• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Nista

Is there something I need to do differently for putting down my white sign to help people with being summoned? Every time I try it on Xbox One is says Summoning canceled, Unable to join multiplayer session.

It's realyl frustrating since I'm just starting out and have died a bunch, so I wanted to get my humanity back to move onto the first boss.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Killed the Royal Aegis, but had no chance against Vendrick lol. Aegis was a cool fight and pretty challenging actually, probably had to take him on about 12-15 times before he went down. Ended up two-handing and only dodging, since blocking was pretty useless with how much stamina it took. Anyways, got the Kings Ring when i came back and made a run for it. Im guess its back to the Forest of the Giants now that I can finally open that door!

Ok I think I have had my fill of Dark Souls 3 for now(All 3 endings). Time to finish this game. Last time I made it to Archdragon Peak but I think I am going to start fresh. Just booted up a new character and I forgot how great they made this game look and feel with SOTFS.

Is Str/Faith still good or should i just dump all my points in Str?

Mistel

Banned
Ok I think I have had my fill of Dark Souls 3 for now(All 3 endings). Time to finish this game. Last time I made it to Archdragon Peak but I think I am going to start fresh. Just booted up a new character and I forgot how great they made this game look and feel with SOTFS.

Is Str/Faith still good or should i just dump all my points in Str?
STR/FTH is a good build for a character.

Claymores and other greatswords are still pretty good in DS2, VIT/END/STR builds always work (although in DS2 and 3, Vitality has been replaced by Vigor for HP, and the Vitality stat affects equip burden independently of Endurance, so only raise it if you want to wear heavy armour).

Magic is very very good in DS2, lots of fun to use. There's many options there; do you want a spellcaster that uses support/buffing magic to complement your mostly melee build, or do you want to mix up occasional offensive spells with melee, or do you want to pew-pew everything and nuke bosses?

I decided last night that I didn't want to bother running through all the oolacile stuff and wanted to just rush Gwyn. Dropped him after about 10 deaths, because my parry timing is pretty crappy, but I got him!

So I'm probably going to start in on SOTFS sooner than expected. I'm thinking that I want to dig into magic pretty hard; I think having a primarily melee build but with some pew-pew would make the most sense; so I'll probably go with vigor/end/str/int/att for priorities. How much attunement is needed, do you think? I'm guessing enough for like 3 or 4 spells. I'll have to do some digging. I've found with my time in DS1 that I end up enjoying these games more if I research the fuck out of them first because then I don't feel like I fucked everything up 20 hours in.

Morfeo

I decided last night that I didn't want to bother running through all the oolacile stuff and wanted to just rush Gwyn. Dropped him after about 10 deaths, because my parry timing is pretty crappy, but I got him!

So I'm probably going to start in on SOTFS sooner than expected. I'm thinking that I want to dig into magic pretty hard; I think having a primarily melee build but with some pew-pew would make the most sense; so I'll probably go with vigor/end/str/int/att for priorities. How much attunement is needed, do you think? I'm guessing enough for like 3 or 4 spells. I'll have to do some digging. I've found with my time in DS1 that I end up enjoying these games more if I research the fuck out of them first because then I don't feel like I fucked everything up 20 hours in.

You are missing out by not taking on the Oolacile stuff. Astorias in particular is a great, great boss. As is Kalameet (but hard as hell)

You are missing out by not taking on the Oolacile stuff. Astorias in particular is a great, great boss. As is Kalameet (but hard as hell)

Yeah, I guess I was just being impatient. I think if I ever decide to go back to DS1 I'll hit it next time, but I was at a point where I was very ready to be done with the game.

Twice technically in NG+.
Yeah, I was keeping that a secret :p.

They're easy

First time my friend told me about em I was like o great, them again...then I faced em and was like o they move like 1km/hr okay.

The running animation of the hollow soldiers at the Brightstone Cove Tseldora camp is... holy shit. Just god awful. And hilarious.

Lol yeah, where they sorta just slide or get weirdly jitterrey

They added a shit load of petrified undead everywhere. Kind of annoying.
Petrified Something? Yeah they did, but I like it, I have so many Tridents because of those

Pretty sadistic when you go down in that hole in the Undead Crypt, the bell rings and you are attacked by like 4 magicians/fast dagger-guys and a ton of lesser enemies while all the tombs makes rolling a struggle.

Yup. First time I played and dropped down I got pretty buttmad at that trap.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I just got the ring and I was hoping to finish the main quest by the time I left for vacation tomorrow morning. Is that plausible? Granted I do have to be up at 4:30 tomorrow morning but it feels like the game is wrapping up.

Mike M

Nick N
what's the point of rolling over to NG+ instead of just burning ascetics where you please?
Some stuff only happens in NG+ and beyond. Mostly covenant stuff being available for purchase in NG++ rather than fulfilling insane requirements. Also there's a couple items available only under very specific conditions needing a start from NG.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Some stuff only happens in NG+ and beyond. Mostly covenant stuff being available for purchase in NG++ rather than fulfilling insane requirements. Also there's a couple items available only under very specific conditions needing a start from NG.
Plus some might just want to replay the whole game and that works better than burning ascetics at every single bonfire. :p

Going through the ice castle section since I was blocked in Shulva, and man... This game. Such beautiful sights!

Is there a preferred order you all attack the DLC with?

Morfeo

Got stuck after the Kings Door in Forest of the Giants, so went to the door in Shaded Woods and Alidas Keep instead, and yeah, another creepy area for sure, but actually pretty easy all things considered. I only died twice here, one on the (mandatory) death at the start, and one at my first attempt at the Guardian Dragon. The Dragon itself looked menacing, but was really easy to out-navigate and just hack away at his feets - which killed him pretty quickly since his foot attack was so easy to avoid. Pretty disappointing all around really, especially considering the awesome Kalameet-fight in DS1.

Mistel

Banned
Got stuck after the Kings Door in Forest of the Giants, so went to the door in Shaded Woods and Alidas Keep instead, and yeah, another creepy area for sure, but actually pretty easy all things considered. I only died twice here, one on the (mandatory) death at the start, and one at my first attempt at the Guardian Dragon. The Dragon itself looked menacing, but was really easy to out-navigate and just hack away at his feets - which killed him pretty quickly since his foot attack was so easy to avoid. Pretty disappointing all around really, especially considering the awesome Kalameet-fight in DS1.
There's no mandatory death in Alida's Keep.

o god. So I just started playing DaS 2 again after taking a break from 3 due to the influx of hackers. My god, I forgot how slow estus drinking was, AND HOW BLOODY LONG IT TAKES TO HEAL YOU! Also attack animations look so rigid and off.

Arkanius

The more I play Dark Souls 2, the more I like it compared with Dark Souls 3.
I can't explain it :(

58684D7FCBFBB685EA59B88CF3593E934996C0EF

Rat Covenant 4 lyfe

wait the skeleton dragon can activate?

Yea, in vanilla DaS 2 it did it once you walked in the door, but with SotFS you have to do this:
There will be these objects(forgot the game name for em, they're just stone things with bone as cinder) that you can light if you have your torch out, you need to light I think three of em then go back to that area and he explodes. Be careful though, each time you light one of the things a red phantom appears and they're pretty tough.

Yea, in vanilla DaS 2 it did it once you walked in the door, but with SotFS you have to do this:
There will be these objects(forgot the game name for em, they're just stone things with bone as cinder) that you can light if you have your torch out, you need to light I think three of em then go back to that area and he explodes. Be careful though, each time you light one of the things a red phantom appears and they're pretty tough.

huh alright, I'll go back and try that

seems like vanilla DaS 2 did that better though

Morfeo

huh alright, I'll go back and try that

seems like vanilla DaS 2 did that better though

I dont know, I just entered the room, was very careful as always in this game, then the dragon suddenly appeared, and i tried to seek shelter behind the wooden wagon which of course didnt help shit - so i died :(

Anyways, I am in this game's Anor Londor aka Dragon Shrine now. Some of the enemies here are crazy hard since staggering them is basically impossible, meaning one mistake and its death. I had to resort to cheap them out with my bow after a while, since i got tired of always messing up. Also, fuck that guy that sends lighting at me in the middle of the fight!

Mistel

Banned
I dont know, I just entered the room, was very careful as always in this game, then the dragon suddenly appeared, and i tried to seek shelter behind the wooden wagon which of course didnt help shit - so i died
It doesn't suddenly appeared its skeleton is always there until it activates.

Top Bottom