• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

The quantity and variety of locations in this game never ceases to impress me and some of them are truly beautiful, the game doesn't get the credit it deserves for that.

ironcreed

Banned
The quantity and variety of locations in this game never ceases to impress me and some of them are truly beautiful, the game doesn't get the credit it deserves for that.

It's one of the things that stands out above the other games in the series for me. It always feels fresh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just beat
Ruin Sentinels
. Time to farm some titanite chunks. :3

where, I havent seen any yet :(

hopefully Ill start getting some in the poison zone, I always forget the name

They're probably the next hardest boss in the non-DLC game under Velstadt. If you did by yourself, you are an excellent player.

I would like to see someone take on the
Sentinels
themselves, no magic, no sploits.

At that point I believe that it would be something on the order of 80% luck to complete.

Wait,
Ruin Sentinels
are considered the hardest boss in the game by you guys? Maybe I overleveled....

Anyway, just figured out you can front-stab after hitting an enemy with a strong enough R2 attack. Made the Heide Knights much more manageable.

Neoweee

Sentinels

At that point I believe that it would be something on the order of 80% luck to complete.

I did in my first play through. I did them a bit later in the game though, after progressing several of the other main paths.

The game is far less linear than a lot of newer players realize.

squidyj

They're probably the next hardest boss in the non-DLC game under Velstadt. If you did by yourself, you are an excellent player.

I'll be impressed if you clear forest straight into bastille and immediately proceed to one-shot them.

Guys do you really have that much trouble? I made a promise to myself to never coop bosses (well, I offer myself to help others but I don't accept help) and I only break it to advance story shit. im sure I've soloed them a dozen times.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sentinels

It's not so bad when you realize you can fight them 1 at a time on the platform you start on.

I'm thinking about getting back into my PC copy of DS2, but I don't really want to mess around much with builds and stuff.

What's a simple, effective way I should be allocating my stats? I like to be able to roll well (one of the things that initially put me off about DS2 was how it was tied to one of the stats now) and usually stick with medium armor when I play.

I think the last character I was playing as I was mainly doing strength and using the starting club since i heard it has some of the best scaling.

Hugstable

Banned
Sentinels

I did it myself in the short time I played vanilla on PC with a dex character.

It's ridiculously tough though lol. Tired me out for awhile just from how hard it was.

I don't know what Bloodborne you are playing but I have shown it to people and they all walked away really impressed.

Some people are easily impressed. I honestly don't understand how anyone could think Bloodborne is anything special to look at. Must be those PS4 exclusive blinders.

Texture quality is pretty bad, character models are mediocre, weird shimmering and a lack of sharpness throughout the entire game. The only thing aspect of the graphics that occasionally looks like a PS4 exclusive is the lighting from time to time.

Just about every other PS4 exclusive looks better. There is no excuse. You're telling me that developers can make games that look like Killzone or Infamous and somehow Bloodborne is ok? Nope.

This is a weird comment. I would say Bloodborne looks really good. It has technical issues but the level detail, design and lighting effects make the game stand out, even among games that might be technically superior.

I would say that Bloodborne has 'good' graphics. I'm not someone who hated on DS II's graphics, although I would say that even without the extra horsepower of the PS4, the level design is still better quality than DS II's.

It's definitely better than DS2. No argument there at all.

Really? I always found them to be easy. I did it co-op this time, but I've done it solo multiple times. With an decently upgraded weapon it's not that bad.

3DShovel

Sentinels

Is the fight any different in the new version? Because I've beaten the
Sentinels
multiple times with a melee character in the vanilla game.

EDIT: Why are people trying to say that Bloodborne is not a gorgeous game? Get off of the PC master race bullshit, it looks great. The only thing wrong with the visuals is the lack of 60fps. Everything else is fine.

It's not so bad when you realize you can fight them 1 at a time on the platform you start on.

I believe you can only really kill that first one 1v1 at the beginning. After that the other two will engage you together and the limited space available on that platform makes fighting them both there a dicey proposition.

Also yeah, I beat the Sentinels on my 2nd try this most recent run with a dual wield character. Wasn't too bad.

MilkBeard

Wait,
Ruin Sentinels
are considered the hardest boss in the game by you guys? Maybe I overleveled....

Yeah, I never had trouble with the
Ruin Sentinels
. I beat them either first try, or second. Just locked on to one of them, walked in circles, stabbed when one got close. Dodge. Rinse, repeat.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure which boss in the game has given me much trouble. I think the
Old Iron King
did for a while because of the range of his hits, until I figured out the timing for dodging.

ike_

No, I really like this new auto screenshot for trophies stuff.

IlXtkbc.jpg

That it shows the image when you browse your trophy list is real cool too.

SRTtoZ

First few hours impressions:

Looks great, runs great on PS4. I love the lighting especially in dark areas with the torch.

I forgot how fun the slower paced shield (or non shield) combat was compared to Bloodborne. (I love Bloodbornes combat, just saying slower is different and still just as fun)

I feel like a god so far, maybe its because I'm fresh on the souls formula but so far I havent died even to the massive gank squads in the first few areas.

Love the fact that items are scattered around in different areas because exploration isnt a waste of time if you beat the vanilla version.

Durability bug or not, whatever it is, is still shit. I couldnt make it from the first bonfire in the FOFG to the 2nd bonfire without changing weapons. Still, I'm going into this open minded and I'm okay with it. I like that I have to try different weapons this time around, but still, its not a good feature to have in a game, period. Its weirdly stressful, every few enemies you look at that little red durability bar and start getting nervous, I fucking hate that.

So far its great, well worth the money, and you literally have about 100+ hours worth of content here with everything included.

newtonfb

Just popped it in my ps4 a few hours ago. Love it. Never played 2 but I was addicted to demons and dark souls 1. I have bloodborne also but I hate how it forces you to play fast and the limited options. I love having tons of weapons and armor to choose from in dark souls, OK I said my 2 cents now go back to playing

Tarkus

Well, concerning the Sentinels...a) you people are over-levelled when you battle them, b) you people are full of shit, c) ruin sentinels have been nerfed.

Regarding the ending, I'm not 100% clear on what to do.
I've beaten all of the vanilla sans the DLCs, met Aldia 3 times so all that's left for me to get the "bad" ending is to fight Nashandra and then Aldia right after her? The DLC areas don't influence the ending, right? Something like fighting Aldia while wearing the blessed King's Crown etc?
Played vanilla DS2, just wondering if there's something more to it at the end this time.

Yeah, I never had trouble with the
Ruin Sentinels
. I beat them either first try, or second. Just locked on to one of them, walked in circles, stabbed when one got close. Dodge. Rinse, repeat.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure which boss in the game has given me much trouble. I think the
Old Iron King
did for a while because of the range of his hits, until I figured out the timing for dodging.

Although I never really had trouble with the
Old Iron King (well besides that lava pit near the entrance, haha)
, I definitely noticed that slower attacks, even ones that are clearly telegraphed, throw me off sometimes. But, the
Ruin Sentinels'
attacks can easily be avoided by walking to the side or preemptively rolling behind them.

The only time I really struggle is when the boss has never-ending adds, but that's because I like to take risks and nuke the bosses/beat them as fast I can.

Sentinels

I've done this multiple times and I consider myself a pretty mediocre Souls player.

It's pretty easy when you realize they're weak to
Strike
weapons.

Kemal86

Not to pile on, but I didn't find Ruin Sentinels very hard either. You can easily kill the first one before the other two join in, then you just go slow, circle strafe, take a quick hit or two when you can. Eventually you'll get the second one down, and killing the last sentinel solo is no challenge at all.

where, I havent seen any yet :(

hopefully Ill start getting some in the poison zone, I always forget the name

It's down the ladder near the sentinel bondfire. If you have a Pharros Lockstone, you can open an area to a covenant. If you join it you'll be given a ring that will allow to invade the bell tower. Your reward for killing the host is a titanite chunk.

Kazuhira

Speaking of Ruin Sentinels,i was wondering if i could use the hidden rooms in the boss area as a cheap way to evade their attacks but nope,fucking fog walls won´t let me get inside the rooms.
They´re not that hard(even without summon) but i always fight them after completing No Man´s Wharf, so maybe i´m a little overleveled.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I was talking about texture quality and overall image quality. Both those things are mediocre in Bloodborne. It's not a game I would boot up to show someone the power of the PS4.

It's not pushing graphics in any way. Great art design is fantastic, but it obviously doesn't make a game look pleasing to the eyes when other major technical problems exists.

It's made even worse when you realize how small the areas in Bloodborne are. A more technically talented developer could have made Bloodborne look infinitely better with the same hardware.

It's not surprising to me. From Software has never made a graphically impressive game. Bloodborne is about what I would expect from them.

We are just going to disagree here.

MilkBeard

Well, concerning the Sentinels...a) you people are over-levelled when you battle them, b) you people are full of shit, c) ruin sentinels have been nerfed.

No, no, and no. My first playthrough was when the game first released. I wasn't overleveled, because my character level in comparison to the enemies of the area and other bosses seemed about right.

Seriously. Locked on to one, do the clockwise strafe and dodge their hits, then wait until one draws closer to you away from the pack. Pick them off that way, and they aren't hard. That is how I remember my strategy. I was a turtler too, so that shows that I really wasn't all that great of a player.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's down the ladder near the sentinel bondfire. If you have a Pharros Lockstone, you can open an area to a covenant. If you join it you'll be given a ring that will allow to invade the bell tower. Your reward for killing the host is a titanite chunk.

FUCK that I'm too shit for pvp :(

SRTtoZ

After playing BB, going to the inventory through the touch pad is weird.

Yea, it shows there are a few communication issues at From because the PS4 version should have been similar to Bloodborne at this point. Options opens the inventory/menu and the touchpad does gestures.

Tarkus

No, no, and no. My first playthrough was when the game first released. I wasn't overleveled, because my character level in comparison to the enemies of the area and other bosses seemed about right.

Seriously. Locked on to one, do the clockwise strafe and dodge their hits, then wait until one draws closer to you away from the pack. Pick them off that way, and they aren't hard. That is how I remember my strategy. I was a turtler too, so that shows that I really wasn't all that great of a player.
Nothing further.

MilkBeard

I decided to buckle down and get the digital PS4 version. I want to see the graphical upgrade and different placements for myself, as well as try a different build.

Was pretty psyched after going through Belfry Sol. I normally suck at PvP in this game yet somehow I got invaded 3 times one after another and actually won each fight. Double Ultra Greatswords is just too strong!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am also awful at this. Being deprived and not able to use anything I pick up is certainly not helping.

MilkBeard

I am also awful at this. Being deprived and not able to use anything I pick up is certainly not helping.

Yeah I chose Explorer on my first playthrough because of the high adaptability, but the other stats are low so I couldn't equip much at first besides knives and broken swords. The early goings through FotFG were really tough at that point.

I like Dark Souls 2 a lot more than Dark Souls 1. /shrug

DS2 is anything but a cash grab. The amount of content in this game is staggering, the combat mechanics and build diversity are better than DS1, and while I haven't finished the game I've read that no areas reach the lows that some DS1 areas do (Lost Izalith yuck).

It may have been a better game had Miyazaki been involved, but it's the farthest thing from a cash grab. It's a legitimate attempt to create a good sequel, and I think it succeeded for the most part. Plus every franchise needs to branch out from its original creator sooner or later. Resident Evil is no longer a Mikami game, BioShock is no longer a Levine game, and MGS will no longer be a Kojima game after MGSV (that last one really hurts, though).

Fantastic post!

I too was one of the skeptics until I put in the time with the original release. Now im fairly confident I prefer DS2 over 1... it's just a better game I feel.
Picking up my PS4 copy here shortly :)

SRTtoZ

Make sure you guys 2 hand your wep if you want to use something that your stats dont allow for. 2 handing I think requires less stats.

Top Bottom