• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Sarcasm

I think I'm going to start playing this again - didn't finish it last time I got into it. Is it advised to follow a walkthrough my first run to make sure I don't miss anything? And is there a class I should pick if I want to have the most weapons available to me as I proceed? I'd hate to start with a sword and find myself with a cool axe I can't equip because of the build I worked around.

You can respec so many times in a playthrough, like 5 times and require a pale tongue (also to unlock a spot in the game a bit). The starting classes are more like starting gear and different stats. As the best stat spread, pyro is the best as luck is below 10. Meaning that points are already in better slots.

Yea a walkthrough is honestly fine in souls as its so obtuse that you will screw up more than half the quests.

kris.

Banned
Man, maybe that wipe was a blessing in disguise. I started a pyro/dex build last night that I'm suuuper pumped to get off work and fuck around with.

Mistel

Banned
I think I'm going to start playing this again - didn't finish it last time I got into it. Is it advised to follow a walkthrough my first run to make sure I don't miss anything? And is there a class I should pick if I want to have the most weapons available to me as I proceed? I'd hate to start with a sword and find myself with a cool axe I can't equip because of the build I worked around.
For the most variability at the start a knight with has a decent amount of investment in STR/DEX giving you a lot more choice prior to stat investment.
You can respec so many times in a playthrough, like 5 times and require a pale tongue (also to unlock a spot in the game a bit). The starting classes are more like starting gear and different stats. As the best stat spread, pyro is the best as luck is below 10. Meaning that points are already in better slots.

Yea a walkthrough is honestly fine in souls as its so obtuse that you will screw up more than half the quests.
Pyro has a lot of wasted stats though with the investment in INT/FTH/ATT unless you want to play a build that uses those stats then its not very useful, Knight, Warrior, or Mercenary make better starting choices with probably the Knight being the easiest.

Sarcasm

It is more about base stats and starting level, with not wasted points in luck.

By lvl 10, Pyro and Warrior are the most efficient due to the less wasted points in LCK.

Deprived is actually worse for all this lol.

classesahscx.png

Mistel

Banned
Warriror has 11 in luck though if you're treating LCK as a dump stat that defeats the point of picking warrior as the most efficient. By LV10 a knight which has the same luck stat as a pyro has more variety available to it with less points put in ATT/INT/FTH. Saying it has a low luck whilst lacking in other areas for melee orientated areas is a bit cheeky to call it the best.

I prefer the strength weapons, but this dex run is making the game easier than ever. I started with the Sellsword Twinblades, then grabbed the Follower Sabre as soon as the DLC was available. Kinda liked the Twinblades better, but all my mats went into the Sabre for now. The only thing I'm missing is a nice, heavy poke to knock down certain annoying NPC invaders that like to poise through everything.

Mistel

Banned
VIT as a dump stat is debatable sure on some builds it is inherently useful on the other hand armor is pretty terrible in this game but even still VIT plays a major role within a build via equip load.

Sarcasm

It isn't the worst dump stat, but it isn't really a priority in many things as you fat roll after 70%. With a ring you can manage. Really only want more if you're into that heavy fashion souls.

zarnold56

So I am looking to start this game and give it an honest shot. I have tried to give Dark Souls and Demon Souls a shot in the past, but always stopped after an hour or so just because stuff was so obtuse. Then I played Bloodborne and loved that. I beat that once and am almost done with my 2nd play through. I am wondering what class or build would be good for my playthrough of DS3?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What's so bad about Luck? Also, sounds like my first play should be Warrior for melee and, if I do a second, it should be Pyro for magic stuff?

Sarcasm

So I am looking to start this game and give it an honest shot. I have tried to give Dark Souls and Demon Souls a shot in the past, but always stopped after an hour or so just because stuff was so obtuse. Then I played Bloodborne and loved that. I beat that once and am almost done with my 2nd play through. I am wondering what class or build would be good for my playthrough of DS3?

What's so bad about Luck? Also, sounds like my first play should be Warrior for melee and, if I do a second, it should be Pyro for magic stuff?

Don't think too hard about starting class as you can build it anyway you want and get the items of other classes throughout the game. You can respec 5 times (per playthrough). Though Deprived is probably the worst class to choose to doing specific build choices.

If you choose warrior @ start you can still do magic. Sorcery is INT, Miracles is FTH and Pyro is INT & FTH.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Don't think too hard about starting class as you can build it anyway you want and get the items of other classes throughout the game. You can respec 5 times (per playthrough). Though Deprived is probably the worst class to choose to doing specific build choices.

If you choose warrior @ start you can still do magic. Sorcery is INT, Miracles is FTH and Pyro is INT & FTH.

What's the difference between INT and FTH in terms of use as a stat?

Sarcasm

What's the difference between INT and FTH in terms of use as a stat?

Besides being tied to spells in a certain group?

A sorcery spell requires you to have INT.

While miracle spells require FTH.

So a sorcery effectiveness is based off of INT while Miracles (not dark miracles) effectiveness is based off of FTH.

There are other things, like INT gives magic defense. While FTH gives dark defense. Both increase the other defenses and resistances but only slightly.

Pyromancer is a bit different as the weapon scales from both INT and FTH, so the spells typically require you to have both skills at X amount. Like fireball requires 6 in both.

Also note that all three use the attunement stat, which main function is how many FP (blue bar) you get and slots (spells can take 1 slot or more depending on which). Of course some minor defense to certain things (very slight). This doesn't scale yoru damage but having more FP means you have more blue to cast more and depending on how many slots you get (and use) determines how many spells you can have equipped. Like my character has 24 ATTN which means 4 slots and 181 FP.

I use spells Chaos Bed Vestiges (2 slots) and two more 1 slot spells (one is rapport awesome spell lol).

Mistel

Banned
I prefer the strength weapons, but this dex run is making the game easier than ever. I started with the Sellsword Twinblades, then grabbed the Follower Sabre as soon as the DLC was available. Kinda liked the Twinblades better, but all my mats went into the Sabre for now. The only thing I'm missing is a nice, heavy poke to knock down certain annoying NPC invaders that like to poise through everything.
You'd like the Gotthard Twinswords that's got the versatility and the pokes in its moveset that make it effective against invaders.
Luck is complicated it's not bad per se it has powerful applications but generally it's not worth the investment for the raised item discovery which is what it does mostly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Wait, there's a respect option!?

You'd like the Gotthard Twinswords that's got the versatility and the pokes in its moveset that make it effective against invaders.

I'm going to check them out for sure. There are so many weapons I just loot and never use on my other playthroughs. First playthrough was 99% Longsword, then strength weapons, and finally sorceries.

Sarcasm

Oh shit. I must've skipped over that.

Basically you need to have two things in your checklist to be able to respec:

• Gotten to Rosaria's Fingers in the Cathedral of the Deep (There is a bonfire near it after all those grub/worm things).
  • Pale Tongue

Rosaria's Fingers is a covenant that allows you to be "reborn". Rebirth allows you to trade a Pale Tongue to reallocate your stats or change your appearance. You have a maximum of 5 rebirths per NG Cycle. Note that if you offer it to "rank up" you kill Sirris' questline, but not if you use it to respec.

Wagram

Came back to this for the first time since launch and got to Dancer. I 1/1 this boss on my first run and she totally ate my lunch for several tries. Wasn't used to the timing or speed of this game at all. Total payback for me calling her an easy boss before.

Sarcasm

I am having issues trying to kill the summoned Havel the Rock right after the Dragon-Kin Mausoleum bonfire. It is one of the possible summons from the summoning dude from above.

Anybody wanna help me on PC?

KarmaCow

Is there some trick to getting summoned as a Blademoon? I'm at the end of the game trying to get enough Proofs to get both the ring and miracle but I'm just not getting summoned and farming them from Silver Knights is mind numbing with the shitty drop rate.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Stuff on FTH and INT.

Thanks for this.

So I just got to the part with the dragon that breaths fire along the corridor that you have to run through. At the top of the stairs is some fucking kite shield knight. Dude can eat a bag of dicks. I'll kill him eventually, but man is he driving me mad.

Jobbs

Banned

I agree it doens't matter a great deal which class you choose, but it does matter if you care about 5 or 6 points or whatever -- which later in the game can seem like a lot.

If you have a build in mind, add up the wasted stats of each starting class and pick the one with the least. Luck is almost always a useless stat, so classes with the lowest luck tend to be better. Thief is probably the worst unless you want to run a luck build for some reason.

For most builds, especially any involving melee, knight is a pretty clear winner.

Like, I even start knight for my faith builds because it's simply better than herald or cleric due to less wasted points in luck. If you plan to not use dex *at all* the wasted points knight has in dex, iirc, exactly cancel out cleric's wasted points in luck, so I guess in that specific case it doesn't matter.

Trogdor1123

Beat ng last night with the Lord of cinder, got lots of help which is great. Anything I should do before going to ng+? I haven't fought the nameless king. I'm really not good enough to beat him. Any other neat stuff? Is there any specific weapon that is best for each infusion?

Also realized I don't like great swords. They are two slow. I got one that weighs in around 6 though.

I'm about level 95.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Basically you need to have two things in your checklist to be able to respec:

• Gotten to Rosaria's Fingers in the Cathedral of the Deep (There is a bonfire near it after all those grub/worm things).
  • Pale Tongue

Rosaria's Fingers is a covenant that allows you to be "reborn". Rebirth allows you to trade a Pale Tongue to reallocate your stats or change your appearance. You have a maximum of 5 rebirths per NG Cycle. Note that if you offer it to "rank up" you kill Sirris' questline, but not if you use it to respec.

Huh. Didn't know Roaria's Fingers allowed that. I figured you'd rank up like normal.

I wonder if respecing would make getting summoned for the convent items easier. :x

trixx

So i'm playing through dark souls 2 as my first souls game. Finally beat the first boss, and made some type of a progress. All of a sudden some ghost enters my game and wrecks me.. What the heck? Dude was like end game magician and i'm basic knight, lame.

Immediate turn off game moment, oh well maybe tomorrow I get further

So i'm playing through dark souls 2 as my first souls game. Finally beat the first boss, and made some type of a progress. All of a sudden some ghost enters my game and wrecks me.. What the heck? Dude was like end game magician and i'm basic knight, lame.

Play offline. This series has a garbage community and ontop of that the online play is ridiculously laggy and imbalanced. 99.9% of the time somebody invades you in a non PvP spot they are a twink build with way better gear and weapons than anyone around that level. Take this advice and play the series offline or just be like me and take pleasure in trolling invaders and making them waste their time.

You shouldn't be playing the worst Souls game as your first one though. Dark 1 or 3 would be better IMO.

But if it's not for you you can always go offline or just avoid human mode.

Dark 2 has undead invasions, offline is the only way.

Jobbs

Banned

If you're in human/embered form you can summon help but also be invaded.

I like the excitement and the connection to other worlds, it's part of the "feel" of the game to me, so I always play online.

But if it's not for you you can always go offline or just avoid human mode.

N° 2048

I have about 80 hours into Dark Souls 3 and still have no idea what I am doing or what is going on.

I beat it, haven't gone to NG+ because it's just too much fun laying down my soapstone and helping beat bosses.

Dancer and Oceiros are my favorite.

Sarcasm

Huh. Didn't know Roaria's Fingers allowed that. I figured you'd rank up like normal.

I wonder if respecing would make getting summoned for the convent items easier. :x

No as you keep your current SL.

Play offline. This series has a garbage community and ontop of that the online play is ridiculously laggy and imbalanced. 99.9% of the time somebody invades you in a non PvP spot they are a twink build with way better gear and weapons than anyone around that level. Take this advice and play the series offline or just be like me and take pleasure in trolling invaders and making them waste their time.

You shouldn't be playing the worst Souls game as your first one though. Dark 1 or 3 would be better IMO.

Dark 2 has undead invasions, offline is the only way.

wut son you must be playing an entire different series.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Was that Armorer Dennis, by any chance? xD

wut son you must be playing an entire different series.
They're right about the twink builds though.

I mean, I don't give a shit personally - I loved wrecking twink invaders in DS1, but it can be very offputting for a lot of new players to meet fully decked out invaders when all you've got is your little starting shortsword and a helmet dropped from a hollow for protection!

DLC info soon.

According to a tweet by MrIwont4get there will be a Bandai Namco event that he's going to next week, and Fightin Cowboy will be there too. Praise the Sun!!
EDIT: reconfirmed by Fightin Cowboy
EDIT 2: it seems it will be a demo/showcase event that will not be unveiled to the public until a week or two after the event.

Garbage community? wout

90% twink invaders is not fun to fight against, it's just wasting peoples time. I just replayed through 1-3 on PC, yes the community is that fucking bad. Thankfully in the best game the online doesn't even work at all without mods.

KarmaCow

I get it often. (Blademoon)

I am scared to level beyound 110. Or is 120 the better sweet spot?

Are you on PC? I'm at SL 79 right now and got summoned once in about 2 hours. Luckily that was for someone being invaded by three people but I still need 20 more Proofs.

6for8

Beat ng last night with the Lord of cinder, got lots of help which is great. Anything I should do before going to ng+? I haven't fought the nameless king. I'm really not good enough to beat him. Any other neat stuff? Is there any specific weapon that is best for each infusion?

Also realized I don't like great swords. They are two slow. I got one that weighs in around 6 though.

I'm about level 95.

Before ng+?

Killing all the bosses is a must. If you are having problems with a certain boss/area, put your sign down and help others. Good practice and you will meet people that will help you.

-Weapons and gear that you use should be +9. How many slabs did you pick up? 8 available and 3 (?) more in the DLC.

Did you pick up the hornet ring? Nice to have and you can even use it for the nameless king fight.

If it's ps4, you can add me (id in profile) to help with the king.

Sarcasm

They're right about the twink builds though.

I mean, I don't give a shit personally - I loved wrecking twink invaders in DS1, but it can be very offputting for a lot of new players to meet fully decked out invaders when all you've got is your little starting shortsword and a helmet dropped from a hollow for protection!

Twinking (still can' tget over the word they choose for this) happens in any game. Even in WoW you got twinks.

Are you on PC? I'm at SL 79 right now and got summoned once in about 2 hours. Luckily that was for someone being invaded by three people but I still need 20 more Proofs.

I get summoned a ton! Try Grand Archives. Yea I am on PC.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So there's this Mimic, right? And his hurricane kick nearly one shots me. Are these enemies I should be taking in later after I've leveled up and improved my weapons a bit? I can dodge and attack and all that good stuff, but the fight takes a while since I don't hit hard, and I end up dying as a result of making one silly mistake.

Sarcasm

So there's this Mimic, right? And his hurricane kick nearly one shots me. Are these enemies I should be taking in later after I've leveled up and improved my weapons a bit? I can dodge and attack and all that good stuff, but the fight takes a while since I don't hit hard, and I end up dying as a result of making one silly mistake.

If you want the item from it, you can throw an undead charm thing at it. Wait and it spits the item out.

And they hurt regardless lol

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you want the item from it, you can throw an undead charm thing at it. Wait and it spits the item out.

And they hurt regardless lol

Decided to take my sweet time and kill the bastard.

Got the Symbol of Avarice. Guess I'll wear that for a bit for that extra discovery! Wait, do I take damage wearing it? That's not going to work haha.

Top Bottom