• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

That part is one hard enemy replacing two hard enemies of a different kind, which you will fight later.

What Covenant are you in? You're not accidentally Company of Champions, are you?

I was in the Way of Blue but i keep having invaders mess with me on the way to the belfry gargoyles so I ended up switching to the Bell Keepers to see if that would make my life easier.

that didn't really help that much lol.

Also, I paid the gentleman by the well in majula for his ladder services, i paid him the medium amount of souls, and im pretty sure that he just gave me a ladder that leads to nowhere. I guess im just better off falling down the well bit by bit

Mistel

Banned
Haha that seems a little hardcore for me... I'm not very good at doing skill/speed runs so this probably wouldn't end well. It's something to consider if I git gud though!
You could do caestus run similar experience less hassle the video only applies to vanilla really things changed within SOTFS which make it harder by a bit.
I was in the Way of Blue but i keep having invaders mess with me on the way to the belfry gargoyles so I ended up switching to the Bell Keepers to see if that would make my life easier.

that didn't really help that much lol.
That's because it is a PvP area which is protected by bell keepers aka the invaders.

That's because it is a PvP area which is protected by bell keepers aka the invaders.

I had no idea this game had any PvP areas, i just kept feeling super annoyed that the game was making my trek to the next boss so hard with the constant invasions.

I wish there was something to denote PvP areas, I'm always trying to poke and prod at the nooks and crannies of the game so it sucks to be stuck in a PvP area and not even know it.

I like how the Dark Souls 1 DLC handled it, where the game explicitly told you that an area is for PvP stuff so I didn't even bother with it.

GulAtiCa

Now at like lv 125 on my new heavy set character. I switched to a +10 Claymore. Worse scaling, but way better hitbox & reach. And the 2-handed R1 now actually useful. Just reached the shrine of amana. Will get out my bow and attempt this annoying area! Though, should be fine.

Since I want to get to lv 150 and now waste any souls (and lock myself in at like 1.75M). I have been being conservative on stuff. Only stuff I bought was stuff like my claymore, soul trades and weapon upgrades. Didn't unlock the main blacksmitch and only use the one at Lost Bastille. etc. Did lose like 40k on 2nd part of Iron Keep...

Assuming I have enough time tonight, might just reach the 3rd Dragon Ring, which will help out greatly. I'll replace my Life Ring +1 with it.

Though, at midnight I am in Dark Souls 3! So see you all on the other side!

Mistel

Banned
I had no idea this game had any PvP areas, i just kept feeling super annoyed that the game was making my trek to the next boss so hard with the constant invasions.

I wish there was something to denote PvP areas, I'm always trying to poke and prod at the nooks and crannies of the game so it sucks to be stuck in a PvP area and not even know it.

I like how the Dark Souls 1 DLC handled it, where the game explicitly told you that an area is for PvP stuff so I didn't even bother with it.
It has a mix of the more traditional arenas then the optional side areas like the belfries. There's an NPC that tells you it's a PVP area but the actual zone is from the bridge forwards not from the door itself.

I've just finished the game. It was really fun; especially since I'd heard a lot of negativity about it. I think Dark Souls was better- it was certainly more memorable, but this game didn't really have any bad areas, unlike Dark Souls.
I'd say it was more of the same really, and that's absolutely fine by me to be honest.

Onemic

I've just finished the game. It was really fun; especially since I'd heard a lot of negativity about it. I think Dark Souls was better- it was certainly more memorable, but this game didn't really have any bad areas, unlike Dark Souls.
I'd say it was more of the same really, and that's absolutely fine by me to be honest.

The negativity toward this game is pretty overblown tbh. Although some of the criticisms are true, they dont make the game 'bad' even by souls standards.

It's too bad that DS3 unlocks in an hour and a half because now my mission to complete DS2 before DS3 comes out wont be complete.

Neoweee

I really appreciated it more and more with replays. Build variety is still the best out of the five games. Next time, replay it as a different build, hopefully one of a different weight range, play it through as Company of Champions, and do bosses and zones in a different order.

Each time I replay the game, I appreciate it more.

The negativity toward this game is pretty overblown tbh. Although some of the criticisms are true, they dont make the game 'bad' even by souls standards.

It's too bad that DS3 unlocks in an hour and a half because now my mission to complete DS2 before DS3 comes out wont be complete.

Even if you don't finish it before DS3 comes out you should definitely go back and do so at some point.

I really appreciated it more and more with replays. Build variety is still the best out of the five games. Next time, replay it as a different build, hopefully one of a different weight range, play it through as Company of Champions, and do bosses and zones in a different order.

I actually played this game differently to normal. On Demon's Souls and Dark Souls I played as a Wanderer (I did chose the equivalent on this but decided to play as a sort of Paladin build a few hours into it, with high strength and faith, and bulky armour) with light equipment, an Uchigatana and the best dex crossbow in my right hand, and a Shotel and something that shoots fire in my left hand. I think playing it differently helped keep this fresh, as turtling behind a great shield whilst holding a lance and casting miracles was completely different to the faster paced, dodge roll heavy gameplay I'm used to.

Onemic

do you receive more souls when part of CoC?

RiggyRob

Episode 27, myself vs. Giant Lord: https://youtu.be/IikP-p3HrA4

The setup to this fight is pretty spectacular - giants sweeping humans aside on the top of a battlement while fiery death rains from above, and then there it is - the Giant Lord.

Being able to summon Drummond for the fight is a nice touch, but I'm not entirely sure what Benhart's doing in the memories of the giants?

Neoweee

do you receive more souls when part of CoC?

No. It really is just Hard mode. Blocks you from Co-Op, including helping others, so you can't get Souls from helping others. You have to make good use of all of those heaps of Souls you get from each boss.

Enemies taking one or two more hits each totally changes the math of combat, and I'm pretty sure the damage changes also influence poise damage.

Mistel

Banned
Enemies taking one or two more hits each totally changes the math of combat, and I'm pretty sure the damage changes also influence poise damage.
As far as I'm aware poise damage remains the same, never seen it mention either until you brought it up.
Being able to summon Drummond for the fight is a nice touch, but I'm not entirely sure what Benhart's doing in the memories of the giants?
Benhart is there for the fight with the Giant Lord as well he somehow has the ashen heart mist ability as he enters the memories as well it not really explained at all like ever anywhere.

Tarkus

Isn't CoC just the next NG up, with no summons, no red phantom enemies, nor despawning enemies? I use it for farming rare equipment.

Neoweee

Isn't CoC just the next NG up, with no summons, no red phantom enemies, nor despawning enemies? I use it for farming rare equipment.

It is not. The jump to NG+ in the early areas would be much more difficult than CoC is. It's ~20-30% damage +/-, or at least in that ballpark.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
CoC is the equivalent of having two phantoms in your world, except you are solo.

It's literally that, I tested it lol. I was helping someone as a phantom (who had another phantom with them) to get some sunlight medals to get the miracles, and then switched to CoC, and did exactly the same damage.

wiibomb

anyone knows if there is a shortcut to a bonfire near nashandra?

I see there is a fog gate there and there are signs everywhere about a boss battle, but I don't want to enter until I find a shortcut or a bonfire near it since the path is long from the bonfire I came.

Mike M

Nick N
anyone knows if there is a shortcut to a bonfire near nashandra?

I see there is a fog gate there and there are signs everywhere about a boss battle, but I don't want to enter until I find a shortcut or a bonfire near it since the path is long from the bonfire I came.

Yeah, it sounds like you missed the hidden bonfire.

Past the room with the cursed painting when you go outside again. After the first rotunda with the knight, there's the platform with a couple swordsman. There's a ladder on the left. Bonfire's behind a hidden wall.

RiggyRob

Benhart is there for the fight with the Giant Lord as well he somehow has the ashen heart mist ability as he enters the memories as well it not really explained at all like ever anywhere.

You'd think that another person having the Ashen Mist Heart would be a pretty big deal! Originally I thought that it was just Benhart's ancestor, but it is literally him.

Mistel

Banned
You'd think that another person having the Ashen Mist Heart would be a pretty big deal! Originally I thought that it was just Benhart's ancestor, but it is literally him.
Yep he even his dialogue acknowledges he knows you already when you enter the memory it's one of those things really he's just sort of there already. Maybe it's similar to Lordran and time is distorted but who knows.

RiggyRob

Yep he even his dialogue acknowledges he knows you already when you enter the memory it's one of those things really he's just sort of there already. Maybe it's similar to Lordran and time is distorted but who knows.

Impossible...

After looking around for more about him online, I actually quite like the theory that Benhart is doing the same quest you are, hence why you can summon him for Giant Lord, Throne Defender & Watcher, Looking Glass Knight and
Nashandra
. Plus he's holding what he believes to be the super mega ultra rare magic weapon passed down his family for generations, it makes sense he'd think he's the hero.

Still would've been nice to clarify it to the player in some way, though.

Neoweee

wait, so there is a benefit in terms of enemies dropping better stuff vs not being in CoC?

No. Well, enemies will drop the Awestones, their covenant item. And it disables the limited respawning of enemies.

It really is just a Hard mode, and a hell of a fun one.

I'm not convinced that it is only two-phantom mode. It definitely changes damage taken and damage received, but doesn't appear to be a flat % buff, either.

wiibomb

Yeah, it sounds like you missed the hidden bonfire.

Past the room with the cursed painting when you go outside again. After the first rotunda with the knight, there's the platform with a couple swordsman. There's a ladder on the left. Bonfire's behind a hidden wall.

thanks, yeah that's the problem, I never found the hidden wall

I got the Rotten, Old Iron King, and the Lost Sinner souls and then I accidentally stumbled into drangleic castle thinking I had enough souls but instead got killed instantly as I was still short one soul lol

Sometimes, not going with a guide can be silly. I assumed the last great soul was inside the castle and, nope, i still need to venture around past the shaded woods and the scorpion lady to get the final great soul. Still, i can see the finish line!

RiggyRob

I got the Rotten, Old Iron King, and the Lost Sinner souls and then I accidentally stumbled into drangleic castle thinking I had enough souls but instead got killed instantly as I was still short one soul lol

Sometimes, not going with a guide can be silly. I assumed the last great soul was inside the castle and, nope, i still need to venture around past the shaded woods and the scorpion lady to get the final great soul. Still, i can see the finish line!

You've got almost half the game to go, at least in terms of required bosses.

You've got almost half the game to go, at least in terms of required bosses.

wait what

you serious?

I mean if it's just bosses then fine, i would almost prefer that given that outside of the ruins sentinels giving me fits because i was underleveled I've pretty much manhandled every other boss.

I say bring it on!

wiibomb

wait what

you serious?

I mean if it's just bosses then fine, i would almost prefer that given that outside of the ruins sentinels giving me fits because i was underleveled I've pretty much manhandled every other boss.

I say bring it on!

if you ever played DkS1 this should be expected... you are nowhere near the end, I can already feel it. I'm at the castle too with all the great souls (4)

I haven't played or seen a guide about DkS2, but I can smell the objective change since I already played DkS1

Neoweee

wait........what? Im pretty much where he is, three old souls in. I thought I was 75% done.

It's a long, long game.

If you really want to judge your progress, there are
---31-----
bosses in the base game, plus 9 in the DLC. But a ton of the bosses are optional.

Been playing this game today again and really enjoying it. Have now defeated The Pursuer, The last Giant, Heide tower boss, No man's wharf boss, Sinner boss. The character I am going for is a mage, soul arrows and fire orb so far and fire longsword+6 and shield with armor,no robes.

My question is basically.... what is generally recommended to level up in terms of attributes? My VGR is now 13, END 12, VIT 7, ATN 19, STR 15, DEX 9, ADP 8, INT 20 and FTH 12.

Any advice would be great.

Neoweee

Been playing this game today again and really enjoying it. Have now defeated The Pursuer, The last Giant, Heide tower boss, No man's wharf boss, Sinner boss. The character I am going for is a mage, soul arrows and fire orb so far and fire longsword+6 and shield with armor,no robes.

My question is basically.... what is generally recommended to level up in terms of attributes? My VGR is now 13, END 12, VIT 7, ATN 19, STR 15, DEX 9, ADP 8, INT 20 and FTH 12.

Any advice would be great.

There's more build freedom here than in the other games. It sounds like you're attempting more of a Spell-sword type build, so some points in ADP will probably be very useful. ADP and Attunement boost your i-frames, with ADP something like 3x ATN. So you will get a good roll with enough ATN, but in the short run ADP might be more efficient.

You can always respec later if you feel some things are imperfect.

There's more build freedom here than in the other games. It sounds like you're attempting more of a Spell-sword type build, so some points in ADP will probably be very useful. ADP and Attunement boost your i-frames, with ADP something like 3x ATN. So you will get a good roll with enough ATN, but in the short run ADP might be more efficient.

You can always respec later if you feel some things are imperfect.

Thanks man. Great help. And the fire longsword, that's a good sword to keep using for a while or should I use a different one?

About a week ago, I was about to take on my second great soul boss, the
Old Iron King
. Furthest I've ever gotten in Dark Souls II. Now I'm at
Aldia's Keep
, and I decided to backtrack a bit and try out the DLC areas. I'm taking on Crown of the Ivory King right now (
Brume Tower
was kicking my ass), but apparently I missed
an entire optional zone
in Crown of the Sunken King?

I'm hoping I'm pretty close to the end. I won't have too much time to play this week, and I want to wrap this up before I start Dark Souls III.

Neoweee

Thanks man. Great help. And the fire longsword, that's a good sword to keep using for a while or should I use a different one?

Fire Longsword is quite good. Good base stats, and it scales with Fire Damage, which is max(Int, Faith), i.e. is very good for either a heavy Sorcery OR a heavy Faith build. Just make sure you're upgrading it.

I actually used that thing my entire first playthrough of the game, way back and launch.

Old Iron King
Aldia's Keep
, and I decided to backtrack a bit and try out the DLC areas. I'm taking on Crown of the Ivory King right now (
Brume Tower
an entire optional zone

I'm hoping I'm pretty close to the end. I won't have too much time to play this week, and I want to wrap this up before I start Dark Souls III.

Each DLC is 2 "required" bosses that are completely new fights, and 1 "challenge" fight that is optional that reuses assets from other parts of the game or boss fights. There's only slight rewards (gear, spells, etc.) behind the Challenge fights and not any new zones.

Mistel

Banned
Not particularly good you're doing split damage with a weapon that doesn't scale that well with you current stats other than it being both INT/FTH scaling its not great. You can use some of the lighting equipment which you get from Heide knight which is generally stronger there's better stuff but I don't know how much you want to know.
Old Iron King
Aldia's Keep
Brume Tower
an entire optional zone

You've barely started long way to go in the main game yet. That optional area isn't too hard to find but you might struggle with it as they're essentially challenge areas.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Guess everybody is playing Dark Souls 3 now right? Well not I, for after one week on the other side of the country, Im back today to continue my quest in Dark Souls 2!

And it starts great by getting invaded and banishing the invader. I now have two in a row! Also got that Enchanted Falchion which i instantly equipped for some Demons Souls-nostalgia. Now on to the Sinner!

Edit: So I checked up a guide for the item in the Lost Bastille boss-room, and apparently there is a secret door. However, I just can not open anything. Am i doing something wrong? Also checked a youtube secrets-video, and it seems the guy was just standing there for the secret door to open, but it doesnt work for me for some reason :(

Edit 2: Guess I havent realized untill now that secret door opens in a new way in DS2. What a stupid decision, guess that means I have overlooked a ton of treasure so far.

Morfeo

There's at most 4 you could have missed at the point you are at now.

Yeah, I checked it up in a guide and went back for it, not much interesting really. Also confirmed that I killed the merchant in the No-Mans Wharf. Going onwards to the Sinner now!

Morfeo

You killed Gavlan?

Yeah, I didnt realize before I asked in the thread where to find items against poison, and DarkHeartedKill told me about Gavlan. I then googled him, found out I already owned his axe, and realized I probably killed him without realizing he was an npc. Went back and confirmed it now.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I didnt realize before I asked in the thread where to find items against poison, and DarkHeartedKill told me about Gavlan. I then googled him, found out I already owned his axe, and realized I probably killed him without realizing he was an npc. Went back and confirmed it now.
Well his grave stone will be there so you can revive him but his stock will remain limited. Anyhow you've got one of the better great axes in the game fast with good damage and STR whilst scaling lacking the issues the other great axes have with their sweet spots.

Morfeo

Well his grave stone will be there so you can revive him but his stock will remain limited. Anyhow you've got one of the better great axes in the game fast with good damage and STR whilst scaling lacking the issues the other great axes have with their sweet spots.

Yeah, I went there to stock up on poison-items. Thanks for the tip on the axe, Might check it out if I level STR more.

Anyways, that Sinner dude doesnt seem so hard (tried three times), but man do I hate those monsters in the water. Oh, and it suck when I loose the lock-on and he suddenly come cruising.

Morfeo

^^^Lost Sinner is female

Well no matter the sex, she is dead now. Got her on about the seventh try I guess. Wasnt really hard, but continued to get impatient and screw up. Anyways, whats up with those rooms up the stairs just outside the boss arena? Messages on the floor told me to use a torch, I guess to set fire to the stuff there, but dont feel like going back through that nasty sewer if there is no decent pay off.

Tarkus

Well no matter the sex, she is dead now. Got her on about the seventh try I guess. Wasnt really hard, but continued to get impatient and screw up. Anyways, whats up with those rooms up the stairs just outside the boss arena? Messages on the floor told me to use a torch, I guess to set fire to the stuff there, but dont feel like going back through that nasty sewer if there is no decent pay off.
Don't worry about it now

Top Bottom