• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Mistel

Banned
So i have been using the Hexer outfit for a while now and i love it, but i just found the armor of Aurous and i really like that even more. The problem for now is that my current max equip load is 55 but it's at 61% of that. That's not too good right?

It's best to put some souls into VIT when i level up, correct?
Yes it is a good idea to raise VIT if you want to wear the Aurous set.

Yes it is a good idea to raise VIT if you want to wear the Aurous set.

Nice. I'll definitely do that.

Great looking armor. Reminds me of Sauron actually. Man i love it when games really reward the explorer. If i had gone straight for the boss in this area i would have missed it, but lighting all the torches here and then exploring really rewarded me with the armor. Lovely stuff.

Oh and i noticed i had run out of human effigy and the only person selling it, the merchant in Majula didn't have any left. Hail to the Ring of life Protection though, thank god.

Nice. I'll definitely do that.

Great looking armor. Reminds me of Sauron actually. Man i love it when games really reward the explorer. If i had gone straight for the boss in this area i would have missed it, but lighting all the torches here and then exploring really rewarded me with the armor. Lovely stuff.

Oh and i noticed i had run out of human effigy and the only person selling it, the merchant in Majula didn't have any left. Hail to the Ring of life Protection though, thank god.
Make sure you pick up the ring of binding, makes human effigies much less necessary.

Edit: how easy is it to farm the tseldora set? Can I kill Maughlin without repurcussions?

KingBroly

Banned
Sounds like you don't even want to play the game. Do yourself a favour and uninstall if you hate it so much.

I've been wanting to play it for a while. It's just that I keep finding myself comparing it to previous entries and how I feel like the development team here missed the point over and again.

Novocaine

I've been wanting to play it for a while. It's just that I keep finding myself comparing it to previous entries and how I feel like the development team here missed the point over and again.

It did a lot of things worse than previous games but but it also did many things better, you should try and focus on those instead.

Tarkus

It's an absolute blast. Any Souls gamer that's played all the games will love it.

Not to me. DS3 feels kinda like Demon's. It looks like BB for sure. I'm still figuring out the parry timing. DS2 is my favorite though, I think, but I really love them all.

I haven't really played demon's, messed around a bit with a japanese import when it launched but I hated it. :p
I'm keeping it for a rainy day now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished the Sunken King DLC last night. Those two bosses were tough.

I'm now debating whether or not to immediately go onto the Iron King DLC, or play through the main game a bit more. I just got to Drangleic Castle.

Mistel

Banned
Cheers, also where are the best places to use bonfire ascetics?
Dragon sanctum or Dragon Aerie are the best places to use it for upgrade materials.
Finally finished the Sunken King DLC last night. Those two bosses were tough.

I'm now debating whether or not to immediately go onto the Iron King DLC, or play through the main game a bit more. I just got to Drangleic Castle.
Both are good routes to go both offer good equipment and rewards for exploration Iron King will be harder than Drangelic castle though bare that in mind.

Make sure you pick up the ring of binding, makes human effigies much less necessary.

Edit: how easy is it to farm the tseldora set? Can I kill Maughlin without repurcussions?

But i need the human effigy to become human again, it seems this ring doesn't do that. And i will want to be human as much as possible because i receive more souls. :) What exactly will this ring do for me?

Novocaine

But i need the human effigy to become human again, it seems this ring doesn't do that. And i will want to be human as much as possible because i receive more souls. :) What exactly will this ring do for me?

It just caps the health loss penalty of being hollow. Also if you successfully help someone in their world with a soapstone summon you return to your world as human. Just in case you were unaware.

Mistel

Banned
You don't? I was told this was the case. Well, good to know. So the only true downside to being hollow is more health loss?
You don't who ever told you that is wrong.
Are there repurcussions for killing him after he becomes cocky? I'm trying to farm for the tseldora gear and having no luck
Well you'll lose access to multiple armor sets which you can't get otherwise you can just use the covetous silver ring +2/3 or for nearly equal or greater souls to the tseldora set. It does take a while to get it off the parasite spiders but it does drop.

Are there repurcussions for killing him after he becomes cocky? I'm trying to farm for the tseldora gear and having no luck

Jesters gloves give the same amount of % soul gain as Tsseldora gloves, and if you kill Titchey Gren he drops his hat and you can buy his chest armour from that merchant, chest piece gives a higher % soul gain than Tseldora and the head piece gives the same iirc. Then you're basically just missing the leggings soul drop piece but that's like what, a 2.5 or 3% increased soul gain or something?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is there any certain items or armor I should be wearing to avoid being immediately poisoned while trying to go through the Black Gulch and Harvest Valley? I've gone through tons of Common Fruits and I only have 2 or 3 left.

My hatred of those spitting statues is consuming me. It sucks so hard that they come back after bonfire rest. I was hoping to be able to farm Titanite from those eel looking things in the Gulch.

Is there any certain items or armor I should be wearing to avoid being immediately poisoned while trying to go through the Black Gulch and Harvest Valley? I've gone through tons of Common Fruits and I only have 2 or 3 left.

My hatred of those spitting statues is consuming me. It sucks so hard that they come back after bonfire rest. I was hoping to be able to farm Titanite from those eel looking things in the Gulch.

Gavlaan sells some poison moss clumps. There's also a poison bite ring near the boss in Earthen Peak.

Also the spitting penises don't come back after bonfire rest, only after a loading screen.

Jesters gloves give the same amount of % soul gain as Tsseldora gloves, and if you kill Titchey Gren he drops his hat and you can buy his chest armour from that merchant, chest piece gives a higher % soul gain than Tseldora and the head piece gives the same iirc. Then you're basically just missing the leggings soul drop piece but that's like what, a 2.5 or 3% increased soul gain or something?

Hmm I'll look in to that. What merchant though?

Hmm I'll look in to that. What merchant though? Also I only have the covetous ring that the cat initially gave to me

The merchant you were planning to murder for his set :p.

If you spend like 10k souls at the hag ladies shop, the one you meet at Forest of Fallen giants, she gives you the Silver Serpent Ring +1. Just spend 10k souls in her shop then talk to her.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Gavlaan sells some poison moss clumps. There's also a poison bite ring near the boss in Earthen Peak.

Also the spitting penises don't come back after bonfire rest, only after a loading screen.

Thanks, I think I might have missed Gavlaan because I don't remember him at all.

Also interesting about the spitting dicks maybe i didn't notice that because I've died just about every time down there so they come back when I revive at the bonfire that is past that statue i had to use a branch on.

The merchant you were planning to murder for his set :p.

If you spend like 10k souls at the hag ladies shop, the one you meet at Forest of Fallen giants, she gives you the Silver Serpent Ring +1. Just spend 10k souls in her shop then talk to her.

Ah alright I'll look in my inventory. Where's Titties Gren at

Mistel

Banned
Undead purgatory.
Generally cloth armors have higher poison resist than steel armor so shadow set should be helpful.

Thanks, I think I might have missed Gavlaan because I don't remember him at all.

Also interesting about the spitting dicks maybe i didn't notice that because I've died just about every time down there so they come back when I revive at the bonfire that is past that statue i had to use a branch on.

You first meet him at No Man's Wharf, if you exhaust his dialogue he moves to Earthen Peak I think.

You encounter him after defeating the boss
Executioners Chariot

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I just assumed he was an enemy when I met him, and killed him off lol. No anti-poison items for me. At least those butterflies in Huntmans Corpse drop them pretty regularly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yeah, made it through Shrine of Amana in one go. I remember dying constantly in this area in the original Dark Souls II.

Boy, Black Gulch is pretty annoying with those poison spitting statues everywhere. This ring for poison resist isn't doing much. What's the best way /item to not have the poison happening so quickly?

Mistel

Banned
That's probably going to be my best bet because right before the boss there's this terribly annoying invader who manages to kill me within seconds. Man these invaders are getting tiresome.
You can just burn a human effigy to stop that, why are they giving you so much trouble?

You can just burn a human effigy to stop that, why are they giving you so much trouble?

Oh shit i think i know what it is. I still have the rat as my covenant. I need to join the covenant of the blue again in Majula. That should keep a lot of invaders away. Just now right after the bonfire in Black Gulch there was yet another invader, so me not being in the covenant of the Blue is clearly the reason for that. This invader wasn't too bad, but the one who constantly spawns close to the boss door is very strong

This is some fucking bullshit. I burned a human effigy and yet the invader appeared right in front of that boss door, really now? Sigh. This dude has a broadsword and is just OP for me.....these aren't even player invaders, right? So playing this part offline wouldn;t matter.

Mistel

Banned
Oh shit i think i know what it is. I still have the rat as my covenant. I need to join the covenant of the blue again in Majula. That should keep a lot of invaders away. Just now right after the bonfire in Black Gulch there was yet another invader, so me not being in the covenant of the Blue is clearly the reason for that. This invader wasn't too bad, but the one who constantly spawns close to the boss door is very strong.
It's not that simple I'm afraid way of the blue doesn't stop you from being invaded at all. Champions does but it'll make the game harder.

Mike M

Nick N
Oh shit i think i know what it is. I still have the rat as my covenant. I need to join the covenant of the blue again in Majula. That should keep a lot of invaders away. Just now right after the bonfire in Black Gulch there was yet another invader, so me not being in the covenant of the Blue is clearly the reason for that. This invader wasn't too bad, but the one who constantly spawns close to the boss door is very strong

This is some fucking bullshit. I burned a human effigy and yet the invader appeared right in front of that boss door, really now? Sigh. This dude has a broadsword and is just OP for me.....these aren't even player invaders, right? So playing this part offline wouldn;t matter.
You're getting invaded by scripted NPC invaders, not the players. Burning an effigy only blocks human players (including summon signs).

If the guys in Black Gulch are giving you trouble, you can probably lure them into falling off the cliff face. I know they have trouble path finding to the second bonfire, and they'd probably have trouble following you to some of the secretish parts of the level.

It's not that simple I'm afraid way of the blue doesn't stop you from being invaded at all. Champions does but it'll make the game harder.

Oh my bad. Good to know though.

Made it to Black Gluch, this place is awful.

Yeah it definitely is man, for some reason this place is ruining my fun. The statues with their poison are beyond annoying, those things that come out of those ponds are not a big deal but annoying and that goddamn invader at the boss gate just tops it off. I tried to run through it all a few times, each time getting poisoned to shit. Then entering the mist and trying to fight the boss. He seemed damn slow..but boy was i wrong.

Maybe it's best to just call it quits for now. There's always tomorrow.

You're getting invaded by scripted NPC invaders, not the players. Burning an effigy only blocks human players (including summon signs).

If the guys in Black Gulch are giving you trouble, you can probably lure them into falling off the cliff face. I know they have trouble path finding to the second bonfire, and they'd probably have trouble following you to some of the secretish parts of the level.

I only have one bonfire in Black Gulch right now, i'm not even past the boss fight yet. I did manage to have the first invader drop off a ledge, but the dude close to the boss door isn't too dumb. Plus i can't really jump or go to a place where he can't. I gotta face him. I've probably played the game a bit too much today, it feels like i've lost my mojo...so to speak. :)

I checked my items and noticed i have two silver talismans, do i only fool player invaders with this or also NPC ones? There's another one i got where i take the appearance of a phantom, but i am guessing this is only for human players as well, right?

MUnited83

For you.
Boy, Black Gulch is pretty annoying with those poison spitting statues everywhere. This ring for poison resist isn't doing much. What's the best way /item to not have the poison happening so quickly?

Destroy them with your sword. Go back to bonfire when low on health or when you want to cure poison/repair weapon. They won't spawn back (as long as you dont teleport out)

Mike M

Nick N
Oh my bad. Good to know though.

Yeah it definitely is man, for some reason this place is ruining my fun. The statues with their poison are beyond annoying, those things that come out of those ponds are not a big deal but annoying and that goddamn invader at the boss gate just tops it off. I tried to run through it all a few times, each time getting poisoned to shit. Then entering the mist and trying to fight the boss. He seemed damn slow..but boy was i wrong.

Maybe it's best to just call it quits for now. There's always tomorrow.

I only have one bonfire in Black Gulch right now, i'm not even past the boss fight yet. I did manage to have the first invader drop off a ledge, but the dude close to the boss door isn't too dumb. Plus i can't really jump or go to a place where he can't. I gotta face him. I've probably played the game a bit too much today, it feels like i've lost my mojo...so to speak. :)

I checked my items and noticed i have two silver talismans, do i only fool player invaders with this or also NPC ones? There's another one i got where i take the appearance of a phantom, but i am guessing this is only for human players as well, right?

Second bonfire is before the boss.
Stick to the cliff edge past the two worms and you'll see a path leading up over where it meets the wall. Just watch out for the tar monster in the pool right at the head of the trail.

So, strategy is as follows:
*Find that bonfire.
*Light up the tar pits with fire arrows
*Smash statues
*Return to bonfire as needed
*Repeat until statues are cleared out.

When the invader spawns, just run back to the bonfire, he has trouble navigating the path to follow you.

Destroy them with your sword. Go back to bonfire when low on health or when you want to cure poison/repair weapon. They won't spawn back (as long as you dont teleport out)

Oh that's fantastic to know. But when i die....they do come back i noticed. So only if i stay in the area, but i can do that.

I noticed that my fire longsword isnt really hurting the Black Gulch boss much, but it makes sense, since his whole area has fire and what not. So he clearly has resistance to it. What kind of element would work nicely against him?

Second bonfire is before the boss.
Stick to the cliff edge past the two worms and you'll see a path leading up over where it meets the wall. Just watch out for the tar monster in the pool right at the head of the trail.

So, strategy is as follows:
*Find that bonfire.
*Light up the tar pits with fire arrows
*Smash statues
*Return to bonfire as needed
*Repeat until statues are cleared out.

When the invader spawns, just run back to the bonfire, he has trouble navigating the path to follow you.

Oh damn, really? Just now i thought i had explored every inch here, but it is quite dark here too. I dont have any fire arrows but now is a good time as any to stock up on them. As for the invader, we took care of him. I used a human effigy, noticed two summon marks and thought...fuck it, i'm tired of you invader, haha. I then figured i might as well try the boss with them too. Almost killed him, but i got greedy when there was this incredibly small bit of health left...and i went in for the kill, when i should have ran away, used a estus and then go for the kill. Ah well.

Oh i also wanted to say that the help i get here is fantastic.

Mike M

Nick N
Oh that's fantastic to know. But when i die....they do come back i noticed. So only if i stay in the area, but i can do that.

I noticed that my fire longsword isnt really hurting the Black Gulch boss much, but it makes sense, since his whole area has fire and what not. So he clearly has resistance to it. What kind of element would work nicely against him?

Oh damn, really? Just now i thought i had explored every inch here, but it is quite dark here too. I dont have any fire arrows but now is a good time as any to stock up on them. As for the invader, we took care of him. I used a human effigy, noticed two summon marks and thought...fuck it, i'm tired of you invader, haha. I then figured i might as well try the boss with them too. Almost killed him, but i got greedy when there was this incredibly small bit of health left...and i went in for the kill, when i should have ran away, used a estus and then go for the kill. Ah well.

Oh i also wanted to say that the help i get here is fantastic.
Great work!
That invader has an identical twin who will now invade.

Top Bottom