• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

but then there are times you get screwed not using a guide, like when i didn't know that giant souls shouldn't be used if youre going to go at Vendrick. I figured, boss souls warned you that they could have other uses than just being turned into souls but the damn game gave no warnings that having the giant souls would be of any secondary use.

meh.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You were following a walkthrough for the achievements, too? That makes me even less sympathetic, lol. xD

No need to be a dick to the guy, if he doesn't want to miss anything why wouldn't he use a guide? Some people just like to do one full run and that's it, not everyone wants to do multiple runs, I know I don't.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No need to be a dick to the guy, if he doesn't want to miss anything why wouldn't he use a guide? Some people just like to do one full run and that's it, not everyone wants to do multiple runs, I know I don't.
Everyone should use whatever they want. I'm also free to laugh at people who care so much about meaningless achievements that they'll use guides and then screw themselves over, because I find that legit funny. Sorry if that makes me a dick.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking down! What an awful place, thank God it's over.

Neoweee

Drangleic

I'm now on
Smelter Demon v 2.0
in the DLC, even the run back is a ballache, they've added mobs in Scholars.

It's amazing how they've made his trash the absolute worst
both times, I don't know if it was a conscious decision but both times his trash has made me want to stop playing

Even the camera is getting me killed on this fight.

And don't get me started on the "shortcut", where if you're 0000000.1ms too slow you're locked in and the mobs almost always hit or block you.

You're not that close to the end. You're running up against essentially post-game optional bosses in the DLC. They're going to be horrifically difficult because of that.

Did Scholars really add extra mobs in the DLC? I thought the DLC was untouched other than a few item placement changes?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You're not that close to the end. You're running up against essentially post-game optional bosses in the DLC. They're going to be horrifically difficult because of that.

Did Scholars really add extra mobs in the DLC? I thought the DLC was untouched other than a few item placement changes?

Yeah it did, some real bullshit mobs where you don't want them to be. On
Fume Knight now
and ofc it's another long, annoying run back because why wouldn't it be? I'm really losing the will to finish this.

Neoweee

Fume Knight now
and ofc it's another long, annoying run back because why wouldn't it be? I'm really losing the will to finish this.

I really don't recommend pushing through the DLC until you're at the genuine end-game or even post-game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Fume Knight now

I really didn't like the DLC; I thought it was difficult for the sake of being difficult. Too many mobs in cramped areas, really annoying runs between bonfires, and I didn't find the levels particularly appealing.

RiggyRob

Episode 32, myself vs. Graverobber Trio: https://youtu.be/N8JpQyemfsY

As with Lud and Zallen in Frigid Outskirts, I could not imagine doing the Unknown Graverobber, Vargh and Cerah the Explorer on my own. It's a fucking stupid fight of drag one out to get a few hits in and then back off constantly, and it just isn't fun. Shadows of Yarnham is the correct way to do this, but it's impossible in Dark Souls II with the way it's designed/set-up.

I really didn't like the DLC; I thought it was difficult for the sake of being difficult. Too many mobs in cramped areas, really annoying runs between bonfires, and I didn't find the levels particularly appealing.

I thought the areas themselves were great, but the enemies put in them were terrible as you said.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

The vibe I'm getting, it's more tedious than challenging. I'm just going to work on finishing the base game for now otherwise I'll quit entirely.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Shadows of Yarnham is the correct way to do this, but it's impossible in Dark Souls II with the way it's designed/set-up.
It's definitely possible, as I've done it and I'm not exactly a top-tier player. Shadows of Yharnam is piss-easy, btw. These guys never killed me, no matter what build I used. I don't understand what is so hard about them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Now I'm falling through deep water that looks exactly the same as the shallow water, I think I need to just call it for today.

Mike M

Nick N
I haven't done a lot of the DLC, but from what I've seen so far the only part I found super trying was Dragon Sanctum with those fucking ghosts followed immediately by fighting a half-dozen slime dragon things that run 80mph, spit lightning, and jump over skyscrapers while you're wading through water.

At least you can find the statues to beat the ghosts...

Now I'm falling through deep water that looks exactly the same as the shallow water, I think I need to just call it for today.

You need a pretty steep camera angle to see the edge of deep water, though a torch helps.

Neoweee

Yeah I've gone back, this is just frying my brain today.

The game's huge and non-linear, but that comes with a lot of room for frustration if players feel intent on brute-forcing a single boss before others.

Blue Smelter, Trio, and the King's Pets are in their DLCs just to be extremely challenging and potentially good fights even when you're summoning for help. I have no complaints at all about how they are implemented, and I'd actually love to see similarly difficult fights implemented at some point in DS3, even if they are just palette swaps and asset reused.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Stopping at the
Undead Crypt bonfire
, hopefully tomorrow will go more smoothly.

And I didn't mind the BS fight, it was just the tedious trash before that made doing tries super slow.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Killed the spider Freya in Brightstone on my first try. But I had to use all ten estus flasks thanks to some careless playing in the start. Another weak boss imo, and now Im in the Drangelic Castle. Had to consult a guide for that since I had forgotten all about that Shrine of Winter. Looks like a cool place area!

Mike M

Nick N
Took down the Gank Squad, Squalid Queen, and Sinh in one go.

Squalid Queen was a fucking nail-biter. Me and my summons were doing okay for a while until they died. Then she summoned another Velstadt, which had me running around the room shooting arrows when the opportunity arose. It was taking forever, but I had it down... Until she summoned a squad of skeletons.

I said "fuck everything" and just ran in there hoping I could hack away what was left of her lifebar before I died. Ran out of stamina with one hit left to go and ate 90% of my HP in the process. Then she teleported, and I got my o e Hail Mary hit and ended the fight.

Sinh seemed notably easier.

Chitown B

Just went down a ladder from the bridge after the Exile Holding Cells in Lost Bastille. Got owned by a floating black knight out of nowhere. WTF is that thing?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Put in some good work today. Managed to take down Sir Alonne, Ancient Dragon, King Vendrick, and Darklurker. Only have the last boss for the main game and the Ivory King DLC, now.

Oh, and that Graverobber trio from the Sunken King DLC. I didn't even really consider them a boss fight, though. Maybe it was my build and level, but I just obliterated them.

Guys is it true that armor doesn't really make that much of a difference in Souls? That you should only really care about making sure you have good enough helmet/hood, gauntlets and leggings? Cause if so, i'm going to be wearing a different and cooler armor. I kind of doubt that's true though, because looking at these stats, that can't possibly be for nothing. But the person who told me this did seem to know his way around Souls.

Neoweee

Guys is it true that armor doesn't really make that much of a difference in Souls? That you should only really care about making sure you have good enough helmet/hood, gauntlets and leggings? Cause if so, i'm going to be wearing a different and cooler armor. I kind of doubt that's true though, because looking at these stats, that can't possibly be for nothing. But the person who told me this did seem to know his way around Souls.

It varies from game to game.

In BB, it is ultra-important and comes without penalty, so you should switch to the ideal set for every boss fight.

In DS3, the middle ground roll (30-70%) covers like 95% of builds and armor/poise don't do a whole lot.

It does more in DS2 than those two games, but it isn't something you want to just max out. It is a trade off. Be below 70%, but the lower weight you are, the farther you roll and the faster your stamina regenerates. But it is meaningful damage reduction.

Chitown B

Unlike the one in the Forest, the Pursuer in the Bastille has the dark effect active from the start. That and the room's pretty dark so maybe that's why.

ahh. it's not a room, it's in the yard outside the building. Thanks.

I tried to summon two signs and both failed, and then I couldn't get anyone to show up anymore. So I just went and did other things and leveled.

I didn't even realize he was there until he was on me:

http://xboxclips.com/Shadow+XBL/0d275816-5f26-4658-8f03-6f5365d6ca4f

Chitown B

Current stats. I'm focusing on agility and 2H fire longsword rolling. No shield. Drangelic set except using the Merchant's Hat.

I am pretty much at Lost Bastille and I also did a little of the Shaded Woods.

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

I'm making nice progress and i have a feeling i could be nearing the end soon. I just obtained the King's Ring. Just to make sure i didn't miss any hidden items i checked the wiki and it said i should go to the old fire keepers once i have that ring, so i'll receive six human effigies from them. But the ones talking to me are the young lady and the one where you respec. What gives?

By the way, can you actually just simply skip complete areas and just finish or try to finish it?

I was able to go through the big door in Drangleic Castle, straight to the throne watcher and defender boss fight. This to me really looks like a final boss area and these are the mini bosses. Thing is, i haven't even finished Shaded Woods and a few others.

Interesting if you can, but I'm not going to. I want to see and finish every area.

Mike M

Nick N
Once you get to Drangleic Castle, you don't need to actually do the remaining Great Souls. If you took on the Throne Watcher/Defender, you have what you need to get the last couple key items needed to prompt the end game.

Morfeo

I just came to Drangelic Castle yesterday as well, but didnt find anything interesting in the throne room :(

Fume Knight now

Is there not a bonfire ten feet away in the DX11 version?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's amazing how bosses could have 50 abilities and only one would kill you at any given time and that's the one they use with almost perfect accuracy.

Is there not a bonfire ten feet away in the DX11 version?

Not that I saw?

Morfeo

Wow, that Drangelic Castle actually made me concentrate a bit again, nice to finally have some challenging normal enemies again!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
There's one off to the right of the boss arena.

Well damn, thanks. I'm very nearly done with all bosses.

Edit: Found it, I skipped that bit because I was pissed off and had no time for those big bastards :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the Ivory King DLC today. I felt like it was the best one.

I played them in order of Sunken -> Iron -> Ivory, but I felt like they got better in that order, too.

Sunken had some cool parts, but I mostly disliked it. Iron was great except for the paths to the optional bosses, which were just pure bullshit and not fun at all. Really soured that DLC for me despite it having some really high highs. I feel like Ivory King was the best and most consistent. The whole thing really felt like a grand adventure and all of the encounters and boss fights were well done, challenging, and didn't feel unfair. Proper Dark Souls. Just reinforces to me that the snow areas in these games are typically the best.

Anyway, I'm finally done with New Game. Defeated all of the bosses, including the optional stuff. I was level 186 by the end and had a whole slew of +10 weapons I rotated between. Around 55 hours on the clock, too, which is definitely the longest it's taken for me to finish a Souls game NG.

I had a really excellent time and will definitely be doing an NG+ run, but I think I'll finally get to Dark Souls III on PC now. I already finished that once on PS4, but am excited to run through it again in 60 fps.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree about the DLC, Ivory was by far the best, no bullshit, tedious trash runs before bosses, no overly complicated busy work and the fights were fun, plus the setting was gorgeous.

I'm currently 43 hours in and I've killed everything but
Fume Knight
and the
optional covenant boss in DLC #1
. I put about an hour into him today but didn't do much better than 40%, he's by far the hardest boss and one of the hardest in the Soulsborne universe IMO. I also didn't have
enough of the items to disable his healing completely, luckily I had two so I have half the room to work with which is fine
. Phase 2 is brutal but I'm getting better at phase 1, plus it was late and I was tired when I was on him, hopefully I can down him tonight swiftly and put Dark Souls II to bed.

Mike M

Nick N
Currently doing Ivory King. Eleum Loyce is a ridiculously dense area, which is all the more impressive with the sweeping vistas showing you where you've been and where to go. Boss fight may be the best in Souls history, holy shit.

I only got to co op the boss once as a phantom, but the stupid charred knights didn't drop anything. And you need to get 50 of their Loyce Souls? WTFuckingF.

RiggyRob

Currently doing Ivory King. Eleum Loyce is a ridiculously dense area, which is all the more impressive with the sweeping vistas showing you where you've been and where to go. Boss fight may be the best in Souls history, holy shit.

I only got to co op the boss once as a phantom, but the stupid charred knights didn't drop anything. And you need to get 50 of their Loyce Souls? WTFuckingF.

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking with that. It's not as if 50 souls is a significant number, could've very easily been done with just 5 like the Giant Souls.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I paid £9.59 last week.

And done, all bosses down solo apart from the optional covenant boss because I ran out of HE and I really CBA farming more, I'm very much done with the game. I uploaded my
Fume Knight
kill if anyone cares, he was the only boss to get my heart pounding so I thought I'd upload it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBr3EosQDdw

Dark Souls I: Didn't finish as I didn't enjoy it
Dark Souls II: 7/10
Dark Souls III: 9/10
Bloodborne: 8/10

Top Bottom