• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Trogdor1123

Before ng+?

Killing all the bosses is a must. If you are having problems with a certain boss/area, put your sign down and help others. Good practice and you will meet people that will help you.

-Weapons and gear that you use should be +9. How many slabs did you pick up? 8 available and 3 (?) more in the DLC.

Did you pick up the hornet ring? Nice to have and you can even use it for the nameless king fight.

If it's ps4, you can add me (id in profile) to help with the king.
Thanks!

I think I have about 4 slabs but I think I have used 2. One for the dark sword and one for pharis black bow. What other weapons should I use for the other infusions? I do have the hornet ring. I don't have the dlc.

I am too but ps4, I'll add you when I log on next

zarnold56

So put in some time last night with this game, and I just cannot get a good feel for it like I did with Bloodborne. I tried the herald and mercenary classes, and struggled with the first boss on both. Dual wielding seems kind of worthless compared to BB due to the roll being too slow. The shield/spear combo I got better with, but the 2nd phase of the first boss is so annoying with it's size.

I plan on giving it another go tonight, but this feels like my other times trying to get into Dark Souls games. It might just be too slow for me to be decent at.

Sarcasm

DS2 is slow. This is just cautious. BB is faster, but I wouldn't call DS3 slow. Yeah sure you don't get a small reward for attacking immediately.

kris.

Banned
I need some advice. I'm trying to roll a dex/pyro build didn't plan it out very well, I think. I just got to the Chapel of the Deep but I feel so horribly underpowered. I've got a +3 crystal uchigatana that I hate, I'm alternating between fireball and HSA for magic, and I get cut down super easily. I'm bored at work so I don't have my stats handy but yeah, should I keep pressing forward or redo this character and do something different? I'm not super familiar with sorceries and pyromancies in DS3 so I don't know what's good and what sucks.

I keep trying to transform attack with the Sellsword Twinblades using L1, rather than switching with the triangle/Y button, heh. I guess they remind me of the Blade of Mercy (minus the godly stab).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Ohhh, the area after Sulvayhn seems like a covenant invasion PvP area. That's why I keep getting bum rushed every time I walk in there while embered.

God PvP can be so fucking boring. Dude with full gear and either magic or a greatsword comes in and either spams shit at you, or tries to land a big staggering hit on you so that he can R1 you to death. Then I try to do the same thing, but I don't have the stamina to kill with one stamina bar's worth of R1s. So either of us roll away between attacks, and chug estus. There was this one dude who just ran away endlessly, spamming magic at me from range or trying to stagger me to death if I got close.

I just wanna get to the next area dude. I don't even care about fighting you.

6for8

Thanks!

I think I have about 4 slabs but I think I have used 2. One for the dark sword and one for pharis black bow. What other weapons should I use for the other infusions? I do have the hornet ring. I don't have the dlc.

I am too but ps4, I'll add you when I log on next

Infusions can be complicated and used with considertion given to your stats. For example, if your strength is high the dark sword should be heavy. Having another dark sword infused with fire or chaos is helpful, multiple types of enemies are really weak to fire. You can send a pic of your stats later. The blacksmith gives a preview of your damage that can help you decide what is best just remember that split damage has two layers of defence to go through.

So put in some time last night with this game, and I just cannot get a good feel for it like I did with Bloodborne. I tried the herald and mercenary classes, and struggled with the first boss on both. Dual wielding seems kind of worthless compared to BB due to the roll being too slow. The shield/spear combo I got better with, but the 2nd phase of the first boss is so annoying with it's size.

I plan on giving it another go tonight, but this feels like my other times trying to get into Dark Souls games. It might just be too slow for me to be decent at.

The herald starting spear is shit. Many of the DS3 bosses will string multiple attacks together so a shield, by itself, will not work. Rolling is best even if you can't spam it like you can in bloodborne.

For the first boss, parry his first form and burn the second. If your shield can't parry, use thy hand.

I need some advice. I'm trying to roll a dex/pyro build didn't plan it out very well, I think. I just got to the Chapel of the Deep but I feel so horribly underpowered. I've got a +3 crystal uchigatana that I hate, I'm alternating between fireball and HSA for magic, and I get cut down super easily. I'm bored at work so I don't have my stats handy but yeah, should I keep pressing forward or redo this character and do something different? I'm not super familiar with sorceries and pyromancies in DS3 so I don't know what's good and what sucks.

You can respec soon, no need to start over. Usually no need to respec anyway unless dumped everything into luck.

Even on my builds that I dumped everything into INT, I rarely use crystal weapons. If you are a dex/pyro, your uchigatana should be sharp unless I missed that you can buff a crystal weapon with magic.

kris.

Banned
You can respec soon, no need to start over. Usually no need to respec anyway unless dumped everything into luck.

Even on my builds that I dumped everything into INT, I rarely use crystal weapons. If you are a dex/pyro, your uchigatana should be sharp unless I missed that you can buff a crystal weapon with magic.

Ohhh yeah, I forgot about respeccing. I went with crystal because it scales with INT and that's what I'm dumping most of my stats into. Didn't even think about going sharp. I'll check that out tonight.

N° 2048

So I was fighting Ancient Wyvern and I'm LVL 98.

My attacks only did 38 DMG, wtf? Using Astora 10+ sword, why? Then again I have no idea what I am doing in terms of specs. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing 80% of the time in this game.

I had some co-op help and we got him to half way health then my co-op partners disappeared and suddenly Wyvern's health just DROPPED from half way to 0 and I 'beat him'.

Bug? Oh well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

My attacks only did 38 DMG, wtf? Using Astora 10+ sword, why? Then again I have no idea what I am doing in terms of specs. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing 80% of the time.

I had some co-op help and we got him to half way health then my co-op partners disappeared and suddenly Wyvern's health just DROPPED from half way to 0 and I 'beat him'.

Oh well.
Sigh, and I thought the plethora of dev messages was overkill...

plunging attack
plunging attack
plunging attack

6for8

Sigh, and I thought the plethora of dev messages was overkill...

plunging attack
plunging attack
plunging attack

I even got that one and I died to 4k 3 times before it dawned on me that I must be doing something wrong. My default move to cutscenes and dialogue is to hit x and skip it.

kris.

Banned
What does this mean?

I'm super dumb when it comes to this game lol

if you really want the fight spoiled

i mean here's ur warning

just sayin

run past the wyvern, take a left, and follow that path to go above the wyvern. find a spot to jump and use a plunging attack to KILL IT IN ONE HIT BABYYY.

My attacks only did 38 DMG, wtf? Using Astora 10+ sword, why? Then again I have no idea what I am doing in terms of specs. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing 80% of the time in this game.

Bug? Oh well.

+1 wasted boss slot with Wolnir, Deacons and Yhorm

They really should stop with the gimmick fights.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Wolnir had a "soup ahead" sign in front of his
skull chalice
when I first got to him.

That made the entire boss fight worth it.

KarmaCow

I get summoned a ton! Try Grand Archives. Yea I am on PC.

Welp I got to 110 after selling and using a bunch of shit as well a ton of grinding and got no summons through out that entire time. Fortunately I managed to get up to 25 Proofs in that same time so I should be good with the 6 from the subsequent NG+ runs.

All I need now is 30 Vertebrae, anyone on PC willing to let me murder them 30 times? :p

6for8

Ohhh yeah, I forgot about respeccing. I went with crystal because it scales with INT and that's what I'm dumping most of my stats into. Didn't even think about going sharp. I'll check that out tonight.

Missed this.

If your INT is higher than your dex then crystal should do more damage, especially at +3. I just thought dex/pyro would have dex highest and some INT & Faith.

Depends on the enemies as well. Having both INT and dex equal, something like a silver knight the crystal weapon is the better choice. A deacon in the same area a pure physical weapon will destroy them and the crystal will struggle.

What buffs do you use when you are casting? Rings and hats?

Trogdor1123

Beat the nameless king tonight and spent some time helping others. Was pretty fun. Don't really think I have much else to complete now. I also got summoned into a game with 4 people, I didn't know that many was possible. Funny thing was the host died in like 20 seconds fighting the Dragonslayer.

I just can't for the life of me kill anybody in invasions. I'm running a BLD/DEX build dual wielding +10 and I've lost all my fights. I either fight against 2 or more people or their build can just destroy mine so easily, what's the secret to winning in PVP? I'm around 120 SL and I've got a pretty good build I think, but it's infuriating losing after losing.

Mistel

Banned
Missed this.

If your INT is higher than your dex then crystal should do more damage, especially at +3. I just thought dex/pyro would have dex highest and some INT & Faith.
Unless it's much higher INT than DEX a +3 crystal Uchi has 89/100 split damage compared to a sharp uchi which has 140 no split so even with the scaling factored in your more likely doing less damage with crystal than with a sharp uchi.

6for8

Unless it's much higher INT than DEX a +3 crystal Uchi has 89/100 split damage compared to a sharp uchi which has 140 no split so even with the scaling factored in your more likely doing less damage with crystal than with a sharp uchi.

As you can only have one and if the gap between the stats isn't large, sharp is the one to have. Hypothetically if you could have two a case could be made for both.

Around 40 dex and 40 INT and against certain enemies, the crystal will perform a tiny bit better. High praise for the crystal here.

The style of play of the user.
If you like to buff weapons the gap would have to be huge for the crystal to compete.
If you are wearing the slumbering ring and starting fights with a backstab or you like to parry enemies, the resistances of the enemy are weakened/ignored (unsure if this is the reason for the jump in damage) and the split won't be a factor. The crystal performs really well here against enemies like knights. A riposte on a silver knight does around 100 extra damage with a +3.

Jobbs

Banned
Okay, after forever I finally finished the DLC. SL103 character with 45 points very well spent in faith...

mcWUrXE.png

The last boss only took me 14 tries! (Maybe if I had a real build it would have been easier)

My overall feeling about the DLC is that I didn't like it much. I thought the level design in terms of layout was really good, but I generally disliked the enemies.

High quantities of low HP enemies, in my view, isn't a type of encounter that plays to the series' strengths... And, beyond that, it's just not fun. I was frustrated the whole way though. Oh.. Ten more guys throwing spears and fire. Great. Ten thousand projectiles and a pack of wolves and everything is coming alive to kill me. Great.

The first boss was dumb. Frieda was a really well executed encounter. IDK. I'm just left feeling kind of blah.

Also I can't seem to get a single undead match on PS4. Is it already dead?

^ I recently got the DLC, thought it was overall "good" going through it with my first guy, but now kinda have a negative view on it finishing it with my second guy.

I love Souls, so more content is by default something that I want, but it just felt so boring, and the 2 bosses are some of the worst encounters in the game IMO. The optional boss is easier than the NPC invaders (
while the dog jumping around like a moron isn't as good as Sif
), and the first
2 phases of Friede
are super easy once you've done it a few times, but you have to slog through them numerous times to attempt the real fight. I thought I'd summon the NPC helper to speed things along the second time, but he only stays alive during the easiest part, actually making it harder. So solo it is.

6for8

^ I recently got the DLC, thought it was overall "good" going through it with my first guy, but now kinda have a negative view on it finishing it with my second guy.

I love Souls, so more content is by default something that I want, but it just felt so boring, and the 2 bosses are some of the worst encounters in the game IMO. The optional boss is easier than the NPC invaders (
while the dog jumping around like a moron isn't as good as Sif
), and the first
2 phases of Friede
are super easy once you've done it a few times, but you have to slog through them numerous times to attempt the real fight. I thought I'd summon the NPC helper to speed things along the second time, but he only stays alive during the easiest part, actually making it harder. So solo it is.

In context with previous DLC, disappointing content. Main boss cutscene was drama filled but the actual fight was just piled on. Hype for 2nd dlc is on life support. The dlc was split in two, correct? Then it should be more of the same.

Was the boss invasion glitch soft patched? Not getting any of those anymore. Constant 2vs2 or 2vs3 encounters but no boss invasions. What is the word Relaxed Muscle, still working? I have been equipping pvp items/spells just in case.

Hype for 2nd dlc is on life support. The dlc was split in two, correct? Then it should be more of the same.
It wasn't split in to two, it was always going to be two. You might be thinking of BB which was two but then got combined in to one.

We should be getting DLC news this week(?) I'm looking forward to it, I think it will be better than the first one.

Sarcasm

This time I am having issues on the platforming in the DLC area. I was never good at platforming so this is frustrating, on top yea got those arrows being shot at yea.

I tried the same game, but 16 damage per hit...yea not happening.

6for8

It wasn't split in to two, it was always going to be two. You might be thinking of BB which was two but then got combined in to one.

We should be getting DLC news this week(?) I'm looking forward to it, I think it will be better than the first one.

Hype restored!

Toxi

Banned
This game could really use something like the Gravelord Covenant from Dark Souls 1 or the Black Phantom enemies from Demon's Souls: Supercharged versions of enemies that occasionally appear in your world.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This game could really use something like the Gravelord Covenant from Dark Souls 1 or the Black Phantom enemies from Demon's Souls: Supercharged versions of enemies that occasionally appear in your world.
That's kind of what the Twilight missions are though. Pure Black World Tendency levels, and some of the revenants randomly resurrect without you activating them deliberately.

edit: lol wrong fucking thread

Mistel

Banned
I really don't know why there's not something like DS2 added enemies either as that would at least up the difficulty.

kris.

Banned
I just had one of the most unique PVP encounters I've ever experienced in one of these games. I was going through the Catacombs and got invaded by someone named Terrain Guide. Totally friendly, had a torch in one hand, a shield in the other. It took me a minute to realize he wanted me to follow him. He proceeded to guide me all the way through the catacombs to the fire demon under the suspension bridge where I proceeded to die. I feel like I failed him, but the dude actually showed me a bunch of stuff I was completely unaware of in the area. This series' community is incredible. If you lurk on here dude, thanks for the help and I'm sorry I fudged it up in the end haha

Goldboy

I just had one of the most unique PVP encounters I've ever experienced in one of these games. I was going through the Catacombs and got invaded by someone named Terrain Guide. Totally friendly, had a torch in one hand, a shield in the other. It took me a minute to realize he wanted me to follow him. He proceeded to guide me all the way through the catacombs to the fire demon under the suspension bridge where I proceeded to die. I feel like I failed him, but the dude actually showed me a bunch of stuff I was completely unaware of in the area. This series' community is incredible. If you lurk on here dude, thanks for the help and I'm sorry I fudged it up in the end haha

Encounters like this are why I absolutely love the community and multiplayer in these games.

Top Bottom