• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The executioner's horse at the Drangleic Castle completely caught me off guard, nice surprise :p

as someone that HATED that boss, sounds like a awful surprise :(

How does this happen? I've been using Greatswords in my playthrough and I've never had them run out of durability.

I tried a Greatsword just now. Without upgrading I took it from the second Gutter bonfire to the first BG one, and I swung like crazy at everything I could see including walls, and I killed about ten enemies and fell into a corrosive urn. I got a breakage warning just before the bonfire. Sure, it goes down quickly if you're not careful, but that's kind of the point.

The thing is, if you upgrade the weapon and your skills, you kill enemies quicker so you don't need as many swings. Especially a Greatsword should be able to oneshot pretty much anything. Durability is way less of an issue then.

So is adaptability still worth leveling? Heard that I should at least have 100 ADP if I want to have invincibility on rolls or something.

I tried a Greatsword just now. Without upgrading I took it from the second Gutter bonfire to the first BG one, and I swung like crazy at everything I could see including walls, and I killed about ten enemies and fell into a corrosive urn. I got a breakage warning just before the bonfire. Sure, it goes down quickly if you're not careful, but that's kind of the point.

The thing is, if you upgrade the weapon and your skills, you kill enemies quicker so you don't need as many swings. Especially a Greatsword should be able to oneshot pretty much anything. Durability is way less of an issue then.

But that's the thing, I just swung 2 times. Two handing the greatsword, and a good chunk of durability gone on one enemy. Seems like it's random because I hit the dame enemy in the lost bastille, and it barely went down a point. I also one or two shot an enemy now with a Greatsword +6.

Sami+

lmao, the DS2 hate is seriously so ridiculous. The game is incredible.

Glad to see most of you guys are enjoying it. Hope those who were swayed against it because of absurd downplaying of its quality picked it up anyways and is enjoying it.

Can't wait to pick up a copy soon and play through it for the billionth time.

Hows it run on PS4? Any issues?

"I like thing so obviously people who don't like thing are ridiculous"

I fucking hate it but you don't see me acting like you're a moron for liking it. Relax.

Well, damn. Killing one enemy in the Wharf took off like 30% of my weapons durability. Was one of the bigger enemies, and I'm using the greatsword. Needs fixing,yo.

I just notice it when I was summoned. Swung 2 times and noticed my durability disappeared. Never seen that happen before. Guess I was hitting the floor or another body on the ground. Still shouldn't happen.

When you get summoned, your weapon durability along with estus charges won't reset. So when you almost cleared the area, losing 1/2 of the weapons durablity in the progress and get summoned, you start at your summon spot with only 1/2 of the durability. Perhaps that was the reason? Your first quote doesn't make sense to be honest.
Completing the summon task will sent you back with full durability and estus along with humanity. Failing due to dieing as summon/the world master death or dissonnect will sent you back to your own world, without resetting durability/estus.

Bug or 'feature', its an annoyance but a minor one. Too be honest, they should just get rid of durability completely or make it effect only special attacks. It was a useless mechanic in Dark Souls and now its a slightly annoying but useless mechanic.

Kssio_Aug

How is the frame rate on the XB1 version?
I mean... I've seen the DF comparison, but is it that bad when gaming?

Bloodborne had some frame-rate issues but it really have not affected me much.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"I like thing so obviously people who don't like thing are ridiculous"

I fucking hate it but you don't see me acting like you're a moron for liking it. Relax.

if you hate it, why are you here? :/

actually legit question, why would you be in a discussion thread for something you hate

When you get summoned, your weapon durability along with estus charges won't reset. So when you almost cleared the area, losing 1/2 of the weapons durablity in the progress and get summoned, you start at your summon spot with only 1/2 of the durability. Perhaps that was the reason? Your first quote doesn't make sense to be honest.
Completing the summon task will sent you back with full durability and estus along with humanity. Failing due to dieing as summon/the world master death or dissonnect will sent you back to your own world, without resetting durability/estus.

I understand how summoning works in this game. I was doing a pretty long co-op session. Helping other players, and beating the boss every time. I know it doesn't make sense. That's why I posted it here. I was definitely at full durability.

Grady

Just.booted the game up. Holy shit at the difference in graphics between bloodborne and this game. Looks outdated now. Anyways, looking foward to playing. Need a break from bb before i attempt that final chalicr for platinum.

Soodanim

Received my copy today. I've already re-rolled once. I initially started as the 2 hand class, intending to be a dodgeroll king. But that infamous tracking has annoyed me already, so I'm restarting as whatever the 2nd class is and planning to buy a shield. It's a shame, because when only 1 class starts with a shield you know they intended a certain play style. Or I could re-roll again as a mage and wait until I find the Pyromancy, and say fuck it to most of the melee combat in favour of sweet sweet fire in memory of the Chosen Undead of Lordran.

I do love the fact that it's 60fps (PC), but the turning angles being different to DS1 isn't great. It feels like the movement is a lot of directions instead of truly analog, if that makes sense.

I'm not giving up by a long shot, but I do get it. It's Devil May Cry 2.

GRaider81

Just beat the Last giant after 3/4 hours of getting to grips with the game.

Liking it a lot so far despite being unsure due to the hate in this thread. I haven't played DS1 since it first came out but it definately feels like that game did.

Looking forward to exploring more.

Sami+

if you hate it, why are you here? :/

actually legit question, why would you be in a discussion thread for something you hate

Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are very easily my two favorite games (in general I mean) and Dark Souls is up there despite not hitting quite the same heights imo.

I really don't like DkS2 but I did still beat it and I do still love the series so I'm curious about what's changed and what people think of the new version. I pop in here from time to time.

Just.booted the game up. Holy shit at the difference in graphics between bloodborne and this game. Looks outdated now. Anyways, looking foward to playing. Need a break from bb before i attempt that final chalicr for platinum.

Honestly I never found any of the games to be a looker until BB. If anything I'd vote DS1 as looking better than DS2 since the sequel was more inconsistent visually I thought. Shaded woods looks like a launch ps3 game.

orborborb

Character movement and camera movement are really poor in Dark Souls II compared to Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne, and so is the sound design, animation, and the art direction. The objects and enemies and pieces of the level just don't blend together they way they did in the other games. And the writing and storytelling are the weakest of the series as well.

But I'm still coming to the strong conclusion that Dark Souls II is very much the superior game to Bloodborne. And it's all about the depth of the connection between the level design, the stats and gear, and the various ways combat encounters can play out. In Bloodborne I frequently died to the exact same moves in the exact same situations, and when I succeeded it was often by doing the exact same thing that worked the last time. In Dark Souls II the slower paced combat extends the encounters to encompass more of the level design and the interaction between other elements. It's the same reason New Super Luigi U is so much better than Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, each action is dependent on HOW you got into a situation, not a simple "when you see X then press Y"

DS2 definitely looks dated, but let's not get carried away. Bloodborne has amazing art, but it's not a very technically good looking game. It's not a game I would say has good graphics. Not even close. Especially compared to other games on the PS4.

Take away the design and Bloodborne looks like an average game at best.

Rhaknar

BB thread turns into a shit on DS2 thread

DS2 thread turns into a shit on BB thread

cant we all get along? :p

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DS2 definitely looks dated, but let's not get carried away. Bloodborne has amazing art, but it's not a very technically good looking game. It's not a game I would say has good graphics. Not even close. Especially compared to other games on the PS4.

Take away the strongest aspect of any games visuals and yes, it will indeed look much worse.

Character movement and camera movement are really poor in this game compared to Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne,

This was immediately apparent to me when I booted it up. I need to try the PC version again to see if I can still feel the difference but it was pretty jarring after coming off of Bloodborne.

orborborb

This was immediately apparent to me when I booted it up. I need to try the PC version again to see if I can still feel the difference but it was pretty jarring after coming off of Bloodborne.

The way camera rotation steps jarringly from slow to fast rather than gradually increasing in speed as you move the analog stick is baffling, as is the way you keep walking perfectly straight as you adjust the analog stick to turn. I can't imagine this makes the game easier for anyone to play, so why on earth did they implement these "features"?

Take away the strongest aspect of any games visuals and yes, it will indeed look much worse.

I was talking about texture quality and overall image quality. Both those things are mediocre in Bloodborne. It's not a game I would boot up to show someone the power of the PS4.

It's not pushing graphics in any way. Great art design is fantastic, but it obviously doesn't make a game look pleasing to the eyes when other major technical problems exists.

It's made even worse when you realize how small the areas in Bloodborne are. A more technically talented developer could have made Bloodborne look infinitely better with the same hardware.

It's not surprising to me. From Software has never made a graphically impressive game. Bloodborne is about what I would expect from them.

Sorry if a stupid question, but never played demon sous or dark souls 1 or 2, but did just get bloodborne and love it so I wanna jump into this. So my question is do I need to play the first one before I play this one? I feel its kinda weird they didnt remake both or at least the first one first.

BB thread turns into a shit on DS2 thread

DS2 thread turns into a shit on BB thread

cant we all get along? :p

I don't think anyone in this thread has been shitting on Bloodborne. A couple of people I think are realizing that Bloodborne may be a bit more shallow than they'd like out of a Souls game and are getting back into Dark Souls 2 with this new release, but I certainly don't think anyone's going to say Bloodborne is a bad game.

Rhaknar

Sorry if a stupid question, but never played demon sous or dark souls 1 or 2, but did just get bloodborne and love it so I wanna jump into this. So my question is do I need to play the first one before I play this one? I feel its kinda weird they didnt remake both or at least the first one first.

no you dont.

Nah, you can hop right into this and you'll be alright. I'd certainly recommend playing Dark Souls 1 first (or even Demons Souls if you could) but if you just have a PS4 and your options are Dark Souls 2 or nothing, definitely grab it.

Neoweee

This game came out after Ps4 and XOBE were already out, so there is more of a market of people who were waiting for this next-gen version.

DryvBy

Wasn't Amazon offering a pre-order bonus for this? Because the last 4 games I've bought, I haven't got my codes.

hawk2025

Take away Lincoln's shooting, and that was a wonderful play indeed!

I was talking about texture quality and overall image quality. Both those things are mediocre in Bloodborne. It's not a game I would boot up to show someone the power of the PS4.

It's not pushing graphics in any way. Great art design is fantastic, but it obviously doesn't make a game look pleasing to the eyes when other major technical problems exists.

It's made even worse when you realize how small the areas in Bloodborne are. A more technically talented developer could have made Bloodborne look infinitely better with the same hardware.

It's not surprising to me. From Software has never made a graphically impressive game. Bloodborne is about what I would expect from them.

I don't know what Bloodborne you are playing but I have shown it to people and they all walked away really impressed.

MilkBeard

This is a weird comment. I would say Bloodborne looks really good. It has technical issues but the level detail, design and lighting effects make the game stand out, even among games that might be technically superior.

I would say that Bloodborne has 'good' graphics. I'm not someone who hated on DS II's graphics, although I would say that even without the extra horsepower of the PS4, the level design is still better quality than DS II's.

Top Bottom