• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobaka770

Banned
I see a lot of people complainig about the interconnectedness of the world. Here are my thoughts (didn't finish the game yet).

Dark Souls 1 has amazing interconnectedness, it was mind-boggling. However, this all stems from a very vertical world design. Things are basically sitting on top if each other like in a tower. Even the separate level of Anor Londo is visually placed on top of the rest of the map. Discarding Dark Souls 2 which is a shameful mess, Miyazaki is slowly moving to less vertical but more horizontal worlds.

We can see it already in Bloodborne where Yharnam has only 3 levels of verticality (Old Yharnam/New Yharnam/Cathedral Ward) but the city feels larger. We also get to explore the surrounding areas such as the forest, Byrenwerth and Hemwich Charnel Lane. In Dark Souls 1 even the garden level was vertical and had 2 layers.

Dark Souls 3 continues that tradition and the interconnected areas form a more horizontal sprawling map
and all of it is located under Lothric Wall which you can see from almost any location
. The benefits of such design is that the world does feel much larger and in a way more believable. If you think about it, most of the lords of Lordran lived eerily close to each other. Lothric's map makes a bit more sense spatially as if it is the real kingdom and not things piled up on each other. However, obviously once we deal with a horizontal map the amount of interconnected areas is drastically reduced.

I think in Dark Souls 1 players were lost vertically at first with the levels twisting up and down and that's why it was so suprising to find the shortcuts. The areas in Lothric can be easier understood spatially and the "wow" of finding a shortcut is lessened. Moreover there cannot be a central in-world hub anymore as the levels veer away too much. All in all, however both designs have their pros and cons, I found that within the same level the designs are awesome and some connections are still providing the sense of amazement. (
Farron Wolf shortcut rising back to the bridge comes to mind
)

I also don't mind the idea of linearity in the beginning of the game. To be fair for 99% of people, Undead Burg - Parish - Sweres - Blighttown waas the only path anyway. The game does open up later on and I don't feel like it's limiting in any way. I also like how we basically start at the top and then gargoyles bring us down to the rest of the interconnected world, like an inverse Anor Londor from Dark Souls 1

I'm looking for some help in the earlier areas. I will try to keep the spoilers to a minimum, but I'm up against the following boss:
Abyss Watchers
and I am wondering if there is any other pathway I can go instead of keep fighting and or grinding? I would love to explore more and come back a little later after I level up some more (I'm currently getting completely wrecked
in two maybe three if I'm lucky swipes from his flame sword with my best gear on
. Which means I can fight the boss in my current state, but I cannot fuck up even once. I actually got heartrendingly close once...but alas.

Is there anywhere else for me to go? This is a reason why I enjoyed Dark Souls 1 so much. I could go leave a boss alone for a while and go off and find a completely new area to mess around in instead. I feel like I'm stuck at the end of a tunnel right now with my only option being grinding or bashing my head against the boss over and over again.

I need some honest opinions from people who don't like Dark Souls 2, do you like this?

That I disliked DS2 is an understatement and I think this one is great so far. It just feels good, right and satisfying to me, that's all I can say. It reminds me more of Demon's Souls actually than Dark Souls, obvious callbacks aside, just the feel of the gameplay I guess? The game is gorgeous as well, tons of beautiful scenery and cool enemy designs.

Sane_Man

Maybe it's because I've just re-specced at the end of NG+1 but sorcery seem powerful to me. I was just farming the knights at
Anor Londor
and I was wrecking them with a couple of hits of magic.

sobaka770

Banned
You need to spoiler PLACE NAMES in your post. Thanks for spoiling that "that" place is in the game for me.

EDIT: Scratch that, I misread. Thought you said something was in this game but you said it was in DkS1. My bad.

Oh man, I was rereading my post like crazy :) No problem.

Laws00

I am in the catacombs and i am sooooo not for this shit.

I want to proceed but I don't want to proceed for some stupid reason. I want to explore but I don't feel like going through this bullshit.

I also just ran straight through and fought the boss, he wasn't that hard....lol

I used all my estus trying to run away from invaders

I think I need to slow down. I went in way to hard, too fast with this game. (no pun intended)

Did the Dark Souls 2 team design
Smouldering Lake
? Because it's a bunch of fucking hallways and rooms that all look the same with basic geometry and where the fuck am I supposed to go? Is this an optional area? I've been all around this place and there's nothing except for an overpowered NPC and tons of annoying enemies. The only other available area is asking for a doll I don't have and don't know how to get.

DeaDPo0L84

Hey there Gaf,few questions for vets out there.

-I put a heavy gem into a dark sword since I'm currently at 40 STR/15 DEX and wanted the A strength scaling. Can I no longer put a fire gem into it now without losing the heavy gem benefits?

-me and my wife as well as friends can never seem to group up via password rooms. We are within 10 levels of eachother which if I understand correctly shouldn't matter anyways. Is there any trick to getting it to work more efficiently or am I possibly missing something.

-how do I get into the locked cell in the beginning castle that seems to go down to a fight? I looked everywhere I could but only found the key for the npc.

Thanks in advance.

Tarkus

An invader was taking forever to find me so I messaged him that I was at the first bonfire and that it was 1v1. Dude finally comes, I do my empty flask motion, we duel, and I deplete him to 25% of health. He runs away and heals. These fucking people.

Did the Dark Souls 2 team design
Smouldering Lake
? Because it's a bunch of fucking hallways and rooms that all look the same with basic geometry and where the fuck am I supposed to go? Is this an optional area? I've been all around this place and there's nothing except for an overpowered NPC and tons of annoying enemies. The only other available area is asking for a doll I don't have and don't know how to get.

That doll is in an area connected to a place you passed long before where you are now. You need to take another look around in C
rucifixion
W
oods

Also, I didn't find the place you're talking about that bad, but yes, it is optional.

Sane_Man

I am in the catacombs and i am sooooo not for this shit.

I want to proceed but I don't want to proceed for some stupid reason. I want to explore but I don't feel like going through this bullshit.

I also just ran straight through and fought the boss, he wasn't that hard....lol

I used all my estus trying to run away from invaders

I think I need to slow down. I went in way to hard, too fast with this game. (no pun intended)

Taking a blessed weapon with you makes it much more tolerable. Shit stays dead.

It does.

"Skill: Storm King
Assume a stance to imbue sword with storm. Most effective when facing giants".

Kinda hard to read in the middle of battle, though.

No I mean the waiting for a full charge.

I was holding L2 and doing the sword art, I was getting the "storm" thing around the sword so I thought I was doing it right.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hey there Gaf,few questions for vets out there.

-I put a heavy gem into a dark sword since I'm currently at 40 STR/15 DEX and wanted the A strength scaling. Can I no longer put a fire gem into it now without losing the heavy gem benefits?

-me and my wife as well as friends can never seem to group up via password rooms. We are within 10 levels of eachother which if I understand correctly shouldn't matter anyways. Is there any trick to getting it to work more efficiently or am I possibly missing something.

-how do I get into the locked cell in the beginning castle that seems to go down to a fight? I looked everywhere I could but only found the key for the npc.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the same covenant item equipped? And the host needs to have ember. Both be in the same area before putting down the white mark.

Timeaisis

I'm looking for some help in the earlier areas. I will try to keep the spoilers to a minimum, but I'm up against the following boss:
Abyss Watchers
and I am wondering if there is any other pathway I can go instead of keep fighting and or grinding? I would love to explore more and come back a little later after I level up some more (I'm currently getting completely wrecked
in two maybe three if I'm lucky swipes from his flame sword with my best gear on
. Which means I can fight the boss in my current state, but I cannot fuck up even once. I actually got heartrendingly close once...but alas.

Is there anywhere else for me to go? This is a reason why I enjoyed Dark Souls 1 so much. I could go leave a boss alone for a while and go off and find a completely new area to mess around in instead. I feel like I'm stuck at the end of a tunnel right now with my only option being grinding or bashing my head against the boss over and over again.

There's an entire new area you can go to right now if you keep exploring the
road of sacrifices

Tenebrous

Not played since Friday (as I'm right near the end I believe & just exploring before NG+ anyway), logged on today, and my Claymore is doing like 100 more damage... I guess that's what the "Performance adjustment for Greatsword" was.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Question about summoning in
anor londo

I can only summon 1 person for help on that boss, and it's kicking my ass.

Why am I limited?

sora87

Dragonslayer
finally down, been on it this fight all bloody night. My friend said if I had that much trouble on it the next two bosses are gonna be impossible for me lol

Has anyone tried the Firelink Greatsword (transposed from the soul of the final boss). What are your opinions? It scales with str/dex. Is it viable for a quality build? It has some fire damage, but I'm not a pyromancer.

Dancer was... really easy.

Was this the boss people were building up in the thread that was one of the best in the Soul series? I literally Twin Swordblade'd her/him to death via weapon art and laceration item buff

Was this the boss people were building up in the thread that was one of the best in the Soul series? I literally Twin Swordblade'd her/him to death via weapon art and laceration item buff

I didn't think she was that difficult, but she can definitely be challenging if you rush or misread her attacks.

So I've started invading people and I'm sure people hate me.

I go into the C
atacombs
of C
arthus
area and
run across the bridge to the boss and cut it. Eventually the host will see me on the other side doing dumb emotes and run across the side. I meet them there and when they drop down to me I use my Force Miracle and it knocks them down into the abyss. I feel like a scumbag but I can't not laugh like an dumb supervillain whenever it works.

DeaDPo0L84

Do you have the same covenant item equipped? And the host needs to have ember. Both be in the same area before putting down the white mark.

I believe we are both part of the sun convenant. We have tried to summon eachother with one using ember and other putting chalk down at the same exact spot. I'm reading that weapon scale level could be causing issues. I don't think she's upgraded any particular weapon.

Menitta

Just started downloading! Probably won't be able to play until OT2 is up though. This'll be my 2nd game in the series. Exciting!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Question about summoning in
anor londo

I can only summon 1 person for help on that boss, and it's kicking my ass.

Why am I limited?

There's an item you can use
that will allow you to summon an additional friendly but it also lets a second red invade you.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Question regarding how far I am, for those who beaten the game?
just arrived at profaned capital (the bonfire) and have yet to beat pontiff at Irithyll. I also have frigid dancer left, he's impossible :) have I passed the midpoint?

Arjen

Yeah i was surprised too after seeing all the people having problems,
I had only 5 flask left after Yorhm and beat it in one try
I think it's a fun fight though, cool atmosphere and movement.

DukeBobby

I didn't think she was that difficult, but she can definitely be challenging if you rush or misread her attacks.

Yep, she got me a few times because I was really impatient during her second form. She goes down pretty quickly, though. It definitely feels like a boss fight that should be a little earlier in the game.

Well,
I guess she can be fought early if you're the kind of player who likes to murder any NPC they come across.

Sane_Man

so should I keep it? are there downsides to keeping it i should know? and what's this "dark ending"?

There's no downside to keeping it other than if you have a serious issue with looking hollowed. I don't want to spoil too much, but the dark ending involves following Anri of Astora's questline. The woman you see with Horace. As long as you follow her dialogue as well as the woman who eventually replaces the pilgrim who made you hollow you'll unlock the dark ending.

Aurongel

Biggest emotional reaction so far for me:
Finding the corpse of the giant blacksmith :[

Strong he was. Forge he could :[

Sane_Man

Question regarding how far I am, for those who beaten the game?
just arrived at profaned capital (the bonfire) and have yet to beat pontiff at Irithyll. I also have frigid dancer left, he's impossible :) have I passed the midpoint?

Definitely past half way, nearing on two thirds.

had a great session and knocked out
aldritch, dancer, and demon god
within about 10 tries each. Honestly, had more trouble with some early game bosses just cause I was souls-rusty i guess.

had a double KO with
aldritch
that I luckily caught on stream. the greed was strong, as it always is.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I believe we are both part of the sun convenant. We have tried to summon eachother with one using ember and other putting chalk down at the same exact spot. I'm reading that weapon scale level could be causing issues. I don't think she's upgraded any particular weapon.

I did co-op with my friend today and he's miles ahead of my second character so I doubt it's that. To get it working we did this:

I used ember as the host
We both set the same, exact password in the network settings
We both equipped way of the blue covenant items
We both went to the same area (you CANNOT summon if you've killed the area boss)
He used the white soapstone
About 10 seconds later his white mark appeared and I used it to summon him

We did have an issue where his mark wouldn't show up for me, but after we both restarted the game it worked just fine. Other than that I don't know mate. For us it was the covenant items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom