• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Those on PC: how can you override AA settings in Nvidia Inspector? Compatibility still addresses the DX9 version I think so there's no effect when I override settings.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't think rolling into a barrel explodes them.
Some attacks do, but rolling doesn't.

Except when they do :)

I /shrugged it off to my giant greatsword on my back must have hit the rock floor on the ground as I rolled and made a spark

:p

Never had anything like that happen to me, looks like it could be a weird glitch, I unno.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's likely caused by the way the hitbox detection works and I'm not saying that this is a normal occurrence in Bloodborne, but I've absolutely had those enemies spin 180 degrees to hit me mid attack while they charged and one hit kills can happen in Bloodborne if you get hit by the right attack (those brain monsters in Nightmare Frontier for instance that frenzy, if they grab you their combined grab damage + the frenzy is a 100% certain kill).

But I've been playing Dark Souls 2 as a shieldless dual wielding build and the amount of times I've been hit by an attack that I was certain I should have not been hit by was exactly once in near 30 hours. So not bad all things considered.

tuna_love

Banned
it definitely wasn't HERE, though. down the ladder from cardinal tower, go across the little bridge and through the soldier door. there's a new knight there and he drops it. I am nearly positive that wasn't there before.
The knights who drop use to only be at dangleic castle

Not sure how that happened, in my 60 hours with the game nothing remotely like that has occurred for me. Interesting nonetheless.

Yeah imagine how confused I am when everyone keeps telling me how horrible DS2's hitboxes and enemy tracking are and nothing this bad ever happened to me in that game.

Neoweee

No wacky hit boxes you say?

http://a.pomf.se/uabsdl.webm

All of the "Souls"-y games have issues with hit detection, gratuitous tracking, rampant clipping, and poor weapon collision. Different games will fall at various parts on the spectrum for each, but they're all filled with things that some could consider "BS". It always strikes me as odd that Dark Souls 2 got picked up as the flagrant example for everything, wheres in three of those four categories it definitely wasn't the worst.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It always strikes me as odd that Dark Souls 2 got picked up as the flagrant example for everything, wheres in three of those four categories it definitely wasn't the worst.

it's called the "Miyazaki tax", or in that case, lack thereof

Foffy

Banned
All of the "Souls"-y games have issues with hit detection, gratuitous tracking, rampant clipping, and poor weapon collision. Different games will fall at various parts on the spectrum for each, but they're all filled with things that some could consider "BS". It always strikes me as odd that Dark Souls 2 got picked up as the flagrant example for everything, wheres in three of those four categories it definitely wasn't the worst.

I would disagree. Dark Souls II is the only game in the franchise where I found the hitboxes actually effected tactics entirely, forcing you to play differently than you should. Getting behind a Mimic, especially before it's already active, will have you bitten by its teeth, which you aren't even near. I can't even put into words how bad that is, and I've seen nothing as consistently poor in any of From's other Souls games.

If I am wrong, please enlighten me. One offs or oddities are given, but I can't think of something so consistent and puzzlingly bad as the mimic's from Dark Souls II.

Abylim

Wasn't joking tho, it happened to me earlier in bastille :)

Same, there was explbosive barrel on top of other barrels, if the explosive barrel falls, for whatever reason, when it htis the floor it explodes.

So it could happen from destroying what its resting on.

Rhaknar

Same, there was explbosive barrel on top of other barrels, if the explosive barrel falls, for whatever reason, when it htis the floor it explodes.

So it could happen from destroying what its resting on.

Ah that actually makes sense, in a fucked up way

Kazuhira

Well that's pretty damn weird.
I'll have to be careful when rolling now them.

Rolling has nothing to do with it,there´re 2 ways to make barrels with gunpowder explode.
1-Hit them with the torch :p
2-If you hit the walls/ground with your sword/axe etc near a barrel,the sparks will make them explode and enemies can do it too.
Thank you EpicNameBro.

psy18

Dragon Aerie and Dragon Shrine
changes are totally unexpected but it's cool. You guys who hated the area will feel very welcomed there ;).
I guess since they already put the DLC in the game they can shorten some content.

Question:

Do I need to clear the DLC to end the game?

If I fight
Nashandra
without downing
hollowed Vendrick
, can I get access to new ending option?

Also, those flame lizard salamanders can die in a fire >:[

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Can someone tell me what "nullify the effect of humanity" means in the bonfire menu?
I never saw this before is this new?

Yeah it's new.

Basically beating an area boss automatically adds the human effigy effect to the area for a half hour. No invasions (or summons?). You can choose to turn this off at the bonfire to resume regular multiplayer.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm coming into this conversation a little late but are the R
uin
S
entinels
really considered one of the harder bosses in the game? Because I beat them on my first try and I didn't think they were particularly difficult. It's more a test of patience than a test of skill, and granted I did go through about 5 lifegems, but it wasn't that bad. I will say that you probably want to learn how to use your iframes because that's how I avoided 95% of the swings they made at me.

Hypron

I would disagree. Dark Souls II is the only game in the franchise where I found the hitboxes actually effected tactics entirely, forcing you to play differently than you should. Getting behind a Mimic, especially before it's already active, will have you bitten by its teeth, which you aren't even near. I can't even put into words how bad that is, and I've seen nothing as consistently poor in any of From's other Souls games.

If I am wrong, please enlighten me. One offs or oddities are given, but I can't think of something so consistent and puzzlingly bad as the mimic's from Dark Souls II.

Pthumerian Descendant throwing his boomerangs through the walls is even worse.

I'm coming into this conversation a little late but are the R
uin
S
entinels
really considered one of the harder bosses in the game? Because I beat them on my first try and I didn't think they were particularly difficult. It's more a test of patience than a test of skill, and granted I did go through about 5 lifegems, but it wasn't that bad. I will say that you probably want to learn how to use your iframes because that's how I avoided 95% of the swings they made at me.

They are hard at low level (I had to put them off for a while on my SL1 playthrough and upgrade my weapon a bit for example), but I think most people will agree that they aren't that bad at all if you're levelled up properly.

Jobbs

Banned
is the knight set no longer in the connective area between the dragon rider boss and the pirate ship area? or am I just being stupid?

Foffy

Banned
Pthumerian Descendant throwing his boomerangs through the walls is even worse.

He's a fuck, too. He kind of telegraphs the move, so you can at least get out of range. I will admit he's bullshit, but that situation is a one-offer. The problem with the mimic can be encountered every time you fight one.

You'd be better off talking about
Ebrietas and her jump move. You take damage from being behind her. And again, you fight her less than you do the mimics.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
is the knight set no longer in the connective area between the dragon rider boss and the pirate ship area? or am I just being stupid?

It's still there, it's just behind a statue guy, need a fragrant branch to get it now. There are new goodies up there too.

Ac30

I'm level 87 and just got to Huntsman's Copse... Am I really over-leveled? Everything seems a cakewalk, except those dark pike-wielding ganksquads. Fuck those things.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm level 87 and just got to Huntsman's Copse... Am I really over-leveled? Everything seems a cakewalk, except those dark pike-wielding ganksquads. Fuck those things.

seems pretty high for huntsmans, if I recall, but it can sometimes take a while on a first play to even discover huntsman's so being overleveled here isn't a new thing.

Javes

Just picked this up for PS4. Been enjoying Bloodborne but I'm not really a fan of the PvP in that game and I had a lot of fun with DkS 2 PvP back on PS3. The various PvP covenants were so much fun, it's crazy how useless covenants are in BB. Anyway, feel free to add me PSN: Javes

Ac30

seems pretty high for huntsmans, if I recall, but it can sometimes take a while on a first play to even discover huntsman's so being overleveled here isn't a new thing.

I did a massive amount of co-op beforehand, probably too much at this rate. It's getting harder to pick up summons and I have to fight the chariot soon :( Without a guide I would have been lost a long time ago... I'm not reading spoilers, just a general direction to head in. Makes it more fun, I remember spending ~3 hours fighting skeletons in the graveyard and ghosts in the sunken ruins in DS1 before I read up where to go...

Rhaknar

One of the chests was a mimic

i-am-legend-no.gif

derFeef

Sorcerer is quite fun, got a shield and a sword and upped my stats so I can use them. I am running around pretty planless though, no idea where to go next really (and how to get rid of the
stone statues
in the beginning areas.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
About to boot up the game and join you crazy people in this adventure. Played a tank in previous souls games and I'm just coming off the majestic Bloodborne. Any suggestions as to my starting class?

NEO0MJ

Do I need to clear the DLC to end the game?

If I fight
Nashandra
without downing
hollowed Vendrick
, can I get access to new ending option?

Nope. You have
to talk to the scholar at all points you meet him and answer his questions correctly, get all crowns, talk to Vandrick in the past using the ashen mist heart to activate the crowns, and then fight Nashandra.

Robot Pants

Even though I have it on PC already and PS3, Id buy a Dark Souls 1 remaster on PS4 in a heartbeat. With dedicated servers? Ooooooo child...

Top Bottom