• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

RiggyRob

Episode 33, myself vs. Elana, the Squalid Queen: https://youtu.be/FrRt6eP0gx4

For a boss that summons adds, this wasn't too bad. Elana's moves are varied enough to keep the fight interesting, Velstadt keeps you on your toes, and I never felt that the fight was going to be unfair or cheap even if I had faced her solo.

Still kinda scratching my head at 'You were not deserving of the mire' means though.

wow I just faced the Sentinels. That is some bullshit. You can't dodge at all.

You can take the hits from two, but if you're facing all three at once it's a looooooong fight.

I beat the game blindly, then I do NG+ blindly, then I make a new character, then if I'm missing achievements I look em up. Sometimes I'll find out about hidden achievements when I'm lurking my friends Steam achievements to see how far they are so I don't spoil things for em(wish hidden achievements wouldn't show up on a friends page if you haven't unlocked em though...).

For DaS 2 I looked up a couple, like Smith for life or whatever because its requirements require me to do stuff I don't ever do.

Chitown B

How many bosses have you beaten so far? They are quite hard if faced earlier than they have to be.

like 5 or 6. I'm on the right path, I'm just a dodge/roll guy. Their lances have way too large a hit box. You basically have to tank them which is not my play style.

I just finished it. Looking at the credits now. Spoilers incoming.

So i decided to let the Ancient Dragon alone. I really saw no reason to attack him. He was minding his business and so was i. I'm sure there would have been some cool things for me if i did decide to attack and eventually slay him, but nah. Finishing main story is good enough for me. I was slightly rushing through this anyway, because i really want to begin with 3.

After i finished off Nashandra i decided to look up a guide and it said there is another final boss. The scholar of the first sin. But I don't think i am going to do that. Is it worth it?

Now it's either on to the DLC of which I've played parts from all three by now, but maybe I'm going straight for Dark Souls 3 now.

Mistel

Banned

So i decided to let the Ancient Dragon alone. I really saw no reason to attack him. He was minding his business and so was i. I'm sure there would have been some cool things for me if i did decide to attack and eventually slay him, but nah. Finishing main story is good enough for me. I was slightly rushing through this anyway, because i really want to begin with 3.

After i finished off Nashandra i decided to look up a guide and it said there is another final boss. The scholar of the first sin. But I don't think i am going to do that. Is it worth it?

Now it's either on to the DLC of which I've played parts from all three by now, but maybe I'm going straight for Dark Souls 3 now.
It's worth it for the lore but other than that no, do the mandatory areas of the last 2 DLC they're the better areas.

It's worth it for the lore but other than that no, do the mandatory areas of the last 2 DLC they're the better areas.

Ok i think I'll do that.

As for the story..I can't deny that i didn't really catched much of the story. I know the story is told by NPCs and such but I did look up the plot on Wikipedia just now. One question.....

is it ever explained why the land became so corrupt? I mean we fight against undead in several of these areas, these used to be people, civilians. Is it ever explained how they all turned into those undead/hollows?

RiggyRob

Ok i think I'll do that.

As for the story..I can't deny that i didn't really catched much of the story. I know the story is told by NPCs and such but I did look up the plot on Wikipedia just now. One question.....

is it ever explained why the land became so corrupt? I mean we fight against undead in several of these areas, these used to be people, civilians. Is it ever explained how they all turned into those undead/hollows?

It's the
cuuuuuurse, the cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurse of the undeeeeeeeeaaaaaaad!

From my perspective the curse is basically a plague, similar to Bloodborne's. Vendrick tried to stave off the curse but ultimately didn't manage to do it even though he was on the right track

Mike M

Nick N
Dark Souls 2 kind of muddled the nature of the curse and bonfires. In Dark Souls 1, the bonfires were to forestall the onset of the Age of Dark, and did so by burning fragments of the Dark Soul, which was Humanity. The destruction of Humanity caused the curse, and in linking the bonfires the Chosen Undead provided enough fuel that it was no longer necessary to feed the bonfires Humanity, and the curse receded.

In Dark Souls 2, the curse appears as the bonfires dwindle, but Humanity's no longer a thing, so the relation is not at all clear.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I thought just a few days ago we were at about the same place, but guess I must have slacked since Im still in Drangelic Castle. Anyways, congrats to you!

In vanilla DS2 (PS3), where are these supposed sconces that I'm supposed to light to reanimate the dragon skeleton? I've walked by plenty of unlit torches on the wall so it isn't those, right? I've read descriptions as to where they're supposed to be and see nothing. What gives?

I beat the dragon guardian already. Does that affect anyhting?

Mistel

Banned
In vanilla DS2 (PS3), where are these supposed sconces that I'm supposed to light to reanimate the dragon skeleton? I've walked by plenty of unlit torches on the wall so it isn't those, right? I've read descriptions as to where they're supposed to be and see nothing. What gives?

I beat the dragon guardian already. Does that affect anyhting?
There isn't any it activates by itself that's for SOFTS should have happend the first time you walked in.

Carm

Bought DS2 (PC) at release, got up to Drangleic and stopped, distracted by RL. Picked up PS4 version of Scholar in January, wasn't sure when I'd get to it. Got DS3 on release and finished it. I had intended to start Bloodborne, after I stopped after the second boss a year ago, but I needed more Dark Souls, so started DS2 immediately and just finished the main game Friday. It over stayed its welcome but I started up Crown of the Sunken King hoping that would be better. That dlc and in particular the last boss has nearly broke me and I'm struggling to find motivation to finish the last two dlcs. I did kill that boss but it was incredibly irritating. The below happened, yes, my own fault but still demoralizing, got him on the next attempt though. Apparently Fume Knight is really hard to? Bleh

http://youtu.be/2DkoPuu05-g

Ancient Dragon is the easiest fight in the game so far, really dumb how you can easily manipulate its attack pattern, I did get hit once at the beginning for being dumb though.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Alright, so I just finished the first game and I almost immediately jumped into this because I've got an addiction. I knew I wanted to do some type of caster build because I went for a str/dex char in DS1 with the Claymore (luv u bae) and I need to mix it up. After a bit of preliminary research I read about hexes and that sounds sick as hell. Any tips for going down that type of path? I started as a cleric and I just beat the Last Giant in case it matters.

Also, wow, the Pursuer seems tough. Should I be going for him right after the Last Giant?

Carm

Alright, so I just finished the first game and I almost immediately jumped into this because I've got an addiction. I knew I wanted to do some type of caster build because I went for a str/dex char in DS1 with the Claymore (luv u bae) and I need to mix it up. After a bit of preliminary research I read about hexes and that sounds sick as hell. Any tips for going down that type of path? I started as a cleric and I just beat the Last Giant in case it matters.

Also, wow, the Pursuer seems tough. Should I be going for him right after the Last Giant?

Are you fighting him behind the fog door or by cardinal tower bonfire? If behind fog door and if you can parry he is really easy. Stand in front of one of the ballista's parry him, run to other side of ballista's and use it to kill him. Took two shots for me, he wasn't centered enough on first hit. I'm not great at parrying so only used it on this boss, in any of the DS games, which BTW has screwed me up in Bloodborne.

https://youtu.be/VEudsj3tQyg

It's always been there the key is nearby although its obtained from another place than in the guide for SOTFS you used.
I don't mind knowing if you don't mind sharing =P.

I used to come here for questions first but seeing as how I'm taking my sweet old time and now 3 is out, I didn't expect a speedy reply. So I used google to help open that door and I guess it wasn't as helpful as here so thanks again.

Mistel

Banned

Start investing in INT/FTH/ATT early and get the sorcerers staff in forest of giants so you can cast both chime and staff hexes. There's more you can do but that's just early game build up there's a lot of different things you can use. You can do the Pursuer right after just circle strafe but if you're struggling try Heide.
I don't mind knowing if you don't mind sharing =P.

I used to come here for questions first but seeing as how I'm taking my sweet old time and now 3 is out, I didn't expect a speedy reply. So I used google to help open that door and I guess it wasn't as helpful as here so thanks again.
It's in the acid pit which you drop down into guarded by hunting dogs.

Start investing in INT/FTH/ATT early and get the sorcerers staff in forest of giants so you can cast both chime and staff hexes. There's more you can do but that's just early game build up there's a lot of different things you can use. You can do the Pursuer right after just circle strafe but if you're struggling try Heide.

It's in the acid pit which you drop down into guarded by hunting dogs.
I thought I grabbed everything there. Is it hidden under that skull thing?

It's just on a corpse in there.
Are we talking about a key that opens that chained door? Because I seem to remember getting a key to open other doors in the area. But there's a chained door down the hall to the left (just before the caged lizard beast and broken wall to the hole above the acid pits).

Edit... I just rephrased my question on Google and got my answer. *slaps forehead*

Mistel

Banned
Are we talking about a key that opens that chained door? Because I seem to remember getting a key to open other doors in the area. But there's a chained door down the hall to the left (just before the caged lizard beast and broken wall to the hole above the acid pits).

Edit... I just rephrased my question on Google and got my answer. *slaps forehead*
Those are different doors as you've just found out but the weapon behind it isn't too good.

Those are different doors as you've just found out but the weapon behind it isn't too good.
See, I originally read "to unlock the door, light the 4 sconces to renaimate the dragon skeleton to get the key yadda yadda yadda". I didn't realize A) this was for the newer version and B) they were talking about the exit stage door (or whatever, of which I've already opened). Turns out, I just need a cyclops to smash it open.

I thought just a few days ago we were at about the same place, but guess I must have slacked since Im still in Drangelic Castle. Anyways, congrats to you!

Hmmm, well it's probably because i took a somewhat unusual approach to certain areas. I went through Shaded Woods quite late in the game for example. But maybe it's because I've been playing it a lot. No other game has been booted on my Xbox One for a while, haha.

Anyway I've been watching some videos from ENB and man.... It made me realize how much i still need to practice rolling in these games. I saw him rolling through crazy attacks and knew exactly when to roll and which way etc. It's become painfully clear that i am flat out shit at rolling properly in this game. Most of these fights i blocked with my shield and also some Pyromancy. But for example that fight against the
king's pet
in the Ivory King DLC.... proved to be quite problematic for me because I failed miserably at the rolling. :(

Da fuck man, watching a DS video of ENB on YouTube and i am seeing things i never saw and knew before. For all you Souls hardcores here it's nothing new I'm sure. He shot an arrow at one of the Capra Demons in Demon Ruins and did some damage. Not terribly much though.

But then he one shotted a Capra Demon after Capra had done his jumping attack. I assume that he used up so much stamina for that, that there just was no way to block a little of it.

I of course knew this was how it works for the player in these games, that stamina is very important. Never knew this applied to the baddies as well. I'm learning stuff here. Nice.

Chitown B

I had no idea there was a breakable wall/door behind the Pursuer spawn in Lost Bastille. WTF. Apparently that was the way I was supposed to go as an earned shortcut from going through No Man's Wharf. lol. Sigh.

Chitown B

If you stay on the top platform you can fight one of them alone. Once you kill it you can jump down and take on the other two.

still, those poles just sweep the whole area. You either need a shield or have crazy i-frames. They're too big.

I noticed the other two don't spawn if you fall straight down and go under the platform. I had two phantoms killing the first one while I stood down there, lol

Mistel

Banned
I had no idea there was a breakable wall/door behind the Pursuer spawn in Lost Bastille. WTF. Apparently that was the way I was supposed to go as an earned shortcut from going through No Man's Wharf. lol. Sigh.
It's a bit confusing as you can technically do all of Lost Bastille straight from FOTFG the other way is only really for the pyro glove on the ship.

So i am watching more of ENB's Dark Souls videos and i keep seeing things that really makes me wonder how people even manage to discover it. For example Snuggly the crow, leaving an item in its nest is not too hard to guess, but how do people discover that they first need to quit the current game and reload to get a new item?

Or the onion guys,, forgot their names but they are father and daughter. How did people find out that they had to travel to Ash Lake i believe it's called to see what the outcome of their situation is. How do people know that? I never did those things in my DS playthrough.

Tarkus

So i am watching more of ENB's Dark Souls videos and i keep seeing things that really makes me wonder how people even manage to discover it. For example Snuggly the crow, leaving an item in its nest is not too hard to guess, but how do people discover that they first need to quit the current game and reload to get a new item?

Or the onion guys,, forgot their names but they are father and daughter. How did people find out that they had to travel to Ash Lake i believe it's called to see what the outcome of their situation is. How do people know that? I never did those things in my DS playthrough.
Well, he was an author on the official strategy guide for DS2 and BB. He probably had way more insight than the average player.

Well, he was an author on the official strategy guide for DS2 and BB. He probably had way more insight than the average player.

Ok that's quite cool then. So all the messages i saw during my playthrough of 2 about illusion walls and secrets, very likely the creator of that message learned it from ENB?

When i start playing DS3 i rather discover everything on my own but i already know i will miss things. Might check out some ENB videos when i have finished a particular area.

Tarkus

Ok that's quite cool then. So all the messages i saw during my playthrough of 2 about illusion walls and secrets, very likely the creator of that message learned it from ENB?

When i start playing DS3 i rather discover everything on my own but i already know i will miss things. Might check out some ENB videos when i have finished a particular area.
ENB went blind on his current DS3 playthrough and missed a mountain of shit. Wait for the complete videos.

Arkanius

Soul Level 80, got summoned as a Blue Phantom for the first time.

I managed to get instantly parried, and killed by a dagger while on the ground.

Welp, I was useless in that fight. Godspeed fellow Way of the Blue...

Chitown B

That's just for going to the Bastille that applies to and that area not the Wharf.

Dammit I got up to the bridge and I can't get to the bonfire because of a petrified guy. All this way for nothing. I need a checkpoint.

Edit: nevermind, I got to Sinner's Rise bonfire. Phew!

Mike M

Nick N
Burnt Ivory Kiiiiiiiiiiing!

200w.gif

You're an epic fight where I get a whole gang of guys to follow me into hell to take you on. I get it.

But just fucking die, dude.

My Soul Memory is through the roof, so no player phantoms around : (

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Burnt Ivory Kiiiiiiiiiiing!

200w.gif

You're an epic fight where I get a whole gang of guys to follow me into hell to take you on. I get it.

But just fucking die, dude.

My Soul Memory is through the roof, so no player phantoms around : (

I don't like the first phase of this fight, but he himself is awesome.

Mistel

Banned
Soul Level 80, got summoned as a Blue Phantom for the first time.

I managed to get instantly parried, and killed by a dagger while on the ground.

Welp, I was useless in that fight. Godspeed fellow Way of the Blue...
Earlier into the lifespan people just used to do that with just daggers which are deceptively effective weapons.

Chitown B

pulled a summon sign at the Lost Bastille blacksmith's Pursuer and he didn't come fast enough so I had to despawn Pursuer. Ended up dragging him to 3 Sentinels and pulled both phantoms. Was a good fight and we finally got them. Phew.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I had no idea about this either, need to check it out i think. Or is this only in Scholars?

Arkanius

There are three Pursuer spawns in Lost Bastille.
Where ?

Top Bottom