• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I was a bit late to the Souls party, when Dark Souls originally came out I was interested in the premise and also loved reading about the challenging aspect of the game play, dying a lot and needing to work out the best way to survive, risking the souls you've collected along the way etc.

I purchased the game a few months after it's release (360 version), I didn't actually start playing Dark Souls until the pc version came out. Played and loved it, got lost along the way and took a break for a few months before I started again and made it past the bit I was stuck in.

Through all of this I skipped DS II, after reading about how some people found it too easy and the game was dumbed down.... it turned me off. Now with the release of Dark Souls III (yet to buy it, will wait for more reports of the game being less buggy and less game crashes before I gamble on buying the game), I might play catch up and buy Dark Souls II to tide me over. Or I'll just play the original again lol.

Having quite a bit of problems with the three sentinels battle. I started watching a few videos of other players for that battle on YouTube and I started to notice something. My character is too slow, but my own problem mostly is that I fail at rolling away properly. I keep rolling like crazy but clearly in the wrong direction because I keep getting hit. I thought this somewhat heavier build would be OK for me but I really prefer to be much faster, much smoother. To get faster movement it's probably best to improve the equip load and wear light armor/robes I assume?

RevenWolf

Having quite a bit of problems with the three sentinels battle. I started watching a few videos of other players for that battle on YouTube and I started to notice something. My character is too slow, but my own problem mostly is that I fail at rolling away properly. I keep rolling like crazy but clearly in the wrong direction because I keep getting hit. I thought this somewhat heavier build would be OK for me but I really prefer to be much faster, much smoother. To get faster movement it's probably best to improve the equip load and wear light armor/robes I assume?

Yup you increase your ability to carry heavier stuff and reduce your equip load, you want to be under 70%. Lower tyen that adds distance to your roll.

With the ruined sentinels the most important aspect of the dodges is the timing, their attacks rarely overlay when chasing you (assuming you don't roll into them).

A good strategy (Albiet slow one) is to hit the closest one once, dodge its attack, the one behind it will start moving towards you and get passed the first one (as it recovers from its swing) you back off from the second one ensuring the first is behind it.

Rinse and repeat alternating, essentially funnelling them into a conga line to avoid having them side by side and reducing the number of attacks you have to dodge.

Neoweee

Well no matter the sex, she is dead now. Got her on about the seventh try I guess. Wasnt really hard, but continued to get impatient and screw up. Anyways, whats up with those rooms up the stairs just outside the boss arena? Messages on the floor told me to use a torch, I guess to set fire to the stuff there, but dont feel like going back through that nasty sewer if there is no decent pay off.

That's the reason why.

Lock-on distance is determined by how well lit an area is, so lighting up the room helps you keep locks as the Sinner jumps around the room.

Lower % weight. Under 70% is good enough to avoid the "fat roll", but you get continuous improvements to roll distance and stamina regen as your weight drops further and further below 70%.

"i-frames", or how long you are invulnerable during your rolls, is improved with Agility, which is a secondary stat derived from your Adaptability and Attunement stats.

Mike M

Nick N
Decided to stop farting around after getting my 20 sunlight medals and my Sun Sword. Took it to +10, and now I'm wondering what to put in my off hand. Right now I've got an Espada Ropera +10, so I'm set for thrusts (well, faster than R2) and slashes.

I went to Brume Tower, which is my first foray into the DLC. Only at the second bonfire, but so far the area is a pretty amazing set piece. The skeletons go down like chumps, though, as I can stun lock them to death in three stabs. The ashen ones are a bit tougher and don't die after the third blow, but I still break their poise.

The possessed armor greatbow... Things... Aren't quite a pushover, but easy enough to stick and dodge on their own.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
That's the reason why.

Lock-on distance is determined by how well lit an area is, so lighting up the room helps you keep locks as the Sinner jumps around the room.

That makes sense, well guess I should have done that before the fight to make it slightly easier then.

About the movement speed discussion, I have kept below 50% all the time for faster movement, is there speed to gain by going below other levels like 40%, 30%? In original DS it was only 100, 50 and 25 I think,

Neoweee

That makes sense, well guess I should have done that before the fight to make it slightly easier then.

About the movement speed discussion, I have kept below 50% all the time for faster movement, is there speed to gain by going below other levels like 40%, 30%? In original DS it was only 100, 50 and 25 I think,

DS2 is (roughly?) continuous speed gain and stamina gain. It does not use the coarse cutoffs that DS1 uses, other than fat roll at 70%

Mistel

Banned
Under 50% is fine you've got most of the roll distance at 80% the only thing you'd gain by going lower is faster stamina regen and increasing roll distance. There's no speed you'd gain from it.

Morfeo

DS2 is (roughly?) continuous speed gain and stamina gain. It does not use the coarse cutoffs that DS1 uses, other than fat roll at 70%

Guess I learn something new every day. Thanks!

Edit: And thanks once again to Stormtrooper as well for his/hers always helpful answers :)

Neoweee

Guess I learn something new every day. Thanks!

Edit: And thanks once again to Stormtrooper as well for his/hers always helpful answers :)

A video showing it for 4 specific weights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP-FPz53t_0

And, a table of distances vs weight, tested every 5%
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/3jutng/roll_distance_tested/

Yes, it is continuous, not a series of a bunch of 15% cutoffs like some people claim.

Likewise for Stamina regen, the rate is about double at 0.0% weight compared to the Fat Roll weight.

Morfeo

^^^^Good to know, and thanks Neoweee!

After defeating the poor Sinner yesterday, I used the fragrant yore to depetrify the pyromancer in the forest closeby, which opened another way. When I was looking for her in Majula (and couldnt find her), I finally discovered "the map" (what a troll). However, more interestingly, I found the Miracle-girl down in the sewer on the road to Heide, and she offered to change the road, giving me a third path of possible exploration. And I just recently felt there was nowhere to go? Guess life in Dark Souls 2 is good.

Mistel

Banned
^^^^Good to know, and thanks Neoweee!

After defeating the poor Sinner yesterday, I used the fragrant yore to depetrify the pyromancer in the forest closeby, which opened another way. When I was looking for her in Majula (and couldnt find her)
Rosabeth is near the obelisk in Majula if you gave her clothes/armor if you did not she's back at the gatehouse where you found her. I'm a lady if you really want to know.

Morfeo

Rosabeth is near the obelisk in Majula if you gave her clothes/armor if you did not she's back at the gatehouse where you found her. I'm a lady if you really want to know.

Well, at least I can use the proper pronoum! I found her after exiting Majula and returning, so all is good. Went to Huntmans Corpse and had some fun. Pretty easy area, seems like its balanced for going here earlier. Anyways, went over the bridge, saw a red phantom, turned around, and fell into a hole in the bridge - so guess that is enough for tonight. Pretty fun area to be in, and looking forward to that Undead Purgatory!

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find every secret in the locations I've unlocked so far. I am almost done with The forest of fallen giants but now I see this entrance that is blocked by several rocks. It's close to the bonfire where the old hag merchant at first is.

How can I destroy those rocks?

Morfeo

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find every secret in the locations I've unlocked so far. I am almost done with The forest of fallen giants but now I see this entrance that is blocked by several rocks. It's close to the bonfire where the old hag merchant at first is.

If this is below the Cathedral, I dont think you can destroy them. There is another way in though. Edit: Actually, two other ways.

Hey guys,

If it's to the right of the bonfire, kinda close to the ladder down, then the only way to open that path is through the other side where there are some barrels next to the wall.

Neoweee

Is a dex build bad in this game? Im hearing that spending on dex in DS2 is pointless.

I think it is fun. Dex weapons are faster & lighter, so go for load equipment load to make use of the huge roll range and stamina regen boost. Overall damage output is lower, though. The tradeoff is that you're more nimble/better regen.

If this is below the Cathedral, I dont think you can destroy them. There is another way in though. Edit: Actually, two other ways.

If it's to the right of the bonfire, kinda close to the ladder down, then the only way to open that path is through the other side where there are some barrels next to the wall.

If you are at the Cardinal Tower bonfire, go through the opening (that was blown up by the barrels) go straight where the big turtle'ish guy is with the hammer and past that. If you go right you get in the tree branch, but if you go straight, there are rocks covering an entrance.

That's the one. So I won't be destroying those rocks? How do I get to the other side of it?

Mike M

Nick N
If you are at the Cardinal Tower bonfire, go through the opening (that was blown up by the barrels) go straight where the big turtle'ish guy is with the hammer and past that. If you go right you get in the tree branch, but if you go straight, there are rocks covering an entrance.

That's the one. So I won't be destroying those rocks? How do I get to the other side of it?
Oh, that.

There's nothing there, it's just a level boundary.

Oh, that.

There's nothing there, it's just a level boundary.

Ah ok, well that's good to know. :)

I now have these souls

Pursuer
Flexile sentry
The last giant (but i accidentally used this)
Belfry Gargoyle
Dragonrider

I'm speaking those Straid and i can trade these in for some sweet weapons. Which ones are really worth it? Sadly i can't try it out and reload my game, so that's why i ask here.

Neoweee

Ah ok, well that's good to know. :)

I now have these souls

Pursuer
Flexile sentry
The last giant (but i accidentally used this)
Belfry Gargoyle
Dragonrider

I'm speaking those Straid and i can trade these in for some sweet weapons. Which ones are really worth it? Sadly i can't try it out and reload my game, so that's why i ask here.

It depends what you're doing. What is your build, what are you trying to do, are you using magic, are you going for trophies (in which case you definitely want to grab the spells).

I'm normally not a big fan of boss weapons, but I did like Pursuer Ultra Greatsword. If it fits your build at all, it is worth grabbing. The # of souls isn't that significant.

You can also respawn bosses to collect more souls, if you want.

It depends what you're doing. What is your build, what are you trying to do, are you using magic, are you going for trophies (in which case you definitely want to grab the spells).

I'm normally not a big fan of boss weapons, but I did like Pursuer Ultra Greatsword. If it fits your build at all, it is worth grabbing. The # of souls isn't that significant.

You can also respawn bosses to collect more souls, if you want.

I'm going for a Sorcerer+warrior build (no heavy armor or anything, i want to be fast with the rolling and everything) . I have been using the Fire Longsword for quite a while now and i mix that wit pyromancy and soul arrows. But i might eventually decide to go for bigger swords as well, two handers, because i've seen some pretty awesome ones. But right now i have been using mostly the fire longsword, which doesn't require a lot of strength. I've seen some videos of a guy doing some really nice spinning attacks, i believe it was with a spear or twinblade and i want to be able to do those things as well.

Oh and i can respawn bosses? How do i do that?

Mistel

Banned
I'm going for a Sorcerer+warrior build (no heavy armor or anything, i want to be fast with the rolling and everything) . I have been using the Fire Longsword for quite a while now and i mix that wit pyromancy and soul arrows. But i might eventually decide to go for bigger swords as well, two handers, because i've seen some pretty awesome ones. But right now i have been using mostly the fire longsword, which doesn't require a lot of strength. I've seen some videos of a guy doing some really nice spinning attacks, i believe it was with a spear or twinblade and i want to be able to do those things as well.

Oh and i can respawn bosses? How do i do that?
Using a bonfire asetic on the correct bonfire it respawns the boss but at one NG+ level higher. Well if you want to use a twin blade then there is the dragon rider twinblade which scales with INT meaning it'll go well with your stats (The halberd is stronger but might not be your thing).
I think it is fun. Dex weapons are faster & lighter, so go for load equipment load to make use of the huge roll range and stamina regen boost. Overall damage output is lower, though. The tradeoff is that you're more nimble/better regen.
Whilst this is generally accurate it is not a global rule.

Using a bonfire asetic on the correct bonfire it respawns the boss but at one NG+ level higher. Well if you want to use a twin blade then there is the dragon rider twinblade which scales with INT meaning it'll go well with your stats (The halberd is stronger but might not be your thing).

Oh sweet, i actually was eyeing that Twinblade, so that's good news. Yeah i'll go for that one.

So if i'm not going to be using the other boss souls, can i just consume them?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I never got around the the Dark Souls II DLC, but I'm playing through Scholar of the First Sin right now. Around level 120 or so and just got into Drangleic Castle, but I decided to tackle the Sunken King content. Damn, it's pretty brutal. Just full of powerful enemies and crazy traps. That section with the phantoms in the area with the spikes was tough already, but they threw in crazy NPC invaders on top of it! Way higher difficulty than the main game so far.

Neoweee

Yeah, the Twin Blades in particular are pretty heavy.

Morfeo

Been exploring the Huntsman Corpse some more, and got to the boss. Of course, after killing the three big Grim Reapers, my sword broke, and since the area now was swarmed with enemies, I didnt want to risk changing it in the menu. So i tried fighting it with only my bow (which is always equipped), but of course that didnt go too well. THIS GAME NEEDS A PAUSE OPTION.

Edit: Also defeated another invader, now three in a row which is just insane considering I hadnt beaten any since the boss in Tower of Latria!

Mistel

Banned
Been exploring the Huntsman Corpse some more, and got to the boss. Of course, after killing the three big Grim Reapers, my sword broke, and since the area now was swarmed with enemies, I didnt want to risk changing it in the menu. So i tried fighting it with only my bow (which is always equipped), but of course that didnt go too well. THIS GAME NEEDS A PAUSE OPTION.
Are you using the bracing knuckle ring I told you about?

Morfeo

Are you using the bracing knuckle ring I told you about?

I am now after that first failure :)

Ok, just killed it using the Bracing Knukle. The sword still broke on the very last swing, was lucky there I guess :)

Been exploring the Harvest Valley some (what a name), and was so happy when I found some more upgrade materials (whats up with the rarity of them in this game?). Of course, I didnt have many souls with me, so I went grinding to buy up the stock of the girl there, came back and she is gone??? Guess I need to check if she is in Majula, really hope I didnt waste 10 shards there.

Edit: Puuuuh, great to see her again!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This Sunken King DLC has been nothing but frustration, honestly.

Is this what so many people actually like when they praised the DLC over the main game?

Enemies are numerous, tanky, and do a ton of damage. Tons of opportunities to fall to your death. Bonfires seem few and far between, and shortcuts are sparing.

RiggyRob

Is this what so many people actually like when they praised the DLC over the main game?

Enemies are numerous, tanky, and do a ton of damage. Tons of opportunities to fall to your death. Bonfires seem few and far between, and shortcuts are sparing.

This is why people like it, I imagine. The level design is much more creative than the main game, and the way the paths loop back on one another is similar to Bloodborne (at least from my reference point).

Sunken King was probably the worst out of the DLC, but it was still fun. I didn't really enjoy it until part way through the second area
the area with the ghost enemies and hex casters

If you're playing the DLC in order you're in for a treat with the next one. Aside from one dumb optional area with an uninspired boss fight, the rest of the Old Iron King DLC is the best part of the game by far for me, in terms of both level design and boss fights.
It was also noticeably easier than Sunken King for me in the fact that it doesn't just shove like 6 of the same enemy in a corridor.

I either am just a huge fuck up when it comes to Dark Souls, or I'm just not having my day. I've finished Forest of fallen giants, Heidi's tower, No man's wharf, The lost bastille, Sinner's rise, Belfry Luna and admittedly I did use a summon for some of them. But now I am in Huntman's Corpse and all goes well from that bonfire until I go right on that bridge(where that fatty is) and eventually I come to a part where these baddies are lurking and they are goddamn fast and I just keep dying here. They basically guard that very long bridge. Yesterday i managed to lure them out one by one and now they just all come at me. This part here is really slowly destroying my motivation.

If I could just summon someone out of the blue here I would do that in a heartbeat.

Neoweee

I either am just a huge fuck up when it comes to Dark Souls, or I'm just not having my day. I've finished Forest of fallen giants, Heidi's tower, No man's wharf, The lost bastille, Sinner's rise, Belfry Luna and admittedly I did use a summon for some of them. But now I am in Huntman's Corpse and all goes well from that bonfire until I go right on that bridge(where that fatty is) and eventually I come to a part where these baddies are lurking and they are goddamn fast and I just keep dying here. They basically guard that very long bridge. Yesterday i managed to lure them out one by one and now they just all come at me. This part here is really slowly destroying my motivation.

If I could just summon someone out of the blue here I would do that in a heartbeat.

There's two exits to the zone. You're doing the very hard one.

Morfeo

You did it right when you lured one by one, I did this area yesterday with no troubles. Just slowly progress, and use a bow to get the attention of one of them. Kill him, and repeat with the next. Shouldnt be too hard. Just mae sure you dont fall down in the holes in the bridge (like I did).

Eventually, you could go the other way, which leads to a new bonfire, a boss and Harvest Valley, which is also fun and not that hard imo. That also gives you some more upgrade materials to make progress easier.

Edit: Fun to see we are at basically the same part in the game btw :) You could also drop down the well (which I actually did before taking on the Gargoyles and the Sinner) for some easy progress.

So let me ask: When is the best time to do the DLC? I *believe* that the best time appears to be after you talk to
Vendrick
because supposedly he has things to say about retrieving the crowns and, also, if you do the DLC before the end of the game then you get another boss to fight?

Does that sound right?

Sorry if that's a stupid question but I've been trying to not use guides too much (even though some of the shit you need to do in the end kinda requires it) and even the guides don't really point to the best time to approach the DLC.

There's two exits to the zone. You're doing the very hard one.

That makes me feel a bit better about myself, haha.

You did it right when you lured one by one, I did this area yesterday with no troubles. Just slowly progress, and use a bow to get the attention of one of them. Kill him, and repeat with the next. Shouldnt be too hard. Just mae sure you dont fall down in the holes in the bridge (like I did).

Eventually, you could go the other way, which leads to a new bonfire, a boss and Harvest Valley, which is also fun and not that hard imo. That also gives you some more upgrade materials to make progress easier.

Edit: Fun to see we are at basically the same part in the game btw :) You could also drop down the well (which I actually did before taking on the Gargoyles and the Sinner) for some easy progress.

As we speak I just killed the boss before Harvest Valley. My Dragonrider's twinblade made short work of it, lovely stuff. I'm back in a good mood again after this and now I'm going back to that one part. The bow is a good idea actually, my bad that I kept trying magic. Can you actually increase the range of magic?

As for that well, which one are you taking about? Because I'll check that out then. :)

Do the skill caps function like they do in Bloodborne? Where raising endurance past a certain point doesn't grant any stamina, where raising strength instead of dex or vice versa is kinda pointless etc.

Right now I think I have like 35 vigor, 30 vitality, 25 endurance, 40 strength, 16 dexterity and 35 adp for a melee only build. Gonna get dexterity to 18 first for some weapon requirements then stuck on where to go next.

Do the skill caps function like they do in Bloodborne? Where raising endurance past a certain point doesn't grant any stamina, where raising strength instead of dex or vice versa is kinda pointless etc.

Right now I think I have like 35 vigor, 30 vitality, 25 endurance, 40 strength, 16 dexterity and 35 adp for a melee only build. Gonna get dexterity to 18 first for some weapon requirements then stuck on where to go next.

50 seems to be the cap from what I can tell.

The Dragonrider's Twinblade is powerful but also slow. Which attribute would I need to improve to attack faster with this? ADP or perhaps DEX?
Skills don't increase attack speed, you'd have to choose a different weapon. ADP makes rolling and item use faster though and also gives more iframes per dodge. I can't imagine not leveling it up.

mitchlol

I'm a bit of a souls noob. I played Bloodbourne and got past 3-4 bosses but now I'm thinking of playing Dark Souls 2 SOTFS, 60fps is just too good to not try on consoles. So my question is this. I want to play as a boxer. Fist weapons only. What build do I need to go and how long until I am able to buy some decent fist weapons that scale well? 1/2/3 hours or better yet how many bosses do I need to down before it starts getting fun with the fists?

Top Bottom