• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally beat NK, but I don't feel like I actually won, I only feel like I remembered how to dodge attacks, something that I've been horrible at during my entire playthrough.

Dommel

Such a nice feeling as a pyromancer when you get C
haos
B
ed
V
estiges
. One shotting (blobbing?) enemies that were a huge pain in the ass before left and right.

P
ontiff
boss fight lasted less than a minute, awww yeah.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I just lost 100k souls for being a greedy idiot

Bleeh

I know it hurts... but that's nothing, really. Just by casually farming for covenant items I got to 1 million souls without any real issue. You get to a point where souls lose all value.

Be free from the shackles of the souls. Lose them freely and embrace the relief :)

tariniel

Just beat N
ameless
K
ing
after around 8 or 9 tries. Hardest boss of the game so far, in fact it's the only boss that's taken more than 3 attempts. Very tense and amazing fight overall, I'm very happy with it.

I think my last area to do is
Lothric Castle
now. Pretty sure I'm very close to done. Also wow at the number of Slabs the game gives you, I've already found 3.

Sarcasm

Why can this mob that can do the eat your head do it three times in a row and I can't even roll away. lol what cheeeese.

And the damn 7 mobs together that can't be single pulled =(

co1onel

For some reason I find this game way more fun to replay than the other souls games. I stopped playing dks1 half way through ng+, and I didn't even bother playing dks2 again. I'm already on my 5th playthrough of dks3 and still loving the game. I think it has to do with the boss fights, there's just so many fun ones. It's great once you learn all of the areas and can easily finish the game in one sitting. Gonna do a luck/bleed run this time.

theDeeDubs

About to hop into NG+, although the "offline" grind for covenant items has really bummed me out a bit (I hate pvp). I've been rocking a Thrall Axe on my pyro for the last 1/3 of the game. I love quickstep so much. It's actually a really good weapon; the only negative would be its reach.

I need to vent, fuck whoever designed the darkmoon covenant. Stupid farming method. I gotta respect to 40 luck and try again but now I gotta get stupid tongues.

I think I'll just quit getting the plat, I only need the magic and pyromancy crap.

Sarcasm

So I can't decide what I want..

Go Heavy LS and respec at some point (or now if it doesn't screw over the obtruse NPC questlines) or go refined....

Currently STR is at 30 and DEX is at 14.

LS is +5. No infusion = 231, refined 234 and heavy 244.

LS+ 10 infused with heavy gets A scaling with STR.

LS+10 infused with refined gets B in STR and DEX. If I get the stats equal I should do more then just heavy right? FFFF

I need to vent, fuck whoever designed the darkmoon covenant. Stupid farming method. I gotta respect to 40 luck and try again but now I gotta get stupid tongues.

I think I'll just quit getting the plat, I only need the magic and pyromancy crap.

I'll save you the trouble. Drop rates for Proofs are still dogshit at 40 luck. I was running with 40 luck + mimic head + Crystal Sage rapier + Gold Serpent ring +1 + rusted coin for 415 discovery, and still had a rough fucking time even getting one to drop. It's totally fucked.

Personally I would have every covenant item drop like candy at 400+ item discovery.

I'll save you the trouble. Drop rates for Proofs are still dogshit at 40 luck. I was running with 40 luck + mimic head + Crystal Sage rapier + Gold Serpent ring +1 + rusted coin for 415 discovery, and still had a rough fucking time even getting one to drop. It's totally fucked.

Personally I would have every covenant item drop like candy at 400+ item discovery.
Did you get the covenant or did ya give up? I'm kinda going for the latter this is just ridiculous.

Did you get the covenant or did ya give up? I'm kinda going for the latter this is just ridiculous.

Gave up at like 9 proofs (four of which were looted from the environment in NG and NG+) after hours of farming and waiting for summons. My character is level 125 which I figured would be fine for later areas like Irithyll, but I guess not. I think the Blue Sents/Darkmoon covenants need major overhauls:

-Use the same level scaling employed in password matching to allow players of any level to match (ex. a level 100 blue phantom would be appropriately scaled down when matched with a level 50 host). Allow phantoms to scale both up and down so that any two players of any levels can participate in concord summoning/defending.

-Also scale weapon levels to match the host if the blue phantom's is too low/high, thus eliminating that requirement.

-Allow blue phantoms to be summoned via concord if there is an Aldrich Faithful invader, even if the host doesn't have Way of Blue equipped. This would at least leave the second half of Irithyll as reliable summon grounds for blues.

-Allow all covenants to earn their respective covenant items from consensual (Red Sign) PvP.

-Drastically increase the drop rate of Proofs (and other covenant items) once a player's item discovery hits 400. It takes quite a bit of commitment to do that, so just reward it. No sense in holding covenant items hostage like that.

My thoughts.

Gave up at like 9 proofs (four of which were looted from the environment in NG and NG+) after hours of farming and waiting for summons. My character is level 125 which I figured would be fine for later areas like Irithyll, but I guess not. I think the Blue Sents/Darkmoon covenants need major overhauls:

-Use the same level scaling employed in password matching to allow players of any level to match (ex. a level 100 blue phantom would be appropriately scaled down when matched with a level 50 host). Allow phantoms to scale both up and down so that any two players of any levels can participate in concord summoning/defending.

-Also scale weapon levels to match the host if the blue phantom's is too low/high, thus eliminating that requirement.

-Allow blue phantoms to be summoned via concord if there is an Aldrich Faithful invader, even if the host doesn't have Way of Blue equipped. This would at least leave the second half of Irithyll as reliable summon grounds for blues.

-Allow all covenants to earn their respective covenant items from consensual (Red Sign) PvP.

-Drastically increase the drop rate of Proofs (and other covenant items) once a player's item discovery hits 400. It takes quite a bit of commitment to do that, so just reward it. No sense in holding covenant items hostage like that.

My thoughts.
Yep I agree with all this. Eh I think I'm done grinding. I'm gonna play ratchet and good thing uncharted comes out. If they ever patch it then I'll go back to it but I'm done, already got all 3 endings.

Fletcher

Having been a vocal hater of past Souls/Bloodborne games...maybe fifth time is the charm?

I have purchased all the previous four games of this style with the hope they would work for me, but they never did.

Something about this game is finally clicking with me. It still has an atrocious camera and is at times kind of boring, but i dunno. It feels like my progression is a bit quicker? This art style and these levels are constantly having me say "oh rad". The combat is finally justclicking with me. I'm taking my time, stopping when i get pissed, and just actually enjoying playing through this game.

About to start up Bloodborne again to see if my love fest sticks with this one.

Having been a vocal hater of past Souls/Bloodborne games...maybe fifth time is the charm?

I have purchased all the previous four games of this style with the hope they would work for me, but they never did.

Something about this game is finally clicking with me. It still has an atrocious camera and is at times kind of boring, but i dunno. It feels like my progression is a bit quicker? This art style and these levels are constantly having me say "oh rad". The combat is finally justclicking with me. I'm taking my time, stopping when i get pissed, and just actually enjoying playing through this game.

About to start up Bloodborne again to see if my love fest sticks with this one.

Tips for the camera:

1. Disable auto-wall recovery in options. This will stop the camera from moving by itself when it comes into contact with objects.

2. Try to avoid locking on to larger enemies. Chances are the camera angle will either be too high or too low, and prevent you from seeing the complete picture. Lock on should be treated like any other tool in the game - it has its uses, but isn't appropriate for every situation.

hope that helps

Yep I agree with all this. Eh I think I'm done grinding. I'm gonna play ratchet and good thing uncharted comes out. If they ever patch it then I'll go back to it but I'm done, already got all 3 endings.

I'm also hoping for some refinements via patch. With the first of two DLCs coming out in Fall, the game should remain in active development for a good while longer. Hopefully they keep an eye on what people are saying and patch accordingly.

anybody ever feel like invaders are the good guys and hosts with helpers are evil cowards?

It can, but invaders can also use enemies to their advantage.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a summon cooldown for hosts. Like, if I kill a white/gold phantom, it would be nice if the host couldn't just book it back to the bonfire and immediately summon another. But whatever, it is what it is. One invasion in the Catacombs had me killing the host's phantom BFF like three or four times. Could never take down the host, and he would always immediately summon the same phantom after they died.

Momentary

Banned
It can, but invaders can also use enemies to their advantage.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a summon cooldown for hosts. Like, if I kill a white/gold phantom, it would be nice if the host couldn't just book it back to the bonfire and immediately summon another. But whatever, it is what it is. One invasion in the Catacombs had me killing the host's phantom BFF like three or four times. Could never take down the host, and he would always immediately summon the same phantom after they died.

I never use enemies, but I understand the reasoning.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Helping people with nameless king. Up to 16 medals so far. 14 to go

Why do some host watch the cutscene!!!!

2AdEPT

You're either not including DLC bosses for DS2 or you are a much better Soulsman than I.

I also had an embarrassingly hard time with Smelter.

Fume was tough but after a couple tries I learned his attacks and it was cake. (the sir alonne footage is on the same video see the hot links in the description) Also, I grant that although some people think the vanquisher seal run I did showed skill as i had to use fists only, IMO that set up was pretty OP with the best DPS in the game by far. Still those bosses were predictable and I could have done it with a SL 1 no upgrades character....it jsut would take forever, as Lobos Jr. proved beating fume with the shield only or the ladel or something like that. Alonne was fast, but predictable and I almost did a no health loss run on him, (did end up doing a no estus). I am the same guy and let me tell you that IMO ds3 has harder bosses on average...maybe if I repeat the fights over and over a bit more I will change my mind, but so far I am finding that FROM tried their best to make the bosses harder, whether this ended up being cheap like in the tree boss, and the aldrich fights, or whether it was really good AI like Sulyvahn that although tough at first is still learnable, that's subjective and up to others to decide.

Converse to Fume 'n alonne, I can see myself not being able to beat the pontiff with a low level character every time at all...and people are complaining more about later bosses I havent even seen yet! As red licorice said in an astute post, they definitely tried to up the ante with the difficulty and they did...sometimes in cheap ways IMO, as RL pointed out, sometimes in good ways. The Pontiff fight was a good one for the most part...tough to do a no health loss for that one, but if you keep your distance and wait for the right time to go in during the spirit phase, or finish him off before the spirit clone spawns, it is definitely doable without cheesy hardness like with Aldrich (I hated that boss with a passion and jsut ended up hiring help to get it done faster...I could have done it solo, but didnt care to given it was going to be an RNG luck run that got me through based on whether he spammed that raining of arrows or not...I learned how to dodge them eventually, but man what a tedious fitght and what I felt was cheap difficulty.

What is AR? I keep seeing it for this game? Does it support Augmented Reality devices and the number after is the depth level or something?

just made it to
anor londo and even though they dropped a ton of hints before I saw it, I still screamed

It's the best reveal/ surprise of the game bar none. I was stunned that I did not discover it myself before - only when I went up the elevator it hit me like a truck.

What is AR? I keep seeing it for this game? Does it support Augmented Reality devices and the number after is the depth level or something?

It's the damage value number next to the R Weapon, L Weapon etc. I think it it the sum of all types of damage + scaling bonuses.

The higher it is the better. 600 is quite high-end, 800 is godly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm super late responding to this, but Faith scales all the way up 60 points really well. Its also important to do spears at melee range get the second attack to proc. At range a spear does like 900 damage.
I see. Meh. Lightning spear should be a faith's ranged option, not a point-blank nuke. :\

Attack Rating

theaface

Got my platinum trophy this morning, after finishing up the +2 rings in NG++. All in all, a predictably good time throughout, including some jolly co-operation and some fun mound maker invasions.

The blue sentinel/darkmoon covenants are indeed bullshit, having failed to be summoned a single time through my entire time with the game. After I farmed the items I needed I popped Way of the Blue on and got a few people into my game, but it certainly took a while for them to show up. Definitely a broken system that From should look to patch.

Backed up a NG save file (as opposed to NG+), ready to jump in to the DLC when it arrives.

Nutter

I accidentally attacked the (ending spoiler question)
fire keeper, and I did not get the achievement :(

Did I screw myself out of the achievement until a new run through the game?

Anyone keeping up with ENB's playthrough?
I have never been annoyed by a lets play before but honestly don't bother watching episode 27 and 28. He spends about 45 minutes fighting Pontiff, getting him down to one hit from dying and then stops and says 'no I don't understand the battle yet' and just lets himself be killed.

Man I curse the motherfucker that made these covenants, after grinding from 9 to 1 I barely have 19 stupid concords. I just stopped because I hadn't received one in an hour. Fuck this bs for today.

Anyone keeping up with ENB's playthrough?
I have never been annoyed by a lets play before but honestly don't bother watching episode 27 and 28. He spends about 45 minutes fighting Pontiff, getting him down to one hit from dying and then stops and says 'no I don't understand the battle yet' and just lets himself be killed.

I haven't watched the series, but that doesn't seem like the craziest thing to do. I probably wouldn't just let a boss kill me, but I also don't do SL 1 runs either.

Soodanim

Last night I decided to look up how to encounter P
atches
as on NG+ I still hadn't seen him. I even went to the
well
and nothing triggered, I just don't get it. I eventually reloaded and got that, then after getting nothing in the CotD I went back to FS and that event triggered.

By the 5th game you'd think they would find a way to have the spawns not be locked away behind a reload.

Hit a bit of an impasse. Can't get past the roof section on the cathedral of the deep. Those little guys mobbing you and twin schimatar ladies are just destroying me.
One at a time, go slowly until you learn where the little dudes are hiding. If they're above you can usually see them hanging off walls. The dual scimitar enemies are a pain, but advice depends on your play style. It's not that far from the first dual wielder to the next bonfire.

Why doesn't Patches ever appear in my game?

I'm pretty sure he should be locking that door right now but he doesn't appear. He never appears.
Looks like I'm not the only one having repeated trouble with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom