predictable imo.

Morfeo

The thing that makes Flexile difficult is that water slowly rises in that fight the longer you go at it. At one point it reaches your waist, making it difficult to strafe. But yeah the pillar makes it a joke, also, his side with the two clubs is a lot more predictable imo.

I didnt realize this - and I wasnt particularly fast. Is this another SotFS-feature maybe?

Anyways, once again broke my sword in Lost Bastille and had to backtrack. Are equipement way more fragile in this game, or is it just my terrible longsword+4 that sucks at durability (60)?

Tarkus

I didnt realize this - and I wasnt particularly fast. Is this another SotFS-feature maybe?

Anyways, once again broke my sword in Lost Bastille and had to backtrack. Are equipement way more fragile in this game, or is it just my terrible longsword+4 that sucks at durability (60)?
Did you download the patch when you first installed the game?

Mistel

Banned
Lol, definitely not something for my clunky ps3 then. But thanks anyways, seems like i am not the only person irritated by this. Just have to be more careful I guess.
The durability bug is an issue it was quite big before a patch fixed it in a SOFTS only patch but in the mean time there's a ring you can get in the Bastille the bracing knuckle ring which raises durability by slowing degradation.

Guys I got a huge problem with the lock on camera on this game. Is there any way I can adjust the camera when locked on to a target? Is it always at a fixed top down angle? I don't remember Dark Souls 1 being like this at all. This is seriously make me not want to play the game at all. I've tried every single camera option and nothing seems to do anything. Anyone know of a fix?

edit: nvm just booted up DS1 and it's the same. I guess it's time to git gud again. lol

Morfeo

The durability bug is an issue it was quite big before a patch fixed it in a SOFTS only patch but in the mean time there's a ring you can get in the Bastille the bracing knuckle ring which raises durability by slowing degradation.

Would never have thought i would have use for something like this, but guess I do - or I could get gud and start playing less reckless I guess. Thanks!

After emerging from the lovely Shrine of Amano I'm walking into the Undead Crypt for the first time.

Underground fire root Frampt
is pretty goddamn unsettling, love its appearance trick. I'm surprised I saw story being listed as a negative in this, I enjoy and can actually follow the falseness of Vendrick.

Morfeo

Been moe or less fully exploring the Lost Bastille, and think I finally found a good challenge - the boss there, the three huge sword-skeletons were pretty difficult when they all ganged up on me. Died four times, and decided to explore in the other direction and ended up in Sinners Rise!

Edit: And Sinners Rise freaks me out, hate fighting in water :( And those huge monsters dont go down easily.

One thing I have noticed, it feels like I am playing on the same server so to speak as the SotFS-people, for alot of messages just dont make sense with the way things are now, and also, some areas are full of bloodstains, but have no enemies. Makes it harder to find secrets for sure.

Neoweee

Been moe or less fully exploring the Lost Bastille, and think I finally found a good challenge - the boss there, the three huge sword-skeletons were pretty difficult when they all ganged up on me. Died four times, and decided to explore in the other direction and ended up in Sinners Rise!

Edit: And Sinners Rise freaks me out, hate fighting in water :( And those huge monsters dont go down easily.

One thing I have noticed, it feels like I am playing on the same server so to speak as the SotFS-people, for alot of messages just dont make sense with the way things are now, and also, some areas are full of bloodstains, but have no enemies. Makes it harder to find secrets for sure.

The game is less linear than others in the series, so there's like 6 or 7 other bosses you could be trying right now if you get stuck.

Tarkus

A lot of messages are just troll messages

RiggyRob

Episode 22, myself vs. Demon of Song: https://youtu.be/S06C9Hi4Xwk

At this point, I respecced to 50 Int/30 Strength to be able to use spells better, and boy does it pay off!

I really like this boss thematically, there's just something really interesting about hearing sweet melodic singing from a horrifying creature - the Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne are sort of like this but their singing is distorted (and they're fucking bitches to kill when they're causing Frenzy).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Here's some vids I made with my full Dex build power stanching katanas. This fights were NG+4

http://youtu.be/O0frSDsWILA

http://youtu.be/JLvGDLEcvIg
First video doesn't use katanas against the boss, also, you used two NPC phantoms and still almost died...

Second fight, you include all the loading times and waiting for finding a partner... Why did you not take the time to trim these videos?

I don't mean to be rude, but I just fail to see why you would think these are worth posting about.

End-game spoiler INBOUND!
So, my friend told me that I had to kill Vendrick before Nashandra to fight Aldia as a final boss. I had already talked to Aldia in all three locations and coulda sworn i I killed Vendrick(twice) before Nashandra. Either way it didn't trigger, so I BA'd the bonfire and went to fight Throne Watcher/Defender, got one to 25% health and the other to roughly 66%, then died. Went again, killed one, and killed the other so quickly he didn't have time to even buff his weapon, power-stanced KUGS and Fume Ultra Greatsword with 75 STR and 45 DEX OP! So I then fight Nashandra, she almost kills me with her lazer beam, but I kill her. Then I have to fight freaking Aldia?! Also zero etus left. So I begin fighting him, I get him down to freaking 10% hp but I didn't know he was immune to damage when his fie is up, so I died to the fire floor surrounding him :(. Then I died like two more times before finally killing him.

Here's some vids I made with my full Dex build power stanching katanas. This fights were NG+4

http://youtu.be/O0frSDsWILA

You didn't bow AND you summoned help?! Wow, zero honour :mad:

Mistel

Banned
Would never have thought i would have use for something like this, but guess I do - or I could get gud and start playing less reckless I guess. Thanks!
There's a limit to get gud also it does play nicely with boss weapons it means essentially with the strongest version you've got 50% extra durability to use for special moves.

Morfeo

The game is less linear than others in the series, so there's like 6 or 7 other bosses you could be trying right now if you get stuck.

Hmmm, really? I feel like I have fully explored everything, and there were only two places I found where I could progress, the aforementioned boss, and the Sinners boss.

A lot of messages are just troll messages

Yeah, I know from the earlier games, but mostly I feel they are not.

Either PvP, or...
NG+, surprise motherfucker!

Yeah didnt think about PvP I guess. Or what you spoiler-tagged.

There's a limit to get gud also it does play nicely with boss weapons it means essentially with the strongest version you've got 50% extra durability to use for special moves.

True that.

Anyways, started out again by finding and loosing to the boss in Sinners Rise. I can win this fight, but considering he killed me in one combo, I felt my chances would be better against the Ruin Sentinels, so I went back there. However, since my problem last time had been durability, I this time just run past all enemies and straight to the boss, and added magic to my sword before the fight. And while still a hard battle, I did eventually manage to come out on top, using all six estus flask and three or four lifegems. Won it at the sixth try in total, cool battle and definitely the hardest so far!

GulAtiCa

Got all hexes. Now I believe the only pyromancy and miracles I need are in NG++. So off to drangleic castle I go to make progress till I reach NG++

Top Bottom