• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

You can definitely go with a Dex build in this game, you get Uchigatana pretty early on and it's a pretty good dex weapon.

Alternatively you can always play a Str/Dex hybrid as 1h swords were way more useful than greatswords prepatch and they don't require that much strength and some scale with both str and dex.

Okay, I'm around 15 hours in on the PS4 version. Currently
at the Catacombs, just killed Volric or the giant skeleton guy.
Thoughts:

PROS
-This game is really fucking good.
-Enemy design is top notch, once again. I have to say, the
zombies whose guts come to life and take over the corpse as
are an absolute fucking out of this world design. I never thought Bloodborne would be topped in this area but I just fucking lost it when I saw this enemy.
-NPC's, compelling and interesting. Nothing unusual.
-The goal of the journey is a lot more clear and interesting than Dark Souls II imo. Tying the lore to specific gods or lords that you eventually fight is really cool.
-The Skill inclusion is really compelling.
-Return to form for covenants from Bloodborne. The
Farron
covenant is really fun.
What the fuck is this giant electric slug thing I discovered in the catacombs!?
My heart leapt from my chest. How is this thing not a boss??
-Fashion Souls is alive and well.
-The giant guy I befriended is really cool and saved my ass against a crab. Love the concept of him helping you throughout the game.
CONS
-Getting a little fatigued at the same-ish castle and run-down impoverished village segments.
-Some of the enemies completely ignore barriers and attack through walls. I have a recording of a a dog that literally "swims" through a staircase and a wall to get to me. Happened more than once.
-Frame pacing.
-Interconnectivity, though this world is a lot more believable than Dark Souls II was.

Any kind of "Heavy" build seems pretty shoddy, UGS are pretty shit, GS are better but still not great and heavy armour having no real poise also makes it feel pointless (fasionsouls aside of course), relying on a shield vs super stamina enemies, etc. . The infusion system gives mediocre stuff a boost but it feels like theres always significantly superior options, especially in PvP

Heavy infusions aren't necessarily for literally heavy weapons. Dunno what your point is here. Heavy infusions work for more than just UGS and GS, or large clubs or large axes.

And as far as mediocre things getting a boost, most weapons in past Souls games don't have S scaling. People are too quick to discount B scaling weapons.

For pvp, yes, there will always be a meta where certain weapons trump others for certain specific target levels, but I for one am glad they don't balance the weapons just around pvp.

Again, I feel like a lot of people think "If my weapon doesn't 1 or 2 shot regular enemies, it's complete shit and not viable". And this mentality bothers me given the crazy amount of weapons you can MAKE VIABLE (in the actual, correct meaning of viable) using the generous infusion system.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently using Uchigatana on my second run, is there a weapon that most Dex users switch to later on or do most of you just use it forever?

I'm currently using Uchigatana on my second run, is there a weapon that most Dex users switch to later on or do most of you just use it forever?

Chaos Blade has higher damage than Sharp Uchigatana due to Chaos Blade having S scaling, but Chaos Blade cannot be buffed or infused.

Edit: Some numbers for you, from my friend who has both upgraded:

With 45 dex, Sharp Uchi maxed has 381 damage with Chaos Blade maxed having 422

Simply not true at all. STR is fine, but it is not better than DEX in any shape or form. Magic is lacking for sure. If you do go the STR route I would suggest against Great Swords / UGS' for now unless your heart is set on it.

Slow hitting/heavy weapons make the game harder if anything. This game is more like Bloodborne than Dark Souls in terms of balance/combat. Shields and heavy armor got nerfed hard. I would suggest against relying heavily on shields and learn to just roll through every attack in the game.

The bosses can be relentless and attack quickly and rapidly heavily favoring fast hitting weapons. Your windows of opportunity with slow weapons are very limited. I would also suggest going light/medium armor simply because of this:
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ltsquigs/blog/dark-souls-3-breaking-the-tank/113034/

Pump up your HP and stamina and don't worry about upping your equip load to wear heavy armor unless you want an increased challenge.

At the end of the day just play what you have fun with!

Dimmle

I love the C
atacombs
, they're so goofy. So many skeleton japes.

(this area is still technically a spoiler, right?)

TitusTroy

anyone else feel From Software went a little overboard with their DS1 (and DS2) references in the game?...callbacks are nice but at times it feels a bit too much

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm trying but that asshole wraith keeps giving me everything but his sword. Gonna farm him tonight.

Literally the first one I killed in this current run dropped it, got lucky. I then got one again killing the one
in the high wall.

I actually thought they were really high % drops before now.

I was disappointed by the damage output, so I sharpstoned a claymore. Never went back

anyone else feel From Software went a little overboard with their DS1 (and DS2) references in the game?...callbacks are nice but at times it feels a bit too much

Personally, I don't think the callbacks are just callbacks, but I'll keep my lore speculations out of the thread.

Sifl

So I've been farming
Silver Knights
for the
Blade of the Darkmoon
covenant items with the covenant equipped. I haven't been summoned once and have only got 4 items in 2 days, lol....

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Boss nine,
Pontiff Sulyvahn
, down on my first try. I found this area a tad easier than the past couple.

Astral

How good is the Obscuring Ring for PvE. I feel like enemies can see me just fine from far away even with it on. The Carthus Milkring doesn't seem to help much either. I wanna be a ninja dammit.

Can someone explain how the weapon buffs work? I'm using Magic Weapon with a basic sorcerer catalyst, and it looks like the buffing is a function of the Spell Buff stat. But, other catalysts seem to have worse buff stat that the started Sorcerer one? The same with talismans really, everything seems to have a worse buff stat then the 500 soul cheapie at the start. If I'm not a dedicated int or fth build, is it better to just stick with the starter catalysts for the purpose of buffing the weapon? Any point in upgrading the catalyst at the smith?

KHlover

Banned
Dark Souls 3 |OT2| Thread can not be opened from this site (or whatever the exact English english version of this text is, wouldn't know since I'm German)

jett

D-Member
Did I ran into a bug or is this by design? In
Lothric
Castle, the
Dragons became completely inactive after I ran through them.
Huh.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Reading the comments for the ENB playthrough is hilarious. I know I shouldn't but I'm inexplicably drawn to them. I haven't seen meldowns like this since Giant Bomb did their endurance run of Persona 4.

Instead of rage quitting in there today after a death,I actually laughed my head off... ;)

Those red eyed skeletons are complete assholes. Then you're blocking their attacks like crazy when you stumble upon 20 skeletons coming to life all at once to join in all the fun!

Rixxan

At the
consumed king gardens / lothric castle

One shot Dancer with only 3 estus

Aldrich took me a few tries though - so many varied attacks

About what percentage complete am I?

Nekrono

Consesus seems:
Dex players say it favors strength
Strength players say it favors DEX.
I've been running DEX with katanas, and it's as viable as other games.

You can definitely go with a Dex build in this game, you get Uchigatana pretty early on and it's a pretty good dex weapon.

Alternatively you can always play a Str/Dex hybrid as 1h swords were way more useful than greatswords prepatch and they don't require that much strength and some scale with both str and dex.

Simply not true at all. STR is fine, but it is not better than DEX in any shape or form. Magic is lacking for sure. If you do go the STR route I would suggest against Great Swords / UGS' for now unless your heart is set on it.

Slow hitting/heavy weapons make the game harder if anything. This game is more like Bloodborne than Dark Souls in terms of balance/combat. Shields and heavy armor got nerfed hard. I would suggest against relying heavily on shields and learn to just roll through every attack in the game.

The bosses can be relentless and attack quickly and rapidly heavily favoring fast hitting weapons. Your windows of opportunity with slow weapons are very limited. I would also suggest going light/medium armor simply because of this:
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ltsquigs/blog/dark-souls-3-breaking-the-tank/113034/

Pump up your HP and stamina and don't worry about upping your equip load to wear heavy armor unless you want an increased challenge.

At the end of the day just play what you have fun with!

Thanks! Good info, I've set my mind on a Dex build now. Seems like the best route, especially after having played so much STR builds in the past.

Reading the comments for the ENB playthrough is hilarious. I know I shouldn't but I'm inexplicably drawn to them. I haven't seen meldowns like this since Giant Bomb did their endurance run of Persona 4.

I'm watching his playthrough since I'm so far ahead of him, but I haven't been reading the comments. What could they possibly be complaining about?

Although I will say I'm sad he lost so much footage when he made such a huge deal about going in blind in the first place.

I know, I know, not his fault his SSD failed, but it's still a bit annoying.

eot

Banned
Okay, I'm around 15 hours in on the PS4 version. Currently
at the Catacombs, just killed Volric or the giant skeleton guy.
Thoughts:

What the fuck is this giant electric slug thing I discovered in the catacombs!?
My heart leapt from my chest. How is this thing not a boss??

Not entirely done with that area but I didn't find that.
Need to explore some more I guess.

zewone

At the
consumed king gardens / lothric castle

One shot Dancer with only 3 estus

Aldrich took me a few tries though - so many varied attacks

About what percentage complete am I?

80-90%?

I guess it depends on how much optional content you missed.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm watching his playthrough since I'm so far ahead of him, but I haven't been reading the comments. What could they possibly be complaining about?

Although I will say I'm sad he lost so much footage when he made such a huge deal about going in blind in the first place.

I know, I know, not his fault his SSD failed, but it's still a bit annoying.

He was wary about using
the draw out true strength from Yoel
and people got extremely mad. Accused him of not paying enough attention while others accused him of not explicitly detailing every decision he's making to the audience, while even more are mad that he's not reading their comments/tips/instructions on how to play the game to their liking etc.

Today was about him missing
an extremely easy to miss covenant prior to killing the tree boss

I have to say that he's caught a lot more stuff than I ever did on my first playthrough so far, that's for sure.

Nameless

I just killed a 3v1. The thirst for blood is real!

Nice! I could do it semi regularly in Bloodborne but it's so much harder here for obvious reasons. I feel accomplished by taking at least taking one down with me, or surviving long enough to give the assholes a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom