• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I never like it when in games like these you get thrown into a room with nowhere to go really (yeah a lever opening a big ass door, but you won't make that in time) with plenty of baddies and also a damn strong one and.....good luck. With Souls games i always try my best to take these baddies one by one. Not going to happen here.

It's after the second bonfire in Brume Tower. I'll come back after i've finished a few other locations and then we'll see about this part. It's the first DLC and it's fun, but not amazing. I heard nothing but praise about the DLC.

I hate this, but i get why they want to create some tension once in a while. Sucks when you have a tons of souls though, guess there is always homewards right?

Arkanius

I ended up buying Sins (24€ for the upgrade price).

I'm now at No Man's Wharf with Deprived. Also finished Forest of the Fallen Giants and got teleported to Bastille Tower.

I'm planning on doing a Sword + Sorcery/Miracle build.

Has anyone done it before? Which stats should I focus on? (Str+Dex+Int or Int+Faith)
Which stats should I leave at minimum (and at what level)

Mistel

Banned
It's after the second bonfire in Brume Tower. I'll come back after i've finished a few other locations and then we'll see about this part. It's the first DLC and it's fun, but not amazing. I heard nothing but praise about the DLC.
Iron passage? That's optional.
I'm planning on doing a Sword + Sorcery/Miracle build.

Has anyone done it before? Which stats should I focus on? (Str+Dex+Int or Int+Faith)
Which stats should I leave at minimum (and at what level)
STR/DEX/ATT/INT/FTH you shoud focus on but starting deprived means you've got to invest a bit more but it's by all means doable.

Mike M

Nick N
I thiiiink the worst of the Sunken King is behind me. Made all the ghosts corporeal, made it past the Lair of the Imperfect, opened a bunch of shortcuts. Now it's my pick of poisons for which fog gate to go through...

I thiiiink the worst of the Sunken King is behind me. Made all the ghosts corporeal, made it past the Lair of the Imperfect, opened a bunch of shortcuts. Now it's my pick of poisons for which fog gate to go through...

Go get the crown and finish the DLC. the Iron Crown DLC is so much better, it makes the Sunken Crown feel like some C tier stuff

Iron passage? That's optional.

STR/DEX/ATT/INT/FTH you shoud focus on but starting deprived means you've got to invest a bit more but it's by all means doable.

Hmmm...i Youtubed it. Nope it's this bonfire at 15:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6GKcb5f7Mk

And the part with all the baddies is 17:04

The guy actually uses a nice way to handle that part though. So i might try that too. Not a huge fan over cheesing parts, but like he said this DLC is kinda asking for it.

By the way, one question about poise. I have the stone ring equipped so that's good. But are there weapons that stagger enemies even more? I know the claws can stagger enemies, but which stat is that?

Mistel

Banned
Hmmm...i Youtubed it. Nope it's this bonfire at 15:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6GKcb5f7Mk

And the part with all the baddies is 17:04

The guy actually uses a nice way to handle that part though. So i might try that too. Not a huge fan over cheesing parts, but like he said this DLC is kinda asking for it.

By the way, one question about poise. I have the stone ring equipped so that's good. But are there weapons that stagger enemies even more? I know the claws can stagger enemies, but which stat is that?
Large STR weapons like ultras and great hammers and axes deal more poise damage so those. That's probably the only really difficult mandatory bit in the DLC non boss wise but it is end game areas really so you will struggle a bit.

Large STR weapons like ultras and great hammers and axes deal more poise damage so those. That's probably the only really difficult mandatory bit in the DLC non boss wise but it is end game areas really so you will struggle a bit.

Ok that's good, since i love the greatswords. For some of them i noticed that my DEX is too low, so I'm going to have to improve that. Speaking of DEX, this will increase the attack power of arrows as well then, right?

Mistel

Banned
Ok that's good, since i love the greatswords. For some of them i noticed that my DEX is too low, so I'm going to have to improve that. Speaking of DEX, this will increase the attack power of arrows as well then, right?
Err no just changing the arrow types will influence the arrows themselves, for a bow however DEX will influence the scaling but some of the better bows are either quality or STR orientated.

Err no just changing the arrow types will influence the arrows themselves, for a bow however DEX will influence the scaling but some of the better bows are either quality or STR orientated.

Oh that's quite handy in that case. But so far I've only found pretty standard bows.

I think i need some help respeccing, because i have a feeling it's not ideal how i have it set up for the character i am going for. When i was respeccing last week i did not really think about using the bow, so DEX is low but i soon found out that i really like the bow.

So I'll be using great swords, maybe dual, maybe two handed. I'll mix it up with some sword and shield and some Pyromancy and archery.

I have 218 Attribute Points to spend. I just received 2x soul vessel, so let's go! Where should i put these in?

Mike M

Nick N
I never 2H in DS1, so I'm not sure about this question:

In DS2, if I mainly 2H, should I ditch the shield? Does it help at all?
I 2H with the Rose Shield for the stamina regen boost, and it could be handy to have at the ready for occasions where you feel you need to block (I.e. a shield with high magic defense for approaching a caster), but I guess beyond that they'd be dead weight.

Mistel

Banned
I never 2H in DS1, so I'm not sure about this question:

In DS2, if I mainly 2H, should I ditch the shield? Does it help at all?
If you're two handing and it doesn't have a passive effect you should really ditch the shield it's only weighing you down.
I think i need some help respeccing, because i have a feeling it's not ideal how i have it set up for the character i am going for. When i was respeccing last week i did not really think about using the bow, so DEX is low but i soon found out that i really like the bow.

So I'll be using great swords, maybe dual, maybe two handed. I'll mix it up with some sword and shield and some Pyromancy and archery.

I have 218 Attribute Points to spend. I just received 2x soul vessel, so let's go! Where should i put these in?
Something like this:

VIG: 40
VIT: 40
END: 35-40
STR: 50
DEX: At powerstance requirements
ATT: 30 for the 1st slot soft cap or higher if you want more slots
ADP: What ever you need to get to 100 agility minimum with ATT

It's generic and the numbers probably don't add up to 218 but you can work around that as I don't know specifically what you want to use or if you want recommendations for equipment. Plus there's fire attack bonus and some variety you can use with pyro gloves.

Chitown B

I 2H with the Rose Shield for the stamina regen boost, and it could be handy to have at the ready for occasions where you feel you need to block (I.e. a shield with high magic defense for approaching a caster), but I guess beyond that they'd be dead weight.

If you're two handing and it doesn't have a passive effect you should really ditch the shield it's only weighing you down.

Thanks! I thought so. I only had used the Grass shield in DS1 for the stamina.

Something like this:

VIG: 40
VIT: 40
END: 35-40
STR: 50
DEX: At powerstance requirements
ATT: 30 for the 1st slot soft cap or higher if you want more slots
ADP: What ever you need to get to 100 agility minimum with ATT

It's generic and the numbers probably don't add up to 218 but you can work around that as I don't know specifically what you want to use or if you want recommendations for equipment. Plus there's fire attack bonus and some variety you can use with pyro gloves.

Thanks man. Much appreciated. Powerstance requirements are the default requirements right?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the first DLC today, just the last two and the final area to go. Taking a break tomorrow though as ep3 of TWD: Michonne is out and I've been waiting to start it.

Mike M

Nick N
Oh Christ, those guys cosplaying as other NPCs fucking wrecked me. I don't have effigies to burn on restoring my humanity on every attempt to have those summons available...

MilkBeard

I decided to start playing the PS4 version, and in this version I'm still in the early game. So far as a human I've seen zero summon signs or duel signs. Do the not show up until later? I've already got the white soapstone so it's not like you can't get it early.

Mistel

Banned
Accidentally shot Carhillion with arrows (thought he was an enemy) and now I can't go in No Man's Wharf. FUCKED UP. Stupid walkthrough said to shoot a guy far away so I did.

so now I either kill him or I can't continue, right?

this guy did the same thing:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68910690
You can continue with it but he will be hostile so just avoid him. If you kill him then his grave stone will be around so its no big loss. Why are you using a walkthrough?
I decided to start playing the PS4 version, and in this version I'm still in the early game. So far as a human I've seen zero summon signs or duel signs. Do the not show up until later? I've already got the white soapstone so it's not like you can't get it early.
They do show up it depends both on the location and your soul memory and they do get common around mid game and PvP areas.

Mike M

Nick N
Accidentally shot Carhillion with arrows (thought he was an enemy) and now I can't go in No Man's Wharf. FUCKED UP. Stupid walkthrough said to shoot a guy far away so I did.

so now I either kill him or I can't continue, right?

this guy did the same thing:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68910690

Nah, you can still get by.

No Man's Wharf just takes you to the Lost Bastille, and there's a back way into that area. Alternately you can find the confessor dude and repent your sin and reset the guy's aggro.

Hmmmm... So far i am managing quite alright in Brume Tower with my Zweihander. Have found the fire scepter so that these elevators work. I am now in Iron Passage and i know it's optional but is there a good strategy for the blue smelter demon? He hits hard and he slaughters my two summons like it's nothing. Does he have a weakness or should i return here later?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Hahah.

Sorry if this makes me an ass, but... I just love when people screw themselves over by following a walkthrough. That'll teach you to rely on guides. :p

Well, just avoid or kill the guy. You can get pardoned later if you really want him, or pay some souls at his grave every time you need his service. Game is pretty forgiving in that regard really.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the DLC yesterday. I have to say, I really didn't enjoy it. All three zones are littered with high health, high poise, high damage enemies that are no fun to fight. The first few areas in Sunken King drove me nuts with how many times I died. Combine that with invincible enemies, sorceresses, and environmental hazards, and it just becomes more hassle than fun.

I much preferred the base game in DS2, where even seemingly annoying areas like Earthen Peak or Tseldora were doable by being careful. Sure they have a lot of enemies, but they're not particularly powerful on their own and can be disposed of if you don't let yourself get surrounded.

I'm probably going to pick up DS3 tonight, and I'm hoping that it's more like base DS2 than the DLC. I was considering doing a NG+ run on DS2 but figured it would probably be more fun to get in on DS3 while the community is still fresh and the population is high.

Man it feels good to breeze through the baddies at the entrance and interior of Drangleic Castle with my Zweihander. Really nice weapon indeed.

I have several pieces of Twinkling Titanite by the way, is it wise to upgrade my armor pieces with this?

Novocaine

Man it feels good to breeze through the baddies at the entrance and interior of Drangleic Castle with my Zweihander. Really nice weapon indeed.

I have several pieces of Twinkling Titanite by the way, is it wise to upgrade my armor pieces with this?

If you're exploring fully you'll get a ton of Twinkling each play through; IIRC about enough to upgrade 2 weapons and an armour set. So if there's a set of armour you dig go nuts.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting the urge to go back to DS3 but I want to finish this first, I have DLC 2 & 3 and the last area (
castle
) left.

Novocaine

There are three things and i wonder what they mean. What does that stick thing with a timer mean?

http://imgur.com/lEayFYL

On the fast travel screen i now see additional places to travel but they look as if they were burned, I can't go there. What is this?

http://imgur.com/bjgM6MJ

And lastly....next to the green arrows you see a white icon with something red on it. What is that?

http://imgur.com/IAHARGW

The first is the amount of time you have to burn a torch.

The places that are blacked out are areas you haven't visited yet. The fast travel screen reveals them all once you reach a certain point in the game.

The third I am not sure, try taking your rings off one at a time and see if it disappears. It's probably one of those.

Mike M

Nick N
And lastly....next to the green arrows you see a white icon with something red on it. What is that?

http://imgur.com/IAHARGW

The first is the amount of time you have to burn a torch.

The places that are blacked out are areas you haven't visited yet. The fast travel screen reveals them all once you reach a certain point in the game.

The third I am not sure, try taking your rings off one at a time and see if it disappears. It's probably one of those.
That's the "no cracked eye orb" icon you get from burning a human effigy or beating the boss of a given area.

Novocaine

How do you beat the enemies in shaded wood with a caster? The lack of lock on makes them almost impossible to hit

Honestly you can just dash past them, and every other enemy in the area.

That's the "no cracked eye orb" icon you get from burning a human effigy or beating the boss of a given area.

Ah right. You think that with over 500 hours in the game I would know everything about it by now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! Finally got Sir Alonne. Man, what a badass. The worst part of the fight was taking the time to grind through the enemies on the way to him to cause them to despawn, though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
These fucking
giant fire bastard's
in the second DLC can fuck right off 3 shotting me from a mile away.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Last Area? Which
castle
?

Drangleic

I'm now on
Smelter Demon v 2.0
in the DLC, even the run back is a ballache, they've added mobs in Scholars.

It's amazing how they've made his trash the absolute worst
both times, I don't know if it was a conscious decision but both times his trash has made me want to stop playing

Even the camera is getting me killed on this fight.

And don't get me started on the "shortcut", where if you're 0000000.1ms too slow you're locked in and the mobs almost always hit or block you.

Chitown B

Hahah.

Sorry if this makes me an ass, but... I just love when people screw themselves over by following a walkthrough. That'll teach you to rely on guides. :p

Well, just avoid or kill the guy. You can get pardoned later if you really want him, or pay some souls at his grave every time you need his service. Game is pretty forgiving in that regard really.

I can't get pardoned after he's dead though. I just missed out on the achieve if I kill him. Ugh.

I am only following certain parts so I can get as many achieves as possible - that includes certain NPCs and certain spells, but that's about it.

Top Bottom