• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
cfbalx.jpg

Had to restart a couple times to get my character just right. Spent a bit of time on her, but pretty damn happy with the result.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The durability issue was the reason I stopped playing on PC so I'm sad to see the PS4 version have the same degradation rate. Doesn't matter if it's a bug or not - it sucked and really turned me off from the game.

If they patch, which I doubt, I'll jump in again.

addyb

I'm dead serious, dude. Just cause you've got magical fingers that never fudge an extra swing when the target is dead doesn't mean it's not an issue. My freaking broadsword broke at the top of ladder from the first bonfire in Giant's Forest. The room that had the first Heide Knight is now full of enemies, and a single extra swing while fighting the ambush swarm broke the blade. Back in vanilla I had whips break instantly when fighting large enemies and using a multi-hitting attack.

I get durability. I understand the concept and the intended implementation, but the 60 fps thing is so clearly a technical booboo that I am boggled by people that claim otherwise. Either I'm completely naive about From's intention or you all are tripping balls.

Balls, gentlemen.

I had issues with it at the start. My broadsword went at risk not far into the forest but since then it's only popped up once with my falchion when I had reached those dark seekers on no man's wharf. Not a big issue now as I have at least 3 quality weapons I can call up when needed. I've also got a few of those repair items as well for backup.

Steel

Banned
I'm dead serious, dude. Just cause you've got magical fingers that never fudge an extra swing when the target is dead doesn't mean it's not an issue. My freaking broadsword broke at the top of ladder from the first bonfire in Giant's Forest. The room that had the first Heide Knight is now full of enemies, and a single extra swing while fighting the ambush swarm broke the blade. Back in vanilla I had whips break instantly when fighting large enemies and using a multi-hitting attack.

I get durability. I understand the concept and the intended implementation, but the 60 fps thing is so clearly a technical booboo that I am boggled by people that claim otherwise. Either I'm completely naive about From's intention or you all are tripping balls.

Balls, gentlemen.

Then you have weapons like the 2H falchion whose swing motion has it constantly hitting the ground(there's no way for it not to when in 2H) that makes it break insanely quickly. This bug is not a feature.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
as a Greatsword lover as some of you now know, its bumming me out how little it lasts. if its a bug its a shit one, if its intended its a shit...intention :p

doesnt make me want to stop but it sure is annoying. I even tried using repair powder, fucking thing only repairs like a third! (and it wasnt broken, just at risk)

Coconut

Banned
The durability issue was the reason I stopped playing on PC so I'm sad to see the PS4 version have the same degradation rate. Doesn't matter if it's a bug or not - it sucked and really turned me off from the game.

If they patch, which I doubt, I'll jump in again.

Good dammit! Really this is still a thing!?

UnrealEck

The fact that they haven't fixed the durability and other things shows they knew they could make a quick buck from a half-arsed 'remaster'. Especially in this era of remasters.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm in shock! They added an actual shortcut to the boss in
No Man's Wharf
! ;_;

About damn time.

just to be sure since I dont remember vanilla much, its that new
bridge you can push in the pier correct?

Rhaknar

Never played DSII. The durability issue you all speak of, what is it? Weapons break after a few hits?

yes. well, not like "I killed 3 enemies and mah weapon broke omg", but they go quite fast. There is a warning beforehand tho (weapon at risk or something), but yeah, you most likely need to use at least 2 different weapons if you are clearing zones

yes. well, not like "I killed 3 enemies and mah weapon broke omg", but they go quite fast. There is a warning beforehand tho (weapon at risk or something), but yeah, you most likely need to use at least 2 different weapons if you are clearing zones

Crap. That's deflating.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, I don't remember it being that bad when I played it on the PS3. Is it really that bad?
:(

To be clear: there's a bug (that's causing some debate) that causes rapid durability loss when an attack touches a dead body. This occurs only in 60fps versions of the game. Weapons that strike multiple times during an attack pretty much explode if you don't stop attacking at the right time. There are many instances where you fight multiple enemies, especially in the new version, so striking a dead body or three is very easy.

I'd have no issue with the durability balance if it wasn't for the dead bodies thing.

My experience so far:

- Get 1000 GS on 360 version of Dark Souls II within a week of release, consider self an advanced player
- Decide to try to get as far as possible in new version before unlocking "Died for the first time" achievement
- First visit to Majula, run from pigs, fall down pit, achievement unlocked
- Dark Souls

elhav

To be clear: there's a bug (that's causing some debate) that causes rapid durability loss when an attack touches a dead body. This occurs only in 60fps versions of the game. Weapons that strike multiple times during an attack pretty much explode if you don't stop attacking at the right time. There are many instances where you fight multiple enemies, especially in the new version, so striking a dead body or three is very easy.

I'd have no issue with the durability balance if it wasn't for the dead bodies thing.
Oh well that's a bummer. FROM are aware of this bug, right?

Neoweee

Oh well that's a bummer. FROM are aware of this bug, right?

Response from Namco was that it is intended, but we don't know if that is from From themselves.

Hitting a corpse or wall is still worse than a regular hit in the PS3 version, but it is twice as bad here.

Rhaknar

oh btw I forgot how cheaper levels are compared to Bloodborne. im like level...70 or something, and levels are still only 9k souls or something. Im sitting at 20 vig/vit/end and 40 str already.
Havel greatshield
needs 45 so I guess ill go for 50 str and then go back to pumping the other 3.

I guess if im going to be fat rolling anyway I dont need to worry about adapt correct?

Neoweee

oh btw I forgot how cheaper levels are compared to Bloodborne. im like level...70 or something, and levels are still only 9k souls or something. Im sitting at 20 vig/vit/end and 40 str already.
Havel greatshield
needs 45 so I guess ill go for 50 str and then go back to pumping the other 3.

Fun fact: Dark Souls 1 and BB have level tables copied directly from Demons Souls. Exactly.

Jobbs

Banned
Can't wait to play this. Bloodborne in all of its limited scope, streamlined everything, no items, no builds, has made me really itching to play an actual souls game.

kch

Holy shit how many pages of this thread is about the durability by now? Yeah some hate it others think it's fine and adapt. Maybe we could all leave it at that and talk about the game? Sorry for backseat modding but it's like beating a horse that's already buried.

Anyway.
This re-release really sparked my love for DS2. I did play the original for about 50h (PC) but it was on and off and the game nerver clicked with me the way DS did.
This time though, I'm hooked! The enemy placement changes are actually really nice thus far and dark areas being proper dark is a great change. Having to use a torch or just be extra careful in the dark is just what the game needed imo. Also, the Pursuer popping here and there..everywhere! Extra excitement all around. Granted I've only played about 5h of it so some changes further in might annoy the soul out of me (pun intended) but right now I'm loving it!

Well, damn. Killing one enemy in the Wharf took off like 30% of my weapons durability. Was one of the bigger enemies, and I'm using the greatsword. Needs fixing,yo.

elhav

Response from Namco was that it is intended, but we don't know if that is from From themselves.

Hitting a corpse or wall is still worse than a regular hit in the PS3 version, but it is twice as bad here.

Been around since the original PC release, so yeah. I'd imagine they've received a fan e-mail or two ;)
Now the game's become even more difficult, and not for the right reasons damnit...

Oh well, no hitting walls and bodies, gotcha.

It's not a freaking bug. The PC version was the lead version of Dark Souls II and it was always made for 60 fps (unlike DS1 which had to be modded to even run like that). I actually like it. I use a Bastard Sword, but I've started carrying a spare Flamberge for minor enemies, and I switch them around as needed. It makes for more variety than before and it's not a problem maintaining two weapons since the upgrade materials come in tiers. Once I'm done with large titanite for the BS, I upgrade the FB. And I only get near breaking when I'm doing really long runs anyway.

And now people are throwing around the "lazy port" argument? For FUCKS sake, people! This is anything but a lazy port. It's a complete remix with damn near every enemy encounter tweaked somehow and tons of items moved around and additional changes in most zones. Plus the DLC, plus the improved graphics. Get some damn perspective and try again!

Co-op is going smooth in the Wharf. Wish BB was this smooth in the co-op department. Now if only DsK2 would get rid of that silly soul memory stuff, and durability problem it would be perfect.

Well, damn. Killing one enemy in the Wharf took off like 30% of my weapons durability. Was one of the bigger enemies, and I'm using the greatsword. Needs fixing,yo.

How does this happen? I've been using Greatswords in my playthrough and I've never had them run out of durability.

Neoweee

i did not know that :D

guess it makes sense since there are more stats in ds2

More stats, much higher ending level, levels are more incremental. The net effect is that you're risking less "time" at any given moment before you get enough to spend on a level.

Rhaknar

peeps that remember vanilla well, theres A LOT more summon npcs this time around correct?

More stats, much higher ending level, levels are more incremental. The net effect is that you're risking less "time" at any given moment before you get enough to spend on a level.

and yet I run with my tail in between my legs back to majula everytime my souls hit double digits ;_;

Then you have weapons like the 2H falchion whose swing motion has it constantly hitting the ground(there's no way for it not to when in 2H) that makes it break insanely quickly. This bug is not a feature.

You people are delusional.

From has given us the opportunity, no, the privilege, of experiencing the world's foremost foam Nerf sword melee simulator and you think it's a bug? Git gud, gentlemen.

Dimmle

If you're frustrated with weapon durability, switch to dual caestus and never have that problem again

unfortunately you will be wielding dual caestus

JerkShep

Almost cleared the pre-Drangleic Castle part and I like it but I wouldn't say the changes are worth the full price of admission, even if admittedly some make the game flow better. The changes in enemy placement seem a bit arbitrary, they seem perfectly achievable on old gen consoles (sometimes the vanilla version even had more and bigger enemies on screen at the same time, in Shaded Woods for example). They mix things up but it's more a "master quest" version than a "this was what we had intended all along" version. I had the game on PS3 and the graphic upgrade is nice but nothing mind-blowing, the framerate and loading times are definitely the highlights for me.

I don't get people raging at Iron Keep, it seems mostly the same if we're talking about enemy numbers. Some of the Alonne Knights are in different positions, that's it, but all things considered it might even be easier.

Rhaknar

the lack of those
annoying big guys in the water up to lost sinner
was a nice surprise, fuck those guys

there is just 1 of the
no mans wharf boss
there instead

How does this happen? I've been using Greatswords in my playthrough and I've never had them run out of durability.

I just notice it when I was summoned. Swung 2 times and noticed my durability disappeared. Never seen that happen before. Guess I was hitting the floor or another body on the ground. Still shouldn't happen.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The durability stuff is a definite bug, but its only effect is to make the durability mechanics (repair powder, free repair at bonfires, knuckle ring) actually useful. Also you should be using multiple weapons anyway.

Tactics18

Pursuer
in the Bastille was a nice surprise.
Durability in this game is a joke though. I can't get to the stairs in no man's wharf without my Uchi breaking..

Barakov

Took down Dragonrider. Now, I'm looking to get past the actual dragon.

Man, the Heide Knights are no joke. Weirdly, I never noticed the durability issue in the PC version but I'm definitely noticing it here playing on Xbox One.

Rhaknar

that new dragon (like a lot of things in the game) almost seems made for coop, I had summoned someone because im 100% in "I see a summon sign on the floor, fuck it im pressing it" mode (lol) and while the dragon was shooting down at me from the bottom of the stairs (as I was trying to arrow him down), the summon just ran up to him as he was distracted.

I actually thought it was neat. Not to mention any moss with more than 1 mob of course

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's not a freaking bug. The PC version was the lead version of Dark Souls II and it was always made for 60 fps (unlike DS1 which had to be modded to even run like that). I actually like it. I use a Bastard Sword, but I've started carrying a spare Flamberge for minor enemies, and I switch them around as needed. It makes for more variety than before and it's not a problem maintaining two weapons since the upgrade materials come in tiers. Once I'm done with large titanite for the BS, I upgrade the FB. And I only get near breaking when I'm doing really long runs anyway.

And now people are throwing around the "lazy port" argument? For FUCKS sake, people! This is anything but a lazy port. It's a complete remix with damn near every enemy encounter tweaked somehow and tons of items moved around and additional changes in most zones. Plus the DLC, plus the improved graphics. Get some damn perspective and try again!

But they didn't fix the durability bug, though.

Top Bottom