• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

duck_sauce

Somehow every summon i try to get ends in "Plaer can not enter your multiplayer session". I get summoned quite easily, but no player is able to enter my world......

...does anybody have the same problem? Is this a known bug or am i doing something wrong?

PS4, cross region is activated.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will stream later on guys!

DeaviL

Banned
For a moment i actually started to think the durability was worse...
Then i saw that my weapon only had 20, hehe.

Enemy placement isn't necessarily harder, the game does have a lot more tricks up it's sleeve now.
Some improvements found here and there as well, definitely definite.

Tarkus

Whats a good offensive/defensive weapon to play pve/pvp with, that fits really good with a pyromancy build?
Fire infused Black Knight Greatsword. Just use the one-hand moveset. That frees up your flame hand. The two-hand moveset blows.

Flame, dear flameeeee...

Anyway, the increased summons have really helped easing things out as I build my character. Loads of neat bits here and there like the guys I summoned to go through the last part towards the Iron King (and then they rekt the guy while I watched from the distance, lol... yeah, until I got hit by one of his swings and my character flew to the border of the one and single lava pit/trap there!)

So far I did in 13 hours what initially took me over 60! I've already reached Drangleic, ready to face the last batch of bosses and then it's going to be the DLCs to get the treasures and into NG+ and then NG++ for the 100%. Because why no, I 100%'d Dark Souls on GFWL, Steamworks, Dark Souls 2 vanilla so why not adding a 4th 100%.

So what was that about being able to champion Belfry Luna more easily? I'm having a horrid time with Belfry Sol. God damn you all, bellbros... :(

edit:

I'm also having a hard time carrying the super-heavy armors+obnoxiously big swords I used to (which let me roll with the normal animation, not the fat roll). I got the ring that increases equip load but still can't even use the Alonne set without entering fat roll animations. I think I'm missing something or did they also change general armor weight? Flippin' Havels used to be common as well so I guess that's over.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Streaming in approx one hour! First hours of the game with mic and webcam. Sorry for spam!

www.twitch.com/yoshichan

Carlius

Banned
I've noticed some small summon signs that weren't present in the original game.

they were..they are shades. shades are 5 minute summons, small area summons. you kill enough enemies and the other player iwll return to his/her world. its an easy way to help someone with an area without committing to the full summon.

Man it really is a shame you cant specify the original game when playing this version.

I'd love to play this on PS4 with graphical and framerate improvements, but I dont want the higher difficulty of scholar since I found the original game hard enough as it is.

Yoshichan

I'm TERRIBLY sorry for the false alarm guys, but I won't be streaming today! Something showed up and I'll have to "fix" my issue first...

Once again, I'm really sorry.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have a progression question - I've beaten L
ast
G
iant
and P
ursuer
in FoFG and feel like I've fully explored this area. Is there anything else I should do here? Or is it time to move to another area? The only other location I think I have access to is a path from Majula that ends in a gate blocked by a statue, but I don't think I can get through yet.

Edit: Yoshi you suck. :p

ast
G
iant
and P
ursuer
in FoFG and feel like I've fully explored this area. Is there anything else I should do here? Or is it time to move to another area? The only other location I think I have access to is a path from Majula that ends in a gate blocked by a statue, but I don't think I can get through yet.

You can still explore to check out if you missed anything (for example, the Pharros contraption you can activate past the room with the four ballistas and the gank squad, next to that asshat Pate or the Drangleic armor, which is quite good and will carry you for a while) but other than that I think you are ready to move on to Heide or the Lost Bastille or even opening up the path to Shaded Ruins if you have a fragrant branch of yore. You will have to revisit the Forest later on down the line so perhaps you can go back much stronger and explore much easily then, especially the salamanders pit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You can still explore to check out if you missed anything (for example, the Pharros contraption you can activate past the room with the four ballistas and the gank squad, next to that asshat Pate or the Drangleic armor, which is quite good and will carry you for a while) but other than that I think you are ready to move on to Heide or the Lost Bastille or even opening up the path to Shaded Ruins if you have a fragrant branch of yore. You will have to revisit the Forest later on down the line so perhaps you can go back much stronger and explore much easily then, especially the salamanders pit.

OK yeah I did a bit of exploring down the super dark hallway and got ambushed by four turtle soldiers and Armorer Dennis and got wrecked. So maybe I'll give that a rest for now and go back later haha. I have the Drangleic armor which is awesome.

I guess I'll give Heide a try.

So, I'm thinking of buying this for PC with the 25€ upgrade (I don't have any DLC), and I am a bit worried about performance.

Laptop: i7-4710HQ, 8 GB RAM, GTX 850M DDR3
Desktop: Phenom II X6 1055T, 4GB RAM, HD 5830

On my laptop I can run at 60 FPS if I have everything at medium (with textures on high) and on the desktop I can run at 60 with everything maxed out.

Can I expect similar performance or will I need to tone things down a bit?

derwalde

Somehow every summon i try to get ends in "Plaer can not enter your multiplayer session". I get summoned quite easily, but no player is able to enter my world......

...does anybody have the same problem? Is this a known bug or am i doing something wrong?

PS4, cross region is activated.

Oh god i have the same exact problem. I really thought my Internet is f...up.

I never had a weapon breaking in 150 hours of vanilla Dark Souls II or the 8~9 hours I played of Scholar of the First Sin.

Stop hitting dead bodies, I guess?

I'm not gonna defend how much durability you lose by hitting dead bodies, it's indeed absurd, but having weapons breaking is not really inevitable, it's still your fault.

And I played Dark II for the first time with katanas, they did shit damage/stagger compared to other weapons and had low durability.

Use the generous bonfire placement in your favor, time your attacks, use the ring that helps with durability. Carry a couple of repair powders with you just in case.

yeah, yeah blah blah. Defend it all you want but when this game is running at 60fps your weapons break twice as fast. It's broken and needs fixing.

addyb

OK yeah I did a bit of exploring down the super dark hallway and got ambushed by four turtle soldiers and Armorer Dennis and got wrecked. So maybe I'll give that a rest for now and go back later haha. I have the Drangleic armor which is awesome.

I guess I'll give Heide a try.

Where is this armour? I'm upto the boss in this area and haven't come across this.

Neoweee

ast
G
iant
and P
ursuer

There are several more zones out of Majula than that.

yeah, yeah blah blah. Defend it all you want but when this game is running at 60fps your weapons break twice as fast. It's broken and needs fixing.

They do not break twice as fast. That's a misrepresentation of what the issue is. The effective penalty for hitting corpses and walls is doubled, but it really isn't that difficult to not smash your weapon against walls.

Monster Zero

As far as visuals go, does everyone agree that DSII PC > DSSOFS PC. It's gonna be my first play through, and I'll take a better looking game over whatever DX11 brings, new enemy placements mean nothing to me.

Carlius

Banned
As far as visuals go, does everyone agree that DSII PC > DSSOFS PC. It's gonna be my first play through, and I'll take a better looking game over whatever DX11 brings, new enemy placements mean nothing to me.

i think scholar looks a lot better than vanilla ds2...modded ds2, no. but vanilla yes.

Havel

SOFS looks better.

ENBs are an aquired taste I guess, but comparing vanilla then SOFS is better.

wickfut

Banned
They do not break twice as fast. That's a misrepresentation of what the issue is.

Yes, they do.

The game is designed to work correctly at 30fps. When the game runs at 60fps it calls the weapon corrosion cycle twice - hence it breaks twice as fast and durability @ 60fps is half of what durability @30fps is.

Monster Zero

i think scholar looks a lot better than vanilla ds2...modded ds2, no. but vanilla yes.

SOFS looks better.

ENBs are an aquired taste I guess, but comparing vanilla then SOFS is better.

Cool, I'm new to PC so modding is a no go as for as durantes thing goes. I'll go with SOFS then. This game better be good. I always viewd DS as slow and plodding, but it seems like a tense environment.

Karamsoul

There are several more zones out of Majula than that.

They do not break twice as fast. That's a misrepresentation of what the issue is. The effective penalty for hitting corpses and walls is doubled, but it really isn't that difficult to not smash your weapon against walls.

Um no. They DO break twice as fast because of the doubling of the frame-rate. This is especially troubling since now there are more enemies to address that exacerbates the issue. Stop trying to defend an oversight as a meaninful gameplay element. FromSoftware needs to address this (and they will, probably by doubling the durability of player-owned weaps).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Where is this armour? I'm upto the boss in this area and haven't come across this.

Once you beat Pursuer (not the first time you come across him on that little platform thing, but in his boss arena where the ballistas are), if you go through to the next area you will see a hole in the ground where you can jump down and there's an item. That item is the Drangleic armor set. It's pretty solid, tanky armor, but you'll need to up your equip load if you want to be able to roll around with it.

Neoweee

Um no. They DO break twice as fast because of the doubling of the frame-rate. This is especially troubling since now there are more enemies to address that exacerbates the issue. Stop trying to defend an oversight as a meaninful gameplay element. FromSoftware needs to address this (and they will, probably by doubling the durability of player-owned weaps).

I am not defending the issue! I am correcting people that are saying "durability goes down twice as fast" because it doesn't. It averages out to some factor somewhere between 1 and 2, but 2 is the extreme, unattainably poor scenario that only applies if you are literally just hitting walls and not actually attacking enemies.

It makes a difference in how the game has to be played. Some players may see their durability decrease at a rate very similar to the 30 fps rate, while others will see it decrease much higher. But it is not a raw factor of two durability decrease applied to every hit.

ill say the same thing to you..yeah yeah, blah blah...use your weapon slots.

Again, you are making exuses for the issue. Why are people being such apologists?? I'm just not really in the mood to hear 'get better, adapt your playstyle, it's not a problem' apologist bullshit nonsense when it comes to this issue. how about instead of blaming the player, we all agree it is a bug that needs fixing. Why is this so hard for some of you obnoxious fucks?

Facism

they were..they are shades. shades are 5 minute summons, small area summons. you kill enough enemies and the other player iwll return to his/her world. its an easy way to help someone with an area without committing to the full summon.

not just that, the item you get from successfully helping a player can be traded with the crows for items. Much better than the token of fidelity in some cases. I used to use the small soapstone to help people with bosses all the time :)

addyb

Once you beat Pursuer (not the first time you come across him on that little platform thing, but in his boss arena where the ballistas are), if you go through to the next area you will see a hole in the ground where you can jump down and there's an item. That item is the Drangleic armor set. It's pretty solid, tanky armor, but you'll need to up your equip load if you want to be able to roll around with it.

Mmm I first came across him up the ladder behind turtle knight on a big platform and haven't seen him since. I've been round where those ballistas are.

Durante

Yes, they do.

The game is designed to work correctly at 30fps. When the game runs at 60fps it calls the weapon corrosion cycle twice - hence it breaks twice as fast and durability @ 60fps is half of what durability @30fps is.
Or the game is designed to work correctly at 60 FPS. At 30 FPS, weapons break only half as fast as intended, rendering the mechanic mostly useless.

Again, you are making exuses for the issue. Why are people being such apologists?? I'm just not really in the mood to hear 'get better, adapt your playstyle, it's not a problem' apologist bullshit nonsense when it comes to this issue. how about instead of blaming the player, we all agree it is a bug that needs fixing. Why is this so hard for some of you obnoxious fucks?
Yes, the fact that the weapon degeneration speed is framerate dependent is a bug and needs fixing.

Fixing so that it always works as it does for 60 FPS :p

acsn

Is it true that the DLC areas scale with your soul memory? I'm after losing so many souls in Earthen Peak and Iron Keep and from what I understand, souls you lose still count towards your soul memory.

addyb

In regards to the degradation thing. I started with a knight and found my broadsword degraded and broke real fast. Since then I've been using other swords and haven't had any issues with them in the forest. After the first bonfire part of the forest I've yet to get that message again. Is the broadsword crap durability anyway?

gogosox82

The durability thing has been making me think about play styles. I've read people in this thread say they haven't had an issue with weapons that always give me trouble. Like katanas, rapiers, and some of the great hammers for example. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I two hand most of my weapons and maybe the others who didn't have a problem do not? I recently started a new character and my estoc couldn't even make though No Man's before it was ready to break and I had to switch to the hand axe but I usually two hand my weapons so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. It would explain why others on the pc have no issue and I can barely get through an area like No man's (which doesn't even have that many enemies honestly) without having to change my weapon out.

Joey Ravn

Banned
An eventful Sunday afternoon so far.

I went to Heide's Tower of Flame and pulled a Hellkite with the new
dragon
there.
Around 20 something arrows and it was gone
. What was the point of putting it there in the first place if it could be killed so easily? I mean, sure: I could have gone and tried to killing it with melee. But this is Dark Souls, and you take every possibility you have to gain the upper hand. I farmed for a bit and got myself the chest armor of the
Heide Knights
. It looks pretty cool.

I then killed the boss there and unlocked the bonfire. Then retraced my steps and went back to
The Lost Bastille
. I freed
Straid
and proceeded to
Sinner's Rise
. Killed the boss there,
The Lost Sinner
, with a Sunbro summon, though I think I could have managed by myself, like the first time around. The boss is easy if you let
her
attack, then chip her health away with one or two hits, before going back to defensive mode. It's really not harder than fighting any regular enemy if you're careful.

I'm trying to increase my level now. I started with a pure melee build, but I decided to get some Pyromancies as a backup plan, so I bought some from the different vendors and started pumping up my Attunment until I got 2 slots. So far, that's all I need. I'm concentrating in Adaptability, for the iframes in the roll, and STR/VGR/etc. now.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Mmm I first came across him up the ladder behind turtle knight on a big platform and haven't seen him since. I've been round where those ballistas are.

Yeah if you kill him there then you won't face him in his "proper" boss arena. It's past the proper boss arena where you will find the armor.

You might be thinking of a small room that has 4 ballistas pointing towards the main entrance. That's not the boss arena I'm talking about. You get to the boss arena by unlocking a door in the room that has
a giant sword sticking out the side of the wall that you can run up.

Top Bottom