• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Skills don't increase attack speed, you'd have to choose a different weapon. ADP makes rolling and item use faster though and also gives more iframes per dodge. I can't imagine not leveling it up.

OK thanks man. Thats really good to know.

One more thing for now. The item below the bridge that leads to Undead Purgatory, is it worth it? Because I have tried every way possible to get to that damn item but I either drop off the bridge just a bit too far and I fall to my death or I land on that other piece of rock from where I try to jump towards the item but he jumps too far and.... dies. Sigh.

GulAtiCa

Yep. Unless you are leveling your Attument up, level up your ADP!!!! Super useful. Esp if you are doing no magic build what so ever.

OK thanks man. Thats really good to know.

One more thing for now. The item below the bridge that leads to Undead Purgatory, is it worth it? Because I have tried every way possible to get to that damn item but I either drop off the bridge just a bit too far and I fall to my death or I land on that other piece of rock from where I try to jump towards the item but he jumps too far and.... dies. Sigh.

I know exactly what item you're talking about lol. I just ignored it, the game doesn't auto-kick you in to NG+ so I'm just gonna go back to areas when I'm done to try and nab the things I missed out on.

Edit: Also do any Halberds scale better with STR than DEX? Finally what are some of the best/worst great hammers? I think for UGS I'm fine sticking with the Greatsword for now but wanna have a second weapon and was considering a Great Hammer.

Took a much needed break for Hyper Light Drifter (which was fucking rad, 11/10, will play five more times) and retrieved the Ashen Mist Heart last night... Whew. What an approach to that final dragon. Proceeded to be stomped in the triple fight at (what feels like) the end of Shulva, then went to Brume and fell to another triple fight, this time with spawning skeletal ghosts at the bottom of the stairs.

I thought I got gud during Drifter but I was mistaken. :( Also becoming acquanted with a XOne controller versus 360, so maybe I'm a little off. Figured a Souls game was the best way to become acquainted with how the sticks felt.

Mistel

Banned
Playing the game now and trying to level up Bell keeper covenant . Anyway to do it offline because pvp is laggy as hell?
You can level up off the mad warrior in belfry sol offline.
Also do any Halberds scale better with STR than DEX? Finally what are some of the best/worst great hammers? I think for UGS I'm fine sticking with the Greatsword for now but wanna have a second weapon and was considering a Great Hammer.
A number of halberds scale better with STR than DEX like the old knight pike, lucerne, mastodon halberd, scythe, dragon rider halberd, and the wrath axe as for which is best it depends on what sort of build you're using really but for pure STR then a mastodon halberd is good. As for great hammers that's a bit more of a difficult question as there's the halberd style ones which are essentially the strike type version of halberds in the form of the drakekeeper's warpick and the archdrake mace both of which are good halberd substitutes arguably even better. Best/Worst varies a bit but for great hammers but generally you'll be fine with a smelter hammer or a giant club if you do not want a halberd style one.
The Dragonrider's Twinblade is powerful but also slow. Which attribute would I need to improve to attack faster with this? ADP or perhaps DEX?
Two hand it that's the faster moveset than its single hand one.

Yep. Unless you are leveling your Attument up, level up your ADP!!!! Super useful. Esp if you are doing no magic build what so ever.

Oh but I am doing a sorcerer + warrior build. No heavy armors though, the Hexer outfit will do just fine. As for attunement I have it at 20,so that's 4 slots. Enough for the time being. I'll go improve my ADP for a while now then, since it's only 11.

I know exactly what item you're talking about lol. I just ignored it, the game doesn't auto-kick you in to NG+ so I'm just gonna go back to areas when I'm done to try and nab the things I missed out on.

Edit: Also do any Halberds scale better with STR than DEX? Finally what are some of the best/worst great hammers? I think for UGS I'm fine sticking with the Greatsword for now but wanna have a second weapon and was considering a Great Hammer.

After I wrote that message I tried it one more time and I succeeded, lol. It was worth it for the Pharros lockstone. But I also received Token of Fidelity. It's proof of helping another world's master. Not sure what it is to me.

Neoweee

I'm a bit of a souls noob. I played Bloodbourne and got past 3-4 bosses but now I'm thinking of playing Dark Souls 2 SOTFS, 60fps is just too good to not try on consoles. So my question is this. I want to play as a boxer. Fist weapons only. What build do I need to go and how long until I am able to buy some decent fist weapons that scale well? 1/2/3 hours or better yet how many bosses do I need to down before it starts getting fun with the fists?

You can buy dual Caestus from the first vendor in the first real zone. 0 Bosses.

Boxing isn't really that good (short range hurts them) but they do have good scaling with both Strength and Dex, and you'll be light weight so you'll get good rolls and stamina regen.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/21pbtp/guide_punching_things_into_oblivion_what_the/

At 15 Str / 10 Dex you can do special and proper dual wield stance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbkl-jt0mi0

oVUB03n.jpg

why does the cape clip through greatshields ;_;

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
That makes me feel a bit better about myself, haha.

As we speak I just killed the boss before Harvest Valley. My Dragonrider's twinblade made short work of it, lovely stuff. I'm back in a good mood again after this and now I'm going back to that one part. The bow is a good idea actually, my bad that I kept trying magic. Can you actually increase the range of magic?

As for that well, which one are you taking about? Because I'll check that out then. :)

Nice progress there! Im going to cross the bridge and try to take on the boss there in an hour or so (when my son is sleeping). The well im talking about is in the middle of Majula, you can drop down there with the Silvercat Ring and some points to increase health.

How's the Drakekeeper's UGS in comparison to the GS? I like the look and moveset of the DUGS more I think but does the GS do more damage per swing?

Is it wise to the start the DLC before the main story?

The way it (unfortunately) works is that you usually need to find an item or two while playing the campaign to be able to access the DLC. There's no way to play it outside of the main game, it's integrated into the experience. This was especially annoying with dark souls 1 as if you finished that game, it immediately rolled into NG+ meaning you would need to replay like half the game just to try it out.

yeah.

But anywho, the DLC for this game seems to be some of the toughest content in it from what i've read so apparently it's best to leave it for when you're near the end of the game.

Well I guess I won't get to dks3 anytime soon.

Would you have skipped the main game if you could? Outside of the first few hours where adp is low the game is pretty good, better than DS1's second half at least. It's better this way anyway, I'll get around to 3 by the time its technical issues are better, its DLC is in the main game and its price is cheaper. Win-win.

Neoweee

Is it wise to the start the DLC before the main story?

You can rush to them fairly early and do suicide looting runs, but you won't be able to kill shit until much later. The earliest you "do" them is about the halfway point of them game, but they are really hard and you can't cheese the enemies due to their ranged magic defense.

None of the Key Items are really further in the game than the entrances to the DLC.

Morfeo

Wow, I really like that Chariot-boss. Died on my first try, but was able to get about half his health, so should be able to take him down in a few tries. Remind me of the goron boss in Majoras Mask for those that have played that.

Jake2by4

Would you have skipped the main game if you could? Outside of the first few hours where adp is low the game is pretty good, better than DS1's second half at least. It's better this way anyway, I'll get around to 3 by the time its technical issues are better, its DLC is in the main game and its price is cheaper. Win-win.

No I don't think I would skip it. I should just take my time with this game.

Morfeo

The Chariot in the Undead Purgatory actually took quite a few tried to take down, despite almost doing it on my first try. Probably the boss Ive had second to most trouble with so far (after the gargoyles). Even completely cleaned the area leading up to it for using so many tries, but anyways, finally did it, and it was a cool fight for sure, even though the horse itself was pretty simple in the end.

ugh throne watcher/defender are so fucking annoying

I've gotten so close to beating them and just nope, they always manage to revive each other at the last second

then there's the ancient dragon with his fire spamming

and then I'm also supposed to beat a giant memory or something to progress in the main game

at least I look pretty

Nice progress there! Im going to cross the bridge and try to take on the boss there in an hour or so (when my son is sleeping). The well im talking about is in the middle of Majula, you can drop down there with the Silvercat Ring and some points to increase health.

Ah that one, yes i've been down there yesterday and picked up everything i could pick up. Several new locations are found that way, but i went back to finishing the other locations first. I made some nice progress today, really happy about it. Killed the Harvest Valley boss, Undead Purgatory boss and also the Earthen Peak one. The feeling when you kill a boss, just so good. Sometimes summoning someone before a boss fight is very very tempting, but i did not do that for the those two and neither the two in Huntman's Copse. The feeling of achievement is just much bigger that way. I should only summon when there's absolutely no way i am going to defeat the boss myself.

The Chariot in the Undead Purgatory actually took quite a few tried to take down, despite almost doing it on my first try. Probably the boss Ive had second to most trouble with so far (after the gargoyles). Even completely cleaned the area leading up to it for using so many tries, but anyways, finally did it, and it was a cool fight for sure, even though the horse itself was pretty simple in the end.

Really cool fight. I went after those mages first and in the process hiding in those corners where you are save from the boss. After they were gone and the skeletons too, i had to find out how to really hit the boss because it moves so fast. I few times with the binoculars and magic, but what was absolutely sweet was that there's a lever. I used it. This closed the gate and the boss crashed into it...what was left to fight was the horsey. Great stuff.

I was curious how far along i was in the game and i searched for it online, turns out i have a shitload left, plus the DLC bosses.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

I am at 14 now.

I tried Iron Keep, but i kept being bothered by dark spirits and i barely hurt them, so that was definitely a sign that i shouldn't be there.

Mistel

Banned
A
I tried Iron Keep, but i kept being bothered by dark spirits and i barely hurt them, so that was definitely a sign that i shouldn't be there.
Invaders aren't really a good indicator of the difficult of an area itself especially those that were an addition to the game.

Morfeo

Ah that one, yes i've been down there yesterday and picked up everything i could pick up. Several new locations are found that way, but i went back to finishing the other locations first. I made some nice progress today, really happy about it. Killed the Harvest Valley boss and also the Earthen Peak one. The feeling when you kill a boss, just so good. Sometimes summoning someone before a boss fight is very very tempting, but i did not do that for the those two and neither the two in Huntman's Copse.

Really cool fight. I went after those mages first and in the process hiding in those corners where you are save from the boss. After they were gone and the skeletons too, i had to find out how to really hit the boss because it moves so fast. I few times with the binoculars and magic, but what was absolutely sweet was that there's a lever. I used it. This closed the gate and the boss crashed into it...what was left to fight was the horsey. Great stuff.

I was curious how far along i was in the game and i searched for it online, turns out i have a shitload left, plus the DLC bosses.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

I am at 14 now.

Yeah, thats about how I fought the chariot as well. Really cool guy. Btw, I just did everything in Harvest Valley as well, but did not find a boss there, strange. Did find Earthen Peak though, so guess that is my next target for tomorrow. Nice to know we have loads of stuff left in this great game!

Edit: Btw, pretty evil trap in Harvest Valley with those four double-wielders, almost felt like a boss I guess :)

That fight is really awesome, I like it. Congrats on beating him, if you want a way to really cheese that fight, here:
If you manage to hit him with arrows while he is doing the jump, after a few times he will fail the jump and you can wail on the horses trying to get grip and climb up, then they die super quick lol.

I know many people don't want Dark Souls 3 info here, but I just wanna ask one question about a boss and I'm afraid the DaS 3 OT might spoil something. It's a relatively mid-game boss not too much of a spoiler .

Has anyone here Solo'd Pontiff? I can't beat him solo, he is super quick and never lets up for very long. I'm just curious if any of you summoned help or got gud and solo'd him :p.

Invaders aren't really a good indicator of the difficult of an area itself especially those that were an addition to the game.

Hmmmm ok. Hold on, iron keep is DLC then? So far I have been able to kill most dark spirits, but here they are tough as hell and murder me within seconds. And worse, it's not just one right at the start of the area when I open the big doors, but another one appears.

Yeah, thats about how I fought the chariot as well. Really cool guy. Btw, I just did everything in Harvest Valley as well, but did not find a boss there, strange. Did find Earthen Peak though, so guess that is my next target for tomorrow. Nice to know we have loads of stuff left in this great game!

Edit: Btw, pretty evil trap in Harvest Valley with those four double-wielders, almost felt like a boss I guess :)

Ah hold on. I said Harvest Valley boss eh? I meant Earthen Peak then. I forgot that you walk from Harvest Valley right into Earthen Peak. And quite soon you have the mist with boss there.

That fight is really awesome, I like it. Congrats on beating him, if you want a way to really cheese that fight, here:
If you manage to hit him with arrows while he is doing the jump, after a few times he will fail the jump and you can wail on the horses trying to get grip and climb up, then they die super quick lol.

I know many people don't want Dark Souls 3 info here, but I just wanna ask one question about a boss and I'm afraid the DaS 3 OT might spoil something. It's a relatively mid-game boss not too much of a spoiler .

Has anyone here Solo'd Pontiff? I can't beat him solo, he is super quick and never lets up for very long. I'm just curious if any of you summoned help or got gud and solo'd him :p.

Haha that's super awesome. I had no idea that was possible. But I also really didn't take my time to experiment there. Soon as I had found my save place to hide I wanted to get rid of the boss as soon as possible, haha.

Morfeo

I didnt even realize you could hit him before you lowered the bar, so pretty nice to learn about other methods as well.

Hmmmm ok. Hold on, iron keep is DLC then? So far I have been able to kill most dark spirits, but here they are tough as hell and murder me within seconds. And worse, it's not just one right at the start of the area when I open the big doors, but another one appears.

Ah hold on. I said Harvest Valley boss eh? I meant Earthen Peak then. I forgot that you walk from Harvest Valley right into Earthen Peak. And quite soon you have the mist with boss there.

Haha that's super awesome. I had no idea that was possible. But I also really didn't take my time to experiment there. Soon as I had found my save place to hide I wanted to get rid of the boss as soon as possible, haha.

I didnt even realize you could hit him before you lowered the bar, so pretty nice to learn about other methods as well.
Haha yeah it's pretty tough to pull off. I learned about it from a YouTuber called VaatiVidya, does a lot of Souls related content.

Mistel

Banned
No it's not a DLC area the invaders where added within the SOTFS release Fencer Sharron and Armorer Dennis where never originally there at all.

Ancient Dragon is bulllllshit. I can't escape the rain of fire even sprinting towards the tail. Ugh, one of my least favorite Souls borne boss fights so far.

Add me to the list that completely missed the trick with the Earthen Peak boss.

Ancient Dragon is bulllllshit. I can't escape the rain of fire even sprinting towards the tail. Ugh, one of my least favorite Souls borne boss fights so far.

Add me to the list that completely missed the trick with the Earthen Peak boss.
It's very noticeable when he's about to take flight. Basically when he kinda hunces down he's about to take off, then sprint to the end of his tail very quickly. Try being in under 50% equip load so your stamina regen is higher. Also not sure how much it'll help but use the fire quartz ring and that other elements resistance ring.

KingBroly

Banned
I need to know where I should go. I'm very early on in the game and I just keep dying because the AI in this game is fucking horseshit random. If it's not them constantly attacking, it's them going from attack animation to the other without much care for what animation it's in.

I've beaten the
Last Giant, but I cannot figure out where to go next. I also keep dying to that fucking AI Invader POS that uses magic in the same area.

I'm pretty frustrated, tbh.

The lack of direction the game is giving me is frustrating me as well. Dark Souls 1 said go up or down. This one's like 'nope, you figure it out.'

RiggyRob

I need to know where I should go. I'm very early on in the game and I just keep dying because the AI in this game is fucking horseshit random. If it's not them constantly attacking, it's them going from attack animation to the other without much care for what animation it's in.

I've beaten the
Last Giant, but I cannot figure out where to go next. I also keep dying to that fucking AI Invader POS that uses magic in the same area.

I'm pretty frustrated, tbh.

The lack of direction the game is giving me is frustrating me as well. Dark Souls 1 said go up or down. This one's like 'nope, you figure it out.'

The NPC invader Dennis the Armourer in Forest of the Fallen Giants is in a dead end, you can leave that for now.

Since you've beaten the first boss, I'd suggest using the key you picked up and trying all the locked doors you couldn't get past before.

Haha yeah it's pretty tough to pull off. I learned about it from a YouTuber called VaatiVidya, does a lot of Souls related content.

I was very lucky to be standing in a corner where right in front of me was the lever, i really wanted to know what it was going to do. For all i knew it was going to open a door with more baddies, you never know with Dark Souls, haha.

No it's not a DLC area the invaders where added within the SOTFS release Fencer Sharron and Armorer Dennis where never originally there at all.

To be honest i find these invaders adding very little to the game so far, yeah..more like an annoyance they are adding. I am able to kill off the normal enemies in Iron Keep no problem, but these two invaders...sigh. Overall i really am not too fond of the enemy places in some areas. Where in DS2 there would only be one of those rogue like enemies in Earthen Peak, i get like four of them thrown at me. And yeah...those invaders.

KingBroly

Banned
The NPC invader Dennis the Armourer in Forest of the Fallen Giants is in a dead end, you can leave that for now.

Since you've beaten the first boss, I'd suggest using the key you picked up and trying all the locked doors you couldn't get past before.

Okay...how do I beat that
Knight that I ran into and can't escape from because THE GAME DOESN'T GIVE ME ONE SECOND TO HOMEWARD BONE?

I just joined the
Rat King covenant
in Grave of the Saints. Must i wear the ring to be summoned and help the
rats
or can i just have the ring in my inventory and wear other rings? Because in the case of the blue ring, it said i don't need to wear it to be protected from invaders.

Oh and about the Blue Seal ring....when invaders come into my world it says i can summon Blue Sentinels. How though?

Mike M

Nick N
I just joined the
Rat King covenant
in Grave of the Saints. Must i wear the ring to be summoned and help the
rats
or can i just have the ring in my inventory and wear other rings? Because in the case of the blue ring, it said i don't need to wear it to be protected from invaders.
You have to wear the ring, but it actually summons people to your world for shenanigans.

RiggyRob

Okay...how do I beat that
Knight that I ran into and can't escape from because THE GAME DOESN'T GIVE ME ONE SECOND TO HOMEWARD BONE?

I don't know who you're talking about, the Pursuer? Homeward Bone-ing only really worked in Bloodborne I found unless the boss has a massive start-up animation, and even in Bloodborne there were only a few instances where you could do it safely.

So i have been using the Hexer outfit for a while now and i love it, but i just found the armor of Aurous and i really like that even more. The problem for now is that my current max equip load is 55 but it's at 61% of that. That's not too good right?

It's best to put some souls into VIT when i level up, correct?

Top Bottom