• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Jesus Christ.

16819815497_fb1f1bdb95_o.png
That's just stupid.

That area has always been awful though, like it's specifically meant to be run through.

def sim

How will this game be for someone who's first Souls game is Bloodborne?

It will likely be harder, at least initially. Significantly slower roll with less invincibility frames, not every weapon can combo, starting health and stamina is lower, and health items are more limited. You just have to play differently, really. It won't be too bad since you've played Bloodborne already.

Stellares

I thought the main game had enough places with questionable enemy placement. Its like they read the complaints and made it worse.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Really? What's even the point of this?

For what it's worth I never had any of those guys aggro on me at all, basically each area wherever they are standing they kneel and wait for you to fight the stone golem or knight or whatever. Once you kill it they stand up and let you pass. I believe if you run through they aggro on you. It was not much of a problem at all..... No idea if they aggro on you if you kill the ancient dragon, but then again why would you run backup that staircase if you had....

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
The one in Black Gulch, for example.

Also a petrified dude in front of the door that leads to the Ruin Sentinels was pretty obnoxious. I'm glad I got one somewhere.

I'm not really a fan of co-op either. Makes the boss fights too easy, especially in this game, where they're already too easy.
Your right I completely forgot about the black gulch one. They are pretty lenient in terms of how many fragrant branches you get though, I never had an issue.

Corpekata

Banned
For what it's worth I never had any of those guys aggro on me at all, basically each area wherever they are standing they kneel and wait for you to fight the stone golem or knight or whatever. Once you kill it they stand up and let you pass. I believe if you run through they aggro on you. It was not much of a problem at all..... No idea if they aggro on you if you kill the ancient dragon, but then again why would you run backup that staircase if you had....

Yeah a lot of the instances of mountains of monsters seem to either have a gimmick or they all have small aggro radius so far in my experience.

Lexad

It will likely be harder, at least initially. Significantly slower roll with less invincibility frames, not every weapon can combo, starting health and stamina is lower, and health items are more limited. You just have to play differently, really. It won't be too bad since you've played Bloodborne already.

I just picked up the Metro duo pack as a pallet cleanser but plan on picking it up in the near future

Mandelbo

Fair enough, but I still don't understand why there have to be more here in that case. The area was challenging enough on vanilla, and just putting more enemies down doesn't really make the encounter more interesting. I'm very interested on what the rationale behind a lot of these changes were other than just throwing seasoned players off.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

They agro you if you take the dragon egg (for the dragon covenant).

Hugstable

Banned
Jesus Christ.

16819815497_fb1f1bdb95_o.png

Ugh I didn't even get this far and this was my exact problem with my 5 hours of playing the vanilla game late last year. In Dark Souls 1, for most encounters you could pull and be fighting enemies personally 1 on 1, sometimes maybe 2 on 1 if you had a crappy pull, but there was very little times were they through alot of enemies at you, and when they did, it was usually weak ass ghoulies. I may skip on this now, I had annoyances with it in Vanilla, and it just seems like they decided to say "fuck it" and make it worse.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
They agro you if you take the dragon egg (for the dragon covenant).

Nah it's nothing to do with the dragon egg, I took the egg and then continued the rest of the way. I still maintain its now thought of as spectators watching a series of duels, in each area the onlookers go through animations once you arrive, as your fighting, and before you leave. The only time I ever caught aggro on them was in the second group, when I tried to run past the stone knight and run to the next area they followed me. When I respawned at the bonfire and went back to that area they were back to neutral.

I found the run up to the ancient dragon actually easier here, as in the vanilla version there were a dozen dudes to fight, here there were only four or five

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I might have to go back to my "fuck it Ill just coop" stance if im going to enjoy this I think

the dark souls games have never been about the hardcore bosses for me, its always been about the zones, the exploration, etc. I dont know why after bloodborne (where I didnt summon but have now learned that most bosses were bugged to be nerfed anyway) Im in this mentality of "oh its not real unless you solo"

Ac30

I must suck so bad. I just got to Heidi's tower with the 3 stone golems in one room, how the fuck do you pass that? I tried throwing knives to lure them out but they all follow... I assume this is stupid easy to get past and I just suck, which means I'm gonna get slaughtered later :/

Seanspeed

Banned
Seems like people really go out of their way to make DS2 look bad at times.

I must suck so bad. I just got to Heidi's tower with the 3 stone golems in one room, how the fuck do you pass that? I tried throwing knives to lure them out but they all follow... I assume this is stupid easy to get past and I just suck, which means I'm gonna get slaughtered later :/

The two on the sides will hang back until you kill the center one. You should never have to fight all three.

I'm not playing this full time yet because I still have things to do in Bloodborne, but I played a little bit yesterday.
It's hard to go back after the quickness of Bloodborne I gotta say :D Also stamina consumption is a real problem too here, hard to adjust back.

I played DS2 one month ago and going back to a starting level character makes such an enormous difference.
It really feels as if my last play session only was a dream.

Gonna be fun <3

I think they changed that blood screen filter effect during boss intro cutscenes to only last a few seconds rather than the entire thing.

tuna_love

Banned
The two on the aide hang back until you kill the middle one

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Seems like people really go out of their way to make DS2 look bad at times.

I'm starting to feel like a one man dark souls defence force, but I honestly don't see a huge deal about some of these changes, and it seems like some people just exaggerate things, which then spread through the community

polychron

I most feel like I've had a good time with this so far, but I'd like to say that with the caveat that the Iron Keep is just not fun. Way too many swordsmen agro on you at once and it's just plain Annoyig to deal with. I nearly quit in frustration trying to get to the smelter demon, let alone trying to beat him.

Novocaine

The upgrade from PS3 to PS4 is so worth it. Man it looks pretty.

It feels a lot harder too so far, but that's probably because the new enemy locations are messing me up.

Mogwai

The upgrade from PS3 to PS4 is so worth it. Man it looks pretty.

It feels a lot harder too so far, but that's probably because the new enemy locations are messing me up.
I've played through DS2 quite some times and the new placements of enemies is more difficult. At least that's my experience up until Lost Bastille.

dissa9

Neo Member
I'm getting completely owned by the Pursuer, talking 30 to 40 attempts. This feels much harder than Demons, Dark 1 & Bloodborne. Only O&S and 4 Kings during my one bro run gave me anything like this kind of trouble.

He just destroys me in one or two hits, tried parrying, tried the ballista, tried dodging. Main issue being its nearly impossible to line him up for the ballista, the one time I did get the shot off was the closest I've come to killing the fucker.

I may have to come back later in the game but my pride is telling me I have to beat him now.

prudislav

I guess i am only one who like the new enemy placements , it feels more alive and for example Heide knights are actually in Heide or Pursuer acrually pursuing ;-)
Only in IK they went bit overboard but its not really that bad, some pople just oveexagerate it as i never aggroed that much guys like on some screens without stupidly running around

tuna_love

Banned
I'm getting completely owned by the Persuer, talking 30 to 40 attempts. This feels much harder than Demons, Dark 1 & Bloodborne. Only O&S and 4 Kings during my one bro run gave me anything like this kind of trouble.

He just destroys me in one or two hits, tried parrying, tried the bastilla, tried dodging. Main issue being its nearly impossible to line him up for the bastilla, the one time I did get the shot off was the closest I've come to killing the fucker.

I may have to come back later in the game but my pride is telling me I have to beat him now.
If you just stuck to his left he can't even hit you

dissa9

Neo Member
If you just stuck to his left he can't even hit you

Ha ha, that's probably the only strategy I haven't tried, I've tried straffing right and he can definitely hit me. I'll give it a go!

One of the issues is I've been beaten that many times my health is at 50% and have no more effigies so one mistake = death.

idonteven

I'm getting completely owned by the Persuer, talking 30 to 40 attempts. This feels much harder than Demons, Dark 1 & Bloodborne. Only O&S and 4 Kings during my one bro run gave me anything like this kind of trouble.

He just destroys me in one or two hits, tried parrying, tried the bastilla, tried dodging. Main issue being its nearly impossible to line him up for the bastilla, the one time I did get the shot off was the closest I've come to killing the fucker.

killed that boss after like 10 times getting rekt ,found it harder than any boss in bloodborne lol

lol, I guess it makes farming their weapons quicker!

Exactly, easy prey if you ask me!

I havent even played Dark Souls 2 Standard lol, they look exactly like the Black Knights from DS1... if they are the same one should be able to parry/riposte all of them? Or are they different?

Braag

Some of the NPCs have been moved to slighty different locations.
Gavlan wasn't in his original spot at No Mans Warf D:
I think Lucatiel was moved as well from his original bonfire spot.

takriel

There are quite a few places in the mid-game that are just not fun to play through. Shaded Woods, Iron Keep, the windmill area, Brightstone Cove Tseldora, even Doors of Pharos has a lot of wasted potential. And with the new enemy placements, which essentially means more enemies that you have to fight at once, these places are even less fun to play through.

I really hope this team can step up their game big time for DkS 3.

Top Bottom