• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Melchiah

The official FB page posted a link of concept art prints on sale, that can be downloaded for free.

https://www.candb.com/en/artgallery/1842/dark-souls-prints.html

Here's a couple of them:
xUu1WTl.jpg
dXaltTO.jpg

The DLC area seems neat so far (a few bonfires in). This last area will be forever known to me as Shoots and Ladders, though. Oh, From.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just beat Sulvahyn. He completely wrecked my shit with me doing very little damage for a while, then I decided to sleep on it and try him again the next morning. Helped a few other people with the fight to watch his patterns a bit more, then beat him myself.

He's probably the hardest boss I've fought in the game so far, but he wasn't so bad once I started blocking the odd attack instead of trying to roll everything. I also found that I could 1h R2 poke him from neutral for free sometimes with the hollowslayer greatsword if I judged my range right.

I still carry both the hollowslayer and a regular longsword at all times. The longsword is just so faithful in any fight that needs speed, but yet I also like the sweeping attacks and damage from the hollowslayer greatsword. I still have no solid favorite in this game.

Oh, and I just went back and got summoned by Sirris to help her kill someone. She gave me a mailbreaker afterwards and so far I think I really like that thing's moveset. Is it any good?

kanamechan

With three phases and invisible shit, frostbite etc? It was definately intended to be a troublesome boss!

With two-boss fights it's generall best to have good camera control so you know where they both are at all times. Keep them both in your line of sight and at any time you can't, keep a mental picture of where the unseen one is and reposition when you can. Spacial awareness, separating them and keeping on the move is what it's all about.

That explains a lot why those bosses in particular were troublesome for me - didn't occur to me, haha... Well, I got em down either way, so phew @_@ Sure taught me for the next DLC and/or Bloodborne!

You don't need to hope for anything.
Don't lock on and keep them both on screen. Wait for Friede to cast the ice attack and go to town on Ariandel. Or go to town on Ariandel to begin with and get out when you hear/see Friede casting. I don't think there's much danger in the second phase if you manage to separate them. But yeah, I think Ariandel is far easier to focus since Friede is so passive at range. If you focus on Friede, Ariandel will charge in, like you said.

Great swords are pretty bad I think. Straight swords are just better in pretty much every way.

Urgh, no wonder. I tried a straight sword on some normal mobs just now, and they sure are a lot less trouble that way. So much faster dodging after the attack. Would have helped on bosses a ton.

Err. Well, I got it done anyway, and that's what counts, right? Embarassing...

Fun game either way, particularly for the exploration!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GHSA will be your best pve choice until very late in the game. Soul spear isn't worth the extra damage vs the fp cost. It can go through multiple enemies so it isn't totally useless. Best spells will require 45 & 48 INT.

Well, I somehow got up to Anor Londo (which seems disappointing coming from Dark Souls 1's version) but can't soul-grind there because I get wrecked by that charging thunder spear move. :x

I need to level my health badly but level ups require like 20K a level now. Oops?

And Blue Sentinel and Watchdogs won't auto-summon me anywhere. Weird.

Sarcasm

Well, I somehow got up to Anor Londo (which seems disappointing coming from Dark Souls 1's version) but can't soul-grind there because I get wrecked by that charging thunder spear move. :x

I need to level my health badly but level ups require like 20K a level now. Oops?

CoOp on bosses. Go before pontiff and put yea sign down (can even grind sunbro medals that way). Or you can slap you sign down and help people through zones. When you die you don't lose souls either way (even to invaders). You don't need to be embered to be summoned.

The auto summons work but:

1) Your SL matters
2) People aren't wearing the way of blue for blue sents & darkmoon. (I don't remember what watchdogs requires).

6for8

Those 3 knights pay well if you can kill them quick. If you have lingering dragoncrest ring, slumbering ring and the spell hidden body things could be easier. I will let you work out the details. Put on a symbol of avarice for even more souls.

Might as well wear a luck ring, chances are you will be back there.

Sarcasm

Don't have one. :(

When you find a mimic, put on your best luck gear and then hit it with a undead hunter charm. Let it go back to sleep then hit it with another. Repeat until you have the hat.

Best place to do this is that area down after the profaned bonfire. Yhom the giant boss? There are two right next to each other.

I can move items to a new character via leaving for someone to pick up and then I get on my other character?

I want to move some rings.

TheSeks

When you find a mimic, put on your best luck gear and then hit it with a undead hunter charm. Let it go back to sleep then hit it with another. Repeat until you have the hat.

Well, I'm getting like 30,000 souls per 2 rounds of cheesing the AI to an area they can't hit me to Chaos Orb them to death. That stupid spear charge is the death of me, if it isn't that it's the lighting strike the other two knights have. Souls Required to level up is getting expensive as well. I'm not sure how I'm gonna buff my STR/DEX when the last spell I have right now requires 35 Faith and I'm 5 levels away from it. Heh.

I did get auto-summoned to stop two invaders. Got an item off one, the other summoned me and right as I load in "DUTY FULFILLED" but no item from it. WTF?

KarmaCow

I'm at the end game so I decided to look up what is needed for all the achievements. Getting 30 vertebrae is going to be a massive pain. D:

You don't need to bother with this. If you've killed all the Mimics, just go to where the one in
Lothric Castle
was it should just be laying there.

RiggyRob

I'm at the end game so I decided to look up what is needed for all the achievements. Getting 30 vertebrae is going to be a massive pain. D:

You don't need to bother with this. If you've killed all the Mimics, just go to where the one in
Lothric Castle
was it should just be laying there.

It's better to farm them as you can get multiple Symbols of Avarice compared to just the one from killing all of them, which would mean going to NG+ to get more.

The charging spear move is made for parrying. Easy-peasy with a small shield.

I'm getting PTSD just thinking about farming for all those Proof of Concords there!

grmlin

The charging spear move is made for parrying. Easy-peasy with a small shield.

I'm getting PTSD just thinking about farming for all those Proof of Concords there!

Never again!

I was invaded by some random guy farming for the storytellers staff and man do I hate the lag/netcode in this game.
All was fine and I did well (for a low level sorcerer that deals mediocre damage with his sword) until the lag started and I lost. Sad times

Woffls

On my first run and most of the bosses have been pretty easy... until the Nameless King :(

[first phase]
I don't understand how this could possibly be considered a well designed boss. Targeting is useless, it's super difficult to keep track of him and anticipate moves, his hit box is a joke, and it's for some reason difficult to judge distance due to the uhh... 'floor'.

[second phase]
How fucking much HP? Ugh.

Did people generally have problems with this boss? I've only had a handful of tries, but I'm just not getting it. I know it's optional, so I might just bail and complete the game.

build here - I think the main problem is learning the boss, though.

e: managed first phase without getting hit after wearing Carthus Bloodring. I swear one of his fire moves can't be dodged... and fucking getting stunlocked into being hit twice for a full bar of health is top tier bullshit

6for8

Vertebra will be the easiest of the covenant items to get. Duels and invasions and if you invade in the area after pontiff, I believe you can grab some proofs as well.

Do the boss invasion glitch, sounds like a real fun way to get them. I would avoid this if on PC, could be bannable.

Team up with a friend and just kill each other.

If online isn't an option, you have my sympathy.
I was invaded by some random guy farming for the storytellers staff and man do I hate the lag/netcode in this game.
All was fine and I did well (for a low level sorcerer that deals mediocre damage with his sword) until the lag started and I lost. Sad times

I enjoy the lag when they react instantly to your attacks with no damage taken and hit you from 10' away. The reverse must happen, giving me easy kills, but I am too busy strutting around the house to consider that.

With my sorcerer I have had some luck in 1vs1 using farron flashsword. It can't be parried and if their magic resistance is low, it can do solid damage. Using it with a lvl 21 and 28ish INT, it is almost unfair. 50/50 with my lvl 39 and 48 INT.

On my first run and most of the bosses have been pretty easy... until the Nameless King :(

[first phase]
I don't understand how this could possibly be considered a well designed boss. Targeting is useless, it's super difficult to keep track of him and anticipate moves, his hit box is a joke, and it's for some reason difficult to judge distance due to the uhh... 'floor'.

[second phase]
How fucking much HP? Ugh.

Did people generally have problems with this boss? I've only had a handful of tries, but I'm just not getting it. I know it's optional, so I might just bail and complete the game.
NK is generally considered one of the hardest bosses in the game and gave most people trouble on their first go-round.

I do agree the first phase (whilst easy because of low HP) can be troublesome because of the arena and the difficulty some people have judging distance because of it, myself included. I have to disagree about anticipating its moves - I think this is classic Souls with visual/audio tells of it's attacks, but that's all about practice and how many times you fought it. I assume you know that the head is the weakspot, and never to be under it's body/feet because that leads to the flying gtfo flame breath attack - if you avoid being under it, you will never see that attack. The flying breaks your lock on, so you just have to lock on/off as necessary, this is Souls in general though, use of and managing lock-on/off is part of the game.

The second phase is just about not being greedy imo. There's a lot of dodging to be done (I generally roll in to him for a lot of attacks to stay close) so stamina conservation is paramount so that when you get a chance to get a hit in - and it is usually just A hit - you still have enough stamina after to keep dodging. I find it pretty annoying tbh, he's not a bad boss but this fascination they have DS2-onwards with enemies that have long attack strings isn't the type of fights that appeal to me.

Woffls

NK is generally considered one of the hardest bosses in the game and gave most people trouble on their first go-round.

I do agree the first phase (whilst easy because of low HP) can be troublesome because of the arena and the difficulty some people have judging distance because of it, myself included. I have to disagree about anticipating its moves - I think this is classic Souls with visual/audio tells of it's attacks, but that's all about practice and how many times you fought it. I assume you know that the head is the weakspot, and never to be under it's body/feet because that leads to the flying gtfo flame breath attack - if you avoid being under it, you will never see that attack. The flying breaks your lock on, so you just have to lock on/off as necessary, this is Souls in general though, use of and managing lock-on/off is part of the game.

The second phase is just about not being greedy imo. There's a lot of dodging to be done (I generally roll in to him for a lot of attacks to stay close) so stamina conservation is paramount so that when you get a chance to get a hit in - and it is usually just A hit - you still have enough stamina after to keep dodging. I find it pretty annoying tbh, he's not a bad boss but this fascination they have DS2-onwards with enemies that have long attack strings isn't the type of fights that appeal to me.

The design makes a lot more sense now that I've tried attacking phase one from the front rather than underneath, but I still found it difficult to track the enemy so I went back to attacking from underneath. I feel a bit better about it being dumb as shit now that I know I'm not attacking the 'correct' way.

I've gotten to the point where I can get through it pretty easily by attacking from underneath. There's an audio cue for the fire blast so I just move out the way if there's a chance it's about to happen.

I can feel phase two falling into place, but his attacks are quite difficult to judge because the animation starts and then he'll just go reeeaalll slow for a bit and mess up the timing. I could do with a break, but y'all know how it is.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
These NPC invaders rolling away to heal are annoying. I may need to throw talismans at them.

Getting double-teamed by two invaders right after Sulvayhan. Too bad R1 spam won't stunlock them until they die lol.

Woffls

Spoken like a true Souls-player! :)

Come back to it tomorrow and kill him first try, that's what usually happens!
:) Yep that's what I'm going to do. In the mean time I'll go through my NG+ checklist and make sure I've got everything. Should be nice and therapeutic.

grmlin

Fought the Abyss Watchers with my mage tonight, yeah, I used the Estoc for the backstabs in the second phase.

One of the bosses I always need some tries before I get his moves back into my muscles.

kris.

Banned
Didn't realize there was no Steam Cloud feature for DS3. Re-installed Windows last night due to what I suspect was a pretty bad memory leak.

There goes 54 hours of work.

Mothereff.

Sarcasm

Didn't realize there was no Steam Cloud feature for DS3. Re-installed Windows last night due to what I suspect was a pretty bad memory leak.

There goes 54 hours of work.

Mothereff.

Yea it sucks but it doesn't have the steam cloud label =S

I use game save manager to have it back up (even with games with steam cloud sync) to a cloud service.

TheSeks

Level 35 INT Lighting Strike spell was totally not worth leveling up for.

"Sure, let me wind up and get hit before I can strike-down on you." >:|

Level 35 INT Lighting Strike spell was totally not worth leveling up for.

"Sure, let me wind up and get hit before I can strike-down on you." >:|

You mean Lighting Stake? And you mean FTH?

For miracles you are supose to use talismans, or at least I think they are the best option for attack miracles. Get the canvas talisman, and use Unfaltering Prayer, that battle art gives you Poise when casting, so you don't get interrupted.

.Anema

Guys, I was playing coop with a friend a few hours ago (ng+4). We maded up to Aldrich, started the fight and we were invaded! WTF!
The red phantom tried to kill us but we kill him first and then we killed Aldrich. It was a really WTF moment. Cheaters are coming to PS4? HOW!
Also, I'm available to help, just add me (PSN ID: Coiii)

Sarcasm

Guys, I was playing coop with a friend a few hours ago (ng+4). We maded up to Aldrich, started the fight and we were invaded! WTF!
The red phantom tried to kill us but we kill him first and then we killed Aldrich. It was a really WTF moment. Cheaters are coming to PS4? HOW!

It is a glitch, not a cheat. =S

Sarcasm

Im thinking that invading when other players are fighting against a boss could be a nice feature on NG+ and beyond, something like the mirror knight in DS2 haha.

Considering the glitch has been in since DS1, though this lets you invade while bosses, I think they should add it in as something.

.Anema

Considering the glitch has been in since DS1, though this lets you invade while bosses, I think they should add it in as something.

Wow, I never heard about that glitch, and I've finished (with platinum trophies) every game in the soulsborne saga.
It could be a nice addition.

Sarcasm

Weapon question, I have upgraded and main the Onyx Blade.

As a second weapon, what would I have that is faster?

I have witch's locks.

What about Carthus Curved Sword or Followers Sabre?

What should I do about infusions?

Yeah, that. I was expecting Dark Souls 2 level of Lighting Spear. Instead it's just a "watch me wind up and miss" move.

Lightning Stake is totally new in souls, I think? and is quite deadly, is a really good spell. Use it with talismans and the battle art, the canvas is the best talisman, BTW. You'll appreciate the combat oriented miracle user more.

Lightning Spear is still there, the best one is a sunbro covenant reward.

Lightning Stake is totally new in souls, I think? and is quite deadly, is a really good spell. Use it with talismans and the battle art, the canvas is the best talisman, BTW. You'll appreciate the combat oriented miracle user more.

Lightning Spear is still there, the best one is a sunbro covenant reward.

No, the best one (Sunlight Spear) is acquired by transposing the soul of SoC.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I'm going to start playing this again - didn't finish it last time I got into it. Is it advised to follow a walkthrough my first run to make sure I don't miss anything? And is there a class I should pick if I want to have the most weapons available to me as I proceed? I'd hate to start with a sword and find myself with a cool axe I can't equip because of the build I worked around.

Top Bottom