• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Obscura

Found Leonhard skulking around in Rosaria's Bedchamber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=1xtqmHp6v9o

I don't think we've ever
met Yellowfinger? He sounds like an important part of Rosaria's covenant, and being referenced directly in Leonhard's dialogue makes me think we should have seen him by now.

It's different when item descriptions talk about people like the princess of Oolacile or the Archdeacon McDonnell because they're most likely dead or unable to be interacted with in anyway, or they're being vague to the point that they could be referring to several different people.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Yellowfinger+Heysel

She invades as a red phantom in Road of Sacrifices and Farron Keep. Killing her for the crown is always one of my early game goals.

I've been puzzling out a theory concerning Yellowfinger Heysel & the fungal stalks on
Oceiros

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/50rdch/theory_on_fungal_stalks/?st=ispjwleq&sh=b41bbbbe

They also resemble Cordyceps, a fungal parasite, so linking the Xanthous King with the Parasitic Wall Hugger still makes sense.

jIIzXjY.png

It's not air tight, but its fun to puzzle out.

I made it to Farron's Keep and it's basically another Blight Town/5-2 Demon's Souls level, eh? Really unfun. Should I follow the path past the Crystal Sage? I killed some skeletons in the area behind her but eventually died as I didn't find their summoner.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I made it to Farron's Keep and it's basically another Blight Town/5-2 Demon's Souls level, eh? Really unfun. Should I follow the path past the Crystal Sage? I killed some skeletons in the area behind her but eventually died as I didn't find their summoner.

do cathedral of the deep (area after the sage) and then come back to farron's keep. you will need to go through it eventually. it's really not too bad an area. i got through it rather quickly and i'd say it's easier than the cathedral.

All right, thank you. I'll do that. Actually, I really really enjoyed Blight Town when I played it in 60fps on PC. It was legit dogshit on 360 but frankly, one of my favourite levels in Dark Souls when not impeded by consistent stuttering.

RiggyRob

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Yellowfinger+Heysel

She invades as a red phantom in Road of Sacrifices and Farron Keep. Killing her for the crown is always one of my early game goals.

Ahhh, that makes sense since I don't think I had an ember during the Road of Sacrifices. We picked up the Xanthous Ashes in Irithyll Dungeon which gives the Xanthous set, and that appears to be what she wears, so I guess that body could have been her.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not sure if just lucky, or because of the patch, but farming Proofs of Concord Kept took me 3 hours (3 Kevin Smith smodcasts length), while Vertebra Shackles took me 3 days (including a day with 0 drops).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Everyones going through Dark Souls 3 while I'm stuck on Ornstein and Smough in DS1. I've got Dark Souls 3 waiting in the backlog though as soon as I finish DS1.

In time I will join you all in the sun.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It was nice to hear him again! Especially when he's not bitching about DS3.

Impossible. ENB is ALWAYS bitching about DS3. I don't think I've even seen a game this hated by a fanbase. RE6 and FFXIII are better off than it!

Impossible. ENB is ALWAYS bitching about DS3. I don't think I've even seen a game this hated by a fanbase. RE6 and FFXIII are better off than it!

I wouldn't go that far. DS3 is a good game, at least, and most people seem to agree on that (it's standing at 4.5 stars on Steam out of 26,530 reviews). Honestly most of the people I've seen complain about DS3 seem to be suffering from franchise burnout more than anything else. Like the people who bitched about it being too easy — LOL, maybe it's more the fact that you've played hundreds or even thousands of hours over 2-3 Souls games at this point. As a newcomer to the Souls franchise DS3 was definitely a fucking difficult game. And that's not to say there aren't legitimate criticisms to be made about DS3; there are, but it's still an incredible game and is my GOTY by a very wide margin.

grmlin

I started with Bloodborne, tried DS1, it didn't click, and I love DS3.

I enjoyed his Bloodborne let's play a lot! I thought his DS3 playthrough was fine, too.

RiggyRob

Explore the back area after Pontiff Sulyvahn's bonfire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=k0H49ACpntI

Pontiff Sulyvahn didn't like
giants much, did he? I mean we've been killing every one we've found so far as well, but they've always attacked us first. The archer giant in the Undead Settlement seems to be the only friendly living giant alive (a BFG as it were).

The Drang knights used a purple buff on their weapons, which I'm assuming is Dark infusion? You'd think that if they were descendants from the land of the Linking of the Fire they'd use Fire infusion instead.

With them being sellswords, it makes sense that they were hired to kill all of the giants in the area, and I feel like that might be another reference to DS2 in how you killed The Last Giant/The Giant Lord (assuming Drang = Drangleic), but it just confuses me even more as to when DS3 actually takes place.

Not even close, I mean Federation Force is just the latest example of a game worse off than DS3.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Everyones going through Dark Souls 3 while I'm stuck on Ornstein and Smough in DS1. I've got Dark Souls 3 waiting in the backlog though as soon as I finish DS1.

In time I will join you all in the sun.

kill ornstein first. i found the smough was easier to deal with in the second stage than ornstein. of course if you want ornsteins armor you'll need to kill smough first. use the pillars to your advantage for when you need to recover/buff. good luck :)

gaugebozo

I've been puzzling out a theory concerning Yellowfinger Heysel & the fungal stalks on
Oceiros

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/50rdch/theory_on_fungal_stalks/?st=ispjwleq&sh=b41bbbbe

They also resemble Cordyceps, a fungal parasite, so linking the Xanthous King with the Parasitic Wall Hugger still makes sense.

jIIzXjY.png

It's not air tight, but its fun to puzzle out.
Those steps also remind me of the ones on these guys in demon ruins:

Dark-Souls-3-Smouldering-Lake-03.jpg

It might be possible that the certain kinds of fungi are a source of sorcery in the setting, like how in Bloodborne
Master Willem has fungi-esque growths from his back due to his expansion of arcane knowledge

Jombie

More hated than Dark Souls 2?

I simply like 3, but I really don't know where he's coming from in regards to his criticism of it. I just think he has an emotional attachment to Demon's and Dark 1, and he's able to overlook their flaws.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
went through irithyll dungeon. i hate that place. those people with the branding thing who rapidly take away your health in particular. i've got most of the items but i'm not going back there. got to the profaned capital.

in terms of performance, on PC, has anyone had the game completely freeze in this area? i was getting a little bit of stuttering in boreal valley but this is crazy. not sure if it's the game or my PC.

anyway i was trying to fine siegward but no idea how to get to him. can hardly make sense of some of the maps.

gaugebozo

went through irithyll dungeon. i hate that place. those people with the branding thing who rapidly take away your health in particular. i've got most of the items but i'm not going back there. got to the profaned capital.

in terms of performance, on PC, has anyone had the game completely freeze in this area? i was getting a little bit of stuttering in boreal valley but this is crazy. not sure if it's the game or my PC.

anyway i was trying to fine siegward but no idea how to get to him. can hardly make sense of some of the maps.

Siegward:
head down the ladder inside the building where the profaned capital bonfire is. This eventually takes you to a toxic swamp with those freaky long hair bugs. There's a ladder that takes you up the building there. After you fight the sorcerer on the roof, you can jump over the stairs to a hole in the wall that will take you to Siegward. (This isn't the hole that takes you down where the hand monster was).

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
NOOOOO, don't leave
Karla
down in the prison!

i set her free. only just managed it though.

Siegward:
head down the ladder inside the building where the profaned capital bonfire is. This eventually takes you to a toxic swamp with those freaky long hair bugs. There's a ladder that takes you up the building there. After you fight the sorcerer on the roof, you can jump over the stairs to a hole in the wall that will take you to Siegward. (This isn't the hole that takes you down where the hand monster was).

i found him! didn't realise i had to jump. he appeared for the yhorm fight. that was some fight that! i picked up the storm rider (?) that is beside him and that did huge damage to him.

after the fight i was transported to lothric high wall and touched the item behind emma. lost all my souls and that boss hardly took any damage off me. lucky i had some souls in my inventory so managed to lvl up a bit anyway. also finally started using pyromancies.

i'm not looking forward to going back to this boss.

Massa

He didn't have fun with it. Couldn't finish a second playthrough.

He was burned out... from his last podcast on the subject it seemed he liked Dark Souls 3 a lot, just not as much. I only watched his first playthrough and I thought he clearly enjoyed it.

Tarkus

He was burned out... from his last podcast on the subject it seemed he liked Dark Souls 3 a lot, just not as much. I only watched his first playthrough and I thought he clearly enjoyed it.

Oh man. I only watched his first playthrough and he seemed to enjoy it.
In his stream yesterday, he said he didn't have fun. He said some more, but I wasn't paying that much attention...I was getting rekt in Nioh.

He seems to have lost some weight as well.

Aldrich Faithful are a pvp covenant. Nothing more. If you were online through that area, you would have been invaded by more than one person.

There are several things that you're probably not going to figure out without messages. Here is some help with the giant: stop upgrading the storm greatsword, that's not needed. You were correct in needing the sword. Perhaps you should play around with its moveset.

It might be possible that the certain kinds of fungi are a source of sorcery in the setting, like how in Bloodborne
Master Willem has fungi-esque growths from his back due to his expansion of arcane knowledge
Elizabeth, Oolacile. Also a fungi/mushroom link there. And they connected the Xanthous scholars to Oolacile in DS3.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
kill ornstein first. i found the smough was easier to deal with in the second stage than ornstein. of course if you want ornsteins armor you'll need to kill smough first. use the pillars to your advantage for when you need to recover/buff. good luck :)

I actually took out Smough first because he leaves himself so wide open and gets between Ornstein and the player. Ornstein was easy peasy on his own.

grmlin

Woahhh. Holy fucking shit, I was summoned as a blue sentinel or what they are called. Amazing!

Finally!

Oh my. I forgot what an unfun and bad boss Aldrich is. What a boring and bad fight where you have to hope for a nice try.

grmlin

So why can you enter a boss fight while being invaded. That's pretty time consuming to have these invasions where you can't find the host at first and then get kicked out because the boss fight starts.

Btw. Invading at about sl 70 I think is much better. Im still being wiped but more because I don't know how to counter most real players ;-)

Can someone answer a question for me? I'm trying to earn the dark moon covenant proof of a concord kept so I have the sign active. I'm invading at the back of anor londo using the cracked red eye orb, but end up against usually a host and two others and get destroyed. How do I either join the host or become the host? I put down a white soapstone mark at the place where all the fight clubs take place, but nothing happened. Not getting any invaders either. I finished new game +, just mopping up items etc atm. I'm around level 150 give or take.

Best option to get the covenant items?

grmlin

Pray. You can't invade to get the items, you have to be summoned. And that's very rare, at least for me.

You could try to farm the silver Knights. Some post up someone had great success doing so yesterday I think.

RiggyRob

So Rosaria, Mother of Rebirth,
is now dead
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=toV0zhc0yJA

Irony, thy name is thee. Thankfully we can still
do the attribute reallocation, so we could leave the Black Eye Orb alone entirely, but with the parallels between this and Annalise in Bloodborne I think it's worth us investigating.

We're expecting her killer to be Leonhard but we have to go and find him first (more irony, Leonhard looks the most like a Bloodborne hunter and now we're hunting him).

Also discovered the illusory wall in a cathedral and TWO of those frickin' Pontiff beasts in the water dungeon. Archdeacon McDonnell looks surprisingly untouched considering the two beasts here, unless they were guarding him.

Aldrich Faithful are a pvp covenant. Nothing more. If you were online through that area, you would have been invaded by more than one person.

There are several things that you're probably not going to figure out without messages. Here is some help with the giant: stop upgrading the storm greatsword, that's not needed. You were correct in needing the sword. Perhaps you should play around with its moveset.

Cheers for the tip! I think we're going to try and find Aldrich before Yhorm anyway since that seems to be the intended order (or at least it was until Aldrich turned out not to be in the Cathedral of the Deep).

Amirnol

I am looking for something to tide me over until DS3 DLC. Would anyone here like to recommend Salt and Sanctuary? I have been thinking of playing that or Scholar of the First Sin (played the original DS2 and loved it. How different is Scholar?).

Any opinions are appreciated!

Pray. You can't invade to get the items, you have to be summoned. And that's very rare, at least for me.

You could try to farm the silver Knights. Some post up someone had great success doing so yesterday I think.

Well that sucks. I have had a go at the silver nights, just have to stick with it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Can someone answer a question for me? I'm trying to earn the dark moon covenant proof of a concord kept so I have the sign active. I'm invading at the back of anor londo using the cracked red eye orb, but end up against usually a host and two others and get destroyed. How do I either join the host or become the host? I put down a white soapstone mark at the place where all the fight clubs take place, but nothing happened. Not getting any invaders either. I finished new game +, just mopping up items etc atm. I'm around level 150 give or take.

Best option to get the covenant items?

Just farm the 3 knights in Anor Londo. It's honestly not that long. Go to Rosaria, offer up a tongue to respec, get crazy high Intelligence and Soul Spear them to death. If you've got a spare slab, get that sweet Court Sorcerer Staff to + 10.Take about 2 for each knight, and goes super fast. Remember to pop a rusted coin, and to wear your mimic head!

Plus your new build can plow through Nameless King with ease!

Top Bottom