• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Any changelog for the new PS4 patch?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. DS3 is depressing to me -- not because of how sad the characters are or the state of the world, but because it feels like such a goddamn wasted opportunity. Every callback in the game feels like a hollow shell of what it's trying to emulate from past games. It's the only one in the series I've become utterly sick of. Where is all of the bitching about adds, trash mobs and dudes in armor for DS3? It's pretty quiet.

How many bosses have adds on DS3?...please tell me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How many bosses have adds on DS3?...please tell me.
6-8, depending on what you consider an "add".

Curse-Rotted Greatwood
Crystal Sage
Abyss Watchers
Deacons of the Deep (debatable since it's a gimmick boss)
High Lord Wolnir
Pontiff Sulyvahn
Lorian & Lothric
Ancient Wyvern (debatable since it's a gimmick "level" boss)

7-8, depending on what you consider an "add".

Not
Crystal Sage
clones, for sure.

Abyss Watchers
first phase (which has an add that helps you)

Curse-Rotted Greatwood.

And Deacons of the deep

Pontiff Sulyvahn 2nd phase

High Lord Wolnir

Prince Brothers
is two people acting as a single entity and moveset.

5 adds, much less and much better done than DS2.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
See my edited post.

AW's add doesn't always "help" at all, they can be quite nasty.

L&L
have two health bars (only one of which matters) and each brother has their own attack patterns, one casts magic while the others attacks with the sword. They just share the movement.

Never got the complain about adds anyway. It's been there since Demon's Souls.

See my edited post.

AW's add doesn't always "help" at all, they can be quite nasty.

L&L
have two health bars (only one of which matters) and each brother has their own attack patterns, one casts magic while the others attacks with the sword. They just share the movement.

Never got the complain about adds anyway. It's been there since Demon's Souls.

AW's add won't help if you aggro him by attacking him, which is quickly resolved when they recieve the attack of one of the others. He always ends being a useful distraction.

L&L have their own attacks, and bar, but is just a mechanic of the fight, thet effectively make for one moveset to only care about.

I think the complain comes for the number of bosses with adds and how cheap they were, rather than just having adds. Belfry gargoyles, Royal Rat, Freja and others aren't fun at all and it has a lot to do on how the adds were implemented, unlike in DS3 fights like
Wolnir
, having the boss being able to hurt adds just changes entirely the dynamics.

Or don't make me talk about the damned DLC gank squad....

jonjonaug

AW's add won't help if you aggro him by attacking him, which is quickly resolved when they recieve the attack of one of the others. He always ends being a useful distraction.

L&L have their own attacks, and bar, but is just a mechanic of the fight, thet effectively make for one moveset to only care about.

I think the complain comes for the number of bosses with adds and how cheap they were, rather than just having adds. Belfry gargoyles, Royal Rat, Freja and others aren't fun at all and it has a lot to do on how the adds were implemented, unlike in DS3 fights like
Wolnir
, having the boss being able to hurt adds just changes entirely the dynamics.

Or don't make me talk about the damned DLC gank squad....

Or NG+ Lost Sinner pre-nerf.

Chitown B

It seems that because of the exploding Primal bonfire on the 4th one (whichever that is), it screwed up my achievement for Iron Keep's bonfire. It didn't register and it stuck on my X1 at "100% unlocking" but isn't unlocked. UGH

edit: popped 24 hours later during a video.

Saya

I recently bought the Scholar of the First Sin edition for the PS3. Just finished my first playthrough and loved it. Somehow Aldia gave me a lot of trouble and I died so many times, but I managed it. I took my first attempt at the DLC, Shulva I think. Is it just me or does the difficulty suddenly spike up considerably? Enemies and area seem to be a lot tougher.

Ferr986

I recently bought the Scholar of the First Sin edition for the PS3. Just finished my first playthrough and loved it. Somehow Aldia gave me a lot of trouble and I died so many times, but I managed it. I took my first attempt at the DLC, Shulva I think. Is it just me or does the difficulty suddenly spike up considerably? Enemies and area seem to be a lot tougher.

yes, DLC is end-game content in Souls/Bloodborne games.

Chitown B

You have to go back, sadly.

BB and DS3 improved that, thank God, with Covenant "Rings" being their own unique slot you can freely switch between.

Sucks. Usually the person is near a bonfire. Then there's Sunlight Bros which you have to go through some Harvest Valley for. Bleh.

Yes the DLC is quite tough. I mean some of the bosses, Jesus Christ...

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
You have to go back, sadly.

BB and DS3 improved that, thank God, with Covenant "Rings" being their own unique slot you can freely switch between.

Sucks. Usually the person is near a bonfire. Then there's Sunlight Bros which you have to go through some Harvest Valley for. Bleh.

thanks, ill did just that.
It's just a quick run its not that difficult going backwards via Earthen Peak is an option.
from the second bonfire in harvest valley its just one enemy, the others dont aggro.

Mike M

Nick N
Took down Fume Knight (Fuuuuuuuuuuck that guy) then Vendrick to get the King's Set and Vendrick's blessing. That leaves Frigid Outskirts, Iron Passage, and the Abyss chasms. Got 90 effigies and no need to use them to restore humanity, surely I can do it.

Saya

Took down Fume Knight (Fuuuuuuuuuuck that guy) then Vendrick to get the King's Set and Vendrick's blessing. That leaves Frigid Outskirts, Iron Passage, and the Abyss chasms. Got 90 effigies and no need to use them to restore humanity, surely I can do it.

90 effigies? Damn I almost ran out of them trying to kill Sinh. I think I need to farm them because I'm not sure how I will beat some bosses without help.

Just made my way to the second DLC area. Wow that castle is beautiful walking up to it over the chain. Gorgeous game.

Novocaine

90 effigies? Damn I almost ran out of them trying to kill Sinh. I think I need to farm them because I'm not sure how I will beat some bosses without help.

Just made my way to the second DLC area. Wow that castle is beautiful walking up to it over the chain. Gorgeous game.

Remember if you drop your stone and successfully help someone you revert to human. That also allows you to get some practice in on the boss.

Also for future reference Sinh is waaaaaay easier by yourself.

Saya

Remember if you drop your stone and successfully help someone you revert to human. That also allows you to get some practice in on the boss.

Also for future reference Sinh is waaaaaay easier by yourself.

Cool, thanks for the tip. He is easier? Do the bosses get more health if you summon people? Damn. He wrecked me in my first tries. I always summoned Eddie and that other NPC. After a while I got his routine and pattern down and managed to cut off his tail pretty fast.

Novocaine

Cool, thanks for the tip. He is easier? Do the bosses get more health if you summon people? Damn. He wrecked me in my first tries. I always summoned Eddie and that other NPC. After a while I got his routine and pattern down and managed to cut off his tail pretty fast.

Yeah the more people you have the more health the boss gets. But Sinh's health just melts off as soon as you can get yourself into the junk area and start hacking.

Mike M

Nick N
I beat Sinh on the first try with both summons, but it was a nail biter.

Think I'm just going to tackle the rest of the game and call it done. My soul memory level is so high it's in orbit, I'm neither getting summoned or seeing signs anymore.

EDIT: I've always known Aldia was supposed to be a face and the red glowing thing his eye, but I never actually saw it as such until tonight. And I fought him like a dozen times as a phantom.

RiggyRob

Wait, is this a thing you can do with all dragon bosses? I thought it was only in DS1?

Steiner84

had to use repair powder for sinh. greatsword almost broke.

almost exactly in the same position as you, only i havent killed sir alonne.
fully upgraded havel set, fully upgraded dragonrider shield, fully upgraded greatsword, dragon tooth, large club, fume ultra greatsword and hunters blackbow.
I think ill call it a day and move on to ds3 now.
outskirts can fuck off

I hope i will enjoy ds3 as much as I did 2. FRom the videos ive seen it plays much more like bloodborne? Not that thats inherently bad, but im really in the mood for the slower combat of 2 and from what ive heard, pure strength builds dont seem to be that fun in 3? Also the enemy design oozes too much bloodborne for me (in the dark souls universe).. Im not convinced yet. Will 3 become more dark souls-esque or is it really more of a darkborne?

Ferr986

Outskirts and Iron Passage are tuned for coop, so yeah they're really hard.

I don't think the Outskirts are that bad tbh, you just need to be sure to be inside a bulding when the blizzard comes, so the deers don't spawn. You'll still encounter some in long distances but yo never should get 2 on you.

The area for Alonne is also hard but it's worth fighting that dude solo. Probably the best fight on DS2.

Saya

Wait, is this a thing you can do with all dragon bosses? I thought it was only in DS1?

I haven't tried it with the Guardian Dragon, but with Sinh you can chop it off. He's a lot more manageable without a tail. He doesn't drop a weapon or anything else like in DS1.

Steiner84

Outskirts and Iron Passage are tuned for coop, so yeah they're really hard.

I don't think the Outskirts are that bad tbh, you just need to be sure to be inside a bulding when the blizzard comes, so the deers don't spawn. You'll still encounter some in long distances but yo never should get 2 on you.

The area for Alonne is also hard but it's worth fighting that dude solo. Probably the best fight on DS2.

died to smelter 3 times with 1 or 2 hits left, the way to him is what sucks.
Thats also my biggest gripe with the game. Just let me go for the boss instead of wasting half my playtime running to him. same with other bosses, ancient dragon comes to mind.

I feel like this may be a bit of a long shot but anyone on PS4 with a character around soul tier 39 (Between 9,000,000 - 11,999,999 soul memory) in NG+ feel like helping me clear up a few things i need for the platinum trophy? It'll be nice to finally finish off this game. I just need to beat Sir Alonne (i'm having an embarrassingly hard time with him, i just beat Fume Knight easily enough) for the smelter wedge and make my way through Crown of the Ivory King to grab a couple of spells from there. I can offer hugs, kisses, warm milk and a nice back rub as thanks.

PSN: jacob_armitage

EDIT: All done, now i just need to farm 3 million souls to unlock the shrine of winter, or just play through NG+++ normally to get to Chancellor Wellager

Saya

The way to the Blue Smelter Demon in the Iron Passage is a pain in the ass. Does anyone know if the mobs before him also despawn after 15 kills or so? I might just grind on them to make the way to the boss a bit easier.

The way to the Blue Smelter Demon in the Iron Passage is a pain in the ass. Does anyone know if the mobs before him also despawn after 15 kills or so? I might just grind on them to make the way to the boss a bit easier.
Mobs will despawn after killing them x times.

Steiner84

I hope i will enjoy ds3 as much as I did 2. FRom the videos ive seen it plays much more like bloodborne? Not that thats inherently bad, but im really in the mood for the slower combat of 2 and from what ive heard, pure strength builds dont seem to be that fun in 3? Also the enemy design oozes too much bloodborne for me (in the dark souls universe).. Im not convinced yet. Will 3 become more dark souls-esque or is it really more of a darkborne?

someone?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's still Dark Souls. Actually it's pretty much like Demon's Souls 2.

If you want to play a sword-and-shield type of character, no problem. You can take it slow and block all day with a greatshield, no problem. Pure strength might not be as strong as in some of the past games but it's still very viable.

Steiner84

It's still Dark Souls. Actually it's pretty much like Demon's Souls 2.

If you want to play a sword-and-shield type of character, no problem. You can take it slow and block all day with a greatshield, no problem. Pure strength might not be as strong as in some of the past games but it's still very viable.

thanks. ill start it this week i think.

Saya

Managed to kill the Blue Smelter Demon and finished up most of the Brume Tower area... except for the Fume Knight. I'm out of effigies and he is kicking my ass. Any good strategy? His second phase usually kills me in one hit. :(

Saya

Yes!!! I beat Fume Knight! Loved that boss. Once you get the rolling pattern down he's manageable. Used the greatsword +10 and full king's armor. Now I can finally upgrade to the Fume Greatsword.

RiggyRob

Episode 37, myself vs. Sir Alonne: https://youtu.be/MugEBM2AOpQ

Great music for this fight, possibly the best in the game, but overall I don't think Sir Alonne felt as good as Fume Knight or Burnt Ivory King. Mainly because I was tired of them re-using the same attacks for the humanoid bosses, but in Sir Alonne's case also because he was moving and attacking so quickly I was just left thinking 'Why can't I do that?'

Need to watch the special death animation if you kill him without taking damage too, just to see what it looks like!

Yay got my platinum! I'm normally not bothered about achievements/trophies but i really wanted to go for it in this game and finally its all done.

I'm not sure what to do now, i don't have DS3 yet as i'm back in college and on a super tight budget. Maybe i'll pick up the Bloodborne expansion as its fairly cheap, i keep hoping it'll go on sale.

Novocaine

Yay got my platinum! I'm normally not bothered about achievements/trophies but i really wanted to go for it in this game and finally its all done.

I'm not sure what to do now, i don't have DS3 yet as i'm back in college and on a super tight budget. Maybe i'll pick up the Bloodborne expansion as its fairly cheap, i keep hoping it'll go on sale.

Grats mate. BB DLC is worth the cost, just the new weapons alone makes the game a blast to play through again.

Top Bottom