• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

The thing about co-op in Souls is the boss AI isn't really good enough to handle it. So having summons can often make a lot of bosses completely trivial because you can just wail on the boss or pew-pew spells from afar whilst the boss is all over your co-op buddy/NPC.

I did TONS of co-op/pvp in DS1 especially, so I'm not knocking co-op and never do I tell people how something "should" be played - just saying it does effect the difficulty because the AI can't really handle it. At worst all you have to do with a co-op summon is tank Estus a hit or two or fall back until the boss attention is on your summon again.

Melchiah

The thing about co-op in Souls is the boss AI isn't really good enough to handle it. So having summons can often make a lot of bosses completely trivial because you can just wail on the boss or pew-pew spells from afar whilst the boss is all over your co-op buddy/NPC.

I did TONS of co-op/pvp in DS1 especially, so I'm not knocking co-op and never do I tell people how something "should" be played - just saying it does effect the difficulty because the AI can't really handle it. At worst all you have to do with a co-op summon is tank Estus a hit or two or fall back until the boss attention is on your summon again.

Yeah, there's no denying that co-op makes the boss fights easier, but you can still compare their difficulty. Expecially when you've fought the bosses in question on co-op. For example, I can compare
Aldrich, Dancer and Dragonslayer Armour
because I fought all of them solo, and
Abyss Watchers, Pontiff Sulyvahn, Champion Gundyr and Princes
because I fought all of them with a NPC companion. Of those four I fought with a partner, the last was the easiest, and perhaps surprisingly, three of them were harder than any of those I fought solo.

Is anyone else having trouble summoning or invading? I can summon a phantom, his sign will disappear then after about a minute it will say it failed. When I use the red eye orb it doesn't even say 'searching for a world to invade'?

Is it just me? My network is fine.

grmlin

Is anyone else having trouble summoning or invading? I can summon a phantom, his sign will disappear then after about a minute it will say it failed. When I use the red eye orb it doesn't even say 'searching for a world to invade'?

Is it just me? My network is fine.

I thought this is the state of PvP/Coop in this game? I would say 70% of my invasions/summons fail with an error. When they work, it's fine most of the time though.

But the music was not. Glorious piece.

Yes, the music was good.

How so? One of the hardest bosses for me...

It was very easy for me, i beat them on my second try because in my first attempt i was too confident after the very easy first phase ( started using too many estus when unnecessary or attacking even when i knew he was going to do a second attack following the first, thus getting damage ecc.). The second time i went in with my black knight greataxe two handed and destroyed them, their moveset was too limited and predictable imho. I literally just dodged the sword attack and hit him with the roll attack, repeat.
I think the best parts of this boss are the design and a good soundtrack. The fight itself was pretty disappointing.

In my case wasn't that hard, but I died a few times until I learned all the patterns. But I also I have to say the music was very good :D.

Very easy patterns for me. Sword attack, double sword attack, aoe (?) sword attack and the 2 projectile attacks in 2 phase.

Agreed. Very cool boss visually, but overall very easy and not that bombastic. Only died once to them during my three runs.

Exactly the same for me ;)

Goddam, I hated those bastards. Died there more times than anywhere else in the game, eventhough I fought them one by one.

For me, the most difficult fight was the
nameless king

It's a cool fight, but pretty easy. I managed to clear that on the second try. Although, I was accompanied by a NPC, who surprisingly survived the fight as well.

Not really that cool (for me) to be honest. There are cooler bossfights in this game.

Now only the final boss remain.

Melchiah

For me, the most difficult fight was the
nameless king

Not really that cool (for me) to be honest. There are cooler bossfights in this game.

Now only the final boss remain.

I upgraded Havel great shield just for that, and it's the only fight I went through with a human partner. Funnily enough, I was first summoned to help someone else, and managed to helped him/her beat it, eventhough I hadn't done so before.

My favorites are probably
Dancer, Curse-Rotted Greatwood, and Ancient Wyvern.
Yeah, I like gimmick bosses.

I upgraded Havel great shield just for that, and it's the only fight I went through with a human partner. Funnily enough, I was first summoned to help someone else, and managed to helped him/her beat it, eventhough I hadn't done so before.

My favorites are probably
Dancer, Curse-Rotted Greatwood, and Ancient Wyvern.
Yeah, I like gimmick bosses.

Well, gimmick boss can be cool if well done ;)

I think my favourite fight in this game is probably
Champion Gundyr

Melchiah

Well, gimmick boss can be cool if well done ;)

I think my favourite fight in this game is probably
Champion Gundyr

True. =)

When I think about that boss, I think about all the times it took me to beat it, and all the frustration it lead to, so I can't say I would hold it dear. Eventhough it felt good to finally beat it, the frustration is what I remember most vividly. I think I might have liked that kind of boss more in Bloodborne.

grmlin

Oh
Nameless King
, that boss was a test of my patience! I still think he is pretty ridiculous tbh.

Champion Gundyr
was pretty easy though once I learned
how to bait that one jumping attack that is easily parried.

Anyway, Bloodborne is still the king of bosses for me.

Oh
Nameless King
, that boss was a test of my patience! I still think he is pretty ridiculous tbh.

Champion Gundyr
was pretty easy though once I learned
how to bait that one jumping attack that is easily parried.

Anyway, Bloodborne is still the king of bosses for me.

Same here.

BUT i think the game with more variety in that regard is still Demon's Souls :D

Never owned a PS3, so no Demon Souls here :(

We can just hope

8YugZwf.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Your initial post, regarding disqualifying others from even commenting, just seemed like a textbook example of the arrogant attitude among the series' fanbase, that's often criticized and seen as a turn-off.
Oh please. We were discussing baseline difficulty of bosses, not choices of playing styles or whatever. Like I said, I coop all the time and have nothing against it, but saying "this was easy, btw I had help" always get my eyes rolling. Your post is a textbook example of people whining about so-called "arrogant attitude" when it was nothing of the sort. :p If saying something reasonable and uncontroversial like "you cannot accurately determine a boss's difficulty without having fought them solo yourself" is so toxic, then, whatever, man, I'm sorry you're so easily "turned off"... xD

Exactly. I've solo'd and coop'ed every single boss in the series (except those you literally can't, like Darklurker). Even Orphan of Kos or the Nameless King are fairly easy with coop help. Poor Lady Maria becomes a joke. :( There are a few bosses were coop partners do not help much or can even hinder (Ancient Dragon, Aldia, defiled Amygdala), but they are rare, and that's because their attack patterns do not rely on aggro but on AOE and coop buffs their HP.

How cool would it be if in future games, coop would add new attack patterns to bosses? I think the only thing I saw that came close to that is the two tigers in DS2, I'm 90% sure the second one comes down much faster when fighting in coop than solo, regardless of the damage you deal the first one. But other than that I never noticed the boss AI changing at all. That'd be so awesome, like if they tried more AOE attacks or hell even summoned an additional enemy and such (which I normally don't like much but in a 2v1 scenario it's only fair!).

RiggyRob

Picked up the
Jailer's Keyring
in the Profaned Capital: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=7R8zzkwfoMo

I'm interested to see what it unlocks in Irithyll Dungeon, if only so that we can be done with the place and never go back. I think Pimmsy likes the Profaned Capital, mainly because of the sheer amount of puns she can come up with.

And in regards to difficulty of bosses, it's all relative really - I died to the Deacons of the Deep but got Pontiff Sulyvahn in one try. Everyone handles situations differently, that's why it's interesting to watch people take on bosses in Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

grmlin

Killed the pontiff yesterday and immediately tried the red sign soapstone. Worked like a charm, NO MORE INVASIONS!

This will not solve the summoning problem though. I still was never summoned for the blue or watchdogs. And I did wear the blue covenant during my whole playthrough in PvE and the watchdogs while farming the items in front of the abyss watchers boss room. They seem to have a decent drop rate though and I will finish this when I found the Mimic's head.

grmlin

Tried more red sign soapstone summons today but it's broken somehow. All summons fail and the one (out of 20 or something tries) that worked was a teleporting laggy mess.

I'm sad, I really try to do PvP but it's like the game does not want me to :-(

Tarkus

Tried more red sign soapstone summons today but it's broken somehow. All summons fail and the one (out of 20 or something tries) that worked was a teleporting laggy mess.

What system and what soul level? I rarely get a failed to summon on PS4 at 120. Teleporting...well that's another matter.

grmlin

60ish on PS4. It worked 2 times, the third was the lag fest.

That was at least half an hour of tries, maybe 20 or more failed summons. In both directions.

I'll hard restart my PS4 tomorrow as I read that this might help. My connection itself is fine.

Cat Party

I play on XB1 and sometimes summoning won't work for a few days. I have no idea why that is.

grmlin

I play on XB1 and sometimes summoning won't work for a few days. I have no idea why that is.

Hm, thats not good. It would explain why I have no luck getting summoned though.

I did some more research on the Watchdogs of Farron and Blue Sentinels summons and it looks like it's broken for most people. Some report luck with a complete new account, others with really low soul levels. Either way it's completely stupid and extremely disappointing that they added this non working bullshit into their game.

I think I'll try to push a char to lvl 20 tonight, rush him/her to farron keep, and give it a try again.

Massa

60ish on PS4. It worked 2 times, the third was the lag fest.

That was at least half an hour of tries, maybe 20 or more failed summons. In both directions.

I'll hard restart my PS4 tomorrow as I read that this might help. My connection itself is fine.

Your connection may appear to be fine but maybe your router is blocking some ports used by the game. Try setting up a DMZ for your PS4, maybe that could help.

RiggyRob

We freed Karla from Irithyll Dungeon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=kHp1evxTfu0

At least we got an NPC out of it and we never have to go back! Shame we're not doing a pyromancy/dark pyromancy build, she could've been a lot more useful.

As a magic user, I'm not surprised she was locked up, and I'm guessing her origin as 'a child of the Abyss' is the reason why she's managed to last this long locked up. She's got a proper witchy outfit and laid-back pose as well, I like it.

On the other hand,
Irina has now disappeared from Firelink Shrine. As a blind person, you'd think she wouldn't move at all! Eygon's not going to be best pleased with us.

grmlin

Your connection may appear to be fine but maybe your router is blocking some ports used by the game. Try setting up a DMZ for your PS4, maybe that could help.

thats a good idea, I'll do that.

It does not explain why PvP worked better some days earlier. I had connection errors, too, but not at this rate...

Started the game yesterday and got to the second boss (the tree one) who I couldn't beat on my first try. I think I'll check the sewers first. The game looks gorgeous on 1440p. Its visuals honestly blow my mind.

Tarkus

thats a good idea, I'll do that.

It does not explain why PvP worked better some days earlier. I had connection errors, too, but not at this rate...
Turn matchmaking off if you have it on. Try opening ports up. There are some specific ones. I don't know what I'm talking about with this stuff but you can find tutorial videos on how to do it with your router.

Seriously, <10% of summons fail for me on PS4 with the red soapstone.

grmlin

Turn matchmaking off if you have it on. Try opening ports up. There are some specific ones. I don't know what I'm talking about with this stuff but you can find tutorial videos on how to do it with your router.

Seriously, <10% of summons fail for me on PS4 with the red soapstone.

I played with the network options but it did not help. it's pretty weird, because if it works, it works good. That's why I think it's not a problem on my side, but who knows.

Invasions are failing all the time, too. I somewhat thought thats normal as players may exit the game to prevent the invasion. But that makes no sense using the red soapstone ;)

Tarkus

I played with the network options but it did not help. it's pretty weird, because if it works, it works good. That's why I think it's not a problem on my side, but who knows.

Invasions are failing all the time, too. I somewhat thought thats normal as players may exit the game to prevent the invasion. But that makes no sense using the red soapstone ;)
Are you in Siberia? :p

The Pontiff bonfire is mostly sl120. Maybe that's it. A +10 weapon might help as well.

Also try High Wall of Lothric bonfire.

grmlin

Haha, no, nowhere near Siberia :D

I have not problems finding signs or getting summoned. The multiplayer itself fails, the connection.

The game says: invading/whatever another world... does nothing, and fails with an error.

I played BF1 Betas without any problems for example...

What's the lowest level you have beaten DS3 at yet?

So far my first play through appears to be my lowest. I finished the game at lvl72 and it was tough, but a lot of that was build choices. I focused on being average in too many places and late game I suffered for that.

kaos.

What's the lowest level you have beaten DS3 at yet?

So far my first play through appears to be my lowest. I finished the game at lvl72 and it was tough, but a lot of that was build choices. I focused on being average in too many places and late game I suffered for that.

Like all the previous souls games, DS3 is "easily"* beatable at level 1. ;)

EDIT: * ok, maybe "easily" is not the correct adverb, let's say that is a lot easier than many people could think.

Cat Party

Well I'm a dumbass. I was going through Lothric Castle in NG+, wondering why all of the sudden my attacks seemed so anemic. I got invaded and couldn't finish off the invader either. I assumed it was some min/maxer who had insane resistance. Nope. When I switched back from the Stormruler after beating Yhorm, I equipped a vanilla Black Knight Greatsword, rather than my +5 version. About 300 difference in the AR.

That invader must have been so confused as to why I dealt so little damage, lol.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
cleared a good bit of boreal valley today! looking at the maps it looked huge but it actually feels quite small. once again the design of the map is fantastic and i love unlocking the shortcuts.

i've cleared everything up until the fog gate. can't remember what level i am but i've started putting some upgrades into attunement just so i can use more weapon arts. really wish i had started using them sooner.

i killed the npc at the church bonfire who is disguised as a statue. so far i've been following anri's quest line. i'm not feeling confident about this boss fight but i'll jump in and see how i do. after this i'll head to anor londo then return to go to the dungeons.

EDIT: beat the boss + finished the area. god those archers on the roofs gave me flashbacks of anor londo...which is where i have now arrived. regarding Anri, i last spoke to her at the Church of Yorshka bonfire (i killed horace in smouldering lake) but apparently she was to appear just before heading to anor londo but i couldn't find her. there was some stairs and flowers...has she died or will she appear in anor londo?

RiggyRob

Found Irina again, just outside Firelink Shrine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=-R3pHaaxDfM

We are just on a roll with
killing NPCs in this playthrough, although thankfully Irina stayed alive somehow. I imagine if she ever leaves again she will end up dying since Eygon isn't around to protect her anymore.

Also, is Irina Eygon's sister? We thought it at the time but looking again, the Moaning Shield mentions his sister was older than him, and Irina doesn't seem all that old honestly.

Also backtracked a little to Farron Keep and picked up the Sage's Scroll (useless to us now) and Pharis's Hat and Bow, which seems baller as fuck!

grmlin

I did Beat Yhorm and managed to loose Siegward doing so. Damn it.

Now I'm helping others with him and it's pretty amazing that
so many try to fight him with normal weapons.
Maybe these are challenge runs or something but why would they summon me then?

Tarkus

Can anyone on PS4 help me transfer some weapons to my new CleriDex build? It's low level, <35. If you have a meta level build, I can make it worth your time x10.

How do you "prep builds" for the DLC without knowing what the new gear/content will be like?

They're not specifically for the DLC, they're just builds I hadn't made yet or old ones that I refined because I got the Dark Souls itch again. They might all be trash for the DLC content, but at least this way I'll have several to choose from.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ah, fair enough.

I just learned that I might (big ass "maybe" here) be in... Japan (!!) when the DLC hits. Noooo I'll not play it on day one, dammit ;)
jk

6for8

I did Beat Yhorm and managed to loose Siegward doing so. Damn it.

Now I'm helping others with him and it's pretty amazing that
so many try to fight him with normal weapons.
Maybe these are challenge runs or something but why would they summon me then?

Could be the first time fighting that boss, I used a dark sword.

Can anyone on PS4 help me transfer some weapons to my new CleriDex build? It's low level, <35. If you have a meta level build, I can make it worth your time x10.

I still have my lvl 8 weapon +1 if that works. I could stock your progenitor as well, I have most boss weapons from ng+++ at lvl 0.

Psn id is in profile. I should be on for a few hours playing drunk souls.

grmlin

Could be the first time fighting that boss, I used a dark sword.

I still have my lvl 8 weapon +1 if that works. I could stock your progenitor as well, I have most boss weapons from ng+++ at lvl 0.

Psn id is in profile. I should be on for a few hours playing drunk souls.
Sure. Anyway, a great place to quickly get sunlight medals.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i've cleared anor londo now and just trying to help anri with aldrich but really not getting anywhere. think i've done it about 10 times.

what i'm doing is trying to get behind and hit the tail. i'm using green blossom and applying lighting or fire. really doesn't help i only get 5 estus. i can get to the point where he starts using fire thats where i seem to die.

i'm dreading having to fight him again on my own.

RiggyRob

Found Leonhard skulking around in Rosaria's Bedchamber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=1xtqmHp6v9o

I don't think we've ever
met Yellowfinger? He sounds like an important part of Rosaria's covenant, and being referenced directly in Leonhard's dialogue makes me think we should have seen him by now.

It's different when item descriptions talk about people like the princess of Oolacile or the Archdeacon McDonnell because they're most likely dead or unable to be interacted with in anyway, or they're being vague to the point that they could be referring to several different people.

grmlin

So. To sum things up, I really regret starting PvP in this game as its so broken.

Why do I have to play against people that kill me in 2 hits and I do like 300 damage with a critical? That's plain stupid. Maybe I'm at a really unfortunate level but man is my enjoyment of this game on a way downhill now.

That and the pure technical disaster this multiplayer mode is. I tried everything now but the connection fails so often to me some nights, not fun.

Top Bottom