• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Some people are easily impressed. I honestly don't understand how anyone could think Bloodborne is anything special to look at. Must be those PS4 exclusive blinders.

Texture quality is pretty bad, character models are mediocre, weird shimmering and a lack of sharpness throughout the entire game. The only thing aspect of the graphics that occasionally looks like a PS4 exclusive is the lighting from time to time.

Just about every other PS4 exclusive looks better. There is no excuse. You're telling me that developers can make games that look like Killzone or Infamous and somehow Bloodborne is ok? Nope.

It's definitely better than DS2. No argument there at all.

What am I reading? Seriously, what is this?

Beaulieu

Just started this after loving Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne
So far I like how it seems way more open than Bloodborne and there juste seems more to do. I love how 2 convenents are accessible right from the start compared to BB poor excuse for convenents.

Theres seems to be waaay more messages on the ground as well. And its funny that the bloodstains arent working most of the time, just like in BB.

NPCs have a lot more dialogues as well, they are good at explaining what to do.

Neoweee

Just started this after loving Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne
So far I like how it seems way more open than Bloodborne and there juste seems more to do. I love how 2 convenents are accessible right from the start compared to BB poor excuse for convenents.

Theres seems to be waaay more messages on the ground as well. And its funny that the bloodstains arent working most of the time, just like in BB.

NPCs have a lot more dialogues as well, they are good at explaining what to do.

Oh, just wait on the bloodstains. Some of them are broken, sure, but the Super Meat Boy-style death montages in bloodpools are amazing.

Uff duh

Banned
Trying to play this on PC. Looks good. Problem is my 360 controller is screwed. Any one in here know the best way to get the PS4 controller to work on the PC?

MilkBeard

I have to say, the game looks *way* better on PS4 than it did on PS3. Framerate, lighting, texture detail...it's quite a good bump in my opinion.

Randam

I like Dark Souls 2 a lot more than Dark Souls 1. /shrug

DS2 is anything but a cash grab. The amount of content in this game is staggering, the combat mechanics and build diversity are better than DS1, and while I haven't finished the game I've read that no areas reach the lows that some DS1 areas do (Lost Izalith yuck).

imo there isn't much that is better than lost izalith.

and yeah, there is more of everything, but that doesn't make things particular better.

Nope, I couldnt wield the morning star with 1h so I 2handed it and it worked fine.

Don't you deal less damage than you could with the needed stats though by a noticeable margin? I could have sworn I remember it from Demon's Souls and always figured it got passed down through the series.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
11129818_10153164294551465_1454580396_n.jpg

AU7Amsc.gif
This should be worth the purchase price going in (again).

I was shocked I went physical instead. I typically get my games digitally.

Some people are easily impressed. I honestly don't understand how anyone could think Bloodborne is anything special to look at. Must be those PS4 exclusive blinders.

Texture quality is pretty bad, character models are mediocre, weird shimmering and a lack of sharpness throughout the entire game. The only thing aspect of the graphics that occasionally looks like a PS4 exclusive is the lighting from time to time.

Just about every other PS4 exclusive looks better. There is no excuse. You're telling me that developers can make games that look like Killzone or Infamous and somehow Bloodborne is ok? Nope.

It's definitely better than DS2. No argument there at all.
Uhhhh deffinity off topic. But I will respect your opinion.

I like the EU cover a lot more than the NA cover..

Jobbs

Banned
Got the game. Making character. Having trouble remembering what the spells and weapons and items are in the game, therefore not sure what build to go with. Kinda exciting, though I'm sure it'll all come rushing back to me as I play.

SRTtoZ

Trying to play this on PC. Looks good. Problem is my 360 controller is screwed. Any one in here know the best way to get the PS4 controller to work on the PC?

Nevermind, just use the method above.

Don't you deal less damage than you could with the needed stats though by a noticeable margin? I could have sworn I remember it from Demon's Souls and always figured it got passed down through the series.

I was 2 shotting the mobs in the fallen forest so I dont think so. I also farmed that new
Ogre
thingy near the first bonfire a few times with no trouble.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A wild Nabs appears :eek:

It's so weird to me how 90% of every souls game conversation (including BB) is about bosses when it's the zones that make me love these games. I just love exploring every nook for items and find shortcuts and whatnot. It really is a modern day Zelda series imo, maybe the "mature zelda" that many have been asking for for years.

Bloodborne is amazing, but I miss certain things from DS2.

- Weapon/Armor and build variety
- Ability to re-spec
- Rock solid online and maybe the best PvP in any Souls title
- 60fps (Played on PC with absurd downsampling)

DS2 is amazing, you guys are in for a ride.

mkvl

Neo Member
I loved BB but its shortcomings are making me want to buy this. On the other hand BB strong points (combat and presentation) are making me doubtful regarding the fun I would have now with DkS2... I didn't even play the DLC but still... Help me GAF!

hawk2025

I loved BB but its shortcomings are making me want to buy this. On the other hand BB strong points (combat and presentation) are making me doubtful regarding the fun I would have now with DkS2... I didn't even play the DLC but still... Help me GAF!

That's why I bought both, AND will be playing through both at the same time!

Neoweee

I'm having no trouble jumping back and forth between Dark Souls 2 and finishing the Platinum in BB. I think they are the two standouts to the "series", despite being opposite ends of the spectrum on so many things that make them each appealing.

vilmer_

My goodness, the framerate and graphical upgrade from the PS3 to PS4 version is phenomenal.

Now if only they would do this with Demon's and Dark 1.

SRTtoZ

Well worth it. I love BB to death, and will continue to play it, but DS2 is a fantastic game that does a few things better, a few things worse. Overall for 60 bucks you're getting 100 hours+ worth of content, you can't go wrong.

DryvBy

Game plays much better but that item decay rate bug is annoying. My weapons are half-trashed and I'm just out of the first area!

Jobbs

Banned
Playing on PS4. Made my new character. Settled on Cleric, since that's kinda what I typically do for my first character in things -- Yes, I've played Souls 2 before, but only the original vanilla on PS3, never the expansions and I already forgot a lot of where stuff is and what's in the game.

She looks like a Disney princess.

The game being in 60 fps is verrrrryyy nice. I never played it on PC, so this feeling is new to me.

I have a high end PC that outclasses both current gen consoles, and I still think Bloodborne is one of the most visually impressive games I've seen in my long history of gaming. The world is meticulously handcrafted and brimming with detail. Oh and texture detail is bad? That's flat out incorrect, the game is using high resolution assets for basically every surface in the game. The world has so much variety, and not to mention scale. If anyone has blinders on, it's probably you.

ugh, tried to support a local independent shop by preordering this there. They didnt get it in and said they wont until Friday. Guess I am going to go to gamestop bleh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sitting here at work wanting to be playing it. Always a good sign. Dat poison zone tho :/

Actually that zone didn't bother me in vanilla

MarkusRJR

So which version of Dark Souls 2 is better for a first time play through? I heard Scholar of the First Sin is harder so I was thinking of saving some cash and buying the original 360 version if that's the case. I'd prefer the better performance of the Xbone version. but I don't want to be in for an even harder ride my first time through.

epmode

Oh and texture detail is bad? That's flat out incorrect, the game is using high resolution assets for basically every surface in the game.

It's too bad the chromatic aberration does its best to hide it.

Yes, I own Bloodborne but the performance is pretty disappointing compared to PC Dark Souls/DS2.

wickfut

Banned
I've put a few hours in to this now and It's starting to grow on me. I'm doing a pure dex/two handed curved sword/no shield run and I've found It's just the early levels which I think are unbalanced, but once you get passed 4-5 bosses then it starts to get better.

I've reached the castle but I'm not really noticing much in the way of a different game. Some enemies are missing, some are replaced by others, but it's pretty much the same old DS2. I'd say only about 10% of the games enemy placement has changed and the game feels slightly easier when you're reaching the great souls sections of each path.

I'm going to finish it, just because.. but I'm still confused to why this remix even exists?

Nabs

So which version of Dark Souls 2 is better for a first time play through? I heard Scholar of the First Sin is harder so I was thinking of saving some cash and buying the original 360 version if that's the case. I'd prefer the better performance of the Xbone version. but I don't want to be in for an even harder ride my first time through.

I don't think it's harder at all. Go with the new one.

HeelPower

Man, When I went in to this game at first I felt really nostalgic lol.

That awesome entry into Majula.

I guess I really do love DS2 more than I thought I did.I wish more people would buy this port.

Its actually a really nice break from BloodBorne(a masterpiece in its own right)

ike_

I don't think it's harder at all. Go with the new one.

Yeah, I honestly think some of the hardest areas from the original are easier in the remix. Specifically
Shrine of Amana and Dragon Shrine
. Although a few other areas are a bit harder.

The extra NPC summons make it a bit easier, but the extra NPC invasions balance that out.

Overall I think it is a better mix. With DLC (some of the best parts of DS2) for free and graphic improvements, I'd say go remix.

Jobbs

Banned
in many ways this game looks better to my eyes than bloodborne -- mainly because of the 60 fps, which matters so much, it feels like being able to breathe after suffocating under bloodborne's 20-30 fps unstableness.

I am loving this game lol I need some advice if anyone is willing to help me!

Im going for a purely melee build my first time through so Ive been leveling up strength and dexterity equally. Gaf, what is one good strength weapon to reinforce and one good dexterity-based weapon to reinforce?

Also, for those that have beaten the game, will I find enough titanite to reinforce multiple weapons to the max?

BizzyBum

Picked up my PS4 copy today.

The visual upgrades are really nice, and it's awesome to play at 60fps since I only played the PS3 version. It's obviously not on Bloodborne's level visually, but they did a nice job with the upgrade and it's certainly a good looking game in its own right.

I have to admit though it's a bit of a struggle to play this after 50 hours spent on Bloodborne recently. The controls seem stiff in comparison and it's definitely a much slower game. Being slower is not necessarily a bad thing, though. I'm hoping the Souls series and Bloodborne branch off into two seperate paths: Bloodborne being the much faster and aggressive style of fighting while Dark Souls 3 and beyond remain the slower and more meticulous style of medieval fighting.

ironcreed

Banned
Anyone who thinks that this is just some quick and dirty port could not be more wrong. New enemy behaviors and item placement, enemy remixes and unsuspecting surprises for those of us who have played, crisp 1080p and silky smooth 60 fps. Even the lighting has been improved and we are now closer to what it was supposed to look like.

Screenshot-Original.png

Anyone who thinks that this is just some quick and dirty port could not be more wrong. New enemy behaviors and item placement, enemy remixes and unsuspecting surprises for those of us who have played, crisp 1080p and silky smooth 60 fps. Even the lighting has been improved and we are now closer to what it was supposed to look like.

Yeah, it's quite good. I was on the fence about getting it but the new enemy and item placement makes it feel really fresh. And I dig the tweaked lighting, the game looks much less flat now thanks to it.

Top Bottom