• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Chitown B

There are three Pursuer spawns in Lost Bastille.
Where ?

The one by the Blacksmith's bonfire. Right behind where it spawns (just despawn it if you don't want to kill it) the wall can be hit. It's just boards, but it's hard to see.

I actually found at LEAST 4 spots where Pursuer spawns. One is the rooftop behind the hidden door hallway. Ugh. If I kill it in one spot does it get removed from the others?

Mike M

Nick N
The one by the Blacksmith's bonfire. Right behind where it spawns (just despawn it if you don't want to kill it) the wall can be hit. It's just boards, but it's hard to see.

I actually found at LEAST 4 spots where Pursuer spawns. One is the rooftop behind the hidden door hallway. Ugh. If I kill it in one spot does it get removed from the others?

Nope, he shows up each time.

He leaves if you run far enough away (which isn't far), at which point he won't show up again at that spot until you die or rest at a bonfire.

Chitown B

Nope, he shows up each time.

He leaves if you run far enough away (which isn't far), at which point he won't show up again at that spot until you die or rest at a bonfire.

Thanks. Yeah I know about despawning him, I just wasn't sure if I had to kill him 4 times to get rid of him there. guess I do. Do you get a Pursuer soul every time you kill him?

On reflection,
Nashandra
is like, the embodiment of an Iron Maiden cover and I loved everything about her design, damage effects, etc. Just kind of wish she didn't
stand there while I hack her to pieces.

Still, what follows was a really fucking wonderful cinematic.

Tried the Shulva three-way fight earlier and STILL got absolutely bodied, even with the two summons. :(

Mike M

Nick N
Tried the Shulva three-way fight earlier and STILL got absolutely bodied, even with the two summons. :(
Yeah, my first attempt I tried to go for the archer while the summons kept the other two busy. It didn't go well, as I couldn't kill him before the summons got put down and had all three on my ass.

Second attempt I stuck it out with the summons and backstabbed Havel and Alva to death, then all three of us took on the guy cosplaying as Lucateil. Miraculously took no arrows in the process.

Mike M

Nick N
I have been summoned twice as a Grey Phantom and died every time. Can I ever do them again?
Bell Keeper gray phantom? Yeah, just keep the ring on.

Doors of Pharros/Grave of Saints? That's a Rat Covenant member griefing you, there's not much benefit to getting a win. Not sure the gray phantom gets anything for beating the host in that situation, maybe a lock stone or something.

GulAtiCa

For Doors of Pharros, I find it better to just be offline for that annoying area. But, if you join the covenant (Rat), you won't be invaded/summoned anymore.

It's better to go through Grave of Saints first. They have to invade you there, I actually like that area better and stay online. Just the other place REALLY sucks...

Chitown B

I know you hardcores probably don't like this sort of thing, but I like summoning phantoms for my boss fights. Makes me feel less alone in the world, and I like have allies. :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I keep getting invaded in Drangelic Castle, which is really annoying considering all the crossbow-guys, the tiny ledges and such :(

Mistel

Banned
Doors of Pharros/Grave of Saints? That's a Rat Covenant member griefing you, there's not much benefit to getting a win. Not sure the gray phantom gets anything for beating the host in that situation, maybe a lock stone or something.
Rat tails is their reward as well as the lockstones
What's with the added petrified statues? Are they trying to force me to take a different route than the original game?
Pretty much as there's not really any reason for them to be there.

Morfeo

Killed the double Dragonriders in Drangelic on my second attempt, not a very special fight, but pretty cool still with an incredible tension as long as they were two. When one was down, it was easy to tank the other though.

RiggyRob

Episode 34, myself vs. Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKwxFZ9WZSs&index=34&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o220tYgbvVwwkDNMCTrHt0C

Probably the best dragon fight in the game, but that should be expected really since it's DLC and the others are pretty weak. I think there's an inherent difficulty in making a fight against a dragon be satisfying yet not be unrealistic either, and the balance was struck pretty well with Sinh.

I know you hardcores probably don't like this sort of thing, but I like summoning phantoms for my boss fights. Makes me feel less alone in the world, and I like have allies. :)

If they give you the option to summon NPCs, I see no reason not to. Makes fights a little more manageable, especially if you're having to deal with multiple enemies yourself.

Hugstable

Banned
I've currently been on a Souls frenzy and playing and building multiple characters throughout all the games, and I was wondering what other fun and viable builds there are for Dark Souls 2 Scholars other than just the usual STR or DEX builds I always do. I've always wanted to try the Magics, but scared that I wiill either make the game too hard or too easy.

Morfeo

Killed the Looking Glass Knight which was the first one in a while which was actually hard. Probably had to try 6-7 times before getting him. His three-swing combo always hit me with his third strike when i tried to roll, so i had to tank him more than i liked, which of course costed a lot of stamina at all times - thus making me open for attack. Was finally able to do it with a combination of rolling and tanking though, and also applied magic to my mace for more damage. Loved when he spawned the small knight, as that gave me time to take off about a third of his life-bar!

Mistel

Banned
I've currently been on a Souls frenzy and playing and building multiple characters throughout all the games, and I was wondering what other fun and viable builds there are for Dark Souls 2 Scholars other than just the usual STR or DEX builds I always do. I've always wanted to try the Magics, but scared that I wiill either make the game too hard or too easy.
You could do melee mixed as pure INT and HEX are rather easy FTH got a nerf and is a bit harder as a caster.

Morfeo

Ok, I just realized that the girl in Majuula had new stock of now UNLIMITED titanite shards and large shards. Googled it quickly, and saw that she actually have had that since Iron Keep. Guess I could have had a way easier time if i knew about that, anyways, time to upgrade stuff!

Novocaine

Ok, I just realized that the girl in Majuula had new stock of now UNLIMITED titanite shards and large shards. Googled it quickly, and saw that she actually have had that since Iron Keep. Guess I could have had a way easier time if i knew about that, anyways, time to upgrade stuff!

You'll get unlimited chunks soon also.

Morfeo

You'll get unlimited chunks soon also.

If he's just at the Shrine, he has quite a ways to go before she sells unlimited chunks.

Yeah, I am at the Shrine only, but nice to know Im going to get unlimited chunks as well. Btw, is 12 estus flasks maximum? She didnt want my shard :( Exploring that Shrine is annoying as hell with all the gaps though. Im using building, enemies and plants to know basically where to go, but finding secrets seems like a pain.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, I am at the Shrine only, but nice to know Im going to get unlimited chunks as well. Btw, is 12 estus flasks maximum? She didnt want my shard :( Exploring that Shrine is annoying as hell with all the gaps though. Im using building, enemies and plants to know basically where to go, but finding secrets seems like a pain.
Well the unlimited chunks is really only for postgame, but it'd allow you to level up your weapons before jumping into NG+

And yeah, 12 Estus Flask +5 is the max, even though you get more shards and bone dust than that : /

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Holy god the shaded woods is so stupid.

LMAO just ran around in a circle back to the start. Wow this is piss poor game design.

AND NOW I just fell to my death.

Mike M

Nick N
Really only the super foggy area is that bad, and you can get through that without hassle by hugging the wall to the left.

Or, my strategy:
Come back with the Preistess Eye and smash the now visible assholes into pulp with a Dark Sacred Chime Hammer +5

Yeah, it's these big foggy woods with ghost enemies and all you have to do is run to the left to avoid all the enemies and find the way out. Which is good, really. One of the decisions Dark Souls II made that wasn't inexplicably sadistic.

The changes to Iron Keep aren't very good. You don't get swarmed right from the start anymore, but now you get swarmed in in the middle. Completely not worth going to Smelter Demon because it's much more difficult than running through.

Neoweee

LMAO just ran around in a circle back to the start. Wow this is piss poor game design.

AND NOW I just fell to my death.

You getting lost isn't piss poor game design. There are no parts that loop back on themselves. The foggy woods is supposed to be disorienting, but it isn't hard to figure out which was is which.

Morfeo

Well the unlimited chunks is really only for postgame, but it'd allow you to level up your weapons before jumping into NG+

And yeah, 12 Estus Flask +5 is the max, even though you get more shards and bone dust than that : /

Guess I am at max then. Im not doing NG+, so probably wont matter much to me. If i ever need a new run of DS2, Im going to go with the Scholars-edition I guess.

Btw, I really liked the Shaded Woods, and it was not impossible to see the ghosts if you just looked really closely and spent a lot of time with the bow up.

Kid Ska

You getting lost isn't piss poor game design. There are no parts that loop back on themselves. The foggy woods is supposed to be disorienting, but it isn't hard to figure out which was is which.
Agree to disagree, but a low visibility area with few discernable qualities filled with invisible, tanky, aggressive enemies that can't be locked onto AND a dark spirit invasion along with a bottomless pit seems like overkill just for the sake of it. Granted, I'm already through and it was less difficult than I assumed at first, but I still think it's a bad area.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What bottomless pit? The only place you can fall in the foggy area is at the far limit of it at the back, and it's very obvious that you can't go any further without dying.

Kid Ska

Guess I'm in the minority I suppose, which is fine. I actually liked Blighttown so my taste in Dark Souls experiences might be skewed.

Well guys, it's time for me to leave this thread because just now i bought Dark Souls 3 for a damn nice price and i just didn't want to wait any longer. Finishing those SOTFS DLCs....some other time.

Thanks guys for the great help and no doubt see you in the DS3 thread. :D

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, my first attempt I tried to go for the archer while the summons kept the other two busy. It didn't go well, as I couldn't kill him before the summons got put down and had all three on my ass.

Second attempt I stuck it out with the summons and backstabbed Havel and Alva to death, then all three of us took on the guy cosplaying as Lucateil. Miraculously took no arrows in the process.

Its very doable solo. You just have to figure out that there is a looping path around the area, and stick with a disciplined hit and run strategy. If you have decent pyro, opening with toxic cloud as they charge you at the start shaves a good chunk of time off as they always run through it to get to you.

Morfeo

did Lost Sinner easily but I did use the two summons. Seemed like he would have been pretty easy to solo after the Ruin Sentinels.

Summons make every fight a joke, which is why i avoid them.

Valley of Defilement was a bloated, overly-long shit hole. Frame rate issues aside, Blighttown did a much better job with the same concept.

I disagree, I really liked Valley of Defilement. Finally finding an island just to be greeted by a giant depraved and his club was just the worst feeling - thus making the level incredibly tense and fun.

Mike M

Nick N
Summons make every fight a joke, which is why i avoid them.

I disagree, I really liked Valley of Defilement. Finally finding an island just to be greeted by a giant depraved and his club was just the worst feeling - thus making the level incredibly tense and fun.

Yes, but the problem was that to find that island you had to wander through a huge lake of poison swamp at a snail's pace.

52_en_leechmongerarchstone.gif

Just look at that shit. Like 80% of it is just empty nothing.

map07_blighttown_en.gif

Blighttown accomplished the same idea, only you'll find something no matter which way you go at any given location rather than vast empty tracts of nothing for no reason.

Ferr986

About Shaded Woods, you barely need to fight the ghosts. If you hit a faced tree, it will emit a cry that will lure the ghost dudes to the tree and you can catch them of guard and kill them easily. Or you can just hit a tree and run off, they will go after the tree.

Top Bottom