• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Zornack

Am I the only person who didn't have constant weapon issues in DS2? Yeah, my weapons would break, but I'd just use a backup and once getting to the castle I'd buy a bunch of repair powder.

Neoweee

There are some pretty great changes that don't just constitute as enemy placement:

Examples in the "G*****":

Full visible Aurous set

More sconces

Fewer poison spitter statutes

An NPC invader that only spawns after you fully light the zone, that drops a full set.

They did some good work. The zone looks nice.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There are some pretty great changes that don't just constitute as enemy placement:

Full visible Aurous set

More sconces

An NPC invader that only spawns after you fully light the zone, that drops a full set.

They did some good work. The zone looks nice.

the...what? the game is 2 years old man, im pretty sure you can say zone names, especially when you are going to spoiler tag stuff in them anyway

Gbraga

I'm not planning to buy the upgrade because I find the vanilla game to be shit.

But did they fix the AI for the NPC like Lucatiel?

Do enemies still aggro all at once instead how it is in Dark Souls and Bloodborne?

Is the hitreg still bad in PvP?

Not sure what you mean

Yes, even worse now

Didn't play PVP.

gelf

Am I the only person who didn't have constant weapon issues in DS2? Yeah, my weapons would break, but I'd just use a backup and once getting to the castle I'd buy a bunch of repair powder.
That's what I did, I thought it was intended behaviour. What would be the point of weapon degradation if you you could make it to every bonfire without them breaking. And with the abundant bonfires that really didn't happen in many locations anyway.

Tecl0n

In the early areas i have to say that i'm not liking the changes to enemy placement, it seems they have prioritized ganking which is not a good way to up the difficulty. I mean, i'm blazing through cause i've already played a lot the original release but i can see its unfairness to new players.

Thank god for that though.

MegaPanda

Does the enemy/item placement address any issues from the vanilla version? My biggest issue with the game was getting zerg rushed all the time. Just wondering if its worth getting this if I haven't beat the PC version yet (stopped after Lost Sinner).

Beepos

Going pure sorc. Still rocking a dagger 5 hours in to finish off wounded enemies. It can be hard using up all your arrows, only to realise during the boss fight you'll have to go head on with the dagger. Good times.

Zambatoh

Jesus Christ.

16819815497_fb1f1bdb95_o.png

HolyMotherOfGod.gif

Am I counting that right? 10 freaking Knights at once?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There are plenty if first time players here. Part of the joy of the game is exploration.

Sure but he's already spoiler tagging the info, why not spoiler tag the zone name instead of using ******

Jito

Banned
We're seriously spoiler tagging something as vague as gutter in this thread?

=

I don't think it's fair to assume everyone wants to know the name of areas in the game.

Don't take that away from people and potentially ruin something for them. I love finding out the names of areas in souls games. First it starts with area names, then it's enemies, bosses, weapons and items.

Sorry guys but I'm pretty sure durability is working as intended. People went from never ever having weapons break to actually having to keep an eye on them, which is entirely the point. Just be smart about switching weapons in and out and don't let them fully break before going to a bonfire. I played through all of DaS2 on pc before without it being an issue and it's not an issue in SotFS so far.

Sorry guys but I'm pretty sure durability is working as intended. People went from never ever having weapons break to actually having to keep an eye on them, which is entirely the point. Just be smart about switching weapons in and out and don't let them fully break before going to a bonfire. I played through all of DaS2 on pc before without it being an issue and it's not an issue in SotFS so far.

Pretty sure it's not because it has been explained already why it's broken. "It's not a problem for me" doesn't mean it's not an issue.

Pretty sure it's not because it has been explained already why it's broken. "It's not a problem for me" doesn't mean it's not an issue.

I'll agree hitting walls and dead bodies and losing durability isn't right, but it seems to me many are complaining that their weapons are actually breaking, period. When they are used to steam rolling everything with 1 weapon and never having to glance at durability between bonfires. There's a happy middle ground some where :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Okay, that's fucking hilarious.

I don't think it's fair to assume everyone wants to know the name of areas in the game.

Don't take that away from people and potentially ruin something for them. I love finding out the names of areas in souls games. First it starts with area names, then it's enemies, bosses, weapons and items.

Agreed, it was standard praxis when DS1 was ported to PC and the DS2 OT as well iirc. It does no harm to spoilertag names anyway, might as well do it. I know a lot of people held out on the game in the hopes of a next gen port and here we are.

The AI for the NPC you summon are usually bad and don't attack even when locking on to an enemy.

Meanwhile NPC invaders just got better smarter and trickier as the DLC's went on, I hear the newly added ones in SotFS are smart too. I mean
Maldron the Assassin
is the biggest troll ever and has really funny/clever troll tactics :lol

Jito

Banned

Same man, I played through Ds2 on PC at 60 FPS using a rapier and never found it an issue. I guess the people hitting walls all the time need to git gud ;)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Same man, I played through Ds2 on PC at 60 FPS using a rapier and never found it an issue. I guess the people hitting walls all the time need to git gud ;)

I use Katanas and rarely have an issue, went through the Iron King DLC and had it break once. Luckily I had a backup +8 katana.

Which reminds me, regarding the
recoloured, cool as hell weapons found in the Majula chest, are they in the re-release? I want my white handle Blacksteel Katana, and that bluemoon broadsword was dope as hell

addyb

Bought this on psn last night. Not played it yet as I'm still on bloodborne. Looking forward to it though. Finished demons and dark a couple of times apiece but never played this when first released as my mum was terminally ill at the time and gaming took an obvious backseat. So here I am pondering whether to finish BB first or at least get my character etc all setup on this at the very least. I have seen some of the game. Literally the opening and then Majula when I watched a friend briefly on his pc.

Landford

Banned
Coming from the PS3 version, hell yes. I would have bought it just for the 1080p and 60 fps, but getting a vastly remixed experience is great.

I played it on PC, having a really hard time justifying the money :/ Oh well, since i cant play Bloodborne, may as well bite it.

Jito

Banned
I use Katanas and rarely have an issue, went through the Iron King DLC and had it break once. Luckily I had a backup +8 katana.

Which reminds me, regarding the
recoloured, cool as hell weapons found in the Majula chest, are they in the re-release? I want my white handle Blacksteel Katana, and that bluemoon broadsword was dope as hell

I assume
they've worked those weapons into the DLC now. Did they just appear in a chest in Majula? I can't really remember.

Neff

I remember the parry being a lot harder in vanilla Dark II than either Dark I or Demon's, to the point where I rarely used it at all, and it feels more forgiving like those games did in this version. Which is good, because I need to save on as many weapon swipes as I can.

levyjl1988

Banned
I would like to know if dragon fire from dragons still clip through the rock walls in Dragon Aerie. Died too many times from that BS and it doesn't make sense. I'm out if that's still broken.

I'm still pissed about them keeping the blood pulses during the boss cinematics. Worst decision ever. They never had such stupid crap in Dark Souls 1.

gelf

I'll agree hitting walls and dead bodies and losing durability isn't right, but it seems to me many are complaining that their weapons are actually breaking, period. When they are used to steam rolling everything with 1 weapon and never having to glance at durability between bonfires. There's a happy middle ground some where :p
Dead bodies should have been fixed but slamming a sword against a wall should have a durability penalty I think. I agree there's nothing wrong with not being able to make it to a bonfire with just one weapon in places. I always had a second on standby.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Does this version still have the stat upgrades where it is more efficient to flip flop between two different stats (for instance endurance and adaptability) to get more gains? I remember that being a thing in the original, where doing that you would end up with higher stats than if you were to just dump points into either of those all at once, even if it ended up being the same amount of points.

Huh. I put hundreds of hours into Dark 2 and never heard of this. Any documentation of this on a wiki or somewhere?

Landford

Banned
So just to clarify, the dx9 is just dark souls 2 right? All PC editions of scholar are dx11?

Theres is a dx9 and dx11 version of DSII for PC. They are separate games (Even in the steam library)

Edit: Even the "Standard" dx9 version of DSII gets the new content and npc, but not the DX11 upgrade or the new enemy placements.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Compared to DX9 DS2, does the DX11 version require a much better machine? Or are the requirements pretty much the same?

Meneses

The durability thing is not just when hitting bodies and walls. It goes down faster when normally hitting enemies.

Maybe it's a more noticeable problem with starting weapons - my broadsword would get at risk super fast - and maybe only certain weapons are affected? No clue.

In any case, as the game progresses and I become stronger / have stronger weapons I haven't noticed the issue as much, it becomes more similar to the previous gen version, where it was indeed intended to have more than one combat-ready weapon.

I don't know if only certain weapons are "broken", or certain enemies, or zones, or whatever, but the difference is there. It shouldn't stop people from playing, though, because at least for me the problem became much less noticeable (well, at least so far, I haven't played that much yet).

Ketch

Am I really going to rebuy this game on PC? I never beat it the first time around, felt really inferior to DS1... It's really sinisterly smart to release this after bloodbourne considering it's the only PC alternative atm.

Actually... I might prefer to get lords of the fallen...

Carlius

Banned
does Dragon Aerie look any different? anything close to pre release lighting? that part in the trailer was awesome with all the shadows and wind.

Top Bottom