• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Man I want to buy this game but I don't know if my GPU good enough for it..

I have a GTX 560TI and an I5 2500K overclocked to 4.5ghz.

I'm wondering if I should buy this on PC or on my PS4. Any help ? :/

Your setup is good to handle this at high settings. I'm running it on a 2500k (not overclocked) and a GTX 570 on high settings and everything is smooth.

Hugstable

Banned
wow the gangbanging is insane now, FOFG and HT are both def harder than they used to be o_O the stronger enemies are much more numerous and i'm only an hour in. hopefully i can fight to the agape ring tomo since i'm at the corpse for the skelly lords

I feel like I'm the exact opposite. I used to do so bad back when I first played this game in those areas and I complained about the gank squads both areas had, but for some reason I'm not having that issue anymore. FotFG seemed to be alot easier to pulling enemies individually, and HT doesn't seem all that different besides those knights taking a snooze. I'm really liking it this go around though, seems to be balanced much better, to me at least. Just 2-shot Pursurer!

Yeah 100%. Going from Bloodborne back to Dark Souls 2 was eye opening. It's like, you barely even have to manage your stamina at all in Bloodborne. In DS2, managing stamina improperly gets you killed.

After playing DS2 all night last night, it was hard going back to Bloodborne today due to the framerate. Especially after how bad it go while I was fighting the boss of Cainhurst, it felt like it shot down below the 20fps for quite awhile. DS2 is so buttery smooth though on my PS4, it seems to never drop 60fps. The lighting seems much better than vanilla too, the dark basement area in FotFG was never a big deal back in Vanilla and you could see everything well without lighting a single thing, but in this remaster I needed to light them since it was way tougher to see.

I feel like I'm the exact opposite. I used to do so bad back when I first played this game in those areas and I complained about the gank squads both areas had, but for some reason I'm not having that issue anymore. FotFG seemed to be alot easier to pulling enemies individually, and HT doesn't seem all that different besides those knights taking a snooze. I'm really liking it this go around though, seems to be balanced much better, to me at least. Just 2-shot Pursurer!

you are talking about killing enemies individually though. in DS2, it was much easier to do boss runs (this is where you run to the boss fog and avoid all the enemies, taking on bosses at a lower level / with less souls gained) than it is in SOTFS because of the larger number of mobs (which yeah can be aggroed and slowly killed, but the run to the agape ring is slower now that you have to stop and kill enemies, you can't quite run nonstop in all the areas you used to be able to due to enemy placement

wutwutwut

Stamina management to me is the whole point of the Souls games, at least mechanically. Bloodborne sounds pretty disappointing in that regard.

Jobbs

Banned
Man. FOTFG is just fucking brutal for a new naked character. I'm getting my ass kicked. Just relentless numbers of spawns.. and my weapons break constantly...

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Any word on how the ps4 version performs? I'm torn since I have DS2 already on the PC and it would be nice to have a console version as well but I don't want to sacrifice much in terms of frame rate or other visuals.

This game is without question much harder than Bloodborne.

A lot of Dark 2's difficulty comes from cheapness, Bloodborne's difficulty is more like Demon and Dark 1 where all you have to do is stay calm and you're good.
Yes, dark areas are actually... dark.

Oh yeah. You better bring out a torch in No Man's Wharf.
Thank god.

Any word on how the ps4 version performs? I'm torn since I have DS2 already on the PC and it would be nice to have a console version as well but I don't want to sacrifice much in terms of frame rate or other visuals.
Damn near perfect 60.

Hugstable

Banned
A lot of Dark 2's difficulty comes from cheapness, Bloodborne's difficulty is more like Demon and Dark 1 where all you have to do is stay calm and you're good.

ymey9hO.gif

Just gotta stay calm lol

I'm already noticing some cool differences from the standard version I played on PS3.

The game looks so nice in 60fps and 1080p, as well. I'm going to have a great time playing through this, as I haven't experienced any of the DLC too.

I think I'll try to get a really cool build going, with some hard to obtain armor and weapons. Perfect game to pick up now that I've completed Bloodborne.

ghostjoke

Banned
19hrs in and not sure what but it's beginning to click after the first 10 hours of irritation. It still feels cheap at time compared to DS1 but I'm having fun finally. Dual weilding is definitely the way to go, especially with that damn 60fps bug.

Jobbs

Banned
So -- the little building behind the gate where pate is, there's supposed to be
a hidden path before t
he stairs, but I can't get it to open. did they remove it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just saw a video of a dude not raising the platforms in
heide and then dragonrider falls to his death if you dodge his lunge lol

That was from vanilla too, I had no idea :D

def sim

Poor Vinny :D

Edit: is that from the quicklook or a stream Vinny did? I wanna hear his reaction lol

I want to say that's from their premium feature "Load Our Last Souls" where Vinny plays through the game. That's probably one of the earlier episodes because I remember him going full Havel.

HeelPower

This game is without question much harder than Bloodborne.

its not really.

I am enjoying it very much ,but I really don't think this harder than BloodBorne at all.

BloodBorne gave me such a hard time the first ten or hours or so.

The bonfires here are so frequent and you have higher life to start with.You probably think BB is easy now that you mastered it after a long playthrough.

Abylim

I am enjoying this a lot more than vanilla.

My
Curved Dragonsword, from Ancent Dragon
, definitely breaks quicker than vanilla, cant do the R2 a lot anymore, if I'm going to kill a few guys, I can only do it once or twice. Actually had it break during a DLC boss fight, used the R2 too many times.

And yes, I'm rocking the +2 ring, too!

But its not so bad, and I am actually switching weapon types depending on the enemies.

I had no idea mace/hammer weapons did this much more damage to armored foes. I destroy the
Drakekeepers in Dragon Shrine
now in a few hits, instead of a few combos.

Anyone on the fence worrying about durability needs to grab this. Its only an issue for the beginning, after its just another resource you need to manage.

Is evasion applicable now like it is in Bloodborne? Or do enemies auto track to the bullshit degree like in the original version to the point where evading is fucking stupid to risk and you might as well just press L1.

Did they fix any of the games problems in the rerelease. I.e, messages trolling you for invisible walls.

Is there a change log released?

this is my first time playing any souls game. I have no idea what anything does bit it's intense and I like it.

My first death involved me rolling off a cliff in the tutorial area , it made me laugh as opposed to making me angry. Getting the first death achievement was kind of icing on the cake.

Then I get to the first main area and I run across these three little pigs and I think I should be able to kill them no problem.

NOPE. These fucking little pigs are kicking my ass and they basically chase me around the entire area. If it wasn't so hilarious I would have lost my mind.

I am enjoying this a lot more than vanilla.

My
Curved Dragonsword, from Ancent Dragon
, definitely breaks quicker than vanilla, cant do the R2 a lot anymore, if I'm going to kill a few guys, I can only do it once or twice. Actually had it break during a DLC boss fight, used the R2 too many times.

And yes, I'm rocking the +2 ring, too!

But its not so bad, and I am actually switching weapon types depending on the enemies.

I had no idea mace/hammer weapons did this much more damage to armored foes. I destroy the
Drakekeepers in Dragon Shrine
now in a few hits, instead of a few combos.

Anyone on the fence worrying about durability needs to grab this. Its only an issue for the beginning, after its just another resource you need to manage.

I can't believe they didn't fix the degradation glitch from the PC version.

...Bloodborne has those things too.
Not really... Bloodborne's difficulty is entirely fair, I didn't die once without it being my fault.

njean777

Is evasion applicable now like it is in Bloodborne? Or do enemies auto track to the bullshit degree like in the original version to the point where evading is fucking stupid to risk and you might as well just press L1.

Did they fix any of the games problems in the rerelease. I.e, messages trolling you for invisible walls.

Is there a change log released?

Evasion has always applicable. I use it all the time in both DS games. It is easy to use just have to be more methodical with it.

Abylim

Not really... Bloodborne's difficulty is entirely fair, I didn't die once without it being my fault.

Honestly, it detracts from my enjoyment, but only slightly.

Its still far and away the best version to play, as someone who complained about it in the beginning of this thread, it's not so bad :)

Dark Souls 2: SotFS is potentially my favourite Souls game of all time now.

Enemies still track on their attacks up to the point they actually initiate their attack animation (just like in Bloodborne).

I've been playing as a no-shield dual-wielding build and it's worked fine. Helps to get agility up to 100 first (a 15 point or so investment in adaption) and then dodging is VERY feasible, though not as easy mode as Bloodborne's evasion.

Ok so we're probably going to have different definitions of "fair" but I'm just saying that Bloodborne has enemy attack tracking and quite large hitboxes, and insta-kills (also no mechanic in Dark Souls 2 is quite as bullshit as the "Frenzy" mechanic in Bloodborne)

Jobbs

Banned
I found what I think are new items. In one of the areas behind a soldier key door,
there's a knight I've never seen before, and he drops "syan's armor". nearby on the ground is a "grand lance" weapon. both are items unfamiliar to me from vanilla ps3 version.

Abylim

This game s MASSIVE!

40 hours in, and I have done most of the story, but only 2 bosses in all the DLC.

Keep in mind, as a semi DS2 vet, I knew exactly where to go, what to do, etc for the story. This would be my 4th playthrough of the main game, if we count Vanilla.

To still be on just NG, and still messing around is amazing.

I love the fact that I can respec. I love my str/quality build, but later on I tend to go Int for Sorceries or Pyromancy, and I love having the option to do that, instead of starting the whole thing over.

I think all Souls games need this feature.

Abylim

I found what I think are new items. In one of the areas behind a soldier key door,
there's a knight I've never seen before, and he drops "syan's armor". nearby on the ground is a "grand lance" weapon. both are items unfamiliar to me from vanilla ps3 version.

Syans armor was most definitely in Vanilla, it was what I wore for the most part.

What part you at, Tetsuo?

Ok so we're probably going to have different definitions of "fair" but I'm just saying that Bloodborne has enemy attack tracking and quite large hitboxes, and insta-kills (also no mechanic in Dark Souls 2 is quite as bullshit as the "Frenzy" mechanic in Bloodborne)

I don't remember ever seeing an enemy spin 360 degrees in the middle of a wind-up and then slam a sword down 3 feet to my right and still hit me. I also don't remember any instant kills, but I kept my health pretty high so maybe you just got hit by some really strong attacks, or maybe I just got lucky and managed to never get hit with one.
There is no defense for Frenzy, that shit is stupid, but at the very least you can combat it with an item, it's still complete bullshit though.

Jobbs

Banned
Syans armor was most definitely in Vanilla, it was what I wore for the most part.

What part you at, Tetsuo?

it definitely wasn't HERE, though. down the ladder from cardinal tower, go across the little bridge and through the soldier door. there's a new knight there and he drops it. I am nearly positive that wasn't there before.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey so I've only finished completely both FotFG and Hiedes Tower, and I'm already level 43. Is this normal for me to be leveling this fast?! I know there are alot more areas to come and surprised to see myself at such a high level already. I've not died all that much and haven't lost any souls yet so that may be a contributer, but I haven't even tried to grind anything in any way at all.

Also here's my current stats. Is this already a decent way to go for a STR build?

15 VGR
12 END
10 VIT
4 ATN
15 STR
12 DEX
19 ADP
3 INT
6 FTH

Abylim

it definitely wasn't HERE, though. down the ladder from cardinal tower, go across the little bridge and through the soldier door. there's a new knight there and he drops it. I am nearly positive that wasn't there before.

No, he wasnt there. There is now Syan Knights guarding all the
King Ring
doors.

Kazuhira

The grand lance is late-game weapon in the vanilla version,i was really surprised to find it so early in SoTFS.

def sim

Hey so I've only finished completely both FotFG and Hiedes Tower, and I'm already level 43. Is this normal for me to be leveling this fast?! I know there are alot more areas to come and surprised to see myself at such a high level already. I've not died all that much and haven't lost any souls yet so that may be a contributer, but I haven't even tried to grind anything in any way at all.

Also here's my current stats. Is this already a decent way to go for a STR build?

15 VGR
12 END
10 VIT
4 ATN
15 STR
12 DEX
19 ADP
3 INT
6 FTH

It's fine. DkS2 is generous with Souls, more so when dropping summon signs and the Pursuer following you everywhere now.

You can always respec whenevs.

edit: As SRT said, start focusing on strength more. You can bring VGR and END to 20 if you feel you need it.

I don't remember ever seeing an enemy spin 360 degrees in the middle of a wind-up and then slam a sword down 3 feet to my right and still hit me. I also don't remember any instant kills, but I kept my health pretty high so maybe you just got hit by some really strong attacks, or maybe I just got lucky and managed to never get hit with one.
There is no defense for Frenzy, that shit is stupid, but at the very least you can combat it with an item, it's still complete bullshit though.

No wacky hit boxes you say?

http://a.pomf.se/uabsdl.webm

SRTtoZ

15 VGR
12 END
10 VIT
4 ATN
15 STR
12 DEX
19 ADP
3 INT
6 FTH

Its good but start pumping more points into STR. It should be way higher than your other stats until you hit softcap.

Top Bottom