• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

zma1013

Does the pontiff left eye ring work? It doesnt seem to do what it says. I cant get health back no matter how quick i attack.

What weapons? I'm doing pyro, been using an estoc but haven't leveled it that high yet or infused.

Estoc is a really solid choice if you like the moveset. You'll see huge, huge gains when you infuse, though. Chaos/dark infusion are absolutely key to making a pyromancer/melee hybrid feel broken in PvE. As for other weapons, Astora Greatsword is nice because of the scaling (A in Faith and Int). Other people swear by the Witch's Locks. I mostly play pretty stock, though, and run a chaos AND dark infused Dark Sword at the same time to take advantage of elemental resistances. It just feels like the best all around weapon at the moment.

That said, any weapon that gives you B scaling in int/faith with infusion (which includes the Estoc) will get you nearly all the utility of a str/dex build on top of the abilities to nuke from a distance and turn most mobs against each other.

I've spent hours trying out different classes, still unsure what to do.
Tonight I rolled a Thief and really enjoyed the speed of the shabby shabby daggers.
I cheesed the Uchigitana with my bow and have a fire gem, not sure whether to infuse my bandit's dagger or the uchigitana.

I was thinking of maybe pumping more into luck and trying to have some shabby poison dagger action at some point, viable?

Fire infused daggers are awesome. Light enough to carry around most of the times, quick step through swamps, stagger those gooey hollow abomination things, stagger lock those disgusting maggot creatures, and destroy those annoying slimes. No need to switch out the main weapon through the menu too.

Does the pontiff left eye ring work? It doesnt seem to do what it says. I cant get health back no matter how quick i attack.

It works, but not very well. Only time it is useful is when fighting that mob boss. As long as you use a weapon that can hit many enemies at once, you won't even need to estus during that fight if you have the ring on.

As someone who rolled Arstor Spear in a Dex/Luck build, poison is traaaaaash. It's actually handy in PvP as most people aren't set up to handle or pay attention to it but it does such negligible damage even over a long time that I don't understand why it's so low.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
About making a luck/bleed build...

The coal and gem(s) for hollow/bleed are pretty late in the game, yes? I don't want to necessarily use
Anri's Straight Sword
, and might go with the Warden's Twinblades instead (currently using Sellsword's Twinblades).

Any suggestions for infusions/stats allocation until I get the damn stuff that scales with luck? Just go sharp/dex and use Carthus rouge whenever?

Depends. If your final weapon when infused has good Dex scaling beyond Bleed or Hollow, then go a Dex weapon or Sharp a good weapon you like. If your final weapon has D scaling in Dex, just go in raaaaaaw or fire/simple/whatever adds elemental damage without scaling. Those should carry you to your destined weapon

sappyday

Holy shit. I just finished farming
Wolf's Blood Swordgrass
from the
Grhu
at
Farron Keep

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It took me around 4 hours to go from 2 or 3 to the 30 I needed. I was using the fatty armor and the Symbol of Avarice, Gold Serpent +1 and that item drop sword, while holding with both hands my Heavy Dark Sword +10. I went in, stomped the two first enemies, then deal with the third one. I'm sure there must be a more elegant way to deal with them, but it worked for me 9 times out of 10... when I wasn't completely stunlocked by those stupidly large spears.

Just how effective is Poise in this game? I remember "poise tanking" back in DS1, but my character always gets interrupted by hits, even at +30 Poise.

How? I can't even get 1 in like 30 minutes worth of time. Getting Dregs is a lot easier. I got 6 of them in like 10 minutes. Fuck I hate these drop rates.

Hey quick questions: What can you drop and have a friend pick up?
Apparently you were able to drop Titanite but not any more? Can you drop boss souls/weapons?

Smelter Demon is basically a litmus test for people who know how to dodge roll, and those who do not. Because all of his attacks are super easy to dodge, but if you try to tank his stuff with a shield, yeah, you're gonna have a bad time.
I remember this bastard of a boss. Made me quite DS2 the first time. Came back to DS2 when I was preparing for Bloodborne and I rant through all Souls games. Beat him on my firt try on SotFS. Great boss, but he really is a test of your rolling dominance and understanding of the inv frames.

JDB

Banned
The run up to the Smelter Demon was tougher to deal with than the boss himself. I still get nightmares about that area.

Here's a code for the prima e-guide if anyone wants it/wants to laugh at its typos and outright lies (quote to reveal).

Oh yeah this reminded me that I had been meaning to give my code for an e-guide to GAF as well. Enter at primagames.com/code and again quote to reveal. Enjoy!

Skii

Okay, I
rithyll dungeons
is one of the worst areas in the game if not the Souls series.
Those women with the irons are fucking horrible. Literally drains an estus each encounter with them. I don't know what's the trick to stopping them from eating at your HP bar like that. Ridiculous enemy.

Anyway, managed to kill the giant and find a shortcut (finally!). Also came across Siegward but I can't find a way to get to him at all. I found the old cell key. I assume it's for him? I'd like to complete at least his quest on my first playthrough. I must save the onion bro!

I've just hit the profaned capital bonfire so I'll be going through there next

But yeah, that area has good design but by god was it frustrating. It's just an amalgamation of all the shit enemies in the game so far.

Ogawa-san

Got ultrawide to work thanks to this guy's fine work.

Bless PC gaming.

h8REURi.jpg

p5Gpv2H.jpg

ecosse_011172

Oh yeah this reminded me that I had been meaning to give my code for an e-guide to GAF as well. Enter at primagames.com/code and again quote to reveal. Enjoy![/EMAIL][/QUOTE]

Thanks so much!

Novocaine

Platinum get!

Man that ring trophy is real dumb.

After killing the 3rd lord of cinder I never got a cut scene, figured it was a change in the new patch. Went down to find Dancer and Emma was still there. So I just killed her and moved on. Got to the Grand Archives and the key wasn't there. Was so close to flipping my shit, seeing as there was 1 ring behind the door. But I ended up getting the cut scene by travelling back to the Aldrich bonfire. Thank god.

Overall spent 125 hours. I'm going to probably play through NG+4 just to try out sorcery but other than that I think I'm done with it until the DLC.

cm osi

Okay, I
rithyll dungeons
Those women with the irons are fucking horrible. Literally drains an estus each encounter with them. I don't know what's the trick to stopping them from eating at your HP bar like that. Ridiculous enemy.

Anyway, managed to kill the giant and find a shortcut (finally!). Also came across Siegward but I can't find a way to get to him at all. I found the old cell key. I assume it's for him? I'd like to complete at least his quest on my first playthrough. I must save the onion bro!

But yeah, that area has good design but by god was it frustrating. It's just an amalgamation of all the shit enemies in the game so far.

key is back in the dungeon so wait and find it before going for the boss

Gestahl

Okay, I
rithyll dungeons

There'll be an enemy npc in a side area, before the boss.
Jump into the window next to where you fight him
before fighting the boss to get to the cell and get the quest reward.

Skii

key is back in the dungeon so wait and find it before going for the boss

There'll be an enemy npc in a side area, before the boss.
Jump into the window next to where you fight him
before fighting the boss to get to the cell and get the quest reward.

enemy NPC? I've ran the area unkindled. Darn it, must've missed them. Is there a boss in the
dungeon?
. I must've missed an entire area then!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
the run up to sir alonne was worse
Nah, not even close. Just a few Alonne knights. Not annoying archers and mages that slow you down and even silence you so you can't even use magic back on them.

Well I was referring to the normal one, but fuck that area as well. In fact, fuck all the co-op areas in the DS2 DLC.
Never had a problem with Iron Keep tbh. The alonne knights are quite manageable.

Gestahl

enemy NPC? I've ran the area unkindled. Darn it, must've missed them. Is there a boss in the
dungeon?
. I must've missed an entire area then!

It's not an invader, it's a guy on top of a building past the Capital bonfire

Sometimes enemy NPCs are just there, surprised the fuck out of me when I went down the
Demon Ruins
unkindled and that guy with the FUGS was still laying in wait

Good thing he and the
BK
didn't agree with each other too well

Vena

Jesus! Thanks for that. I'll have to try it.
I'm gonna need to git gud at parrying first though

I've only ever tried fighting him honestly, which is a complete bitch at sl1.

Practice on the Lothric Knights and the Blue Knight, he has very similar wind ups to Pontiff.

Oh yeah I had been meaning to give my code for an e-guide to GAF. Posting one more time for the new page in case anyone is interested. Enter at primagames.com/code and quote to reveal. Enjoy!

Joey Ravn

Banned
I've been trying some Mound-Maker PvP... Yeah, it's definitely not for me. I really, really despise competitive multiplayer interactions.

I'll farm them on my own at Carthus while watching a movie or something. I've already completed the W
atchdogs of Farron
and F
inger's of Rosaria
covenants this way :)

Right now at almost 300 AR (+1) even with Fire Clutch Ring, just meeting the stat requirements, it does less damage than my sellsword twinblades +3 that have 158 AR (20 dex) on normal enemies in places like the Road of Sacrifice or Crucifixion Woods.

God fucking dammit. :(

Gonna re-spec I guess. Might have to settle for luck/bleed build and farm the Cathedral for the Warden's twinblades. Still, hollow/bleed infusions are super late in the game right?

Goddamn this game's coal system. Whyyyy

Meh that was in Demon's Souls too. :p Just use flash sweat, flame stoneplate, stack fire resist armour and chug estus. I haven't died there yet.

Yeah that isn't Anri, that's Sirris. Anri re-appears for the second time in the Catacombs but sometimes they're not there; they weren't there in my first playthrough and just disappeared. Sorry.

My friend uses the great club and enjoys it so far. Try that maybe.

Really? Has that thing finally been buffed in a patch? At 35 faith with the firstborn ring it was still crap... think I used the cleric's sacred chime as it had the best spell buff I had so far.

I'm super late responding to this, but Faith scales all the way up 60 points really well. Its also important to do spears at melee range get the second attack to proc. At range a spear does like 900 damage.

Yes. It's a strong quality weapon in it's base form and in it's Sharp form it outdoes every other katana short of a Chaos Blade for a pure DEX build without the disadvantage of an HP drain (and it's only weaker than Chaos Blade by like, 15-20 AR).

Its also a great candidate for raw and then applying a buff. Not as good the Astora Straight sword, but still great.

zma1013

How do you tell if a shield is good (or better at) for parrying?

The parry animation looks fancier on good parrying shields. A regular shield just does a boring horizontal swing while a parry shield will do a fancy upward twirl. The fancy parry has more parry frames.

masterkajo

I am trying to level up the following covenant
Watchdogs of Farron. But I hardly get any invasions going. I am about SL50 with a +6 weapon. I just found out that the weapon level does play a part in matchmaking. So my high level and my +6 weapon basically prevent me from being summoned in the low level woods. Is there a way for me to get the needed covenant items to level it up? Preferably by invasions? Are there some other woods where I get summoned later on where I can do this? I hate to have missed out on a cool covenant and some PvP action.

zma1013

Holy shit im playing with Murderface from the character creator thread.

Edit: oh im an idiot, its a character that many people probably made.

Gestahl

I am trying to level up the following covenant
Watchdogs of Farron. But I hardly get any invasions going. I am about SL50 with a +6 weapon. I just found out that the weapon level does play a part in matchmaking. So my high level and my +6 weapon basically prevent me from being summoned in the low level woods. Is there a way for me to get the needed covenant items to level it up? Preferably by invasions? Are there some other woods where I get summoned later on where I can do this? I hate to have missed out on a cool covenant and some PvP action.

You've been banished to the grass mines friend

Keep Ruins bonfire (or Perimeter if you want to farm
BK
while you're at it) > Murder 3 Ghrus with high item discovery> Rest > Repeat

There's another covenant in a later area that's more or less the same idea but it uses different items so no grass until you start getting into ng+ levels and people are bothering to reequip the watchdogs again

The other one works way more reliably though (like not having enough time to rip the covenant ring off between summonings fast in some cases) so that's probably a better PvP option in the long run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom