• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Currently stuck with
demon king
,how far am i? 30% 50%? Pls no spoilers,just give me a number.

That boss is optional so it's hard to tell. If the previous boss you beat is
Wolnir
, you are roughly at 40%

I'm at about 10 hours played, just beat C
rystal Sage
. Looking through this thread and HowLongtoBeat I am a little worried about the length of the game. Less than 40 hours, seriously? I am by no means a speedy Souls player but my times usually hit a little above average. (DeS - 55 hrs, DkS - 65 hrs, DkS2 - 75 hrs, BB - 45 hrs). If I finish this game in less than 40 hours I'll honestly be pretty disappointed. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the lengthy games in the series but 30-40 hours just doesn't seem like enough for a Souls game.

Yogg

I just beat D
ancer
and reached L
othric
C
astle
. I feel like the difficulty just got bumped by a ton. Both available paths feel so much more tough than the previous zones in the game. Is it just me? I'm around SL60.

I'm using a very hybrid pyromancy build right now (15 faith/int, 28str, 15 dex) along with a solid mix of all defensive stats and it is actually going great, I just got to the catacombs. Better than the other characters I've done.

Minor pyromancy spell related spoiler relevant to your question:
You will get a fire enchant pyromancy for your weapon at some point. You can just leave your weapon infused with whatever stat you prefer (heavy, sharp, etc) and then enchant it with fire when you want.

Thats great to know, I feel good about my hybrid now thanks! Are you using a heavy infusion since you have high str?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone? Decent DEX builds?

Tak3n

Banned
I discovered one secret area so far (well optional, at least) being
Smoldering Lake
, are there a couple of them? I feel I might naturally miss them, is it worth using the most basic of a tutorial or guide to find the entrance, then explore them blind? I want to see as much as possible on my first NG.

Yeah are in for fun down there :) it is a lot bigger than just a boss btw

Okay, it's official. I am never playing a souls game blind again. I just spent an hour retrekking the entirety of
Irythill Dungeon
trying to find
Seigward's cell
. I literally checked every single nook and crany and I couldn't find him. I finally look him up online, and I'm supposed to go around the
profaned capitol
and which leads be back into the dungeons.

Obviously, right?

Between that, and getting locked out of two different side quests I was highly interested in going through without any sort of warning that that was going to happen, accidentally finding out I doomed that
blind nun
to insanity because I apparently wasn't supposed to
give her dark tomes
, and basically fucking over pretty much every side quest I had going on, I decided that I'd rather get spoiled than have my entire game fucked up because Dark Souls hates the player.

And I don't want to get spoiled. While I don't think the first experience is the be all end all, there is a uniqueness to it, but these stupid random dick punches the game keeps throwing at me that I have no way to knowing are coming is just...this is just stupid.

Sorry for being a few pages late but..
Profaned capitol is under tab "Irythill Dungeon" in bonfire list. This means that the two areas are considered both to be "Irythill Dungeon".
Or that was how I understood it. Just like few of areas are considered to be under
"Road of Sacrifices" even though Farron Keep etc have different names for them.

Game beaten and all optional bosses down. For me this is probably the weakest souls game, but not by much, it was still a fantastic experience, it certainly has its moments. I didn't quite get the same sense of journey and discovery that i had in the other games, i think it's a mix of design choices and my own personal familiarity and even occasional fatigue with the gameplay systems.

It's a complicated questline. Best to google it.

To use your post for a side-rant: FROM really went overboard with the number of ridiculously obtuse NPC questlines this time.

I understand wanting to appease all types of fanbases for the big end of the trilogy, but Bloodborne's relatively transparent NPC questlines were vastly more enjoyable to me.

Some of these are near-impossible to finish without constantly checking a guide. This combined with permanent failstates due to autosave runs completely counter to Dark Souls 'git gud' design philosophy imo.

Did you talk to X NPC before clearing boss Y but after talking to NPC Z? No best ending for you until NG+, chump.

I hate this part of Souls and I really hope it's gone or grossly simplified (like Bloodborne did to an extent) for whatever game FROM does next.

Best DEX weapon

GO

Sharp Uchigatana for me.

ogbg

rystal Sage
. Looking through this thread and HowLongtoBeat I am a little worried about the length of the game. Less than 40 hours, seriously? I am by no means a speedy Souls player but my times usually hit a little above average. (DeS - 55 hrs, DkS - 65 hrs, DkS2 - 75 hrs, BB - 45 hrs). If I finish this game in less than 40 hours I'll honestly be pretty disappointed. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the lengthy games in the series but 30-40 hours just doesn't seem like enough for a Souls game.

If you keep up that pace it will take you over 40 hours

grimmiq

So I did my first run in the JP version, then a run in the English version and decided to start over fresh and do my "real" character, thinking the
Old Wolf Greatsword
looked kinda cool I decided to do my whole run with it, beat the 1st 2 bosses and ran directly to the area to farm the items..Just got it and now I'm lvl61, 2 bosses in.

MrHoot

Anyone? Decent DEX builds?

Haven't played enough to give a good solid answer but i've spotted some really good dex weapons like the Sellsword twinswords which can scale A if you give it a sharp gem. And seeing how this game favours fast weapons late game it might be a good option (but I don't like the L2 tho, feels weak)

A lot of katanas scale very well too and you can get one early enough
(if you have the guts for it)
and it's a great clutch weapon for early game too.

Venfayth

Thats great to know, I feel good about my hybrid now thanks! Are you using a heavy infusion since you have high str?

Yup. I used the Butcher's Knife for a good period and that needs high strength to wield. I switched to a newer weapon I found because you can't enchant the Butcher's Knife. I just look at whichever infusion adds up to the most damage. I avoid the infusions that remove stat scaling entirely though.

Yeah. I hope someone compiles all of the wikis into one like this: http://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/
I was considering trying it as a side thing, but I don't want to steal anyones work.I think a lot of the work would be reading what is on fextralife then rewording/formatting it unless it was popular enough to get an active user base to participate.

But yeah, the performance of fextralife is awful. It's always down and the mobile version is so bloated that runs like garbage no matter how powerful your device is.
If you're curious about the area you're in
I found a fairly large and crazy secret area there
. It was neat how I found it too,
I think the ballista broke open a chunk of the floor when I was running around exploring and I dropped down into a whole new place.
Whaaaaat. I have to make sure I do that before destroying the
large crossbow catapult thing.

ogbg

To use your post for a side-rant: FROM really went overboard with the number of ridiculously obtuse NPC questlines this time.

I understand wanting to appease all types of fanbases for the big end of the trilogy, but Bloodborne's relatively transparent NPC questlines were vastly more enjoyable to me.

Some of these are near-impossible to finish without constantly checking a guide. This combined with permanent failstates due to autosave runs completely counter to Dark Souls 'git gud' design philosophy imo.

Did you talk to X NPC before clearing boss Y but after talking to NPC Z? No best ending for you until NG+, chump.

I hate this part of Souls and I really hope it's gone or grossly simplified (like Bloodborne did to an extent) for whatever game FROM does next.

The way I see it it's just adding some variability with each playthrough. Assuming you don't use a guide you can try different things each time and see how it changes. It's not like there is a best ending. Also, you think Bloodborne's endings were simple to work out?

Kazuhira

That boss is optional so it's hard to tell. If the previous boss you beat is
Wolnir
, you are roughly at 40%

I haven't kill him yet,he one-shots me so i took a detour and now i'm stuck with this optional boss.
Glad to know there's still a lot more to do,i'm having so much fun and i don't want it to end.
Every area in this game has been amazing so far.
Thanks.

Can someone explain me a little bit about hollowing?
I understand how to get it and cure it..

But, what are the pro's/con's about being hollow?
It's just for the
alternate ending
or are there any stat changes when you are hollow?

Mupod

It's just for the
alternate ending

I haven't noticed any stat changes. I don't like looking all shriveled though so I keep curing it, lol.

rystal Sage

I am 35 hours in and one of the last posts just said I am only 40% done with the game. It feels just as long as any souls game I have played. I always take my time, invade a bunch of people, explore every inch.

Scrawnton

Good gracious...I must be terrible at these games. I am only halfway or so just got to
Boreal Valley
but that area is kicking my butt so far :T and I am sitting at over 20 hours.
I've been day one on this series since demon's souls, so I got pretty good at them. I like going through them and experiencing the bosses on my own before my friends ruin everything by texting me all the secrets. Also, going through the game at my regular pace just leaves excitement for a second playthrough because I know I missed some things

It also helps that my friend and I had a bet to see who would beat it faster on our first playthrough with no outside help. I beat him by an hour and a half ;)

It's just for the
alternate ending
Just for the
other ending really. Besides free level and buying stuff.

ogbg

Just for the
other ending really. Besides free level and buying stuff.

There's also something else but I'm not sure what it is. Game Informer's review said "
when combined with the right materials and a willingness to persevere [hollowing] can dramatically increase your chosen weapon's damage output
". I guess this must be
hollow gem
? I haven't tried it myself.

iddqd

Sharp Uchigatana for me.

Yeah, I actually DID check the guide to finish the quest for
Onion Bro
but STILL missed it.

Oh I should have toasted to him while sitting on a bench only with a dex weapon and loin skirt equipped? Got it!

Sylas

I'm really salty that the cooler dex weapons are slapped in the very last
(or one of the first)
areas in the game.

I want to use the Gotthard Twinswords without NG+ing and sticking to my Pyromancer build or use the dual Katanas. Waugh.

It's just for the
alternate ending

Curing it requires you
giving an item to the fire keeper. The item is
a Firekeeper soul. It will also require a bunch of souls, the amount depends on how much hollowing you have.

iddqd

I haven't kill him yet,he one-shots me so i took a detour and now i'm stuck with this optional boss.
Glad to know there's still a lot more to do,i'm having so much fun and i don't want it to end.
Every area in this game has been amazing so far.
Thanks.

I actually cheesed him with a bow like a true hero. My standard melee build was trash against him.

rystal Sage

dude, Demon's Souls can be beaten in an hour or two. these games have never been that long.. and i think it's perfectly fine. DSII was too long for me, way too many areas and bosses. it would have benefited from a little trim down, leaving some of the most generic bosses and boring areas out of the game.

a relatively short, tightly designed cohesive Souls game is a thing of beauty.

and you can do like me, use a lot of time helping others and it will make the game last longer.

ogbg

Curing it requires you
giving an item to the fire keeper. The item is
a Firekeeper soul. It will also require a bunch of souls, the amount depends on how much hollowing you have.

I think
the amount just depends on your soul level

ElFly

Tell your friend to pick a knight and try again. Some starting classes make that fight a real pain in the ass. I consider myself a souls vet and trying to beat Iudex with the thief starter took me 10+ attempts.

Isn't Iudex easier with a caster? I've heard people say that sorcery destroys him.

"If only I could be so grossly incandescent!"
Hh7tPOy.jpg

"hey,many people experience serious issues with our product. Really bad framerate and even crashes. Should we adress this in the coming patch?"

"NO!!! Weapon Balancing it is"

"But..."

"I said weapon balancing!!!"

Dad

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in weapons? I know it's not like Bloodborne where pretty much everything is viable at the end of the game. I've been using the claymore, but I've been hesitant to reinforce it since I'm not sure what constitutes a worthwhile weapon or not

dude, Demon's Souls can be beaten in an hour or two. these games have never been that long.. and i think it's perfectly fine. DSII was too long for me, way too many areas and bosses. it would have benefited from a little trim down, leaving some of the most generic bosses and boring areas out of the game.

a relatively short, tightly designed cohesive Souls game is a thing of beauty.

and you can do like me, use a lot of time helping others and it will make the last longer.
First off, throwing out some speed run time is completely meaningless in the context of this discussion. It's the worst way to measure game length for 99.99% of players.

That said, I don't disagree that quality > quantity. Ideally I'd love both but I have no problem with a dense and tightly designed Souls game. Bloodborne is my favorite Soulsborne game and I could finish that at 20 hours or so on repeat playthroughs.

It's really about expectations based on the previous games in the series. I don't need the game to be Dark Souls II long, I was just hoping it would hit at around 50-60 hours.

I should also mention that I'm really discussing amount of content here; playtime is just a convenient way to get a general measure of it. Helping others and taking your time is fine but those don't actually increase the content in the game which is what I'm concerned with.

Raw64life

30 hours in and I just got to Lothric Castle. I've played through every Souls game and they usually take me about 50 hours first playthrough. This game seems like it will be no different, and that includes several hours of standing around trying to summon help to no avail.

I know a lot of people have been complaining about the guide and it definitely has some errors in it but it's been great at helping with the NPC sidequests and locating vital items. I've already completed several NPC questlines. The only one I fucked up was the Pit of Hollows guy and it doesn't seem like much of a loss.

You definitely have to may more attention than you did in Bloodborne. I was checking the guide after every boss to see what I had to make sure to do/not do on the next area so that I didn't fuck up any sidequests.

Yeah, I actually DID check the guide to finish the quest for
Onion Bro
but STILL missed it.

Oh I should have toasted to him while sitting on a bench only with a dex weapon and loin skirt equipped? Got it!

jesus.. that cant be true lol. i would not figure that out in a million playthroughs. WAY too random. bad form, From.

i like.. no i love the cryptic nature of the series, but too much is too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom