• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

GulAtiCa

Five? I thought it was six?

Anyways, it goes better if you stay near the entrance, as the later ones don't spawn as quickly. At least seems that way.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I think I killed four of them on my first try, so got pretty close then. Only been able to kill two at best since though :( Really hard when three or more gang up on you at once.

Five? I thought it was six?

Anyways, it goes better if you stay near the entrance, as the later ones don't spawn as quickly. At least seems that way.

Thanks, will try this. Or maybe try the boss in Sinners again.

GulAtiCa

Lol, you added your reply into my quote.

You should do the gargoyles first. If you need help, there is a NPC summon on 2nd floor.

I think I killed four of them on my first try, so got pretty close then. Only been able to kill two at best since though :( Really hard when three or more gang up on you at once.

Thanks, will try this. Or maybe try the boss in Sinners again.

They spawn depending on how much damage you do to the overall health bar. So focus one and try not to damage the other and you'll always have a 2v1.

HOW MANY FUCKING GARGOYLES ARE THERE
ROCKYhowboutthat.gif

RiggyRob

Episode 23, myself vs. Velstadt, the Royal Aegis: https://www.you.tube.com/nYp4_zITjrk

I finally upgraded to the Moonlight Greatsword which became my weapon of choice, and it's great that so many bosses are a lot weaker to magic, it made it all the sweeter considering how much trouble I had at the start of the game. I think I'm noticing a trend where a build focused primarily on Intelligence/Arcane/magic has a rough early game but destroys late game in Soulsborne.

I have to say as well, this was a worthy enemy as the last fight before finally finding the king.

Mistel

Banned
Generally magic is easy mode which is common knowledge. Just checking the base game boss resistances magic is medium at most with few high resistance bosses, general enemies follow the same trends except from a few outliers with few high and extreme resistances which are generally anomalies given the number general mobs.

RiggyRob

Generally magic is easy mode which is common knowledge. Just checking the base game boss resistances magic is medium at most with few high resistance bosses, general enemies follow the same trends except from a few outliers with few high and extreme resistances which are generally anomalies given the number general mobs.

Isn't that generally how it should work? I mean, people who use primarily melee can say magic is easy mode if it makes them feel better, but I'd bet that for them ranged attacks come in useful too, and spells have their own drawbacks too such as they can easily miss, limited uses, slow casting speeds etc.

Mistel

Banned
Isn't that generally how it should work? I mean, people who use primarily melee can say magic is easy mode if it makes them feel better, but I'd bet that for them ranged attacks come in useful too, and spells have their own drawbacks too such as they can easily miss, limited uses, slow casting speeds etc.
The drawbacks you've described for spells aren't exactly things that you can't fix or increase in anyway.

1) Lots of spells have good tracking enough that bosses in DS2 eats them easily, since they lack proper evasion moves, or a big enough that it dosn't really matter.

2) Limited uses are easily avoidable with items or stacking spells. I mean there's items that restores all uses...

3) With enough stat investment, certain rings and weapons, you have more than enough casting speed. Probably in some cases is faster than a 2handed weapon R1 attack.

**Edited because even if people dosn't fully understand the meaning of spoiling, I'm not an ass.**

I cheesed through DaS 2 as a sorcerer. I beat the two hardest bosses, solo, first attempt because of how op sorcery was.

Onemic

Man, This game is so damn hard. I dont know how anyone can think BB is harder. Im on the Pursuer boss and have died to him almost 20 times now. He seems to have an answer for everything I do. Block? Shield bash. Roll? He'll make sure to do a tracking chain attack so that you take damage after you dodge the first hit. Heal? He'll rush you and kill you even quicker. I have to go lie down.

6for8

1) Lots of spells have good tracking enough that bosses in DS2 eats them easily, since they lack proper evasion moves, or a big enough that it dosn't really matter.

2) Limited uses are easily avoidable with items or stacking spells. I mean there's items that restores all uses...

3) With enough stat investment, certain rings and weapons, you have more than enough casting speed. Probably in some cases is faster than a 2handed weapon R1 attack.

Why don't you edit your post so everyone coming into a dark 2 thread doesn't have a dark 3 game design spoiled?

I need to bury my head in the sand for the final week.

Why don't you edit your post so everyone coming into a dark 2 thread doesn't have a dark 3 game design spoiled?

I need to bury my head in the sand for the final week.

A bit over sensible, aren't we?

Would I spoil you if I tell you Dark Souls 3 is a game and not an interactive movie?

Man, This game is so damn hard. I dont know how anyone can think BB is harder. Im on the Pursuer boss and have died to him almost 20 times now. He seems to have an answer for everything I do. Block? Shield bash. Roll? He'll make sure to do a tracking chain attack so that you take damage after you dodge the first hit. Heal? He'll rush you and kill you even quicker. I have to go lie down.
Legit made me leave the game for 2+ weeks... There are hints to make it easier, but I was a bit incensed and stubborn trying for a no-guide run.

Fuck the Pursuer and its
several incarnations.

I'm nearing the end of the Shulva DLC, and I'm really enjoying it now. The first area was boring as hell, but as soon as you get to Dragon's Sanctum it picks up nicely.
Boss wise, I enjoyed
the trio
; it wasn't super interesting, but it was a fun fight. Took me 3 goes. My only complaint was that
the one in Havel's set
hurt me as they stood up after being backstabbed. So I would have beat it on the second attempt if it wasn't for that.
Elana
was awesome though. Definitely my favourite boss of the game so far, and probably one of my top five out of the series that I've fought so far. It only took two attempts and wasn't really difficult, but it was fun.

I'm up to
Sinh
now. I'm kinda enjoying the fight, but it's certainly no (Dark Souls 1 boss)
Kalameet

Watching Dark Souls 3 videos and some of IGN's Prepare to Try Dark Souls I videos have really brought me back into the Dark Souls mood. A year or two ago I finished the first one and I really want to get into Dark Souls 2 SOTFS now. After starting a new game about five times I've decided to go for a sorcerer and mix that with swords and daggers probably. I really enjoyed using magic in Souls I and I'm going back to it.

But I want to start this the right way. So which attributes are very important for me? I am gonna go ahead and assume that ATN and INT is most important, right? But for the swords/daggers I probably also need to take care of ADP and DEX?
And of course STR if I happen to want to equip a certain weapon, but that speaks for itself.

DO correct me if I'm wrong. I really want to give Dark Souls 2 a chance. I know most people say this is the lesser Souls game, and let's say I will end up agreeing with that, I still really want to see how awesome the DLC bosses are. Because I keep hearing they are fantastic.

Is there a spot in NG+ range that's particularly active for boss fight summons?

I'm not in NG+ yet, but I'm level 194 with 4,488,537 Soul Memory and I'm constantly finding people at the first Iron Keep Bonfire (near the bridge) to help fight Smelter Demon.

Onemic

Legit made me leave the game for 2+ weeks... There are hints to make it easier, but I was a bit incensed and stubborn trying for a no-guide run.

Fuck the Pursuer and its
several incarnations.

finally got the fucker. granted I had to do co-op, but I finally found out how to roll away from the dude and not get caught by his combo attack.

RevenWolf

finally got the fucker. granted I had to do co-op, but I finally found out how to roll away from the dude and not get caught by his combo attack.

Honestly the best way to deal with him is rolling into his left side, and strafing his left side.

Also for the healing you mentioned earlier, the best strategy is to down an Estes the second your safe from his last attack of a combo. Ideally your drinking animation starts before his swing ends, by the time you finish drinking he will turn towards you, but you will have enough time to dodge.

Oh and congrats on beating him! He used to give me heaps of trouble too!

Mistel

Banned
Also for the healing you mentioned earlier, the best strategy is to down an Estes the second your safe from his last attack of a combo. Ideally your drinking animation starts before his swing ends, by the time you finish drinking he will turn towards you, but you will have enough time to dodge.
Avoiding the grab attack is also quite helpful as it often can clip you as you roll when you have fewer I frames.

RiggyRob

Episode 24, myself vs. Guardian Dragon: https://youtu.be/k_O8y7IGWik

This boss would be a lot more impressive if you didn't already have to kill a weaker version of it to get to Old Dragonslayer, but to be fair I murdered it pretty hard with magic anyway.

I also wish they'd given it a slightly different design or colour scheme, like the dragons in Skyrim have, just to differentiate a little, but I do understand the reason why it is the same (
Aldia was creating dragons that were ultimately fakes, so the fact that they're 'designed' to look the same is acceptable
).

Mistel

Banned
but I do understand the reason why it is the same (
Aldia was creating dragons that were ultimately fakes, so the fact that they're 'designed' to look the same is acceptable
).
Those ones are actually dragons not fake ones, plus it wasn't always at Heide.

You wanna know a super easy way to cheese that fight?
If you're good at parrying, you can parry him, if you do so when he's in the ballista sights you can stun him long enough to run to it, load it then fire at him and he loses like 75% of his health.

I tried out the first DLC from the Black Gulch, archers are so fucking cheap.

Yeah they are an honest to god shitstorm. I just using a bow and kill em from a distance.

I'm not in NG+ yet, but I'm level 194 with 4,488,537 Soul Memory and I'm constantly finding people at the first Iron Keep Bonfire (near the bridge) to help fight Smelter Demon.

If you have SotFS you can be summoned into NG+'s even while in NG :p I'm lvl 250 with like 15mill SM getting like NG++'s fights.

Is there a spot in NG+ range that's particularly active for boss fight summons?

I remember in the vanilla game if you're in NG+ you can be summoned into all NG+'s regardless so people in NG+++ can still summon you. Not sure if they patched it so NG players can interact with NG+ players, but I know in SotFS you can be summoned into NG+ and beyond even if you're in NG. With that said if you have the DLC Elana is a boss lots of people summon for. I have 15 mill SM in NG(I still need to fight one optional boss before I go into NG+, but they're a pain in the ass) and I get summoned consistently for her, I've been summoned to fight her in like NG++ because of how high my SM is. Another boss people would probably summon you for is Old Iron King, but be warned
His extremely small platform is prone to causing the host to fly off and die.

CamelCloud

Been running this insane build on my latest run. You basically get 40/40 in DEX and STR, 100 agility (via leveling up adaptability and vitality), rush the 4 primal bonfire bosses and get Flynn's Ring from the Ivory King DLC. Along with Flynn's Ring you run Ring of Blades, Old Leo Ring (for bosses mainly) and Stone Ring to reduce enemy poise because you are using a Rapier. The other requirement is to get 20 attunement for 4 slots and 25 faith so you can use Sacred Oath.

In PVE you will face no challenges what so ever. Use a large weapon for NPC human enemies since their poise is bullshit.

Been running this insane build on my latest run. You basically get 40/40 in DEX and STR, 100 agility (via leveling up adaptability and vitality), rush the 4 primal bonfire bosses and get Flynn's Ring from the Ivory King DLC. Along with Flynn's Ring you run Ring of Blades, Old Leo Ring (for bosses mainly) and Stone Ring to reduce enemy poise because you are using a Rapier. The other requirement is to get 20 attunement for 4 slots and 25 faith so you can use Sacred Oath.

In PVE you will face no challenges what so ever. Use a large weapon for NPC human enemies since their poise is bullshit.

VIT increases AGL? I thought only ADP and ATT increased AGL, interesting...also I think you might be confusing two rings. Flynn's is in Sunken King, there's a ring in Ivory King that further decreases enemy poise, but I assume you're talking about the lower your max equip load is, the more damage you do?

Pre-nerf the best thing to do was get soul vortex for the bosses, since they're so big it would hit them soooo many times and obliterate their poise and health. But it got nerfed so it doesn't consistently hit them :(. It's how I beat the two hardest bosses </3

CamelCloud

VIT increases AGL? I thought only ADP and ATT increased AGL, interesting...also I think you might be confusing two rings. Flynn's is in Sunken King, there's a ring in Ivory King that further decreases enemy poise, but I assume you're talking about the lower your max equip load is, the more damage you do?

Pre-nerf the best thing to do was get soul vortex for the bosses, since they're so big it would hit them soooo many times and obliterate their poise and health. But it got nerfed so it doesn't consistently hit them :(. It's how I beat the two hardest bosses </3

Yeah, you're right regarding the ring and agility!

Mistel

Banned
If you're going 40/40 why stay with the raiper?

Onemic

Honestly the best way to deal with him is rolling into his left side, and strafing his left side.

Oh and congrats on beating him! He used to give me heaps of trouble too!

Thanks. My sadness has already started again because in the very next area you get sent to, you have to face a powered up version of him -_-

Ive died to him about 10 times now. How many times is he in this damn game.

Mike M

Nick N
Those ones are actually dragons not fake ones, plus it wasn't always at Heide.
DS's lore on dragons is maddeningly inconsistent. While I suppose it's possible that what DS1 referred to as drakes (being some distant, degenerate relative of true dragons) could have come to be known as dragons by the time DS2 happens, DS1 also establishes the ancient dragons as having two pairs of wings and being immortal until the advent of lightning and Seath's theft of the crystal.

But Aldia's fake dragon has one pair of wings. No big deal, it is a fake after all. But then Freja's got one cocooned to the ceiling of the cave that looks just like it. Okay, maybe another fake? Except you enter its memories with the Ashen Mist Heart, and it takes you to the colorless and unchanging time before the First Flame. Except the dragon's dead? Well, maybe this is sometime after Gwyn and the other possessors of the great souls started fucking shit up. Except it only has two wings?

Why does a dragon remember being dead in the first place? Oy.

Ive died to him about 10 times now. How many times is he in this damn game.

Eight
in NG, I think...

Mistel

Banned
DS's lore on dragons is maddeningly inconsistent. While I suppose it's possible that what DS1 referred to as drakes (being some distant, degenerate relative of true dragons) could have come to be known as dragons by the time DS2 happens, DS1 also establishes the ancient dragons as having two pairs of wings and being immortal until the advent of lightning and Seath's theft of the crystal.
I was going to bring up that rabbit hole as the actual dragons in this one are more drakes or wyverns like in DS1 but the ancient dragons in 2 are a mess lore wise as you say.
Just to get the soft lock on both stats, considering it scales off of both. You upgrade to the Espada Ropera later on.
If you're just doing that you might as well use the Estoc then before swapping to make use of the better scaling and reach.

I didn't know Pursuer could fall off... where was that?

I'm gonna take a guess and assume it was at
the place you get the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring. Seems like the only place with a hole for him to fall.

Damn it. Worst thing was that he only had 5% health when he fell, so I was gonna kill him anyway...

There's a place that you can farm it, you might not need it thought, depends on what armour and weapons you use.

Top Bottom