• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

...nope, no bonfire for you friend, you have a summon out. ok then, Ill just use a homeward bone. nah son, no bone for you either lol. I didnt know summons prevented that. So im like, ah fuck it, its just 15k souls, lets fight
smelter demon
You can send summons home with the black separation crystal (item).

Neoweee

Made me not like the game the first time I played it on PS3 tbh. Now I like the FoFG even less now due to new enemy placement and volume. Game started to click with me again after I got out of No Man's Wharf.

Also, explore. If you can get out of NMW, you can have access to, like... 6 more zones? There's a ton out there and it isn't at all linear.

Soodanim

Jesus Christ, GAF. I did the same thing I did in DS1 but worse. I took what was clearly not the intended first path, but instead of giving up like in DS1 I continued until I beat the boss. Then I went round to explore a little more and found the real first level. So I'm having a much easier time, but my Scimitar is dying quicker than the enemies do. It really was a bad design choice to make weapons out of plastic, From.

Needlecrash

The game looks and runs so well on PS4. I'm happy that I bought it. From Software wasn't kidding when they were talking about new enemy placement.

In Heide's Tower of Flame, there is now a Heide Knight there. So far, no item drops and he respawns.

In Things Betwixt, there is now a petrified man blocking one of the fogs with Basilisks behind the fog. I don't know if it has anything to do with the DLC but that's brand new to me though.

So far so good though.

Picked this up for PS4, after beating it twice on PC. I love the game so far, but that weapon bug is really crazy. I'm by no means an expert Souls player, but after playing DS, DS2, and BB, I'd like to say I got a step on someone walking off the street, and THAT person is going to be really confused that their weapons are barely making it through rooms.

Just playing through the first sizable stretch to the first boss, and I'm having to use pretty much all my weapons. It's gone from an afterthought to the number one thing to worry about, to me at least. Hopefully they can either fix this or make it not so dramatic.

arnehelst

Anyone know where the laddersmith has gone? He's not standing on the edge for me. Maybe cause I defeated the boss before going there?

Also the Ring of life protection has changed places?

DryvBy

Picked this up for PS4, after beating it twice on PC. I love the game so far, but that weapon bug is really crazy. I'm by no means an expert Souls player, but after playing DS, DS2, and BB, I'd like to say I got a step on someone walking off the street, and THAT person is going to be really confused that their weapons are barely making it through rooms.

Just playing through the first sizable stretch to the first boss, and I'm having to use pretty much all my weapons. It's gone from an afterthought to the number one thing to worry about, to me at least. Hopefully they can either fix this or make it not so dramatic.

I think it's the exact same bug as the PC though. I gave up on the PC version after having 60fps actually ruin the game for me lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone know where the laddersmith has gone? He's not standing on the edge for me. Maybe cause I defeated the boss before going there?

You need to find him in
earthen peak
first just like in vanilla

Arafo

Yes, if you bet the boss before before speak to him, he will move to Majula

I made my character look like Barristan Selmy from Game of Thrones based on his book appearance, and I gotta say, running around as an old grizzled knight feels pretty badass.

Saint9806

First time diving into this. I find the beginning much tougher than Bloodborne. I was getting my ass handed to me and didn't even know where to level up. So, I read the wiki and I see that I am supposed to find Emerald Herald in Majula. I walked through there, looked around and didn't see her/him. WTF... I'm gonna go back later and explore!

ArynCrinn

Banned
Of all the "changes" they could have made...

Seriously! Why not just let the damned bone girl sell unlimited Twinkling and Dragon Bone for upgrades once she starts selling inf Chunks, geez... Also a speedy sequence break for that "event" would have been nice too. Grinding certain weapons/armor is bad enough, let alone the upgrade materials. Only reason I never Plat'd Demon's, not tediously grinding one damned stone for hours, waste of fucking time.

Honestly imo, a great improvement would be a background % effect that regulated drops rates on the "skill" of taking down enemies (parrying/not dying or losing health, killing them in a certain way) or doing a certain "challenge" on a enemy type for a guaranteed drop. Would have made things nuanced, interesting and not so fucking tedious...aka fun! But I guess too much thinking would have been required for that to be realized, after the first two games no less.

I'm starting to think seriously that this game and it's design in every aspect is sort of the Pendant from DS1, it's a huge troll on the futility of sequels. A kind of self aware facepalm, from the phoned in OST to the ripoff bosses from DS1 (horribly done by comparison) and which is kind of cool, but doesn't exactly inspire much "progress" or fun. And with the issues that everybody has been complaining about since Day 1 mechanics-wise compared to DS1, and Namco/From's utter refusal to fix or even acknowledge any of these, this seems literally true. Crazy!

owlbeak

Ugh, durability bug is REALLY a pain in the ass on my first ever playthrough of this game on PS4.

Seems like my shit breaks or is <15 before I can even get to a boss. I really hope they fix this.

One of the reasons I think 30 fps durability is the correct one is the time between "at risk" and broken at 60. I don't think I ever saw a weapons just "at risk" it always broke with that same or next swing.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Ugh, durability bug is REALLY a pain in the ass on my first ever playthrough of this game on PS4.

Seems like my shit breaks or is <15 before I can even get to a boss. I really hope they fix this.

That would require that praying really works and in all probability a $10 "upgrade" (only $5.00) for current Scholar or DSII+All DLC owners. :p

EDIT: Oh, wait. Isn't ArynCrinn the poster who thinks he's some kind of psychic mega-troll FOR SCIENCE or something?

Well, not quite FOR SCIENCE or psychic, but I get a lot of practice. xD

Or maybe I just am a pessimistic bastard who likes to complain all the time. More obvious conclusion. Who knows?

Abylim

Has anyone found it yet?

I'm hoping that it's removed. It was so game breaking. Took away any incentive to care about dying or losing your souls.

Havent found a single on yet, one Soul Protection ring, but it costs 14k souls to repair when broken, so its pretty useless until NG+ or so, when you are swimming in souls

Daximuss

The summoning mechanic for co op is smooth as silky in this version. I summoned three phantoms for a boss fight and it was a breeze.
I'm also loving the 60fps in the PS4 version.

First time diving into this. I find the beginning much tougher than Bloodborne. I was getting my ass handed to me and didn't even know where to level up. So, I read the wiki and I see that I am supposed to find Emerald Herald in Majula. I walked through there, looked around and didn't see her/him. WTF... I'm gonna go back later and explore!

Take a stroll on the beach, behind the bonfire

So am I the only one having a hard time doing the guard break and jumping attack? Ive played over 10 hours now and have only been able to do the jumping attack once D:

Danny 117

Anyone want to throw down their summon sign at the first bonfire in the first DLC? Need help clearing those ghosts and the caster in the temple.

I'll be on later. Xbox One. 800k SM

Saint9806

Anyone want to throw down their summon sign at the first bonfire in the first DLC? Need help clearing those ghosts and the caster in the temple.

Where and how do you access the DLC? I just started the game but didn't see an option for it. I don't want to start it now but just want the knowledge.

HYDE

Banned
The summoning mechanic for co op is smooth as silky in this version. I summoned three phantoms for a boss fight and it was a breeze.
I'm also loving the 60fps in the PS4 version.

Thanks, I don't own the DLCs yet either, so sold

Neoweee

Where and how do you access the DLC? I just started the game but didn't see an option for it. I don't want to start it now but just want the knowledge.

There are three shrines naturally around the world. There are the "keys" to each area hidden in the game. Each key will let you enter the DLC at a shrine.

Deku Tree

Ok I just ordered DS2 PS4.
I'll jump in after I platinum BB.

Is there a good online guide that helps you not miss stuff?

Thanks!

Navy Bean

How does the game run on Xbox One? I own both systems but would prefer to get it on Xbox after playing through Bloodborne on PS4 (because of the controller preference).

Shifty1897

Going off of the trailer and screenshots on the PSN Store, the game is an eyesore. Did marketing just take a lot of bad screenshots or am I spoiled from the power of current gen gaming?

Neoweee

Going off of the trailer and screenshots on the PSN Store, the game is an eyesore. Did marketing just take a lot of bad screenshots or am I spoiled from the power of current gen gaming?

The marketing shots are bad, but it is a last gen game (albeit with 60 fps and 3 second load times).

There are some very good vistas throughout the game. Marketing is showing phantoms instead of those, or bad ass armor? Why?

Nephtes

OMG... Just wasted 12,000 souls on a Fragrant Branch of Yore which I used super early to
de-petrify the pyromancy vendor

Of course she doesn't sell the pyromancy flame. D:

I started out as the class that has two swords. Is there anything wrong with me still just using one sword and a shield, or should I restart? Just early on the game has it's moments and I'd have done better if I could block. Two swords is fast but they break super quick.

eliochip

Just coming off Bloodborne back to this game (i had the PS3 version but didn't get too far).

I really liked Bloodborne but I miss Dark Souls. It feels good having both these games to jump into at anytime.

Also, the soundtrack in this game is my favorite out of the two.

Caja 117

So I started with a Knight and a second one with a Swordsman, I ask Gaf, which one should I continue,with, also, playing at 60 fps its really nice, it still feels weird.

Danny 117

How does the game run on Xbox One? I own both systems but would prefer to get it on Xbox after playing through Bloodborne on PS4 (because of the controller preference).
I've noticed some drops but no tearing. Its a great experience and I recommend it. I'm sure from will patch it up to improve performance too.
I gave had the game crash on me like 4 times now though... don't know if that's uniform across all versions.

NEO0MJ

So I started with a Knight and a second one with a Swordsman, I ask Gaf, which one should I continue,with, also, playing at 60 fps its really nice, it still feels weird.

It doesn't really matter. There's no su ch thing as class in Dark Souls, especially Dark Souls II where you can change you characters stats using a rare item. The only difference is starting items and spells.

Daximuss

I started out as the class that has two swords. Is there anything wrong with me still just using one sword and a shield, or should I restart? Just early on the game has it's moments and I'd have done better if I could block. Two swords is fast but they break super quick.

Keep in mind that Dark Souls II has a ton of weapons and items to be found, so even though you started without a shield, you'll find one very early in the game.

One of the many appealing qualities that the Souls games do so well, is giving you a lot of loot from slain enemies and from you just exploring every nook and cranny.

Also, there are secret areas hidden behind breakable walls to be found.

Steel

Banned
So I'm terrible at Dark Souls but I want to give it another go on Xbox One. I know the basic controls, but could I have some tips on how to not suck when starting Dark Souls II?

Never waste all your stamina on a combo, always reserve a bit for dodging(or blocking? I never use a shield so don't take my advice on shields), always dodge at the last second or else you won't have invincibility frames on the dodge(unless you invested heavily in Adaptability). Get used to the range of your weapon, you want to get as much range out of it as you possibly can and you never want to whiff an attack.

I'd suggest looking up how weapon upgrading and scaling works, don't forget to press square on a weapon to see what stat it scales with(some weapons lean more toward strength than dex and vice versa). Also, keep in mind if you're human you can summon help if you get too frustrated, up to three phantoms, they come from the glowing white signs on the ground.

Good luck, have fun.

Top Bottom