• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit a bit of an impasse. Can't get past the roof section on the cathedral of the deep. Those little guys mobbing you and twin schimatar ladies are just destroying me.

Last night I decided to look up how to encounter P
atches
as on NG+ I still hadn't seen him. I even went to the
well
and nothing triggered, I just don't get it. I eventually reloaded and got that, then after getting nothing in the CotD I went back to FS and that event triggered.

By the 5th game you'd think they would find a way to have the spawns not be locked away behind a reload.

One at a time, go slowly until you learn where the little dudes are hiding. If they're above you can usually see them hanging off walls.

Looks like I'm not the only one having repeated trouble with him.

There's a part where about 5 jump at you at once, and I just can't get them 1-1.

I'm jsut going to run through it all. It sucks.

Toxi

Banned
Anyone keeping up with ENB's playthrough?
I have never been annoyed by a lets play before but honestly don't bother watching episode 27 and 28. He spends about 45 minutes fighting Pontiff, getting him down to one hit from dying and then stops and says 'no I don't understand the battle yet' and just lets himself be killed.
It's funny,
he seems to love the boss and I really don't know why. He feels like a Dark Souls 2 boss, and not in a good way.

I haven't watched the series, but that doesn't seem like the craziest thing to do. I probably wouldn't just let a boss kill me, but I also don't do SL 1 runs either.

Maybe not the craziest thing to do but as a viewing experience it's just a bit irritating, you know? At least edit it down a bit or something.

Toxi

Banned
Hit a bit of an impasse. Can't get past the roof section on the cathedral of the deep. Those little guys mobbing you and twin schimatar ladies are just destroying me.
Memorize the enemy positions and go slow, triggering as few foes as possible for each encounter. You should be fighting the little thralls two at a time.

Scimitar ladies are nasty. Always only fight them one at a time after all the other enemies are dead. If you start getting bleed build-up, retreat until it's lower.

I'm thinking of playing as a mage for my NG+ (cince it seems i'm screwed for a luck build since I can't go hollow in this NG :/).
How many point should I put in attunement ? Also, should I up dex or is it useless ?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Get a bow so you can shoot the little rascals whilst they're hanging. One shot to make them fall, then quickly aim where they land and let another fly. If they aren't dead they'll be very weak when they come over to you.

Grave Wardens are tough. Just draw them out away from mobs and dodge/block till you get a decent opening.

Sarcasm

So with a LS would it be better to have B&B scaling via refined

or go heavy for A in STR? But if you go STR may as well use something..bigger right?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
First stage of NK is relatively easy. Second? Not so much. Any tips for a shieldless, katana-only build?

Also:

Noticed some interesting things RE: Katanas. It looks like the WP uses the same amount of stamina as all the other Katanas (tested 2 handed), it's just a fraction slower (unless that's an optical illusion).

Although WP has the highest AR, when I was using it on
The Twin Princes
both the Black Blade and the Uchi did more damage per R1 2H strike. I think the figures were roughly:

WP: 220
Uchi: 237
Black Blade: 287

On paper, WP out damages both those considerably, particularly the Uchi (which was +9 as opposed the other two which were +10). Any ideas why that be?

Thanks - all really helpful. Anywhere I can get a good bow? I only have the longbow at the moment.

I think that's probably the best you're gonna get at the moment, unless there's a Great Bow prior to CotD. I don't recall.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Just beat it! Man it feels good. 50 fucking hours man. Easily one of the best games I've played this gen.
Fuck the weak ass ending I got though damn. Dude just sits next to the fire, and then credits lol.

nilbog21

Banned
is it pretty common for people to play through the entire game with the raw longsword you start out with? any weapon with similar moveset I can acquire ?

theaface

Thanks - all really helpful. Anywhere I can get a good bow? I only have the longbow at the moment.

The Black Bow of Pharis drops from one of the tree-like enemies in Farron Keep. That's my main bow with a manageable weight that I can have equipped alongside my main weapon without going over 70% equip load.

co1onel

is it pretty common for people to play through the entire game with the raw longsword you start out with? any weapon with similar moveset I can acquire ?

Very common. It's one of the best weapons in the game, along with some of the other straight swords like the dark sword, sunlight sword and anri's sword. If you want something similar to straight swords, you could try out curved swords or greatswords.

Well I just got summoned as a Darkmoon Blade in the Undead Settlement where the host and I gave chase to an invader through the whole level. He kept getting backup, so it was pretty epic as we fought through to get the primary invader. It was a lot of fun with my sorcery build as I nuked enemies as they tried to kill the host. In the end the invader reached a fog wall and jumped of a cliff. I think he was hoping to reach the demon and in the chaos the host or I would die. Thankfully a fog gate appears at the tower. I got six ears from the whole event it was maybe my favorite moment in any Souls game.

Septimius

So with a LS would it be better to have B&B scaling via refined

or go heavy for A in STR? But if you go STR may as well use something..bigger right?

LS?

Anyway, it's up to your build. If you go for a "quality build" (40 str&dex) then refined is best. Heavier doesn't mean it's more suited for str, it's scaling that determines that. So if you find a weapon that has inherently high str scaling, it'll be even higher being refined with a Heavy Gem, and that way be better suited for a pure str build. Just remember that there's little to gain from going above 40 str, as damage increase slows down, aside from unlocking weapons that need more strength.

NHL94

Banned
I think I am going to try a STR/FTH build. I want something "heavier" than the pure DEX build I just finished with, plus I want to throw lightning at MFers.

Any advice?

co1onel

I think I am going to try a STR/FTH build. I want something "heavier" than the pure DEX build I just finished with, plus I want to throw lightning at MFers.

Any advice?

Get the dragonslayer greataxe as soon as you can. That thing is perfect for a str/fth build, or any build really. The L2 is godly. Lightning spells kinda suck unfortunately. If you want to get the most damage out of them, you have to hit from point blank.

Dyna

I have never been annoyed by a lets play before but honestly don't bother watching episode 27 and 28. He spends about 45 minutes fighting Pontiff, getting him down to one hit from dying and then stops and says 'no I don't understand the battle yet' and just lets himself be killed.

Yeah that was infuriating to watch honestly. On the one hand, I'm loving the playthrough so far because he's well acquainted with the Souls lore and picks up on a lot of small things I didn't even realize were there and overall it's fun to see his reactions to certain revelations in the game, but on the other hand I really dislike the way he tends to overanalyze some run of the mill situations, boss movements etc. I mean, c'mon, it's your first playthrough dude. I know, I know, he basically disabled comments on the series because of people telling him how he should or shouldn't be playing the game, but still, it is quite annoying if he gets stuck up on one thing that takes up almost half of the video's length - especially when he usually only uploads one part a day.

Arjen

Yeah I skipped trough most of those last episodes, really boring to watch. Some episodes are amazing to watch because he does have some great insights in the lore, but I wish he did some editing to make it more watchable.

Any advice?

Carry the Sunlight Talisman and Yorska chime. Chimes scale best, but the weapon skill on talismans allow you to have hyper armor when you cast. Keep in mind lightning spears proc for extra damage in melee range. Make sure to infuse an S scaling lightning weapon and have a raw weapon. The best str lightning weapon is probably the Astora great sword and for raw the Astora straight sword. I do think the best lightning weapon are the dual katanas, but that doesn't work for strength builds. If you want to dump a ton of points into Str then go for the Dragonslayer greataxe.

Sarcasm

LS?

Anyway, it's up to your build. If you go for a "quality build" (40 str&dex) then refined is best. Heavier doesn't mean it's more suited for str, it's scaling that determines that. So if you find a weapon that has inherently high str scaling, it'll be even higher being refined with a Heavy Gem, and that way be better suited for a pure str build. Just remember that there's little to gain from going above 40 str, as damage increase slows down, aside from unlocking weapons that need more strength.

Longsword. Which is why I think refined is still a better choice then hvy infusion.

Yeah I skipped trough most of those last episodes, really boring to watch. Some episodes are amazing to watch because he does have some great insights in the lore, but I wish he did some editing to make it more watchable.

It's not just another Lets Play, it's ENB's first trip through the game. He's thinking more of himself than the viewer, which is a good thing IMO.

DSmalls84

First stage of NK is relatively easy. Second? Not so much. Any tips for a shieldless, katana-only build?

Also:

Noticed some interesting things RE: Katanas. It looks like the WP uses the same amount of stamina as all the other Katanas (tested 2 handed), it's just a fraction slower (unless that's an optical illusion).

Although WP has the highest AR, when I was using it on
The Twin Princes
both the Black Blade and the Uchi did more damage per R1 2H strike. I think the figures were roughly:

WP: 220
Uchi: 237
Black Blade: 287

On paper, WP out damages both those considerably, particularly the Uchi (which was +9 as opposed the other two which were +10). Any ideas why that be?

I think that's probably the best you're gonna get at the moment, unless there's a Great Bow prior to CotD. I don't recall.

Try the carthus blood ring for the extra I-frames on your rolls. Made it easier for me. Also lightning resistance items if you have any.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Try the carthus blood ring for the extra I-frames on your rolls. Made it easier for me. Also lightning resistance items if you have any.

Cheers, man. I got the Bloodring on and wear the Robes of Prayer (one of the higher lightning resistances) to keep below 30% weight. Still having a terrible time! :D

Rutti

[Late game spoilers]
If I decide to give the
eyes to the fire keeper
, does it matter when I do it?

It doesn't matter as long as you give them before the final boss. Just giving them to her doesn't close off anything else.

Kolx

Chx7dHmWkAABlMc.jpg

Robiin

Ehhmm... I just found
Greirat's
Ashes in the sewers of Irithyll.. So he's apparently dead. What am I missing out on by not having him there? Any weapons/rings I won't be able to get or questlines I won't be able to complete? Apart from the fact that I liked the character, I won't miss much right?

Oh well, the struggles of a blind playthrough...

theDeeDubs

Why doesn't Patches ever appear in my game?

I'm pretty sure he should be locking that door right now but he doesn't appear. He never appears.

Looks like I'm not the only one having repeated trouble with him.

He didn't show up for me until I threw
Siegward's armor
down the well.

...but now I gotta get stupid tongues.
In 1.5 hours I got 10 tongues and 4 Wolf'd Blood Swordgrass at the Farron Keep Perimeter with just 7 luck. Considering that was killing two wraiths to seven ghrus per run, tongues were not too bad of a drop rate compared to the other stuff. I was lucky to get one shackle in two hours of farming the skeletons in carthus.

Grabbed a list of rings and collected all the ones I'd missed that aren't NPC quests/covenants/boss souls.

Now farming the three fat knights on top of G
rand Cathedral
to buy all the armour from the Handmaiden.

Then I'll go grab any spells I've missed.

Then I'll finally kill N
ameless King
that I've been putting off and I'm done.

Until I get internet setup so I can play around with covenants and PVP! I'm at SL90 now, should I level up any more?

Ehhmm... I just found
Greirat's
Ashes in the sewers of Irithyll.. So he's apparently dead. What am I missing out on by not having him there? Any weapons/rings I won't be able to get or questlines I won't be able to complete? Apart from the fact that I liked the character, I won't miss much right?

Oh well, the struggles of a blind playthrough...

Give his ashes to the handmaid in the Firelink Shrine and then she'll sell you everything he would be selling you if he was still alive. He could have gone out once more if you'd kept him alive
, but the the third trip would have resulted in his death and the new items his ashes would have got you are nothing too critical.

Is there any way to stop that
ballista
firing in
Smouldering Lake
?

Instead of entering the boss fog door, go into the cave just before the boss door and one of the paths inside leads you to the ballista where you can stop it from firing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Which item can heal beside estus, miracles and those rare items (like Sigbräu). Was playing 1vs2 now and i almost killed both of them at the same time, then one guy run away, used an item that healed him nearly 100%. I hate that.

He didn't show up for me until I threw
Siegward's armor
down the well.

In 1.5 hours I got 10 tongues and 4 Wolf'd Blood Swordgrass at the Farron Keep Perimeter with just 7 luck. Considering that was killing two wraiths to seven ghrus per run, tongues were not too bad of a drop rate compared to the other stuff. I was lucky to get one shackle in two hours of farming the skeletons in carthus.

But don't I need Patches to get that armour?

Which item can heal beside estus, miracles and those rare items (like Sigbräu). Was playing 1vs2 now and i almost killed both of them at the same time, then one guy run away, used an item that healed him nearly 100%. I hate that.

A bottle of Divine Blessing can do that, some spells and also if he got one of his messages rated in the middle of the fight then too he could regain all of his health.

Robiin

Give his ashes to the handmaid in the Firelink Shrine and then she'll sell you everything he would be selling you if he was still alive. He could have gone out once more if you'd kept him alive
, but the the third trip would have resulted in his death and the new items his ashes would have got you are nothing too critical.
Thanks!

Just witnessed the moment you take that familiar
elevator
and the text
Anor Londo
appears. So good, even though I got it spoiled :) they do beat you over the head with it a little though with the
architecture, archers and the moon
. Still, good stuff!

test_account

XP-39C²
A bottle of Divine Blessing can do that, some spells and also if he got one of his messages rated in the middle of the fight then too he could regain all of his health.
Yeah, i just find it a bit strange to "waste" such an item on a 1vs2 PVP match, concidering that its quite rare. It was an Aldrich Faithful invasion though, which are fairly rare on higher level, so maybe he/she thought it was worth it.

Cool, i didnt know that getting your message rated would give you live. I've gotten some messages rated, but i havnt payed attention to it restoring my life.

Got my platinum trophy this morning, after finishing up the +2 rings in NG++. All in all, a predictably good time throughout, including some jolly co-operation and some fun mound maker invasions.

The blue sentinel/darkmoon covenants are indeed bullshit, having failed to be summoned a single time through my entire time with the game. After I farmed the items I needed I popped Way of the Blue on and got a few people into my game, but it certainly took a while for them to show up. Definitely a broken system that From should look to patch.

Backed up a NG save file (as opposed to NG+), ready to jump in to the DLC when it arrives.

It worked well for me. It just makes sense that mostly low level players would be using Way of the Blue, so consequently it's easier to get the 30 proofs as a low level Sentinel in the Undead Settlement.

Cool, i didnt know that getting your message rated would give you live. I've gotten some messages rated, but i havnt payed attention to it restoring my life.

I realised this in Bloodborne when I was fighting Father Gascoigne. His final stage nearly killed me and I was like, "Well, time for another round of ride the elevator back to the boss door", but then I got a popup saying that I got a message rated and my PC got back up and that's how I beat Father Gascoigne the first time.

I noticed that the same life-bar refill thing happens in DS 3 too while on the High Wall of Lothric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom