• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

Killed Carthus boss yesterday. Never used that red sign but I think I have it, yes.

Only if you go the full luck hollow bleed way I think. And it's no waste then of course 😉
Go back to The High Wall of Lothric bonfire and use it. There's sure to be some 1v1 duels there.

owlbeak

That's great! You were on your last chance with him I believe.
Apparently so! Glad I happened to read something about him this morning, being able to buy embers and the other items he sells is going to be really nice.

Thanks for the advice on how to proceed from where I was! Much appreciated.

grmlin

Go back to The High Wall of Lothric bonfire and use it. There's sure to be some 1v1 duels there.

Ok, I'll try that! Thanks.

Is it normal that bosses are glitchy when being summoned? I could not help in a Volnir fight because his hands always clipped through the ground...

What is that?

You have to be hollowed (the more the better) and push your luck stat. Than you hollow infuse your weapon and shield to get another 10 points in luck.

Use carthus rouge and watch enemies bleed :) I used it with Onikiri and Ubadachi and the Carthus great curved sword and its really fun. The only problem in PvE are the bosses/enemies with a high bleed resistance. I would use a weapon with build in bleed for PvE, as your rouge won't last through a level ;)

a random youtube video about it ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOCVavMs0BM

Yes you do.

Stop what you are doing and do something fun instead.

Yeah i guess you are right lol.

Ok, I'll try that! Thanks.

Is it normal that bosses are glitchy when being summoned? I could not help in a Volnir fight because his hands always clipped through the ground...

You have to be hollowed (the more the better) and push your luck stat. Than you hollow infuse your weapon and shield to get another 10 points in luck.

Use carthus rouge and watch enemies bleed :) I used it with Onikiri and Ubadachi and the Carthus great curved sword and its really fun. The only problem in PvE are the bosses/enemies with a high bleed resistance. I would use a weapon with build in bleed for PvE, as your rouge won't last through a level ;)

a random youtube video about it ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOCVavMs0BM

Looks interesting, maybe i'll try it with another pg ;)

-

Questions.

When i beat the final boss, will i be forced to go to ng+?

Can i pass from a covenant to another without losing my progress?

If i miss a ring in ng, will i be able to find the same version in ng+?

grmlin

Yeah i guess you are right lol.

Looks interesting, maybe i'll try it with another pg ;)

-

Questions.

There are things you can't find in NG+
some rings that have a +1/+2 version of it I think

AFAIK you can beat the last boss and go on with other things in this playthrough. I don't know for sure if this is the case for all endings though.

Dropped off the game for a bit and I'm trying to get back into it but I want to try out a new build.

I'm SL60 right now and I'm at the Irithyll boss. Any suggestions? I was just going with a straight strength build so far. Is any int/faith/pyro build worth it at this level?

I've fucked up probably every NPC quest and it's making me want to start over :[

I don't know why I find it so funny when people leave messages calling you a skeleton. I see it all the time:

fine work,
skeleton!

don't give up,
skeleton!

Cracks me up every time. I've even put a few down myself. My favorite is the one I put right in front of the invisible jailers in the Profaned Capital:

listen carefully,
skeleton!

RiggyRob

We have finally entered the Profaned Capital!

Part 47: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=xV2fVzqNdfs

Part 48: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=fZpFuEGRJ68

One thing that struck me here was
finding Yhorm seems really early? I was expecting there to be an arduous trek through the capital to find him, but he's literally 30 seconds from the bonfire. We haven't even found Aldrich yet!

The other part that was weird is that there's a shitload of treasure here, but I wouldn't have associated that with a giant - hoarding gold is more of a classic dragon trait, which would have fit in with everything dragon-related we've found so far.

Mistel

Banned
Dropped off the game for a bit and I'm trying to get back into it but I want to try out a new build.

I'm SL60 right now and I'm at the Irithyll boss. Any suggestions? I was just going with a straight strength build so far. Is any int/faith/pyro build worth it at this level?

I've fucked up probably every NPC quest and it's making me want to start over :[
You could branch out at that level it depends on whether you want to do pvp or not.
I don't know why I find it so funny when people leave messages calling you a skeleton. I see it all the time:

fine work,
skeleton!

don't give up,
skeleton!

Cracks me up every time. I've even put a few down myself. My favorite is the one I put right in front of the invisible jailers in the Profaned Capital:

listen carefully,
skeleton!
DS2 had much lewder skeletons if I remember the messages correctly.
Questions.

Answers:
  1. No you will not.
  2. Yes you keep covenant progress as you switch between them.
  3. It will be replaced by a higher version if applicable I believe but not 100% on this one.

Tarkus

I been itching to start a new build lately. I'm thinking of CleriDex since I've yet to use Miracles in this game. If some kind soul would help me swap some weapons between characters, I would make it worth your while...like really worth it.

There are things you can't find in NG+
some rings that have a +1/+2 version of it I think

AFAIK you can beat the last boss and go on with other things in this playthrough. I don't know for sure if this is the case for all endings though.

You could branch out at that level it depends on whether you want to do pvp or not.

DS2 had much lewder skeletons if I remember the messages correctly.

Answers:
  1. No you will not.
  2. Yes you keep covenant progress as you switch between them.
  3. It will be replaced by a higher version if applicable I believe but not 100% on this one.

All rings can be found in NG+ and NG++, they will not be replaced. And you'll keep all the rings you find, they won't be "upgraded".

All the + rings are found on new locations.

Thanks ;) I will progress then

6for8

I been itching to start a new build lately. I'm thinking of CleriDex since I've yet to use Miracles in this game. If some kind soul would help me swap some weapons between characters, I would make it worth your while...like really worth it.

I started a faith build at one point and just left it. Need to finish it before the dlc so I would love to steal your gear.

Still weapon tier 1 but if you are starting a new character that should work.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
just started the boreal valley. having a bit of trouble with it. the huge monster kept killing me so i tried to lure it down to the more open area but it seems there is a barrier to stop it going in there. i was trying to use it to protect myself and just go through to attack it but it completely disappeared.

those huge guys with the flame staffs are doing my head in. i've had enough for today. will give it another go later.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Missed this. If you still need help, give me a shout tonight. :)

just started the boreal valley. having a bit of trouble with it. the huge monster kept killing me so i tried to lure it down to the more open area but it seems there is a barrier to stop it going in there. i was trying to use it to protect myself and just go through to attack it but it completely disappeared.

those huge guys with the flame staffs are doing my head in. i've had enough for today. will give it another go later.
It will come back if you return to the bridge, it's a one time spawn with a unique drop so it's worth killing. The hit boxes on this enemy are some of the worst in the game though.

grmlin

It will come back if you return to the bridge, it's a one time spawn with a unique drop so it's worth killing. The hit boxes on this enemy are some of the worst in the game though.

the Duo down in the sewer or whatever that is behind that invisible wall. FUCK THOSE GUYS!

I always take them on one at a time and try not to aggro the other, if I do - I run for the ladder! XD

My first playthrough I fought both at once. That was one of the hardest non-boss encounters in the game.

In subsequent playthroughs I wised up and lured one and a time. They're still tough, but definitely so much easier alone.

*Edit - Also, here's some great fanart I found on Reddit:

A7BXatA.jpg

by artist JLIEN

grmlin

Wohoooo. I was summoned wearing the blue sentinels item

Too bad the summoning failed with an error, of course! 😠

Oh, and I'm done with invasions. This shit is broken, I may try it later when I'm at level 120. It's maybe one out of 20 invasions that is remotely fair, it's a waste of time.

Oh, and I'm done with invasions. This shit is broken, I may try it later when I'm at level 120. It's maybe one out of 20 invasions that is remotely fair, it's a waste of time.

Good luck. SL120 invasions have the highest amount of gank squads, based on my experience. The best place to invade at SL120 is Archdragon Peak; there's fewer gankers and the mobs are strong so you'll get some free host kills. Don't even bother invading the post-Pontiff/Anor Londo area — gank city right there.

the Duo down in the sewer or whatever that is behind that invisible wall. FUCK THOSE GUYS!

I still haven't beaten them. :(

Need to get back into this - never beat (optional bosses)
Champion Gundyr or Nameless King
but with the DLC in October I might wait and just do it all then since the DLC will get me back in the groove, and I won't make the mistake of having to brave through it on NG+ like I did Bloodborne.

Played for two hours, I'm liking it so far even if it is slower and less aggressive than Bloodborne.

Is there a story recap (video or article) of the first two Dark Souls games ? I feel like I'm a little lost. Thanks.

RiggyRob

Explored part of the other side of the Profaned Capital: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZ0RvLUuC8&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=50

There seems to be a weird obsession with
hands in the Profaned Capital. There's The Ring/The Grudge creatures with their flailing limbs, and then there's the hand-face hippos that seem to be DS3's version of ogres, but they're just so much stranger.

I'm sure we'll figure out why the hand-face hippos are the way they are at some point, but goddamn are they creepy and make no sense.

grmlin

Good luck. SL120 invasions have the highest amount of gank squads, based on my experience. The best place to invade at SL120 is Archdragon Peak; there's fewer gankers and the mobs are strong so you'll get some free host kills. Don't even bother invading the post-Pontiff/Anor Londo area — gank city right there.

Great. It feels like I'm fighting these guys already. Today a naked guy with that dark moon blade spell destroyed me in two hits. With a straight sword. Why am I matched against players like this?

It's terrible that I don't get any rewards killing invaders myself, as there is no other way than farming then.

I really hope the DLC will increase the player base by a large margin so that I will be summoned at some day, too.

So i've always played Souls games as a melee, 2h usually, and i'm starting my second run of DS3 as a caster.

How do people play this style, especially bosses without a reticle? I just beat the first Curse-Rotted Greatwood only with the help of co-op.

Any advice on casters in general?

Tarkus

I started a faith build at one point and just left it. Need to finish it before the dlc so I would love to steal your gear.

Still weapon tier 1 but if you are starting a new character that should work.

Missed this. If you still need help, give me a shout tonight. :)
Thanks, but I'm going to have to wait until this weekend. I still have to figure a few things out with the direction of this build, as it will probably be my PvP and dlc build for a while.

Melchiah

Goddam, I hated those bastards. Died there more times than anywhere else in the game, eventhough I fought them one by one.

Well the
princes
were pretty underwelming for me.

It's a cool fight, but pretty easy. I managed to clear that on the second try. Although, I was accompanied by a NPC, who surprisingly survived the fight as well.

I kinda liked the additional challenge in the last boss fight. Trying to
keep Yuria alive to get her gear in the shrine afterwards
made it pretty hard. I actually restarted the fight a couple of times because
she died
, eventhough it went fine otherwise.

I was wondering, which save file I should use to start the DLC; the one before the last boss, or the one after it? The latter is still on NG as well. I suspect the absence of some NPCs would affect the DLC. I wish I had a third save file before any of the NPC quests came to an end.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Agreed. Very cool boss visually, but overall very easy and not that bombastic. Only died once to them during my three runs.
It's a cool fight, but pretty easy.
If they're "very easy" then what the hell do you consider hard? Christ...

Although, I was accompanied by a NPC
Oh.

Seriously this should totally disqualify anyone from commenting on a boss's level of difficulty, come on.

Melchiah

If they're "very easy" then what the hell do you consider hard? Christ...

Oh.

Seriously this should totally disqualify anyone from commenting on a boss's level of difficulty, come on.

Wrong.
Champion Gundyr
was very hard for me even with NPC. Your subjective point of view doesn't define the experience for everyone, nor gives you the right to disqualify anything.

Other bosses that I found hard were
Abyss Watchers, Pontiff Sulyvahn, and Nameless King.
I fought
Aldrich and Dancer
alone, and found them pretty easy, eventhough for some they were exactly the opposite. Just like the difficulty varied between the players in Bloodborne. Despite of the relative ease of those two fights, I'm not going and touting that my personal experience is the defining one.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
When judging the difficulty of a boss in those games, it absolutely should be based on a solo experience. Some bosses become absolutely trivial when their attention gets divided and they can't punish your healing, attacks taken during non-openings (but you're OK 'cause they were distracted), etc.

It's not to say that it's bad or wrong to coop (or use AI NPCs) if you want to play that way. I coop all the time myself. But it does not represent the boss's true difficulty and it's far too big of a variable.

Of course other things do vary from player to player and there isn't a universal truth, but a solo experience is at least a damn baseline.

Melchiah

When judging the difficulty of a boss in those games, it absolutely should be based on a solo experience. Some bosses become absolutely trivial when their attention gets divided and they can't punish your healing, attacks taken during non-openings (but you're OK 'cause they were distracted), etc.

It's not to say that it's bad or wrong to coop (or use AI NPCs) if you want to play that way. I coop all the time myself. But it does not represent the boss's true difficulty and it's far too big of a variable.

Of course other things do vary from player to player and there isn't a universal truth, but a solo experience is at least a damn baseline.

Some of them become a bit trivial, like
Yhorm with Siegward
, but
Champion Gundyr
certainly punished me for healing despite of the NPC companion, who died around 2/3 of the match. That particular boss actually seemed nearly impossible for me, even with NPC. That last third of the match was the death of me several times.
EDIT: That's one of the reasons for why I consider
Princes
easier, as my NPC companion survived the fight. That never happened with CG.

I had the most problems with bosses that were fast and aggressive, even more so than in Bloodborne, where
Pthumerian Descendant and Orphan of Kos
whupped my ass repeatedly, as DS3's combat and healing mechanics made them harder for me. Not to mention, that the lack of dedicated healing button swayed me from using any item puffs during the boss fights. I didn't use any weapon arts during my playthrough for the same reason, and I didn't learn how to parry either.

Your initial post, regarding disqualifying others from even commenting, just seemed like a textbook example of the arrogant attitude among the series' fanbase, that's often criticized and seen as a turn-off.

grmlin

My first playthrough was offline and solo. Some of the bosses... Oh boy.

I'm using NPC summons this time and some of the bosses are really easy now. The one at the smoldering lake for example. Or the watchers.

Top Bottom