• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

addyb

K OG souls noob, but I just finished up with the Bloodborne story going to finish up my chalice dungeons and grab platinum on that first, but im going to jump in on this tomorrow and try out the original souls series. What build do you recommend to be able to play in a similar fashion to Bloodborne?

It's hard to play in a similar fashion. A lot of early aggressive play on this will get you smashed over and over.

Xeilyn

K OG souls noob, but I just finished up with the Bloodborne story going to finish up my chalice dungeons and grab platinum on that first, but im going to jump in on this tomorrow and try out the original souls series. What build do you recommend to be able to play in a similar fashion to Bloodborne?
The gameplay is much slower and you will get hit alot if you try to dodge the same way as in BB. But its perfectly viable to play without a shield atleast

Id go with a quality build in the beginning just because its so easy to try different weapons out, you can respec in DS2 so you cant really screw up

Mogwai

Holy shit.

I just reached
The Gutter
. Holy shit. This is the Dark Souls I like.

Yeah, I've started to like the area as well. Lighting those sconces is actually a bit of a test. The new lighting engine adds a whole freaking lot to the atmosphere.

Rising_Hei

Hard to tell, From usually takes lot of time to patch games by example the framerare issue on PS3 Dark Souls 1.

If the framerate is important I would go for the PS4 versión.

It doesn't have that framerate because it's poorly coded on ONE and coded properly on PS4, it got that result because they wanted to keep the resolution and visual features the same on both platfors when one is much weaker, the solution isn't a magical patch but make the resolution drop to 900p or something imo

Does the bullshit room in Drangelic Castle still exist where every door is a ruin sentinel and if you die you aggro all 6 of them

Passed through the whole of Drangleic Castle today and it felt a bit easier to me this time, pretty much plowed through it in one go (having a fully upgraded Greatsword and a Mastodon Halberd helps). That room has changed a little bit but I'd say it's essentially the same. It's smart to just open the door you need to go further and leave the rest for later if you want to.

Anyway, I'm finding the progression through the levels and story a bit more coherent this time, maybe it's just because I know what's going on but the new NPC also kinda hints at what you should be doing. The lack of some of the enemies feels weird though, does the
tough as fuck disfigured creature that was in the flooded halls before the Lost Sinner
appear anywhere now? Feels strange to just straight up discard an enemy type like that.

So what's the deal with the this DX11 version? I have the DX9 version and I just wrapped up the last primal bonfire (went back to DS2 because of the BB hype).

Is it worth getting this for the improvements/dlc even though I'm already into the 2nd half? Does the infamous durability bug exist exclusively in the DX11 version? And if I do buy it, does my save carry over? Do I have to keep the DX9 version installed for the DX11 one to "see" the cloud save?

So many questions...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh i might try that, i just run by them out of pure frustration, also any tips
against those white armored knights?

Those guys are a little tougher since they move quickly and unpredictably. I generally rely on my shield with them, but I do know that they usually will swing only 2-3 times before leaving themselves open for a few seconds. If you can dodge through their third attack towards their back you can probably get off a backstab.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Does it still has the infamous
graffiti
texture?

You mean the
Carlsberg label
? That's in the Grave of Saints.

So what's the deal with the this DX11 version? I have the DX9 version and I just wrapped up the last primal bonfire (went back to DS2 because of the BB hype).

Is it worth getting this for the improvements/dlc even though I'm already into the 2nd half? Does the infamous durability bug exist exclusively in the DX11 version? And if I do buy it, does my save carry over? Do I have to keep the DX9 version installed for the DX11 one to "see" the cloud save?

So many questions...

Durability is the same across the two PC versions, both run at the same framerate, the bulk of the complaints come from console players who got increased durability due to the lower framerate, so if it didn't bother you already, you should be fine.

So many questions...

First of all, your saves will NOT transfer, so keep that in mind.

That said, if you don't have the DLC already, the DX11 upgrade is absolutely worth it for the DLC alone ($30 upgrade vs $25 DX9 DLC) and I'm personally in the camp that really likes the changes to the main game. The durability thing exists on any 60fps version of the game (PC DX9, PC DX11, XBOne, PS4).

If you're cool with starting a new character, then you should absolutely pick it up.

Fitts

They were too frustrating before. I'd say Amana is even easier in this release too. And Dragon Shrine is much easier.

I'll give you Royal Rat Authority since it was basically re-skinned Sif without the cool sword shit and with a corrosive AOE and minions, but Lost Sinner was fine.

And that sucks to read about Amana and I don't recall there being anything difficult about Dragon Shrine.

Can someone point me to the story for this game. Who is the Scholar of the First Sin? I haven't played any of the Dark series, only DS and currently BB.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Fuck Belfry Luna and whoever thought that forced invasions were a nice thing. I just want to get this one weapon (the
Dragon Tooth
) that is at the very end of this rather large corridor. It's hard enough that I have to beat
three damned gargoyles
to get there. I don't need three asshole invaders ganking on me all the time.

You mean the
Carlsberg label
? That's in the Grave of Saints.

It's actually
Heineken
. The lore is as deep as it can get:
it was Smough's favorite beer, and it confirms that Drangleic was, once upon a time, the Netherlands

Also, fuck Belfry Luna.

Neoweee

I'll give you Royal Rat Authority since it was basically re-skinned Sif without the cool sword shit and with a corrosive AOE and minions, but Lost Sinner was fine.

And that sucks to read about Amana and I don't recall there being anything difficult about Dragon Shrine.

Most impressions are that Amana is now harder. Lots of moaning on Reddit over it.

Different strokes, I guess. Some things are harder, some easier, and a lot of more ambiguous changes

Can someone point me to the story for this game. Who is the Scholar of the First Sin? I haven't played any of the Dark series, only DS and currently BB.

Well, when (BIG OL' SPOILERS)
you fight him, his health bar says "Aldia, Scholar of the First Sin"
so I'm gonna go with that. As for who that is, you can do a bit of digging on your own, I think ;)

Vitor711

Does the bullshit room in Drangelic Castle still exist where every door is a ruin sentinel and if you die you aggro all 6 of them

Dude, you do not aggro all 6 of them if you're smart about it. I never had to fight more than two at a time - and when I had two on me, that was just because I screwed up.

Kill the enemies directly outside the door quickly, without leaving their area. Then walk into the 'closet' where the sentinels are, and leash them back to the entrance. Repeat 6 times.

You should not be fighting 6 at once unless you just have no spatial awareness and keep accidentally walking into aggro range. All of the enemies in that room are passive until you walk directly into their little zone.

Neoweee

Fuck Belfry Luna and whoever thought that forced invasions were a nice thing. I just want to get this one weapon (the
Dragon Tooth
) that is at the very end of this rather large corridor. It's hard enough that I have to beat
three damned gargoyles
to get there. I don't need three asshole invaders ganking on me all the time.

It's actually
Heineken
. The lore is as deep as it can get:
it was Smough's favorite beer, and it confirms that Drangleic was, once upon a time, the Netherlands

Also, fuck Belfry Luna.

Can't you burn an effigy at a bonfire to disable invasions for a while?

Takuan

Dark Souls was my personal GOTY last year and definitely an all-time favorite. I believe I started playing it sometime after DS2 had launched, but I can't be sure.

At any rate, I wasn't going to jump into DS2 until the equivalent of the P2D Edition came out, and here we are.

I started off with a Deprived this time around, since I felt more prepared having beaten the original. I've played for maybe 2-3 hours including character creation. Early thoughts from someone who has only ever played Dark Souls:

• Character creator was nice, more options than in DS and ability to make pretty good looking characters; female aesthetics are much improved
  • Assigning jump to LS Trigger is a little awkward, I think I preferred pressing dash after a sprint (maybe this is still an option)
  • Looks great as a package so far, despite being obviously dated; 60 FPS
  • Love the familiar sound effects
  • Extremely easy to reacclimate to controls and movement; haven't touched Dark Souls in maybe 8 months and was backstabbing/parrying in no time
  • Love the area designs I've seen so far (Majula, Tower of Flame, and Forest of Giants)
  • Love the ability to teleport between bonfires from the get-go
  • Why no club for my loin-clothed amazon? :(
Haven't played enough to comment on more, but I'm diggin' it. I already know the world design isn't what it was in Dark Souls, but so far I'm fine with it.

I own and enjoy both PS4 and XBO. I would prefer to play this on XBO, but apparently they framerate isn't as stable as PS4. Thoughts on if this will be patched so both versions will be similar?

Same problem I'm having.

I hate the dual shock 4 and I really want to play it on XB1, but I don't know how much of a difference the framerate will really make. More specifically, the drops in framerate that could affect gameplay.

It's definitely an issue and I would prefer a drop to 900, but I don't see it being fixed.

Someone a few pages back said to think of it this way. We just played Bloodborne which is 30. This can vary between 36 (at it's lowest) and 60 with it staying closer to 60. I might wait a few days and see, but I'm still leaning towards the XB1 version.

rybrad

For a shieldless build, is dual wielding the way to go or is 2 handing one weapon equally viable? It sounds like the power stance stuff makes for a really strong setup when dual wielding. Alternatively, I was thinking about trying out 2 handing a Katana but their durability looks pretty low.

I started as the swordsman and it has been really fun going through the beginning of the game with a totally different spec than I am used to. The only downside is it feels off until you get more adaptability. I dumped all of my points in it until I got to 20 which really helped the feel of the dodges.

how much harder is ng+ compared to bloodborne ng+ ? because i didnt notice a extreme huge difference in bloodborne

A bit actually. Bloodborne's NG+ doesn't seem to actually change the game much besides enemies getting more life and doing more damage. DS2 NG+ actually adds in more enemies and obstacles.

Neoweee

For a shieldless build, is dual wielding the way to go or is 2 handing one weapon equally viable? It sounds like the power stance stuff makes for a really strong setup when dual wielding. Alternatively, I was thinking about trying out 2 handing a Katana but their durability looks pretty low.

I started as the swordsman and it has been really fun going through the beginning of the game with a totally different spec than I am used to. The only downside is it feels off until you get more adaptability. I dumped all of my points in it until I got to 20 which really helped the feel of the dodges.

You can do both, really, even with the same build. Tapping Triangle enters power-stance with your right hand weapon, holding it power-stances your left hand weapon, but if your weapons are compatible and you have enough stats, holding triangle will instead enter dual wield mode. So you can just toggle back and forth freely as the situation calls for it.

rybrad

You can do both, really, even with the same build. Tapping Triangle enters power-stance with your right hand weapon, holding it power-stances your left hand weapon, but if your weapons are compatible and you have enough stats, holding triangle will instead enter dual wield mode. So you can just toggle back and forth freely as the situation calls for it.
Cool, thanks for the info, I don't have enough stats to dual weild powerstance yet so I haven't checked it out much. I guess the only real consideration then is weighing a stamina regen shield vs. another weapon.

Neoweee

Belfry Luna does not have a bonfire, and the nearest one only affects Sinner's Rise. The only other way is to go offline, clear the Gargoyles, and go back online.

Ah, that sucks. The effigy burns seemingly never work like you would want them to, like NG+ LGK.

carl32

Banned
Same problem I'm having.

I hate the dual shock 4 and I really want to play it on XB1, but I don't know how much of a difference the framerate will really make. More specifically, the drops in framerate that could affect gameplay.

It's definitely an issue and I would prefer a drop to 900, but I don't see it being fixed.

Someone a few pages back said to think of it this way. We just played Bloodborne which is 30. This can vary between 36 (at it's lowest) and 60 with it staying closer to 60. I might wait a few days and see, but I'm still leaning towards the XB1 version.
Same situation here but i went for XB1 in the end and after playing Bloodborne it feels silky smooth, i noticed frames dropping more in Bloodborne than XB1 DS2 and i'm enjoying it more than Bloodborne so i say just go for it.

Divius

5 hours in and I discover the tutorial area. lol.

Currently messing around at the Tower of Flames area. Looks amazing.

ironcreed

Banned
Is there not going to be a digital pre-order/pre-load for US PS4? No even a mention of it so close to release.

This is one game I figured they would have had up by now. The Xbox One version was up for pre-load weeks ago and that is where I went ahead and bought it. Even so, it is not going to be a huge download for you and you will get it tomorrow all the same.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is there not going to be a digital pre-order/pre-load for US PS4? No even a mention of it so close to release.

The PC version didn't have a pre-order and just popped up on Steam when the game launched, so it might be the same thing for PS4.

Anyway, I started playing this game in earnest on Friday and put in 12 hours over the weekend. That's a lot more than I was planning to play but the game is super fun (it's my first time playing DS2). I'll admit that most of that was spent doing co-op, where I'll put down a summon sign and help people beat an area/boss multiple times after I beat it myself. I like this system because playing through the same zone multiple times helped familiarize myself with the areas, so the next time I go through them it should be a lot easier.

The only area I didn't like so far was N
o
M
an's
W
harf
. It's dark, there's tons of enemies, a lot of arrows being shot at you from different directions, and it's so cramped that my weapons break constantly. Just started L
ost
B
astille
so hopefully it's more fun than NMW.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
So this has probably been asked a million times; I liked Bloodborne, will I like this?

I've got a PS3 not far away so I'm tempted to crack on with Demon's Souls which I got with PS+, or just get Dark Souls 1 which I hear is much better, but I'm also tempted to just get this with the extra content and better graphics and whatnot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the deal / wheel guy isnt in no mans wharf anymore? :(

I need to sell all this crap damn it

edit: nvm found him

Moosehole

I'm just speculating, but they probably didn't want to cannibalize Bloodborne. It will probably either be up at midnight, or when the store updates at GCT tomorrow.

This is one game I figured they would have had up by now. The Xbox One version was up for pre-load weeks ago and that is where I went ahead and bought it. Even so, it is not going to be a huge download for you and you will get it tomorrow all the same.
Well that's odd. But yeah still buying pre-order or not.
The PC version didn't have a pre-order and just popped up on Steam when the game launched, so it might be the same thing for PS4.
I figured that's what would happen. It's just weird. Even REmake HD got a pre-order/pre-load, and that's a remaster of a 12 year old game.
The only area I didn't like so far was No Man's Wharf. It's dark, there's tons of enemies, a lot of arrows being shot at you from different directions, and it's so cramped that my weapons break constantly. Just started Lost Bastille so hopefully it's more fun than NMW.
Went back and played Dsk2 on PC before BB release, and even my great sword was breaking in that area. Was hoping that they would up durability for SOTFS.

Sid

So this has probably been asked a million times; I liked Bloodborne, will I like this?

I've got a PS3 not far away so I'm tempted to crack on with Demon's Souls which I got with PS+, or just get Dark Souls 1 which I hear is much better, but I'm also tempted to just get this with the extra content and better graphics and whatnot.
I'd say so,you should start with Demon's and then go on from there

elhav

Yeah you should like it quite a lot. However I recommend starting with Demon's Souls. Untill you're done with Demon's souls, DS 2 might get a good price cut.

Actually just play it chronologically. All Souls games are good. Bloodborne was much more fast paced and aggressive. The Souls games will usually reaqire more defence.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say so,you should start with Demon's and then go on from there

Yeah, it makes sense to start from the beginning I suppose.

Yeah you should like it quite a lot. However I recommend starting with Demon's Souls. Untill you're done with Demon's souls, DS 2 might get a good price cut.

Actually just play it chronologically. All Souls games are good. Bloodborne was much more fast paced and aggressive. The Souls games will usually reaqire more defence.

OK I'll start with Demon's Souls, just hoping that the more defence-minded gameplay isn't too much of a turn-off.

Takuan

5 hours in and I discover the tutorial area. lol.

Currently messing around at the Tower of Flames area. Looks amazing.

Is that seriously a tutorial area? I ran around like a moron ducking those damned giant knights and picking up loose souls. There was a chest but a downed white knight was in front of it and wouldn't gtfo of the way; then I got attacked by one and high tailed it back to Majula. :lol

Top Bottom