• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havel Knight is kicking my ass. Can his attacks be parried?

Maybe I shouldn't have reallocated my stats.

I was going to answer this post but I forgot, but yes, he can be parried just like in the first game. AFAIK only Ultra Great Swords and other weapons of similar "size" can't be parried.

What is a good OP weapon to use? I liked Ludwigs Great Sword in Bloodbourne. I don't want to test out tons of weapons to find my favorite. I just want to focus on leveling up one or two really good ones. Thanks!
Do you want a weapon that's OP or a weapon that is like LHB, because if you just want an OP weapon you can get one of the Straight Swords (Astora's Straight Sword, Anri's Sword w/ 40 Luck, or Dark Sword) and that should carry you through the game.

Tarkus

I was going to answer this post but I forgot, but yes, he can be parried just like in the first game. AFAIK only Ultra Great Swords and other weapons of similar "size" can't be parried.

Do you want a weapon that's OP or a weapon that is like LHB, because if you just want an OP weapon you can get one of the Straight Swords (Astora's Straight Sword, Anri's Sword w/ 40 Luck, or Dark Sword) and that should carry you through the game.
You can parry UGS one handed for sure. The jury is still out on other large weapons.

Oh my god, ENB's playthrough is suffering. The reason his playthroughs have always been excellent is because they're condensed, edited and occur after he fully explores the game so they're very tight, dense and insanely interesting as well as fun to watch someone with skill tackle the game while talking about it. When he had Aldrich down to one hit left and purposefully killed himself I had to pause and get a drink. Like, watching someone explore the minutiae of the game unedited does not make for an engaging or non-frustrating experience. Which is really bothersome because I love ENB and his videos but I really don't believe his first-time playthroughs make for good watches. Consistently losing to a boss ON PURPOSE for 30 minutes because you try to figure out the exact way one of his attacks paths is absolutely mind-numbing to watch.

Deku Tree

Where do I get those? Thanks!

Oh my god, ENB's playthrough is suffering. The reason his playthroughs have always been excellent is because they're condensed, edited and occur after he fully explores the game so they're very tight, dense and insanely interesting as well as fun to watch someone with skill tackle the game while talking about it. When he had Aldrich down to one hit left and purposefully killed himself I had to pause and get a drink. Like, watching someone explore the minutiae of the game unedited does not make for an engaging or non-frustrating experience. Which is really bothersome because I love ENB and his videos but I really don't believe his first-time playthroughs make for good watches. Consistently losing to a boss ON PURPOSE for 30 minutes because you try to figure out the exact way one of his attacks paths is absolutely mind-numbing to watch.

I constantly yell at his playthroughs. "STOP TRYING TO PARRY JUST KILL IT."

Tarkus

I constantly yell at his playthroughs. "STOP TRYING TO PARRY JUST KILL IT."
It's like he's playing as if he were writing the strategy guide and figuring out every movement. This is exactly what burned him out on Bloodborne and DS2 and why he never LP'd the DLCs of those.

So glad every page has a hot take about ENB's playthrough. Everyone's wisdom about how he needs to get good is really eye-opening.

So I'm playing with a Pyro build. I have low endurance so blocking many hits is impossible. I'm trying to get better with parrying, especially for pvp, and it's so frustrating. I guess I need a lot of practice for that. Messing around with weapons, I only have 12 str and dex so my choices are very limited. Have an Chaos Estoc and a Dark Barbed Sword which have ok damage. Currently level 64 with 24 Vig, 30 Attunment, 10 Endurance, 8 Vit, amd 25 int and faith. I guess I need to level up more to see some real damage. Also, pyro spells seem very limited. To me it looks like Chaos Orb is the best spell for damage, the others are pretty useless except for maybe Sacred Flame. I also tried using Rapport and that didn't seem to work at all... Any tips for a pyro? It sure is nice for enemies weak against fire, and those damn curse spiders go down with ease.

Rapport is fantastic, but you have to learn which enemies are immune. There are a lot of pyromancies with good situational utility (e.g. Carthus Beacon for weapons like the Estoc and Barbed Sword), but the Chaos and Black Orb spells are the most useful overall.

Regarding damage output, reinforcing weapons is probably the most important factor regardless of build. However, clutch rings make a big difference for weapons infused with corresponding damage types.

Bluenoser

If anyone was wondering about poise, this video does a pretty damn good job of showing that it's a phantom stat. Completely and utterly worthless. There is no poise in this game for the player (of course enemies have it).

I only bring it up because I've seen people argue in youtube comments, and on other forums that there is poise, and if you think there isn't you just don't understand how it works.

Well, when an enemy in the tutorial area can stagger you with one hit while you are wearing full Havel's. Yhorm Great shield, and the wolf ring, there is obviously no poise. Fromsoft gotta fix this shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h21kjagkSNw

It's like he's playing as if he were writing the strategy guide and figuring out every movement. This is exactly what burned him out on Bloodborne and DS2 and why he never LP'd the DLCs of those.

Which, I mean, that's been his job on a few games. I totally respect that. But not when you're trying to entertain. Or if it is a Guide Playthrough, label it as that. Otherwise, it's dead air as he stares at dreglings and mashes parry.

So glad every page has a hot take about ENB's playthrough. Everyone's wisdom about how he needs to get good is really eye-opening

Come off it.

He runs a daily updated playthrough and is one of the pillars of the Souls community that everyone looks to for amazing content and a charismatic and details oriented take on the game. It's no wonder that people who love watching his videos are commenting on a daily series that they are not finding as entertaining. And no one has ever said he needs to fucking get good so stop being disingenuous with your passive-aggressive derision. People just don't like the style he has chosen to adopt for this particular playthrough and are talking about it, often saying specifically why while also being sure to temper their judgement by saying they like ENB and his stuff. But 30 minutes of losing ON PURPOSE to a boss he could beat at any time isn't frustrating because he "gots ta git gud lol memes" but because he is wasting a lot of time on content that a lot of people aren't finding entertaining to watch and I don't think it's out of line or asinine to point that out when it happens.

ENB's a great dude and a better Souls player than me and has amazing fascinating lore videos to watch but this playthrough is misfiring a lot because it's just not fun to watch sometimes.

Cyrano

Where do I get those? Thanks!
Astora Straight (in same room with Estus Shard at High Wall of Lothric)
Dark Sword (from any Dark Wraith, need to farm them)
Anri's Straight Sword (kill Anri or do Anri's Questline and reload the area at the end of the quest)

mulac

Loving the game so far, much better than 2.

Embers are great too. Now I don't have to focus too many points onto my health.

Weirdly I didnt realize the "power" of Embers and how useful they can be. Went through entire 1st run not really using them...but yes its nice for the health boost!

MilkBeard

Eh, I enjoyed it. You know that at that point, he's just trying to analyze the boss. I don't see the problem; just skip ahead. I like watching him analyze a boss. He's not gonna play like other LPers, and you can't expect his first completely blind, offline playthrough to be like the ones when he knows every aspect of the game.

He's gonna play like how he wants to play. It's his playthrough. I watch it and have consistently been entertained by his lore insights, and the way he manages to piece together bosses especially. He's definitely quicker at figuring things out than I am. I like watching to see his style. I don't really find enjoyment from watching a 'complete numskull' play through the game, which is a big point of interest for a lot of people watching playthroughs. Kay's playthroughs are also a bit too slow for my taste. Otherwise, I would be watching hers.

tldr; I don't know what people are expecting. Watch it if it interests you; don't if it doesn't. It's his playthrough.

Bluenoser

Come off it.

He runs a daily updated playthrough and is one of the pillars of the Souls community that everyone looks to for amazing content and a charismatic and details oriented take on the game. It's no wonder that people who love watching his videos are commenting on a daily series that they are not finding as entertaining. And no one has ever said he needs to fucking get good so stop being disingenuous with your passive-aggressive derision. People just don't like the style he has chosen to adopt for this particular playthrough and are talking about it, often saying specifically why while also being sure to temper their judgement by saying they like ENB and his stuff. But 30 minutes of losing ON PURPOSE to a boss he could beat at any time isn't frustrating because he "gots ta git gud lol memes" but because he is wasting a lot of time on content that a lot of people aren't finding entertaining to watch and I don't think it's out of line or asinine to point that out when it happens.

ENB's a great dude and a better Souls player than me and has amazing fascinating lore videos to watch but this playthrough is misfiring a lot because it's just not fun to watch sometimes.

On the one hand, I'm ok with this. I got to play my first playthrough of DKS3 the way I wanted. Why can't he?

On the other hand, 2nd, 3rd, 4th playthroughs are usually where you would dissect a bosses patterns and learn it. Not sure why he has to be an expert on it his first time through.

I'm enjoying his series a thousand times more than A German Spy's one. All Spy is doing is bitching about every fucking thing. It's tiring and I had to stop watching completely. At least ENB is keeping an open mind, and seems to be positive about the experience.

LiK

Ugh, ENB and his "I need to die even tho I almost killed this boss so I can understand the patterns" BS returns. Skipped through that fight this time. Hating this pattern with his LP. Glad he didn't just keep doing that cuz it's RNG and he can play that fight forever and he'll never get the pattern down.

MilkBeard

Ugh, ENB and his "I need to die even tho I almost killed this boss so I can understand the patterns" BS returns. Skipped through that fight this time. Hating this pattern with his LP. Glad he didn't just keep doing that cuz it's RNG and he can play that fight forever and he'll never get the pattern down.
He did expose some strange element to the arrow attack, though. Sometimes it loses trail and goes back toward the boss. Not sure what causes that. Must be a glitch or something, and it never happened in my playthrough.

LiK

He did expose some strange element to the arrow attack, though. Sometimes it loses trail and goes back toward the boss. Not sure what causes that. Must be a glitch or something, and it never happened in my playthrough.

Yea, I'm guessing it might be just a glitch with all the random attacks that go on. Never liked that boss. It's basically rushing in for some hits and run away when the arrows show up.

I like ENB's style. Gives me an idea on how he approaches boss battles. But after doing similar style for ds2 and bloodborne, might have been "instinct" for ENB to play this way.

D
ragonslayer Armor
is such a fun fight. Homie Sirris and I gonna fuck you up son

Once I get good.

Generally don't do NPC summons but don't mind it here, plus it's fun to get something out of the NPC quest I suppose

MilkBeard

Yea, I'm guessing it might be just a glitch with all the random attacks that go on. Never liked that boss. It's basically rushing in for some hits and run away when the arrows show up.

The boss was the one that gave me the most trouble in the game. He's fairly low HP and if you rush him at every encounter he goes down. But if you can't do that for whatever reason, it becomes like a bullet hell shooter in third person RPG form. Knowing what I know now, I could take the boss down fairly quickly, but at the time I played it, it was the most frustrating boss.

If it's the arrow attack I'm thinking
from Aldrich, I remember figuring out that the arrows have no hitboxes after they hit the ground and you can just roll through it head on and then make a mad dash towards the boss. The arrows can still catch up if you're not careful but I thought it was a good way to "waste" most of the attack duration.

LiK

I like ENB's style. Gives me an idea on how he approaches boss battles. But after doing similar style for ds2 and bloodborne, might have been "instinct" for ENB to play this way.

Don't get me wrong, I love his LPs and everything he does but he never intentionally killed himself to learn a boss pattern before if the boss is almost dead. If he did, link me to one of his previous game LPs. It's like he's making a guide for his blind LP when that's not even necessary.

From now on, I'll just skip the rest of the boss fights if he does the same thing again. The sweet smell of boss victories has turned into really boring boss pattern analysis. It just ends with a "well, I guess I figured that boss out. I guess."

MilkBeard

If it's the arrow attack I'm thinking
from Aldrich, I remember figuring out that the arrows have no hitboxes after they hit the ground and you can just roll through it head on and then make a mad dash towards the boss. The arrows can still catch up if you're not careful but I thought it was a good way to "waste" most of the attack duration.

Wasn't talk about that, particularly. There were times when, while he was running away, the arrow attack would stop following him completely, and then it would make a direct line back toward the boss, regardless of what the player was doing. I saw it happen a couple of times in his playthrough. It's like if the arrows lose his trail, they change mode and make a straight line backwards.

Zocano

ENBs approach to that boss in today's video was the absolute toughest way to handle it. Just like Crystal Sage.

If you take it slow and stay back the boss will fucking have a field day. Its movesets are a joke if you're just up in its face 24/7 and its super easy to stay on it the whole fight. It's a big snoozefest of a boss fight when you're actually aggressive.

Bluenoser

Wasn't talk about that, particularly. There were times when, while he was running away, the arrow attack would lose his tail completely, and then it would make a direct line back toward the boss, regardless of what the player was doing. I saw it happen a couple of times in his playthrough. It's like if the arrows lose his trail, they change mode and make a straight line backwards.

He really didn't figure out that boss pattern though. He neglected to be aggressive, and stop it from doing the arrow attack at all. I mean, there's always a chance it will do it as you rush him, but most times he won't if you are quick. He stayed back, and he spammed the arrows, which is not the right way to fight that boss, because arrows are the worst attack you can get. It's not RNG like he thought, it's positioning.

ENBs approach to that boss in today's video was the absolute toughest way to handle it. Just like Crystal Sage.

If you take it slow and stay back the boss will fucking have a field day. Its movesets are a joke if you're just up in its face 24/7 and its super easy to stay on it the whole fight. It's a big snoozefest of a boss fight when you're actually aggressive.

Edit beaten- that's exactly what I was thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I love his LPs and everything he does but he never intentionally killed himself to learn a boss pattern before if the boss is almost dead. If he did, link me to one of his previous game LPs. It's like he's making a guide for his blind LP when that's not even necessary.

From now on, I'll just skip the rest of the boss fights if he does the same thing again. The sweet smell of boss victories has turned into really boring boss pattern analysis. It just ends with a "well, I guess I figured that boss out. I guess."
Yeah he never did it before. So I def understand where you and other people are coming from. I thought the same as you, he is making a guide during his blind play.

MilkBeard

He really didn't figure out that boss pattern though. He neglected to be aggressive, and stop it from doing the arrow attack at all. I mean, there's always a chance it will do it as you rush him, but most times he won't if you are quick. He stayed back, and he spammed the arrows, which is not the right way to fight that boss, because arrows are the worst attack you can get. It's not RNG like he thought, it's positioning.

Edit beaten- that's exactly what I was thinking.

I didn't say he figured it out, just 'exposed' it. Meaning, shed light on the peculiarity of the design.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with your understanding of the boss, because there are times when I was right next to it and it would still spam the arrow attack. The method is simply to stagger him before he uses it. There is a greater chance he will use melee if you are close, but the arrow attack still has an RNG element to it.

Styles

Al
drich
was the only boss that I had to switch to full melee on my Sorc playthrough, because it was impossible for me to cast my spells even at close range. There's also the fact that he is extremely resistant to magic, which made the fight even more difficult.

Bluenoser

I didn't say he figured it out, just 'exposed' it. Meaning, shed light on the peculiarity of the design.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with your understanding of the boss, because there are times when I was right next to it and it would still spam the arrow attack. The method is simply to stagger him before he uses it. There is a greater chance he will use melee if you are close, but the arrow attack still has an RNG element to it.

Hmm, maybe I always stagger him out of it then. This would be a rough fight for a caster. he doesn't take full damage from magic and you need to keep a distance for safe casting, so you will be running from arrows a lot.

LiK

Al
drich
was the only boss that I had to switch to full melee on my Sorc playthrough, because it was impossible for me to cast my spells even at close range. There's also the fact that he is extremely resistant to magic, which made the fight even more difficult.

yea, i read about this from other Gaffers who use a Magic build. Similar to NK where melee users had trouble but Magic users can destroy him.

Come off it.

Then don't watch it and wait for his equivalent of From the Dark for DS3.

Pejo

anyone SL130 +/- wanna trade mound maker summons to get shackles? i've farmed as many PVP items as I'm willing, and I just can't do it anymore. I'd love to just trade kills to just get this over with. Please PM me.

Wasted souls buying new armor to match the Dancer crown, wasn't feeling any though. I kind of love that I started with Sellsword armor and have yet to find anything I like more.

Speaking of starting as a merc... seriously no other twin swords yet? I'm fine with my uchi but seems like a waste

Nameless King is extremely cheap. First, camera issues are aplenty. Second, the fog ground makes it very hard to gauge the distance between the enemy and yourself. If it weren't for these two shitty things, the boss fight would not be as frustrating.

Vena

Man. The newly buffed Black Knight Sword is potent. Fast and now hits hard.

Only complaint is that Perseverance isn't what I prefer in terms of unbreakable poise options.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Al
drich
Use pyros, it's what I did.

Booom shaka laka laka laka.

Someone *actually* traded ALL rings for this game including the plus plus versions with just my one set of Sunset armors + shield.

And once he backed up the save, he also gave me back my Sunset armors.

Unbelievable good luck for me. Master of Rings trophy achieved with almost no effort at all. Hah! It really paid off to become a member of various Dark Souls 3 communities in PS4.

Nameless King is extremely cheap. First, camera issues are aplenty. Second, the fog ground makes it very hard to gauge the distance between the enemy and yourself. If it weren't for these two shitty things, the boss fight would not be as frustrating.

Makes you gaga over stuff like this, isn't it.

I can't conceive of any possible universe in which I could beat the Dancer of the Boreal Valley. I've been killed by it probably a dozen times, and two of those times I even summoned a helper and still lost.

I can't conceive of any possible universe in which I could beat the Dancer of the Boreal Valley. I've been killed by it probably a dozen times, and two of those times I even summoned a helper and still lost.
(Depends on your build, of course) I've found Dancer pretty easy. Lock on and circle/evade just outside of her sword range, and learn to count how many swings are in her combos. Count 'em while you're keeping her at range. I would let her finish her combos, casually walk into range, land a few hits, and then go back to evading/circling just outsider of her sword range.

Most of her combos have predictable and generous recovery windows.

Great shields are a great help personally for me. She can be exceptionally brutal though at times.

OSHAN

Trying strafing left the entire fight. Just in a circle around her. Dodge left into her grab. Run far away when she does that wind-up move with like 7 spins.

Anyway, I just beat the Nameless King. It took about two goddamn hours and I was feeling pretty good. I enter this thread and now I'm watching a video of some asshole killing him at soul level one. I don't know what to say now.

Dereck

Why are there fog doors in the Firelink Shrine I'm trying to get an item and the doors fogging up over and over again is getting annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom