• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

_h8bit

Banned
I'm actually finding the greatswords in this game (using the Wolf Knight Greatsword) faster than any of the previous games. Maybe it's cause I played Bloodborne (Ludwig's Holy Blade), Dark Souls II (Curved Dragon Greatsword), & Dark Souls I (Black Knight Sword) all fairly recently lol

Maybe I need to switch greatswords then lol. I just love the Greatsword so much because of Berserk.

Ruff

Just beat
Archdragon Peak

Holy shit what a boss. That could have been the last boss and I'd had no problem with it. Probably my favorite boss fight ever it terms of style and difficulty.

The arrow move is the most likely one to get you if you are getting the boss down and going in for a final attack. I recommend chain-rolling away in a circular path, where the end of the circle will be right where Aldrich is so you can get in your attack

Yeah its been driving me mad but ill try that, thanks :)

Auctopus

Holy shit A
ldrich
is kicking my ass. Get so close every time but he just 1 shots me. Any tips?

Best boss in the game. He took me a while and I was always dying when he had about a 1/4 health left, it's just about perfecting his moves and keeping spatial awareness.

- Arrows: In both phase 1 and 2. Back well away when he raises the bow. In Phase 2, back up and then start running in the opposite direction. Don't stop running until the arrows stop but try to angle your run so you end up behind him so you can attack. Sometimes he's extra evil and sends a beam at the end of the phase 2 arrows so watch out for that.
- Twinkling lights: Wait for these light glowing orbs to get as close to you as possible and do a quick roll to set them loose.
- The beam: just roll to the left, this is most usually followed by an immediate second beam so be ready to roll that one too.
- Don't attack him at the front, it's just not worth it.
- Attacking the tail will sometimes stagger him but don't get greedy, if you get caught when he's teleporting it can cause huge damage.

Just take your time and be safe. It's a great fight, let me know if you have any other questions.

Mupod

That seems fucking absurd, I love it, I turned the ballista off and cleared the area (sans the crab situation). I'll just look up how to get that floor to break -- If I can even access it now, I wonder if the enemies that control the ballista respawn. I'll lookup how to access them once.

I don't think you NEED to do that to get down there (
Demon Ruins
). It's just how I found it.

I didn't want to fuck with the
giant worm
. If you go in my way you come out behind it, and the
ballista can be easily baited to shoot it to death. Considering how its animations were freaking out I'm not 100% sure this is intentional but it seemed okay.

Chorazin

Speak to her now.
What you do after that depends on if you're trying to get the Hollow Ending or not.....

Demon Ruins

giant worm
ballista can be easily baited to shoot it to death. Considering how its animations were freaking out I'm not 100% sure this is intentional but it seemed okay.

You can also just shoot the fucker from the ledge to it's left (if you're standing behind it.) It never attacks you there.

Hellers

well that's dumb. Why would they drop you such a wall at the beginning. At least in the first game the first boss was easier.

he is using knight and it's his first souls game. I understand his frustration.

I`m a souls noob too. I struggled with him as well. Here`s some tips.

During his first phase stay at a distance, rolling away from his attacks until he does his big leap attacks. When he does that he`s stuck for a few seconds. Dive in and punch his face. It`s slow but gets you used to rolling to avoid attacks.

The second phase is a shock to the system but the trick is to go in close and watch his feet rather than the abomination head. That lets you easily see which direction he`s facing. Use roll to get on his sides and behind if possible.

A friend of mine is thinking about selling the game because he can't beat the first boss (Iudex something). I took me a couple of tries to beat it but do you really need to beat it to progress?

Let him sell it. the First boss is killed in a couple hits if you've a good starter build/class.
It will only get harder after that first boss. And yes you need to beat it to even open the door behind him.

Wish him luck!

Spoo

Just beat
Archdragon Peak

Holy shit what a boss. That could have been the last boss and I'd had no problem with it. Probably my favorite boss fight ever it terms of style and difficulty.

I'd have liked it a *lot* more if the first phase wasn't there, but the second phase was longer and harder.
you really need to massage the camera controls for lock-on in the right places, and once you get it down it completely trivializes the first fight since the dragon goes down in 2 groups of attacks when it does flame breath. I fought the boss a *lot* because his second phase required precise timing, so I was annoyed with the lead-in

NBtoaster

This game has some questionable shortcuts. Some of them only save a couple seconds max, or are just there to add to the interlinked feeling of the world.

Danny 117

Anyone know why some Red Phantoms have a sort of orange glow to them? Like they have ranked up in the covenant or something.
I've given 30
pale tongues
to the
invasion covenant
but no glow for me. Just wondering if it may be something else :p

Also, where are
Sorcerer
NPC and
Pyro
NPC?

Demon Ruins

giant worm

yup.
sat right behind a rock behind the worm. ballista shot it to death while the worm essentially lost its mind trying to figure out what its supposed to be doing.

Spoo

Anyone know why some Red Phantoms have a sort of orange glow to them? Like they have ranked up in the covenant or something.
I've given 30
pale tongues
to the
invasion covenant

Also, where are
Sorcerer
NPC and
Pyro
NPC?

Sorcerer I believe is right above the group of enemies right before you kill Crystal Mage. Pyro is in undead settlement, right after you open the doors in the barn leading to that big group of grenade tossing enemies, roll down to the path and you'll find a bonfire. Keep going and you'll be on top of the house and he's up there in a cage.

E92 M3

I've given 30
pale tongues
to the
invasion covenant

Also, where are
Sorcerer
NPC and
Pyro
NPC?

Orange glow red phantoms are sun bros being naughty

dude, Demon's Souls can be beaten in an hour or two. these games have never been that long.. and i think it's perfectly fine. DSII was too long for me, way too many areas and bosses. it would have benefited from a little trim down, leaving some of the most generic bosses and boring areas out of the game.

a relatively short, tightly designed cohesive Souls game is a thing of beauty.

and you can do like me, use a lot of time helping others and it will make the game last longer.

Agreed, the Souls games really shine through how much they can be replayed. My first playthrough of Demon's Souls took me around a week, but now it also takes me around 1-2 hours. That's great design imo. I'm not even a Dark Souls 2 hater, I enjoy the game a lot in fact, but I'd say it's length is probably one of the things it got wrong. Dark Souls 3 on the other hand has the best and most consistently high quality level and enemy design in the series for me. That's the most important thing as far as I'm concerned and I'd rather they not worry about length. I'm going to end up playing the game for thousands of hours anyway. Trying out different builds, routes, multiplayer etc.

Holy shit A
ldrich
is kicking my ass. Get so close every time but he just 1 shots me. Any tips?

I had a hard time with that boss but I ultimately defeated him by being completely erratic and ludicrous. Because,
if you attack it after rising up from the ground, you can usually get one hit in before it decides to fire arrows and do all that stuff. Being agressive actually helps in this one.
I put my effort on YouTube, but beware, I'm really not good at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYxDnqJeYe4

Danny 117

Sorcerer I believe is right above the group of enemies right before you kill Crystal Mage. Pyro is in undead settlement, right after you open the doors in the barn leading to that big group of grenade tossing enemies, roll down to the path and you'll find a bonfire. Keep going and you'll be on top of the house and he's up there in a cage.

Thanks! Never knew you could get up there. Will go looking for both of them!

Orange glow red phantoms are sun bros being naughty

Oh really? I might become sunbro now that I have maxed the
invasion
covenant just cause they look cool with the glow :p

Carlius

Banned
also, hows NG+ looking on the PC? i am about to beat it but i missed apaprently quite a few sidestories so i will replay it but shits already harder than i though, at least the endgame locations.

Neoweee

Demon Ruins

giant worm

That thing has the worst hit detection in the series by a mile. It's, like... what. What is it supposed to be doing? How is melee supposed to hit it?

ogbg

Getting real sick of invading and one or more of the host's summons are just sliding around. Hard enough to deal with a 3v1 when I *can* tell what they're doing.

I had this problem for a few hours yesterday. I think it's the servers. Are they updating them today or has that already happened?

Best boss in the game. He took me a while and I was always dying when he had about a 1/4 health left, it's just about perfecting his moves and keeping spatial awareness.

- Arrows: In both phase 1 and 2. Back well away when he raises the bow. In Phase 2, back up and then start running in the opposite direction. Don't stop running until the arrows stop but try to angle your run so you end up behind him so you can attack. Sometimes he's extra evil and sends a beam at the end of the phase 2 arrows so watch out for that.
- Twinkling lights: Wait for these light glowing orbs to get as close to you as possible and do a quick roll to set them loose.
- The beam: just roll to the left, this is most usually followed by an immediate second beam so be ready to roll that one too.
- Don't attack him at the front, it's just not worth it.
- Attacking the tail will sometimes stagger him but don't get greedy, if you get caught when he's teleporting it can cause huge damage.

Just take your time and be safe. It's a great fight, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, seems having a shield isnt worth it so ill probably go without for the fight to lower my weight a bit. Guess i better jump right back in.

I had this problem for a few hours yesterday. I think it's the servers. Are they updating them today or has that already happened?
Had it on and off since launch, don't think it would be anything related to servers, aside from them being poop on occasion. (or that person's connection to them beng poop)

That thing has the worst hit detection in the series by a mile. It's, like... what. What is it supposed to be doing? How is melee supposed to hit it?
get behind it and stay there. It's easier without the ballista but still. When you hit him like twice, he he'll start to move a little before he starts spinning. The spinning is when you don't want to be anywhere near it.
Just keep hitting, going back and hitting when it's not moving.

ogbg

Had it on and off since launch, don't think it would be anything related to servers, aside from them being poop on occasion. (or that person's connection to them beng poop)

Yesterday for a few hours it was literally every person I faced, either as invader or in organised fights, and my connection was fine. It was even the ghosts you see sometimes. That's why I was thinking it was the servers. But yeah generally it's just a bad connection.

I think killing it with the
ballista is intentional. There is a trench behind it that is positioned perfectly as it is safe for you and every arrow hits the worm when standing in it.

dude, Demon's Souls can be beaten in an hour or two. these games have never been that long.. and i think it's perfectly fine. DSII was too long for me, way too many areas and bosses. it would have benefited from a little trim down, leaving some of the most generic bosses and boring areas out of the game.

a relatively short, tightly designed cohesive Souls game is a thing of beauty.

and you can do like me, use a lot of time helping others and it will make the game last longer.

This is crazy talk, not that you can speed run, anyone can do that with any game. But this is consistently a series with some of the longest games, they are all huge. Especially in comparison to other action RPGs. 40-50 hour games every year that are as well designed as this, it's crazy impressive what they are doing.

Manu

Alright so I found (optional area)
alternate Firelink Shrine and gave the Firekeeper her eyes. Now she asked me if I want a world without fire.

I guess this influences which ending I'll get?

GulAtiCa

So one thing I'm curious about, do some bosses limit you to only summon 1 person before a boss? I noticed like 2 at least that once you summon someone before a Boss, all other summon signs go away.

Since I'm still only early game, part of me is afraid to upgrade my weapons anymore, in fear of not getting as many summons/getting summoned. I have a +4 Pyromancy Flame, so I think until I am a little farther in, I won't upgrade.

Tak3n

Banned
What level should I be for boss in the catacombs? I am getting nowhere with him. Trying to summons but no-one is using their soapstone by the goblet!

just keep hitting his
bracelets
... and roll out the way for his
poison
and when he raises a arm.... the
bracelets
are the key

Zoidberg

Pontif
is so much easier as a caster (pyro-melee hybrid), especially if you great chaos fire orb as
he summons his shade.
. It's a great spot to farm sunlight medals, so many people summoning.

AlanOC91

Can
flynns
ring only be a positive increase? Or can it actively reduce your normal attack power if your
equip load
is too high?

SCB3

Rotten Greatwood just been destroyed, easiest boss I've faced in any Action RPG (or DMC style game actually)

On to the next area!

What level should I be for boss in the catacombs? I am getting nowhere with him. Trying to summons but no-one is using their soapstone by the goblet!

In the little corridor leading up to the doors to the goblet-room (just over the wooden bridge), there's usually a shitton of people to summon.

Rotten Greatwood just been destroyed, easiest boss I've faced in any Action RPG (or DMC style game actually)

On to the next area!

giphy.gif

Leezard

Can
flynns
ring only be a positive increase? Or can it actively reduce your normal attack power if your
equip load
is too high?

When I was just below fat roll it gave zero increase in attack. I dunno how it behaves if you have fat roll, but it's just a waste of a slot unless that stat is really low.

AlanOC91

When I was just below fat roll it gave zero increase in attack. I dunno how it behaves if you have fat roll, but it's just a waste of a slot unless that stat is really low.

Cheers! I have two spare ring slots and I'm at 63% load but didn't want to equip it if it was going to reduce my attack power.

Beat it as melee, hardly got hit.

obviously get rid of the ballista. Then get in front of it, enough in front so all its wiggling around doesn't hit you. Let it do all its crazy moving, then it will curl up and raise up to shoot electricity at you, just run at it and stab until it's about to move again and run back out. Repeat.

Manu

Alright so I found (optional area)
alternate Firelink Shrine and gave the Firekeeper her eyes. Now she asked me if I want a world without fire.

I guess this influences which ending I'll get?

Quoting for new page (for 50ppp casuls)

Curing it requires you
giving an item to the fire keeper. The item is
a Firekeeper soul. It will also require a bunch of souls, the amount depends on how much hollowing you have.

Thnx, already done this last night. I was just wondering if im fucking up myself if i go through with the hollowing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom