• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a new thread that I can't find? This one moving oddly slow.

This one got put in Community, though I'm not exactly sure when that happened. Aren't we due for a new thread soon anyway?

---

I swapped my Carthus Curved Greatsword for a Great Corvian Scythe and I'm finding it to be much more effective in PvP. I felt like absolutely everything was out-ranging the curved GS and the extra damage wasn't really worth it when I kept getting poked mid-swing.

Mother. Fucking. Dragonslayer. Armor. This is the first boss that has challenged me. Like 10 deaths so far. I get it down to 1/4 health every time. So frustrating. Anyone have any advice?

pa22word

Mother. Fucking. Dragonslayer. Armor. This is the first boss that has challenged me. Like 10 deaths so far. I get it down to 1/4 health every time. So frustrating. Anyone have any advice?

Kill a bunch of lothric knights that are in the area before him for a lothric knight shield drop. Makes the fight a cakewalk. If you're still having issues, head to ADP and snag the Thunder Stoneplate ring for added help.

Also, you can snag the Spirit Tree Crest shield in a chest in the area with the Outrider knight that's just before DSA that offers like 80% lightning damage reduction.

for Aldrich i needed maybe 4 or 5, but the tactic was really clear for me. Pontiff was down in 2 shots, i thought it was one of the easiest bosses of the game.

Im at level 96 i think but i cant remember lothrics patterns. he always hits me when im not expecting it. really strange. The strategy seems really easy though: dodging dodging dodging, one hit, dodging dodging.

is there any pro tip i dont know? Yesterday this fucker made me really angry :mad:

You found pontiff to be easy? He was one of the most challenging for me lol.

As for Lothric
His brother teleports him a lot so you need to be focused the entire fight. There is also a time where he will teleport and then start winding up for a massive attack that goes across the floor in a straight line and if it hits you, it can OHK you. He will track you up until he hits the sword to the floor, so be careful. I had a much easier time with him than I did with Pontiff

test_account

XP-39C²
nah, she's still there after final boss. i killed her in NG before going into NG+ when i didn't do the questline and she only dropped something else. I forget what it was. I guess i'll just kill her and see if the set drops this time.
Missed out on what? What went wrong if she's just standing there?
Admitedly i only read on the Wiki, but i'm under the impression that she would be dead after the first boss if you summoned her there. I havnt checked it myself though, the Wiki might be wrong.

pa22word

Fuck that guy with his gankspank squad "trolling" promoting videos

If this was any other game in the series that wasn't DS3 you might have a point.

Now you can chose whether nor not to get a gank squad or get a gank squad and have some laughs in the process.

Fuck that guy with his gankspank squad "trolling" promoting videos

Gankspank is the new meta though

Speaking of metas, what's the current PvP SL meta? I'm lvl 125 and getting summoned frequently, however I forgot to do the questline of Y
oel or whatever his name is, which requires me to level up 5 times. Is 130 too high or will I be okay?

Tarkus

Gankspank is the new meta though

Speaking of metas, what's the current PvP SL meta? I'm lvl 125 and getting summoned frequently, however I forgot to do the questline of Y
oel or whatever his name is, which requires me to level up 5 times. Is 130 too high or will I be okay?
Most people are staying at 100 or 120. Higher if you're a caster or hybrid I guess.

Maxim726X

Yep, hit my first real roadblock: Pontiff Sulyvahn.

His combos are fucking nuts and I can't get in enough shots when he does actually leave an opening.

Feel like I'm going to be stuck on him for a while.

dude

dude
Yep, hit my first real roadblock: Pontiff Sulyvahn.

His combos are fucking nuts and I can't get in enough shots when he does actually leave an opening.

Feel like I'm going to be stuck on him for a while.
Yeah, he was the biggest step up in difficulty I've encountered so far. That bastard is fast.

Kazooie

Banned
Hey guys.

So, I really liked Bloodborne. It's one of my favorite games ever. I tried to play Dark Souls II afterwards and could not get into it. It was just too slow for me. I kind of avoided Dark Souls III as a result but my friend said DSIII is the closest to Bloodborne in the series.

So, I am sure this has been beaten to death in this thread, but would DSIII would be recommended to someone who loved Bloodborne but couldn't get used to the speed to the Souls titles?
They have streamlined DaS 3 so it is more in line with Bloodborne. Quicker combat, quicker Estus Flask use, removal of armour upgrades. I'd definitely recommend.

Yeah, he was the biggest step up in difficulty I've encountered so far. That bastard is fast.

Even Lobos Jr died to him a couple of times. And used all 9 Estus in the winning fight.

Funny cause I killed him on my 2nd try :) And he was easier for me in 2nd phase. Weeeeeeird. Kind of slower, no?

Just so you guys know he is not the fastest boss in the game ;) Fun times ahead for you.

Juraash

You found pontiff to be easy? He was one of the most challenging for me lol.

As for Lothric
His brother teleports him a lot so you need to be focused the entire fight. There is also a time where he will teleport and then start winding up for a massive attack that goes across the floor in a straight line and if it hits you, it can OHK you. He will track you up until he hits the sword to the floor, so be careful. I had a much easier time with him than I did with Pontiff

I found Pontif to be one of the easiest as well. He'd have been down in 1 if I didn't get greedy. I'm actually really surprised to see him make most people's hardest list.

But that's one of the interesting thing about Dark Souls. Everyone has their big time obstacle bosses and I feel like who you are and how you play changes which bosses those are.

I found Pontif to be one of the easiest as well. He'd have been down in 1 if I didn't get greedy. I'm actually really surprised to see him make most people's hardest list.

But that's one of the interesting thing about Dark Souls. Everyone has their big time obstacle bosses and I feel like who you are and how you play changes which bosses those are.

What I find really interesting DaS 3 is that bosses vary to such a degree that a boss some people find easy others find hard and vice versa. DaS 1 & 2 bosses were pretty objectively difficult or easy for the most part. DaS 3 however is very subjective at times, for example, many people found A
byss watchers to be difficult, I beat em on my second attempt
those same people that found that fight to be difficult found Pontiff to be easy.

That's what I like about DaS 3, bosses are easier/harder based on your playstyle(cautious, greedy, etc.), while in DaS 1 & 2 it was mainly about your class.

I guess I find Pontiff really hard because I'm very greedy and I like to wail on things until they stop moving.

Man, ENB's latest episode is so painfull to watch. I did my first playthrough completely blind as well but even I managed to figure out how the S
torm
R
uler
's special attack works just by playing around with the weapon a wee bit.

But he pretty much never used the weapon abilities in this game (which is baffling me too), so that has to be the reason why couldn't figure it out sooner.

His playthrough in general seems so mindboggingly bad. I always expected him to be quite good in these games but many things I don't get. I hope to fuck he discovers the U
ntended
G
raves
and A
rchdragon
Peak

Beat Pontiff on my first try (using most of my estus, with a +7 uchigatana I believe). My strategy? A lot of blocking with a 100 shield, mixed with rolling around his attacks. Don't get greedy. Take what he gives you. Same thing with the dancer. I've heard people complaining about their speed... For me that wasn't an issue. It's the hard hitting guys that I'm having a current issue with.

Manu

What I find really interesting DaS 3 is that bosses vary to such a degree that a boss some people find easy others find hard and vice versa. DaS 1 & 2 bosses were pretty objectively difficult or easy for the most part. DaS 3 however is very subjective at times, for example, many people found A
byss watchers to be difficult, I beat em on my second attempt
those same people that found that fight to be difficult found Pontiff to be easy.

That's what I like about DaS 3, bosses are easier/harder based on your playstyle(cautious, greedy, etc.), while in DaS 1 & 2 it was mainly about your class.

I guess I find Pontiff really hard because I'm very greedy and I like to wail on things until they stop moving.

It's funny that you mentioned those two bosses in particular because the exact thing happened to me. Got the Watchers on my second try and then hit my head against a wall for two hours fighting Pontiff.

Beat Pontiff on my first try (using most of my estus, with a +7 uchigatana I believe). My strategy? A lot of blocking with a 100 shield, mixed with rolling around his attacks. Don't get greedy. Take what he gives you. Same thing with the dancer. I've heard people complaining about their speed... For me that wasn't an issue. It's the hard hitting guys that I'm having a current issue with.

That's not the kind of thing you know before entering the battle for the first time though :p

dude

dude
Even Lobos Jr died to him a couple of times. And used all 9 Estus in the winning fight.

Funny cause I killed him on my 2nd try :) And he was easier for me in 2nd phase. Weeeeeeird. Kind of slower, no?

Just so you guys know he is not the fastest boss in the game ;) Fun times ahead for you.

He was easier for me in his 2nd form by a bit. Mostly because if I killed his clone he'd summon another one, letting me land free hits.Also it was MUCH easier to heal.

I'm at the Dancer now. Heard some horror stories about her...

As for varying difficulty in bosses - I was stuck for a long goddamn time on the fricking Crystal Sage. I have no idea why he was giving me so much trouble...

Perfect I'll be in a comfortable range for everything I want to do. Thanks

It's funny that you mentioned those two bosses in particular because the exact thing happened to me. Got the Watchers on my second try and then hit my head against a wall for two hours fighting Pontiff.

Heh yeh, mainly because I've noticed it the most apparent with those two among my friends. My friend destroyed Pontiff but had difficulty with Watchers and I was the opposite :p. Our playstyles are also very different, they're very cautious and I'm greedy at times

Man, ENB's latest episode is so painfull to watch. I did my first playthrough completely blind as well but even I managed to figure out how the S
torm
R
uler

But he pretty much never used the weapon abilities in this game (which is baffling me too), so that has to be the reason why couldn't figure it out sooner.

His playthrough in general seems so mindboggingly bad. I always expected him to be quite good in these games but many things I don't get. I hope to fuck he discovers the U
ntended
G
raves
and A
rchdragon
Peak

I thought that episode was fine. I totally understand why it took a while to figure out
Storm Ruler
. The description says nothing about "charging" the weapon, and no other weapon in the game requires you to hold that "stance" for any reason. I thought it was very obtuse and kind of annoying.

J2d

I never joined mound makers, can I still farm the skeletons for vertebra shackles? I spent a lot of time doing it but didn't get a single one so I'm wondering if it only drops of you found the covenant..

torm
R
uler

ntended
G
raves
and A
rchdragon
Peak

I died once before I figure it out.

I found out the A
rchdragon Peak
because a friend told me how to get there, and that was after the final boss. tbh idk how you find that shit by yourself.

Meccs

I really don't understand why the storage box isn't shared between characters. If I can hand down items, why make it needlessly complicated?

brawly

Some bosses are definitely harder unpatched. Wolnir is a joke in the patched version, Abyss Walker is also easier and that miniboss (
cealing
) in the chapel is a nightmare unpatched.

I'm curious to see the endgame, because that was really hard unpatched.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't understand why the storage box isn't shared between characters. If I can hand down items, why make it needlessly complicated?

Because that would make it trivial for people to have level 10 characters with +2 rings and all kinds of OP shit and invade people.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
torm
R
uler

ntended
G
raves
and A
rchdragon
Peak

Man wtf are you on about. He figured out Stormruler pretty quick, and even if he had used weapon arts, it wouldn't have helped him figure it out quicker, because it's the only weapon that requires you to charge the weapon art. And he used the normal weapon arts a lot during the fight. You are seriously overreacting. "mindbogglingly bad" indeed. It's a blind playthrough. Jesus christ some people have no perspective.

oops sorry for double post but man...

Syder

Because that would make it trivial for people to have level 10 characters with +2 rings and all kinds of OP shit and invade people.
I agree but people do it anyway. There's no rules against trading rings from NG+ onwards to characters on NG.

Some bosses are definitely harder unpatched. Wolnir is a joke in the patched version, Abyss Walker is also easier and that miniboss (
cealing
) in the chapel is a nightmare unpatched.

I'm curious to see the endgame, because that was really hard unpatched.

When did they patch bosses? The update that just passed, or the one before it?

YES! After so many attempts, and so much frustration, I was finally able to down N
ameless
K
ing
solo. It was such an exhilarating moment for me, I just felt great.

Man wtf are you on about. He figured out Stormruler pretty quick, and even if he had used weapon arts, it wouldn't have helped him figure it out quicker, because it's the only weapon that requires you to charge the weapon art. And he used the normal weapon arts a lot during the fight. You are seriously overreacting. "mindbogglingly bad" indeed. It's a blind playthrough. Jesus christ some people have no perspective.

oops sorry for double post but man...

Not to mention he was able to do what I could not and defeat D
ancer
on his second try.

Nerokis

I found out the A
rchdragon Peak
because a friend told me how to get there, and that was after the final boss. tbh idk how you find that shit by yourself.

Just a matter of registering there's something particular about that spot, and keeping it in mind for later. The way it's laid out, combined with the item you find there talking about meditation, was enough to make me experiment with gestures that looked like decent meditation poses. When I found the
Path of the Dragon
gesture, I was 90% sure I knew what to do with it.

Beat the final boss ended up using the FUGS, despite not using ultras at all during the playthrough. It was challenging and I enjoyed it, but it'd probably rank it below NK.

Great game, might be tied for my 2nd favorite souls game with BB. On to ng+ or maybe SOTFS given that I never played through the DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom