• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Sarcasm

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/5pounf/dlc_2_news_the_ringed_city_available_march_28th/
At the close of the Age of Fire, as the world ends and all lands converge upon themselves, a lone adventurer descends into the madness of the earth and uncovers the secrets of the past.

The Ringed City is said to be at World’s End, as far as one can go…

The Ringed City, Dark Souls 3’s second and final DLC, will be released on March 28th, 2017!

Explore a brand new convoluted region, inhabited by new enemies, mysteries and characters. Fight your fight through The Ringed City with new armor, weapons and magic!

And of course, watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igomOLwqsV0

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Got through a bunch of areas over the weekend. A few thoughts:

- The Zweihander is fucking awesome in this game. The 1H R1 has so much range and impact that you can space a max range R1 against most enemies, and it'll probably either flinch or knock the opponent back. The weaponskill launch never gets old either, and it has a low hitbox that lets you duck many attacks too. It's made me gravitate to a weaponskill shield + 1h Zweihander style for most encounters now.
-
Anor Londo
is pretty much just nostalgia points. I liked helping Anri with the boss though.
- Good god,
Irythyll Dungeon is fucking creepy. That first jumpscare really got me, those jailers are similar to Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne, and those weird creepy baby faced monsters are just wtf. It's like an improved Tower of Latria.
Which is good, because I'd rather have that than a redone Blighttown like DS2 had.
- The
jailer room at the bottom of Irythyll Dungeon
is a complete hellhole and probably the worst room I've encountered in the game.
- Profaned Capital was also wtf (that
poison pit with centipedes and hand monsters what)
but I'm not sure about the lore in the place yet. Not sure why it's called the Profaned Flame.
-
Yhorn was a cool but unsurprising gimmick fight
. I really like Siegmeyer and his questline, and was glad to see it through.
- It's really something when you beat
Yhorn, are having a toast with Siegmeyer, then the game fucking warps you straight to that other NPC before you've even lit the bonfire and then I triggered the Dancer of the Boreal Valley fight right away. I ran away and homeward boned. Good thing those things are fast in this game.
-
Dancer
was no joke and I think is the hardest boss I've fought in the game so far. So many different attacks and delays. It's hard to keep track of and she can kill me in 2-3 hits most of the time.
- Beat that
mini-Seath guy in the consumed king's garden, which is once again just full of monsters. The area was scarier than the boss.

z36JgrB.gif

Encounters like this are why I absolutely love the community and multiplayer in these games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4i1wo7/ok_i_just_got_invaded_by_the_fashion_police/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWGWR820Pw

BlizzKrut

Banned
Just wanted to chime in and say I completed the game last week (as in, all the bosses, including the optional ones are dead), it was a 30 hour run, and I'm very happy with the game, I'm considering buying the second DLC that's coming out in March, and buying the first one later down the line when it's at a lower price.

Got to say I loved the Twin Princes fight, and Nameless King too, I'd also say those two were the hardest for me, around 15 deaths each.

It was very fun and I can't wait to go in to NG+ :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey guys, soon time to start this up again.

Anyone got ridiculous OP PvE/PvP builds for me? I know the game's been patched plenty of times since I played it last time.

neoism

jesus fucking christ they take to damn long to release dlc.... 😑 the end of march damn ittttttttt please be loong..😮

kris.

Banned

Anyone got ridiculous OP PvE/PvP builds for me? I know the game's been patched plenty of times since I played it last time.

My OP as shit build that I was able to finish the game with was pure strength with some light dex and I was using the Refined Lothric Knight Greatsword. Destroyed everything. Everything.

Jobbs

Banned
I took the dlc 2h axe (earth seeker I think) to +5 and into ng+. I'm 40 STR 55 faith and I love this weapon. Its art is my favorite miracle. :p so much fun and quite powerful.

Feeling a bit underwhelmed by sunlight spear. +10 talisman, sun ring, 60 faith with priestess ring and it hits for about 600 and about 1000 point blank. And it takes tons of Mana.

Quality Build.

Carthus Curved Sword (Optional + Carthus Rogue)

It was nerfed, but is still OP as fuck.

I took the dlc 2h axe (earth seeker I think) to +5 and into ng+. I'm 40 STR 55 faith and I love this weapon. Its art is my favorite miracle. :p so much fun and quite powerful.

Feeling a bit underwhelmed by sunlight spear. +10 talisman, sun ring, 60 faith with priestess ring and it hits for about 600 and about 1000 point blank. And it takes tons of Mana.

Is meant to use at point blank.

Also do you have Morne Ring and Ring of the Sun's First Born? Both together should add quite some dmg, otherwise I think 1k dmg is still pretty fucking nice.

Jobbs

Banned
Also do you have Morne Ring and Ring of the Sun's First Born? Both together should add quite some dmg, otherwise I think 1k dmg is still pretty fucking nice.

I'm using the sun first born ring. I tried stacking morne's ring on as well and that added about 100 damage, but I needed to put havel's back on. :p

I'm at level 105 and I was planning to go up to 120 and stop. Is that where everyone tends to be?

Also is dark moon covenant functionally any different from blue sentinels? I can't ever seem to be summoned with the dark moon one equipped.

also, hahaha ♥

KarmaCow

Well I fucked up levelling up trying to get summoned as a Blademoon. Not only did that do nothing in terms of getting summoned, I'm now trying to get Vertebrae as Mound Maker and in the few times I do successfully invade I'm only paired up with people who have been playing a while with the min-maxed builds. At this rate I'm never going to get 30 Vertebrae to get all the pyromancy spells :(

Goldboy

Is the Moonlight Greatsword any good in this game? I've actually never used it in any of the Souls games and feel like trying it out.

grmlin

Hollowslayer is absolutely amazing. But as someone else mentioned earlier, upgrade materials are rare in the beginning.
I played NG+ with it and it was a blast.

Right now playing a mage. Spook+Invisible Body (don't know what it's called in english) + backstabbing and/or Storyteller's Staff's weapon art is like something unlocked via cheat engine.
In the beginning it can be pretty rough though.

kris.

Banned
I never really got into Soulsborne PVP. Until last night. Just hanging around the area after Sulyvahn's bonfire dicking around with people for a few hours was SO MUCH FUN.

Akuun

Hollowslayer is absolutely amazing. But as someone else mentioned earlier, upgrade materials are rare in the beginning.
I played NG+ with it and it was a blast.

Right now playing a mage. Spook+Invisible Body (don't know what it's called in english) + backstabbing and/or Storyteller's Staff's weapon art is like something unlocked via cheat engine.
In the beginning it can be pretty rough though.
Yeah, Hollowslayer is great. Probably still my most used boss soul weapon imo.

Lack of upgrade materials made me switch to the Zweihander, though. Better range and impact, which means I can safely land a hit without worrying about most enemies poising through it. 1H R1 even flinches Silver Knights, and the fully charged version knocks them back. It's great.

I might go back to the Hollowslayer when I get a hold of enough Titanite Scales, but I'll probably still swap back and forth between the two because I'm really liking the Zweihander right now.

Souls games tend to make me gravitate towards larger weapons because it just doesn't feel right to fight a gigantic monster with a tiny, fragile-looking sword.

grmlin

It was never as easy to kill the silver knights on the stairs as with the Hollowslayer. Basically, the Hollowslayer got me the Platinum.

Fully upgraded with enough points in INT (and STR), Leo ring, enough stamina, swing swing swing. Amazing.

It's also pretty beast in PvP. A counter-poke with a leo ring deals an absurd amount of damage. I love it.

Jobbs

Banned
Holy shit after 80 hours I finally discovered Nameless King.

What an amazing design.

You managed to not have any of this stuff spoiled up until now and found it on your own? That's almost an alien idea to me at this point, because even if you stay away from the internet, the game's own messaging system ruins everything.

I can't decide if the true experience is offline mode or online mode. I like connected worlds and the potential for invasion, and while I like the idea of messages generally, I find people are so thorough now that every single secret in the game is marked by a pile of glowing things. What's the point of even having secrets if unmissable glowing signs point to each one?

I guess I just talked myself into believing the messaging system has run its course and needs to go in future games.

N° 2048

You managed to not have any of this stuff spoiled up to now and found it on your own? That's almost an alien idea to me at this point, because even if you stay away from the internet, the game's own messaging system ruins everything.

I can't decide if the true experience is offline mode or online mode. I like connected worlds and the potential for invasion, and while I like the idea of messages generally, I find people are so thorough now that every single secret in the game is marked by a pile of glowing things. What's the point of even having secrets if unmissable glowing signs point to each one?

I guess I just talked myself into believing the messaging system has run its course and needs to go in future games.

I don't usually check messages. I knew the boss name but never saw any of the design. I ran through the Archdragon Peak today and it took me forever to realize I had to
jump down near the bell
, took me at least 30 minutes.

I'm barely in any DS3 threads and pretty much only go to the Wiki if I need help as well.

kris.

Banned
Sooooooooo I just watched a video of the Sister Friede fight and might buy the season pass tonight. That looks like one hell of a good boss fight.

Akuun

I'm dumb, I meant DEX of course :/
Ah okay, thought I was missing something.

I think I may be trying too much stuff with my build and suffering as a result. It's like, half STR/DEX but also with FTH, but none of those stats are very high because I'm spread too thin. So I have enough faith and attunement to cast Tears of Denial and Replenishment, but not enough to do anything significant offensively. It doesn't help that I don't really have many offensive spells anyway.

Maybe I should reset into an actual quality build, or change my sword to Raw and go full Faith. Either one is probably better than this mess that I have going.

grmlin

Pretty sure I used it on a quality build, but it was DEX focused first.

Never messed around with miracles and the like with any of my melee characters beside the rapport spell to farm the winged knights on top of the grand archives. Used the ring there though.

Jobbs

Banned
I was chilling, playing along in NG+ with my level 105 cleric and I finalllly got invaded.

15uGk3u.gif

I was excited to see how fast my shit killed him and then noticed his HP seems to be incredibly low. Looks like about 700.

How would someone that low level invade me? I'm level 105 with +10 bardiche, +10 talisman, +10 heavy crossbow, and +10 liewen shield

kris.

Banned
I was chilling, playing along in NG+ with my level 105 cleric and I finalllly got invaded.

15uGk3u.gif

I was excited to see how fast my shit killed him and then noticed his HP seems to be incredibly low. Looks like about 700.

How would someone that low level invade me? I'm level 105 with +10 bardiche, +10 talisman, +10 heavy crossbow, and +10 liewen shield

heh, I was invading someone the other night and got a Blue Sentinel called on me. The dude just rushed me. I was using I think at that time a +7 Sharp Claymore and downed him in 3 hits. It was like instant.

grmlin

Invasion matchmaking can be pretty bad though. I had to fight people that were obviously of a much higher level with way better weapons than me.

It really makes a difference if you have to deal with the max leve-range between you and the invader

Jobbs

Banned
Where do you go for pvp at 110?

I've been wearing the darkmoon covenant 100% of the time since starting NG+, and I'm up to catacombs and still haven't been summoned and I've only been invaded once.

Undead matches at firelink don't seem to ever find anyone

Sarcasm

I've been wearing the darkmoon covenant 100% of the time since starting NG+, and I'm up to catacombs and still haven't gotten summoned and I've only been invaded once.

I do not understand how people aren't getting summoned.

I beat the game twice on two different characters and I was getting summoned still.

I live in Taiwan!

grmlin

I've been wearing the darkmoon covenant 100% of the time since starting NG+, and I'm up to catacombs and still haven't been summoned and I've only been invaded once.

Summons are absolutely broken in this game and for me actually the worst part of it. It's just ridiculous that this shit still isn't fixed by either getting the rewards by invading someone wearing the covenant, or something else. LIKE FIXING THE FUCKING SUMMONS.

Really, I played through the game for maybe 6 times, I don't know. I was wearing the summon covenants all the time during PvE. Thats the darkmoon/blue thing and the farron one. I was summoned maybe 15 times IN TOTAL. Half of these summons failed because of connection errors, and most of them were already over when I finished loading.

The only thing I find annoying is that as a mad phantom invader, the white phantoms, and blue phantoms don't count. When you invade it will tell you, to kill one or two phantoms or the host. I once killed four phantoms, just to get killed by the host.

grmlin

The only thing I find annoying is that as a mad phantom invader, the white phantoms, and blue phantoms don't count. When you invade it will tell you, to kill one or two phantoms or the host. I once killed four phantoms, just to get killed by the host.

but you can use the red stone sign to get summoned, I did this covenant this way. You can't do that with the blue ones. :/

On 120 and forward, the undead matches is the easiest way to PvP. Meta PvP is around that level, so is normal that at 110 you'll have a harder time finding matches.

For the covenant...not sure what to say. A couple of months ago I was summoned a few times, not a lot but I had a slow flow of summonings over my gameplay sessions. I guess that with the release of the DLC and the GOTY edition it would be a good time to get autosummons. It happened in the last DLC for me.

And I recommend you to use canvas talisman, over the one you have. ;)

Oh. At lower levels talisman had more spellbuff.

Looks like Saint's Talisman has possibly more spellbuff than either at 59 faith. What about that one?

The difference is the poise from Unfaltering Prayer. Saint's Talisman has the higher spellbuff, but the lower poise, I think even a straight sword can interrupt the casting. Canvas has the best ratio between poise and spellbuff.

Sunlight Talisman has the best poise, if you are interested on that, but the damage is not that great.

Jobbs

Banned
The difference is the poise from Unfaltering Prayer. Saint's Talisman has the higher spellbuff, but the lower poise, I think even a straight sword can interrupt the casting. Canvas has the best ratio between poise and spellbuff.

Sunlight Talisman has the best poise, if you are interested on that, but the damage is not that great.

So canvas has more poise than regular? I can't say I've been frequently knocked out of casting with regular, but, then I haven't really done much hectic multi person pvp as must be going on in the undead matches.

What do other high level faith casters usually end up with in attunement? I frequently find myself wishing I had more mana.

This is where I'm at at 113. Note that I'm wearing both the priestess and knight rings to get +5 str and +5 faith.

1zai8Dd.jpg

I had sort of figured on dropping one more point into faith then putting the rest in vigor up to 120 and not leveling further.

N° 2048

I'm SL100 with all bosses/optional bosses done.
Still running Raw Astora Sword+10 but I feel it's too weak, any recommendations on what to replace it with?

Don't know if it's a good weapon for NG+

Akuun

I'm in some super dark area that looks
exactly like the tutorial area
right now. Feels weird, and reminds me of the
abandoned hunter's workshop
in Bloodborne.

I don't get what's different about the pvp in this game, but I seem to be able to at least put up a fight against invaders in DS3, when I always got one or twoshotted instantly in other Souls games. Maybe more people are invading, which reduces the chances of me running into some guy with some perfect broken ass PvP build.

I'm SL100 with all bosses/optional bosses done.
Still running Raw Astora Sword+10 but I feel it's too weak, any recommendations on what to replace it with?

Don't know if it's a good weapon for NG+

Is ok I guess? with magic buff it can still kick some ass. But without your stats is hard to make a recomendation.

You can't go wrong with a Carthus Curved Sword, but that is a quality weapon, for example.

So canvas has more poise than regular? I can't say I've been frequently knocked out of casting with regular, but, then I haven't really done much hectic multi person pvp as must be going on in the undead matches.

What do other high level faith casters usually end up with in attunement? I frequently find myself wishing I had more mana.

This is where I'm at at 113. Note that I'm wearing both the priestess and knight rings to get +5 str and +5 faith.

1zai8Dd.jpg

I had sort of figured on dropping one more point into faith then putting the rest in vigor up to 120 and not leveling further.

I think I have 30 or so ATTN.

Sunlight cost quite a bit of MP, but also I used my miracle character for invasions so, a large pool of MP is even more necessary. I think around 24 is a good number, Not sure you need more than 3 slots or so.

And that's a lot of STR, unless you think of using a very specific weapon, earthseeker for example, that's a lot that could be used on more END, ATTN and VIG. With that much FTH you could go just meeting STR base stats and infusing it, with raw or lighning, with raw with Lightning Weapon, you can get a nice boost of damage.

I'm in some super dark area that looks
exactly like the tutorial area
right now. Feels weird, and reminds me of the
abandoned hunter's workshop
in Bloodborne.

I don't get what's different about the pvp in this game, but I seem to be able to at least put up a fight against invaders in DS3, when I always got one or twoshotted instantly in other Souls games. Maybe more people are invading, which reduces the chances of me running into some guy with some perfect broken ass PvP build.

Because while DS3 being unbalanced as fuck, is less unbalanced than the past 2 games.

Mistel

Banned
Because while DS3 being unbalanced as fuck, is less unbalanced than the past 2 games.
I'd say it is as about as well balanced as post FTH nerf DS2 they're all a mess really.

1zai8Dd.jpg

As you can re spec into better use of your stats dropping STR for ATT would be a good idea then you can also invest in VIG until 120 if you'd like. Unless you're play a hybrid build of STR/FTH.

grmlin

You should, especially if you are not at lvl 200, focus first. You'll have less tools to use, but who cares. Play it again afterwards :)

Top Bottom