• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

I like the boss of three a lot more than two. The bosses are more diverse and vary greatly/ DaS 2 it was pretty objective if a boss was hard or not, in DaS 3 a lot of the time people will find a boss easy or hard, and another person will find the same boss hard or easy. I prefer the rolling of two though, in three when I roll I go so far away and when fighting a boss they end up doing a gap closer and I'm fucked. Also screw the goddamn queue system in DaS 3, shit is pissing me off. I'll try and roll, get hit before i roll, then my guy rolls and gets hit again.

Each game has its faults but for me DaS 3 looks better, moves better, animations are smoother, Co-Op works better, bosses are more diverse and unique, layout is better, bonfire placement makes more sense, estus chug-a-lug is back.

DaS 2 has better roll distance, no stupid queue, poise, magic is viable, miracles are viable, more useful rings.

Tarkus

I like the boss of three a lot more than two. The bosses are more diverse and vary greatly/ DaS 2 it was pretty objective if a boss was hard or not, in DaS 3 a lot of the time people will find a boss easy or hard, and another person will find the same boss hard or easy. I prefer the rolling of two though, in three when I roll I go so far away and when fighting a boss they end up doing a gap closer and I'm fucked. Also screw the goddamn queue system in DaS 3, shit is pissing me off. I'll try and roll, get hit before i roll, then my guy rolls and gets hit again.

Each game has its faults but for me DaS 3 looks better, moves better, animations are smoother, Co-Op works better, bosses are more diverse and unique, layout is better, bonfire placement makes more sense, estus chug-a-lug is back.

DaS 2 has better roll distance, no stupid queue, poise, magic is viable, miracles are viable, more useful rings, and everything PvP
Improved that for you

I mean, I like it just fine, but it's janky as fuck on PS4. DS1 janky without the cheap backstabs.

Ah, I play on PC and didn't notice too much of an issue with it. I like how many slots there are for PvP though.

DS3 doesn't have poise?

The stat is there, but a simple dagger breaks your poise. There's hyper-armour but that's different.

Apparently people have looked int he game files and it shows poise set to 0 instead of 1.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I talked to the ancient dragon, and got an item that apparently can access memories, and I am now completely lost. Am i supposed to go find all the giant statues/threes that are all over the world?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I talked to the ancient dragon, and got an item that apparently can access memories, and I am now completely lost. Am i supposed to go find all the giant statues/threes that are all over the world?
There's only 3 giant trees and they're all in the same location
Forest of Fallen Giant

Morfeo

There's only 3 giant trees and they're all in the same location
Forest of Fallen Giant

Ok, nice! I already entered one of the two I remember, the one after the Kings Door. First thing that happens is that I get a msg that says i cant stay there for long, so i rush, get engulved in a huge firestorm (or whatever it was) and is dead lol. Guess thats it for tonight.

Ok, nice! I already entered one of the two I remember, the one after the Kings Door. First thing that happens is that I get a msg that says i cant stay there for long, so i rush, get engulved in a huge firestorm (or whatever it was) and is dead lol. Guess thats it for tonight.

I'm not sure how long you can stay, but you can be in there long enough to explore at a decent pace. Don't rush and die, you can always re-enter if need be.

Morfeo

I'm not sure how long you can stay, but you can be in there long enough to explore at a decent pace. Don't rush and die, you can always re-enter if need be.

Ok, good. I always play at an extremely slow pace, so its a kinda new experience for me to have a time limit like that.

Novocaine

no stupid queue

My fucking god it's probably the most annoying thing about 3, even worse than whatever the fuck poise is supposed to be.

What's the matter with PvP in DaS 3? I like it significantly more than DaS 2 PvP

Having 7 people from all different covenants running around in a big FFA is awesome as. But it's so janky. When there's more than 2-3 people shit is just unpredictable. Also half of the covenant auto summons don't work.

Ok, good. I always play at an extremely slow pace, so its a kinda new experience for me to have a time limit like that.
Yeah, it's a pretty neat feature. I was going through hastily first time I saw it, but then I realized I had a lot of time in there.

My fucking god it's probably the most annoying thing about 3, even worse than whatever the fuck poise is supposed to be.

Having 7 people from all different covenants running around in a big FFA is awesome as. But it's so janky. When there's more than 2-3 people shit is just unpredictable. Also half of the covenant auto summons don't work.

I think the poise stat is supposed to be hyper-armour and is just some massive typo. Hyper-armour works decently but is still pretty garbage most of the time.

Yeah, it's fun when there's a fight club going on. I wanna do some PvP but I'm too worried about the hackers on PC that are softbanning people by giving them tons of souls. People are still talking about it on the reviews and discussions of the game.

I never tried any of the auto-summoning I've been putting my sign down.

Chitown B

Ah, I play on PC and didn't notice too much of an issue with it. I like how many slots there are for PvP though.

The stat is there, but a simple dagger breaks your poise. There's hyper-armour but that's different.

Apparently people have looked int he game files and it shows poise set to 0 instead of 1.

that's crap. why has it not been patched yet?

that's crap. why has it not been patched yet?

Because From likes to take their time. There's been hackers running around stabbing innocent players with daggers that give an obscene amount of souls causing the innocent player to be softbanned. This has been going on for over a week.

The lack of poise is really annoying in PvP I've died so many times to a super quick weapon because I have a medium speed weapon

RiggyRob

Episode 36, myself vs. Fume Knight: https://youtu.be/sTfnzThdLRE

Not quite as grand as Burnt Ivory King, but impressive all the same. I liked how he switched up between fast and slow attacks in prefer to catch you off your guard, and I couldn't believe that he could get staggered by Steelheart Ellie!

The backstory that he was Velstadt's brother acting as a protector for another queen was pretty nice too.

Episode 36, myself vs. Fume Knight: https://youtu.be/sTfnzThdLRE

Not quite as grand as Burnt Ivory King, but impressive all the same. I liked how he switched up between fast and slow attacks in prefer to catch you off your guard, and I couldn't believe that he could get staggered by Steelheart Ellie!

The backstory that he was Velstadt's brother acting as a protector for another queen was pretty nice too.

Brother in arms not actual brother. But yeah, if you wanna know a neat little secret with Fume
If you go in wearing Velstadts helm, Fume immediately goes into rage mode.

hackers on PC or all systems? I assume just PC, which makes me glad I play console.

PC only. I prefer PC due to having a great rig, and most of my friends are on PC so it's fun to help them with bosses and talk about it with the Steam overlay.

Morfeo

Completed the three memories in Forest of the Fallen Giant. The one with the boss was fun, but the two other were very basic and seemed like they were kinda rushed. Really cool to go back in time like this though, they definitely could have done much more with this concept. Anyways, had to consult a guide to know where to go after this, goes its back to the room after the spider for next memory!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The more I play Dark Souls 2, the more I like it compared with Dark Souls 3.
I can't explain it :(

Dark Souls 3 is a better action game, it feels slicker and generally more refined. Unfortunately that, and the nicer graphics are all it has going for it, which is problematic if you consider (like I do) Bloodborne to be an even sharper iteration of those aspects.

DS2 (SOTFS particularly) may be sprawling and frequently scrappy, but is full of ideas and characters and imagination. It feels to me like the people making it were actually trying to advance the formula beyond the established template, and as a result it still feels adventurous and somewhat fresh to play. Its full of touches that you simply don't get in any other game in the series.

DS3 sadly in its present state, contains too many call-backs compared to new ideas in my opinion. The ratio of old to new is waaay out of whack, diminishing the whole experience to a kind of nostalgia-tour. I'm not averse to sentimental journeys but its just not terribly thrilling to me.

I know some folks got excited about returning to Anor Londo, but I still find discovering poor wasted King Vendrick wandering in mindless circles in the depths of the undead crypt far more meaningful (in lore terms) and impactful as a reveal.

Arkanius

Dark Souls 3 is a better action game, it feels slicker and generally more refined. Unfortunately that, and the nicer graphics are all it has going for it, which is problematic if you consider (like I do) Bloodborne to be an even sharper iteration of those aspects.

DS2 (SOTFS particularly) may be sprawling and frequently scrappy, but is full of ideas and characters and imagination. It feels to me like the people making it were actually trying to advance the formula beyond the established template, and as a result it still feels adventurous and somewhat fresh to play. Its full of touches that you simply don't get in any other game in the series.

DS3 sadly in its present state, contains too many call-backs compared to new ideas in my opinion. The ratio of old to new is waaay out of whack, diminishing the whole experience to a kind of nostalgia-tour. I'm not averse to sentimental journeys but its just not terribly thrilling to me.

I know some folks got excited about returning to Anor Londo, but I still find discovering poor wasted King Vendrick wandering in mindless circles in the depths of the undead crypt far more meaningful (in lore terms) and impactful as a reveal.

Best part of DS2. The whole trip from Drangleic Castle to entering Vendricks chamber was something else that DS3 never got close to give me something meaninful.

Whenever I think of DS2, I remember Vendrick. Like DS1 for me is the Battle with Gwyn.

Morfeo

Best part of DS2. The whole trip from Drangleic Castle to entering Vendricks chamber was something else that DS3 never got close to give me something meaninful.

Whenever I think of DS2, I remember Vendrick. Like DS1 for me is the Battle with Gwyn.

Definitely agree that the trip from Drangelic to Vendrick has been awesome, but Gwyn wasnt as memorable for me. In that game, it was the start up to Anor Londo that really was the high point of the game, climaxing in O&S. After that, it went slightly downwards imo.

I love both moments equally, you can't make me choose!

Morfeo

This sorcerer Navlaan or whatever his name is, is a real son of a bitch, what the hell triggered him invading me everywhere?

Mike M

Nick N
This sorcerer Navlaan or whatever his name is, is a real son of a bitch, what the hell triggered him invading me everywhere?
You released him in Aldia's Manor.

Just kill him there and he'll stop. Just hit him with something fast every time he winds up for a spell and you'll stagger him out of it. He'll just keeps trying to cast, so you can just stab him to death.

Morfeo

You let him out, didn't you?

Of course, why wouldnt I. This game's Lautrec/Yurt?

You released him in Aldia's Manor.

Just kill him there and he'll stop. Just hit him with something fast every time he winds up for a spell and you'll stagger him out of it. He'll just keeps trying to cast, so you can just stab him to death.

Ok, Im going there right now and killing him off.

Anyways, what is the best way to tackle the last stuff, I think i can now take on the dragon, vendrick, or go to the throne, but i want to be able to take on all of it. Any recommended progression route?

Mike M

Nick N
Of course, why wouldnt I. This game's Lautrec/Yurt?

Ok, Im going there right now and killing him off.

Anyways, what is the best way to tackle the last stuff, I think i can now take on the dragon, vendrick, or go to the throne, but i want to be able to take on all of it. Any recommended progression route?

If you haven't gotten the item from the dragon, you can't tackle Vendrick (well, you shouldn't at any rate). There's a bit more item chaining BS to collect before it becomes feasible.

You could probably do the throne without problem. I'd actually recommend doing that before the endgame
lest you get stuck in a boss rush of final bosses.

Morfeo

You let him out, didn't you?

If you haven't gotten the item from the dragon, you can't tackle Vendrick (well, you shouldn't at any rate). There's a bit more item chaining BS to collect before it becomes feasible.

You could probably do the throne without problem. I'd actually recommend doing that before the endgame
lest you get stuck in a boss rush of final bosses.

Ok, so the throne room first it is then. Doing that tomorrow! Killed off Navlaan at least :)

Giving the game a second run through and going for the platinum. NG+ Iron passage is giving me such a hard time.

Anyone on PS4 able to give me a hand? Soul tier 38, psn : jacob_armitage.

any assistance would be appreciated, getting a little frustrated w/ it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Of course, why wouldnt I.
Because uh...

Turn back
Turn back
Turn back Turn back
Turn back
Turn back Turn back Turn back
Turn back

Don't you dare!

:p

This game's Lautrec/Yurt?
More like Mephistopheles if you don't let him out (though
you don't actually need to kill the NPCs, you can get the item he asks for in other ways
), but if you do let him out.... nah not really, he doesn't kill NPCs, just harasses you by invading everywhere.

Jombie

No choice is needed friend, I'd recommend both games in heartbeat. :D

But, if someone asked me which one I'm more likely to come back to, its SOTFS all the way,

I'm glad I'm not the only one. DS3 is depressing to me -- not because of how sad the characters are or the state of the world, but because it feels like such a goddamn wasted opportunity. Every callback in the game feels like a hollow shell of what it's trying to emulate from past games. It's the only one in the series I've become utterly sick of. Where is all of the bitching about adds, trash mobs and dudes in armor for DS3? It's pretty quiet.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
im in kinda the same situation als morfeo, im also not entirely sure how to proceed.

Last i did was kill Velstad, lootet the kings ring and headed to the kings door in shaded woods. Allready cleared alidas keep and the dragon and am now at the dragon aerie bonfire.
But i remember at least 3 other king doors, one in shrine of amana, on in forest of the fallen giants and one in castle drangleic.
The things i know i havent done yet are the dark areas from grandahl and all DLCs

What is the best way to proceed? I want to clear the most i can, not finishing the game asap.

Morfeo

Because uh...

Turn back
Turn back
Turn back Turn back
Turn back
Turn back Turn back Turn back
Turn back

Don't you dare!

:p

More like Mephistopheles if you don't let him out (though
you don't actually need to kill the NPCs, you can get the item he asks for in other ways
), but if you do let him out.... nah not really, he doesn't kill NPCs, just harasses you by invading everywhere.

Haha, well I am so used to messages always being trolling, guess i learnt a lesson there :) The fact that Yurt actually killed NPC's must have been one of the cruelest design decisions in the whole series btw, no way to know on your first run, and it can easily lock you out of important spells/miracles if you go that route.

What did i do that the skelton dragon did nothing? Ive cleard the area, allready killed the boss and the skeleton is still just that: A skeleton.

You are playing SotfS, I am playing vanilla DS2. In the first, he is activated by doing something specific, in vanilla, he just explodes in your face and kills you.

Steiner84

You are playing SotfS, I am playing vanilla DS2. In the first, he is activated by doing something specific, in vanilla, he just explodes in your face and kills you.

ok, ive looked it up. Back to the keep to
light the torch! Also missed the hidden bonfire.

No choice is needed friend, I'd recommend both games in heartbeat. :D

But, if someone asked me which one I'm more likely to come back to, its SOTFS all the way,
Right on haha. I honestly just tell my friends to play them sequentially, as each offers something the others do not and they're all worth playing over and over.

Ferr986

DaS 2 has better roll distance, no stupid queue, poise, magic is viable, miracles are viable, more useful rings.

Really? DS3 spams the shit out of bonfires in some areas even more than DS2.

I would say estus chug is 50/50, better for PvE but worse for PvP.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
does it make sense to unleash the caged mobs in aldias keep with the lever?

If you are a magic user definitely. In SOTFS clearing all the caged mobs yields a bunch of nice drops, including a very useful staff that covers hexes, miracles and sorceries.

Steiner84

If you are a magic user definitely. In SOTFS clearing all the caged mobs yields a bunch of nice drops, including a very useful staff that covers hexes, miracles and sorceries.

not at all.
int 4, faith 5 iirc..
ok, ill just let them dwell in der agony.

Top Bottom