• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Ratrat

I'm getting completely owned by the Persuer, talking 30 to 40 attempts. This feels much harder than Demons, Dark 1 & Bloodborne. Only O&S and 4 Kings during my one bro run gave me anything like this kind of trouble.

He just destroys me in one or two hits, tried parrying, tried the bastilla, tried dodging. Main issue being its nearly impossible to line him up for the bastilla, the one time I did get the shot off was the closest I've come to killing the fucker.

I may have to come back later in the game but my pride is telling me I have to beat him now.
Parry him right in front of the ballista. I did this and was able to get two shots in succession and downed him in one go.

Gator86

Man, you guys are really discouraging me from buying it.

This is basically how I feel now too. I was considering renting this having only beaten the main game and never seeing any of the DLC but it sounds like they haven't done anything to fix the game's flaws and have doubled down on them in some cases.

eot

Banned
Jesus Christ.

16819815497_fb1f1bdb95_o.png

Fucking hell, those guys are even more annyoing than the infinite stamina mace guys. Too bad they patched out the binoboost, that was the best way to go through that area.

takriel

This is basically how I feel now too. I was considering renting this having only beaten the main game and never seeing any of the DLC but it sounds like they haven't done anything to fix the game's flaws and have doubled down on them in some cases.

The DLC's are arguably the best parts of the game though, so you might want to give them a go.

But the majority of the base game is nothing special, and gets even more tedious at times now.

def sim

I just picked up the Metro duo pack as a pallet cleanser but plan on picking it up in the near future

Cool! Those are fun, too. Enjoy duder.

For what it's worth I never had any of those guys aggro on me at all, basically each area wherever they are standing they kneel and wait for you to fight the stone golem or knight or whatever. Once you kill it they stand up and let you pass. I believe if you run through they aggro on you. It was not much of a problem at all..... No idea if they aggro on you if you kill the ancient dragon, but then again why would you run backup that staircase if you had....

Hm good to know

Hypron

Exactly, easy prey if you ask me!

I havent even played Dark Souls 2 Standard lol, they look exactly like the Black Knights from DS1... if they are the same one should be able to parry/riposte all of them? Or are they different?

They are a lot harder than the Black Knights, they are super fast and do tons of damage. They also behave closer to NPC invaders than normal monsters. They dodge and use stuff like jump attacks.

NBtoaster

No, they've actually removed a lot of a lot of sources of frustration in other parts of the game. Some changes are questionable but most are for the better.

eg.

Sinners Rise:
the archers that aggroed on to you when you respawned have been removed
Amana:
Much less frustrating placement of ladies leading to the third bonfire. Was able to clear it all without cheaping out with a bow.
Undead Crypt:
the path to the boss isn't just a wall of knights, and there are more consequences for lighting up the place

Uppermost level of Tseldora was interesting. Instead of a camp of disorientated farmers, there's a
ton of falconer soldiers, as well as a mimic. I killed the mimic but was ganked before I could get to it again, what did I miss?

And I wish all those "aw shucks, guess I'm not playing this" people could choose to listen to those who really enjoy the new challenge.

KainXVIII

I hate that damage hits above hp bar don't scales with resolution, with Nvidia DSR (and GeDoSaTo in dx9 version) on high resolution its too small! Maybe there is solution for this?
Downscale from 1620p
uasb.png

720p
yasb.png

After fighting the Pthumerian descendant who throws his boomerangs through the fucking walls I don't want to hear about this ds2 hitbox nonsense anymore. That shit was way more infuriating than anything I've experienced in 150 hrs of DS2. A team my ass.
Edit: Misread, but yeah. Bloodborne proves "A" and "B" have problems with clipping.

Ozz1m

Neo Member
I actually love the fact that
the pursuer is seems to be actually trying to hunt you down, I've faced this mofo 4 times already!!!

But yeah Heide's tower is gunna suck
especially going through to the dragonslayer

Jesus Christ.

16819815497_fb1f1bdb95_o.png

I'd like to clarify that all these guys are friendly to the player unless attacked. Taking the
Petrified Egg
doesn't aggro them either. Jury's out on whether aggroing the
Ancient Dragon
aggros everyone else. Willing to bet it does, but I've killed that fucker once and I'm not stupid enough to try it again.

Mogwai

I'd like to clarify that all these guys are friendly to the player unless attacked. Taking the
Petrified Egg
doesn't aggro them either. Jury's out on whether aggroing the
Ancient Dragon
aggros everyone else. Willing to bet it does, but I've killed that fucker once and I'm not stupid enough to try it again.
That makes a quite big difference from he original.

After fighting the Pthumerian descendant who throws his boomerangs through the fucking walls I don't want to hear about this ds2 hitbox nonsense anymore. That shit was way more infuriating than anything I've experienced in 150 hrs of DS2. A team my ass.

The other games maybe have a handful of examples like that, not enough to actually be a negative point. Here it's almost constant.

I feel like this is another thing that only comes up at 60 fps. Never felt this way with my initial playthorughs on PS4.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I never did Lucatiel's quest in vanilla, just found her in Bastille so what bosses do we have to summon her at for the quest again?

edit: whats up with the new random statues blocking doors? theres 1 in bastille...thats so random, are there like a million of the item to free them now? I know the old woman sold one for 12k

def sim

The other games maybe have a handful of examples like that, not enough to actually be a negative point. Here it's almost constant.

I feel like this is another thing that only comes up at 60 fps. Never felt this way with my initial playthorughs on PS4.

Hey, you know your adaptability stat? I'd like to know if it's actually a hitbox issue or a low invincibility frame issue.

Corpekata

Banned
Someone needs to save all the whiny reactions to that picture that keep ignoring the context multiple people have provided for it already.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Someone needs to save all the whiny reactions to that picture that keep ignoring the context multiple people have provided for it already.

Hold your head up high and remember that one day this thread will find peace in the Community section :p

Dot50Cal

Banned
Im so close to buying this, I didn't get very far in 2 on PS3.

What are the chances I could play without a shield and not face a ton of frustration? I'd love to wield some huge 2 hander but I only ever made it far in DS1 by using a spear and a shield.

Any thoughts? Is a 2 hander viable? What sort of stats should I go for?

I basically want to play as Guts from Berserk

Hypron

What are the chances I could play without a shield and not face a ton of frustration? I'd love to wield some huge 2 hander but I only ever made it far in DS1 by using a spear and a shield.

Yeah it's definitely viable (in vanilla at least). I play both my normal (by choice) and SL1 (by necessity) characters that way and it works well. It does make some bosses a bit harder though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Its viable, but how frustrating it will be will depend a fair bit on skill. You need to be pretty good to play without a shield.

I've been running around poking things with a claymore and not using my shield except to parry. I'd say it's more than viable (still) to grab the biggest sword you can find and slam some chumps into the floor (though I'd recommend keeping a faster, smaller weapon around for backup.). As for stats, you'll want to get VIT(carry weight) and ADP(roll i-frames) up early so you can dodge better. After that, dump into STR, END, VIT, and VGR and you oughtta have smooth sailing. Well, as smooth as Dark Souls ever goes, anyways.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is it essentially kill them before they can kill you at that point rather than being tactical?
Not necessarily, though that can certainly be a good strategy in certain situations.

I think it comes down to having to learn the enemy's attacks better than you would otherwise. You need to learn the wind-up animations better, and you need to know exactly how to get out of the way of an attack, where before you might have just ate it with a shield and not really 'learned' a whole lot.

ghostjoke

Banned
Nothing in Dark Souls 2 is more bullshit unfair than the archers in Anor Londo

I don't know. I just don't see it. None of my deaths so far I've felt have been due to "bullshit".

I never understood the problem with those, parry arrow, kick off, done and dusted. I died once when I was grasping the situation. The closet to the issues I'm having in DS2 were in the forest, on way to
Sif
, when you could end up getting swamped by enemies that were difficult to see because you were too busy dealing with other enemies. I managed to get my hands on Bloodbourne and now it feels like DS2 was a tech demo for some of the systems of BB but without the means to counterbalanced large group fights. God damn that wharf is a clusterfuck. But maybe it's doing something right (halbert has helped) because I've now put in 8 hrs (then again I also put in 30 hours in FF XIII and DA:I) but at the very least these bosses better start becoming more interesting and difficult, they barely qualify as a DS1 mini-boss.

eot

Banned
I've been running around poking things with a claymore and not using my shield except to parry. I'd say it's more than viable (still) to grab the biggest sword you can find and slam some chumps into the floor (though I'd recommend keeping a faster, smaller weapon around for backup.). As for stats, you'll want to get VIT(carry weight) and ADP(roll i-frames) up early so you can dodge better. After that, dump into STR, END, VIT, and VGR and you oughtta have smooth sailing. Well, as smooth as Dark Souls ever goes, anyways.

I thought you could parry even when 2-handing in DkSII

Seanspeed

Banned
I never understood the problem with those, parry arrow, kick off, done and dusted. I died once when I was grasping the situation.
I got through there like 2nd time in my first playthrough. Next playthrough, I died like 25 times trying to do it.

I also beat the Capra Demon my very first time. Doesn't always mean it doesn't have some level of cheapness to it.

I thought you could parry even when 2-handing in DkSII

You can, but how well it works depends on the weapon. Big fuck-off greatswords have a parry animation with a wind-up so long you have to begin your parry before even installing the game to actually land it. Stuff like curved swords and rapiers have parry frames better than most shields; only small shields (in my opinion) are better.

Top Bottom