• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i've just got through the grand archives and unlocked the shortcut that activates the lift just before the lothric boss. that takes me right to the door of the archives boss. also have rung the bell in archdragon peak. so i just gotta take on these 2 bosses next. i'm lvl 92 right now. my stats are 30, 14, 30, 28, 30, 25, 9, 9, 7. my weapon is a +10 claymore and +5 shield of want.

am i at a good level to take on these next bosses? i've read nameless king is arguably the hardest boss in the game. looking at the fextra wiki it says the recommended lvl for archives is 65+ and 70+ for the final boss. is that accurate or am i way overlevelled?

RiggyRob

We picked up the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring and defeated Rosaria's killer!

Part 59: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvdn51v2BPI&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=60

I wish we'd found the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring earlier, we didn't realise it was so tantalisingly close in the Firelink Shrine. It's one of those rings that I find difficult to justify taking off, simply because it's so useful.

Part 60: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EG63LGhXL0&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=61

Leonhard's one tough cookie - I think the variety of magic he can use is what makes him dangerous (along with the reduced health and amount of Estus available, of course) - I especially hate the spell that creates 5 magic balls around him that then seem to arbitrarily shoot out at you.

It also looks like giving Rosaria her soul back has changed ABSOLUTELY nothing, just like Annalise in Bloodborne. At least it's one questline we can say we've completed successfully!

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
did it! that's me finished the game.

i have this as my desktop background:

ig503Si.jpg

i started off playing DS1 back in june and now my journey is over. Beat DS1, DS2, DS3 and Bloodborne. absolutely fantastic games. it has been challenging but very enjoyable and satisfying. i've started ng+ but not ready to jump back in just yet. maybe another time. might wait for the inevitable complete edition similar to prepare to die/scholar of the first sin before returning.

Jombie

Created a hollow / bleed and pyro build for the dlc. They certainly don't throw you a bone with attunement in this game.

Hey guys,

I'm playing this after bloodborne + old hunters dlc and even if it is quite different I'm loving it so far

I'm having a little trouble with the
Abyss Watchers
. Do you have any advice ?

I'm playing as a "glass cannon" character : weak armour but fast enough to dodge easily.
Here are my stats :
Vigor 20
Attunement 10
Endurance 15
Vitality 17
Strength 20
Dexterity 16
Intelligence 9
Faith 9
Luck 7

Should I grindo a little bit ? Thanks.

Tarkus

Hey guys,

I'm playing this after bloodborne + old hunters dlc and even if it is quite different I'm loving it so far

I'm having a little trouble with the
Abyss Watchers
. Do you have any advice ?

I'm playing as a "glass cannon" character : weak armour but fast enough to dodge easily.
Here are my stats :
Vigor 20
Attunement 10
Endurance 15
Vitality 17
Strength 20
Dexterity 16
Intelligence 9
Faith 9
Luck 7

Should I grindo a little bit ? Thanks.
What weapon(s) are you using? Your stats seem okay.

Tarkus

Large Sword +3
Physical attack 194
Critical 100
All the rest 0
That's about right for there. You can get your weapon to +4 if you really explore the area. The Abyss Watchers are the first real challenge in the game and represent a turning point. Learn their moves, let them fight, two-hand your weapon, and dodge. Ember up and summon an NPC outside if you need help. I wouldn't summon a real person, as most people will trivialize that boss for you.

That's about right for there. You can get your weapon to +4 if you really explore the area. The Abyss Watchers are the first real challenge in the game and represent a turning point. Learn their moves, let them fight, two-hand your weapon, and dodge. Ember up and summon an NPC outside if you need help. I wouldn't summon a real person, as most people will trivialize that boss for you.
Thanks, I didn't event think about summoning a NPC

Finally beat him. Maybe I'm a little too aggressive yet

RiggyRob

Took down Yhorm the Giant and had a quick glimpse of
the Dancer of the Boreal Valley
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0TjWDhKDA&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=62

So, the Storm Ruler - I know Tarkus gave us some pretty heavy hints about playing around with its moveset, but come on.
A weapon skill that needs to charged for 3 full seconds for it to activate properly, and then use the strong attack for the actual effect? What possessed them to make it that way?

How did they expect you to be able to figure that out while fighting Yhorm for the first time? You have to go into the boss room, read the message, pick up the item, look at its description and then, assuming you've figured out what you need to do, have the space and time to actually charge it and then attack? Baffles me why they thought that was a good idea, and it gets on my nerves when IMO you should at least be able to figure out what you need to do against each boss on your first attempt.

Dancer's sick tho

Tarkus

Took down Yhorm the Giant and had a quick glimpse of
the Dancer of the Boreal Valley
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0TjWDhKDA&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=62

So, the Storm Ruler - I know Tarkus gave us some pretty heavy hints about playing around with its moveset, but come on.
A weapon skill that needs to charged for 3 full seconds for it to activate properly, and then use the strong attack for the actual effect? What possessed them to make it that way?

How did they expect you to be able to figure that out while fighting Yhorm for the first time? You have to go into the boss room, read the message, pick up the item, look at its description and then, assuming you've figured out what you need to do, have the space and time to actually charge it and then attack? Baffles me why they thought that was a good idea, and it gets on my nerves when IMO you should at least be able to figure out what you need to do against each boss on your first attempt.

Dancer's sick tho
Dancer is sick.

Is it OK if I drop subtle hints about areas that you miss? I want you to fight a certain boss.

Rizific

booted up ds3 after a few week break and my two game saves are gone. i was under the impression that my game saves were saved server side? i upgraded my whole pc recently and wiped my previous C drive, but not the drive that steam/ds3 is installed onto. what gives?

booted up ds3 after a few week break and my two game saves are gone. i was under the impression that my game saves were saved server side? i upgraded my whole pc recently and wiped my previous C drive, but not the drive that steam/ds3 is installed onto. what gives?

Sadly Dark Souls games on PC have no cloud saving.

Rizific

Sadly Dark Souls games on PC have no cloud saving.

well that explains it. saves also arent saved to the install dir of the game either, right? does steam default game saves to the os drive? not complaining about another playthrough, but i would have liked to keep those characters =/

well that explains it. saves also arent saved to the install dir of the game either, right? does steam default game saves to the os drive? not complaining about another playthrough, but i would have liked to keep those characters =/

Saves them in...

"C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\DarkSoulsIII"

and yeah it sucks. I learned to back mine up a long time with google. The upside to this is since dark Souls 3 has limited respecs(5 per NG) I use them up then use my backed up character to have basically infinite respecs without having to do another NG+.

RiggyRob

Dancer is sick.

Is it OK if I drop subtle hints about areas that you miss? I want you to fight a certain boss.

If it's in
Archdragon Peak
, don't worry - we've been keeping an eye out for it ever since we saw it listed in some patch notes, and then realised that we probably shouldn't keep reading them as it'll spoil some areas of the game for us.

We'll make sure to not finish the game if we think there's anything major we've missed!

Rizific

Saves them in...

"C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\DarkSoulsIII"

and yeah it sucks. I learned to back mine up a long time with google. The upside to this is since dark Souls 3 has limited respecs(5 per NG) I use them up then use my backed up character to have basically infinite respecs without having to do another NG+.

great. thanks for clearing that up for me. first boss down into my new play through

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Know what I fucking hate? Being in the Blue Sentinel getting summoned to a host who just has a fucking red phantom using meme ass shit builds to make your life miserable.

What the fuck is up with that halberd? It literally stunlocks you forever and then you die. Great fucking game you made, fucking C-Team. Yeah I'm really salty :lol. Oddly enough these kind of events always result in the red phantom mysteriously lagging during every single roll, magically getting out of every backstab and rolling through hits like it was nothing. Meanwhile, you yourself get hit way beyond the weapon reach while rolling. Also why in the hell are there only 2 regions, consisting of Japan and the rest of the god damn world? Why did online take such a huge damn step back from 2? Can From actually develop games or are they just fortunate idiots?

Obviously exaggerating (a bit), I'm kinda salty about the whole ordeal though :lol, I wanna help people, not get fucking rekt by idiots without a life who minmax whatever builds they have just to destroy the experience of others. Red phantoms should just have a timer that sends them home if they don't attack the host within the alloted time.

Edit: So I figured I should post some impressions too while I'm at it ranting. I've been playing for 12 hours and I'm in
Irithyll
seems like the game is kinda, uh, on the short side? Or is the chunk left rather sizable? Overall it's been really fun so far, even with bosses being on the easy side, getting surrounded by 5 rats is a tougher situation than any boss so far :lol. Game's running pretty good on my FX6300 as well, except the aforementioned area which seems to hover around 30 at all times, even
Farron Woods/Keep
ran at a near constant 45. The only time I can get a locked 60 is when I use the binoculars, for some reason, it's kinda weird.

Know what I fucking hate? Being in the Blue Sentinel getting summoned to a host who just has a fucking red phantom using meme ass shit builds to make your life miserable.

What the fuck is up with that halberd? It literally stunlocks you forever and then you die. Great fucking game you made, fucking C-Team. Yeah I'm really salty :lol. Oddly enough these kind of events always result in the red phantom mysteriously lagging during every single roll, magically getting out of every backstab and rolling through hits like it was nothing. Meanwhile, you yourself get hit way beyond the weapon reach while rolling. Also why in the hell are there only 2 regions, consisting of Japan and the rest of the god damn world? Why did online take such a huge damn step back from 2? Can From actually develop games or are they just fortunate idiots?

Obviously exaggerating (a bit), I'm kinda salty about the whole ordeal though :lol, I wanna help people, not get fucking rekt by idiots without a life who minmax whatever builds they have just to destroy the experience of others. Red phantoms should just have a timer that sends them home if they don't attack the host within the alloted time.

Edit: So I figured I should post some impressions too while I'm at it ranting. I've been playing for 12 hours and I'm in
Irithyll
seems like the game is kinda, uh, on the short side? Or is the chunk left rather sizable? Overall it's been really fun so far, even with bosses being on the easy side, getting surrounded by 5 rats is a tougher situation than any boss so far :lol. Game's running pretty good on my FX6300 as well, except the aforementioned area which seems to hover around 30 at all times, even
Farron Woods/Keep
ran at a near constant 45. The only time I can get a locked 60 is when I use the binoculars, for some reason, it's kinda weird.

Switch to medium shield + rapier and own these fools. Don't fight it, become part of the problem. Lol

Drencrom

Okay, so I just finished the game and got the true ending after finally putting aside work and other games to finally finish the game and I must say that this game overall felt... lacklustre?

It's hard to put it into words, but the whole game really felt like a bunch of Dark1/Demon's references and ideas from older Souls games which really bothered me and not many moments or bosses stuck with me compared to Demon's, Dark 1 and Bloodborne. The PvP is probably the best in the series though.

I may seem a bit harsh here, the game was great overall, but it just didn't have that extra that made all the other Souls games (not including Dark Souls 2) special.

What's your most memorable invasion experience?

I've had some great ones, but one in particular stands out off the top of my head:

I invaded the Crucifixion Woods as a Watchdog of Farron and found the host running around killing crabs in the water. I ran up to him and we both bowed before engaging in a duel. After a moment I realized there was another invader there — a red phantom in dragon form named Force (only in hindsight did I realize this was probably a cheeky reference to the band Dragonforce). He just watched at first, but then he started hitting me with the miracle... you guessed it: Force. I was at a bit of a stalemate with the host anyways, so I decided to attack Mr. Dragonforce. Only then did I realize he was a hacker — he couldn't die (just stayed at 1hp no matter how many times I hit him) and could spam miracles ridiculously fast and with no apparent FP cost. After realizing that trying to kill Dragonforce was hopeless, I turned my attention back to the host. It was impossible to fight him though, because Dragonforce was now machine-gun spamming Force and sending the host and me flying every which way. Honestly it was fucking hilarious. Most hackers are super lame griefers, but this one stayed true to his gimmick and made for a memorable invasion.

grmlin

You can hack the online part of the game on PC? I'll stay with my PS4 version then.

Most of my invasions were utter shit. But sometimes you see the potential, when multiple invaders, summons and blue sentinels end in a huge fightclub, while NPC help you wreck them. Too bad this is maybe one out of 20 invasions for me.
The rest is always gank squads and the like, often waiting for you in a cleared level. I normally return into my world instantly then. How boring it must be to do nothing but wait for invaders.

so i'm on my 6th or so playthrough (not all the way i usually start a new one before i get to the final area) and i am having way more trouble finding the Symbol of Avarice this time around. it is just not in any mimic i check, no matter how many Undead Hunter Charms i throw.

anyone know any commonly-missed mimics? i just got to Archdragon Peak after defeating the Twin Princes. so the missing chest could be in almost any area.

time to backtrack!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Probably the cosplay collisions I had with my Artemis Entreri character. Fighting Drizzt, fighting Jaqen H'ghar, etc.
Or all the ones where I won thanks to the Silvercat ring, those are always hilarious. Or by smashing the catacombs bridge and watching the slaughter. Or the gank squad I destroyed last spring in the Catacombs, only to meet the exact same group in the Untended Graves a few months later (and destroying them again).

I should get back into invading... is the online still very active on PS4?

Cat Party

i've just got through the grand archives and unlocked the shortcut that activates the lift just before the lothric boss. that takes me right to the door of the archives boss. also have rung the bell in archdragon peak. so i just gotta take on these 2 bosses next. i'm lvl 92 right now. my stats are 30, 14, 30, 28, 30, 25, 9, 9, 7. my weapon is a +10 claymore and +5 shield of want.

am i at a good level to take on these next bosses? i've read nameless king is arguably the hardest boss in the game. looking at the fextra wiki it says the recommended lvl for archives is 65+ and 70+ for the final boss. is that accurate or am i way overlevelled?

You're never going to feel overleved for the Nameless King. But you're definitely ready to take on the final 3. Good lightning defense is required for the Nameless King, though.

Recently I invaded a proper four man gank squad in the Grand Archives complete with a spamming mage and spamming pyromancer. I was running all over the place dealing what damage I could but I was out of Estus and one hit away from death, so things were looking grim. Out of desperation I switch off my talisman to my shield and parry the greataxe running attack of one of the phantoms. Much to my surprise this beautiful secret red phantom, who had possibly been there hiding the entire time, sprints in out of nowhere and Hornet Ring backstabs the host and one-shots him as I land my riposte, also killing the phantom. Both of our crits were perfectly in sync and thanks to that other red we wound up winning against the odds.

Camaraderie between invaders has always been one of my favourite things in the Souls series, which is why it's always so sad to be attacked by a fellow red when you're both there to get the host. I've come back to invading on PC after a long break and it's been very enjoyable overall.

Cat Party

What's the deal with cowardly invaders, though? I'll always duel the invader straight up, but I go back to a cleared area first. Lots of invaders come in but won't engage, and instead try to get you to go aggro enemies or something. Like, minutes will go by with the invader trying to bait me into certain death. Why play this way?

What's the deal with cowardly invaders, though? I'll always duel the invader straight up, but I go back to a cleared area first. Lots of invaders come in but won't engage, and instead try to get you to go aggro enemies or something. Like, minutes will go by with the invader trying to bait me into certain death. Why play this way?
People play the game differently, it's pretty open ended. Some people want to come in and duel and chalk another win or loss up asap, others have a game plan or want to mess with peoples minds. I think it's the strength of the pvp, as well as the weakness.

Stillmatic

Sorry for the cheese, but I only have the last boss left and am doing some clean up farming. But does anyone have a spare Symbol of Avarice, or Crystal Sage's Rapier? If You're after something and I have it I'd be happy to trade. (PSN: Stillmatic)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sorry for the cheese, but I only have the last boss left and am doing some clean up farming. But does anyone have a spare Symbol of Avarice, or Crystal Sage's Rapier? If You're after something and I have it I'd be happy to trade. (PS4)

I'd give it away for free but I'm on PC :lol. Symbol of Avarice dropped on my very first Mimic.

Jombie

i agree. probably the worst boss in any souls game. it's like whack a mole. just run and kill the red one. don't know what they were thinking.

The score kind of saves it. It's not as bad as Wolnir; you end up chasing his arms around most of the time, and if he randomly summons skeletons you might as well homeward bone.

RiggyRob

Killed the Dancer of the Boreal Valley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=OmWvpJNHwUk

I'm pretty sure she's the toughest boss we've fought so far, can't remember how many attempts it took to beat her, and dat one-hit KO grab move - got damn. I think she's also the most visually pleasing boss in terms of appearance and fluidity, her moveset with both swords has a fantastic aesthetic.

Pimmsy also had the great idea of rolling towards her left arm instead of away from it to avoid the grab, helped a lot on subsequent tries. Using an Ember to increase the total health meant that we could take a hit from it if it ever connected, which was also very useful.

Is Deep Protection any decent? We ended up using it as more of a last resort since we couldn't use Lightning Blade (had to use Gold Pine Resin instead), just wondering whether we should keep it on in future.

DamnNoHtml uploaded a new video showcasing the latest cancer build:

Sellsword Memeblades - Dark Souls III

DamnNoHtml on Reddit said:
Basically this is Oroboro's DMB Sellswords on crack. While his version can do around 1100 damage, which is the perfect amount for gank spanking due to phantom health reductions, this version can do 2000 damage and kill absolutely anyone regardless of their stats or what armor they have, even if they're Embered and they are the host.

The build requires perfect spacing as you will be in RTSR range the entire fight, so if you get hit once, you're dead. However, if you hit them once, they're also dead. Its a great way to practice spacing and its literally a one-shot contest between players.

I don't really know of any way to one-shot someone with as little startup as this combo. Have fun.

Hollycat

Fair warning PS4 players. There's someone hosting a fake fight club outside the pontiff bonfire. He summons one of his friends to fight you and then jumps down and kills you from the waiting area during the fight. I think the hosts name was oobzy or something.

Also in general news geeeze Aldrich's faithful get summoned a lot. I switched to it to get the final sorcery, and I was in the demon ruins by the final ladder to the ballista, I kept getting summoned while climbing and being respawned at the bottom of the ladder :p

grmlin

I'm trying Aldrichs covenant too and I'm again completely underpowered. It's amazing, I don't do any damage and get destroyed by an Estoc with three hits.

What's wrong with the matchmaking in this game?

So many try hards these days.

My most memorable invasion, was the one when in the japanese release, I just destroyed the host of a gank squad with a parry and a hornet ring. The other three phantoms just stood there watching me destroy their friend.

Was the first one I pulled in the game and was incredibly satisfying after so many ganked invasions.

I'm trying Aldrichs covenant too and I'm again completely underpowered. It's amazing, I don't do any damage and get destroyed by an Estoc with three hits.

What's wrong with the matchmaking in this game?

Matchmaking is fine. What's your HP? Must be to low.

Also HP penalty as invader.

grmlin

I equip all the covenants during pve hoping they work maybe once a day... it's pretty frustrating if you don't stand a chance then because you invade someone with 4 buddies waiting for you. I really don't understand what the developers were thinking building this.

Sorry, but matchmaking is broken as fuck if all you do getting summoned is wasting your time because you don't have a chance

Edit: what happens if a level 80 coops with a level 180?

I equip all the covenants during pve hoping they work maybe once a day... it's pretty frustrating if you don't stand a chance then because you invade someone with 4 buddies waiting for you. I really don't understand what the developers were thinking building this.

Sorry, but matchmaking is broken as fuck if all you do getting summoned is wasting your time because you don't have a chance

Edit: what happens if a level 80 coops with a level 180?

He gets his chara and weapon stats scaled accordingly to the level 80 player.

Sorry, I thought you mean matchmaking is fucked in the sense of pairing you with high level characters, the game is prepared for that. Not for the ganked fest, that's working as intended.

On the autosummon Aldritch area is the best to invade, you should get help from other fellow covenant brothers to make the battle a bit more balanced. Remember to use your surroundings and enemies in your advantage too.

grmlin

I tried Aldrich invasions maybe 15 times now. Not a single victory. I know I'm still a noob, but fighting 4 enemies in a cleared area is impossible. I got help once by another invader but still, this area is way to open and easily cleared, not much you can use to your advantage. They jump on you together and I'm dead in a heartbeat.

Maybe a player with some mad PvP skills can pull this off, but I'm just a casual player trying to enjoy my time with the game...

BTW I'm at level 84 with 30 vitality.

Amirnol

Cathedral of the Deep was a really awesome part of the game. Too bad the boss was a pushover.
One of my very few disappointments with DS3. I expected an amazing boss to top an area as impressive as that. Lore-wise the Deacons are interesting but a better fight could've been devised, I think.

Gorillaz

Mentioned it in the sales thread but, I beat the game already have yet to do a new game plus and saw that the whole game plus dlc was up for grabs for the full 60. Thinking about just getting it but my question

is PVP invasions and all that stuff still popular? realistically people know how big the community was in the first 2 especially 1 but I'm interested

Hollycat

Yeah the only times I've managed to beat a group of three or four co opers have been when I got lucky with a force miracle, scared the bejezus out of them with status effects so they roll off an edge themselves, trick them into running into some enemies and taking them apart while they dodge attacks, and only once or twice have I managed to take on four people at once.

It really does feel bad getting summoned into a world in Farron or Londo and then recognizing the name as a group of gamers who already destroyed you earlier, have already cleared the area, and already know some of your special tricks. If it werent for all the ledges to jump off of and knock people off, I wouldn't bother with even trying against thanks.

Top Bottom