• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuhira

Is it on purpose that you can't have both magic weapon and magic shield active at the same time?
Three games and i still can't do this,do i need a third arm to have both? what the hell..maybe it's too op,i dunno.
At least don't cancel the spell when i switch weapons.

No wonder NK is hard.

You cant even see what the fuck is going on!

They prioritized cool animations over actual playability.

Yeah, NK was the worst boss in the game for me by far. The actual fight is fun, but the beginning bit just kills my motivation for it. It's worse than having to replay the Rocket minigame on Bayonetta whenever you want to refight the last
Jeanne
fight.

Tarkus

Is it on purpose that you can't have both magic weapon and magic shield active at the same time?
Three games and i still can't do this,do i need a third arm to have both? what the hell..maybe it's too op,i dunno.
I think you could do this in DS2 with 2 Blue Flames.

Get a sword that casts magic, put a catalyst in your left arm. Buff sword, switch catalyst to shield, buff shield.

So I beat my first playthrough with a STR build, and now I'm doing a caster. Right now though the only two offensive spells I use with any sort of frequency are Fireball and Heavy Soul Arrow.

What are the better offensive spells I should keep my eyes peeled for? And what about a good weapon? Should I just find a moveset I like and keep Magic Weapon up on it?

No wonder NK is hard.

You cant even see what the fuck is going on!

They prioritized cool animations over actual playability.

Don't lock on. Stay away and follow him with your camera until he does something that leaves him vulnerable, then attack. Rinse and repeat.

It's an unorthodox fight in that an advantageous way to play it is to hang back and observe until you get an opening, rather than staying on him and blocking/rolling until there's an opening,

Don't lock on. Stay away and follow him with your camera until he does something that leaves him vulnerable, then attack. Rinse and repeat.

It's an unorthodox fight in that an advantageous way to play it is to hang back and observe until you get an opening, rather than staying on him and blocking/rolling until there's an opening,

To be fair, I do agree with them to an extend. Camera zooms out during a battle, and complete lack of anything to orient yourself is annoying. With my first char, most of my difficulty came from the fact that I would swing at the Dragon's head, and whiff, because I was too far, but it was impossible to tell, due to everything being not the same way it always is and thus scale being all out of whack.

HeelPower

Just beat him.

Yeah you have to figure out how to space him and use the camera.Once you do its not that bad.

Reminds me of Amygdala from BB.Tough locking on can be used to situate yourself until he does moves that really open him up.

Yeah, NK was the worst boss in the game for me by far. The actual fight is fun, but the beginning bit just kills my motivation for it. It's worse than having to replay the Rocket minigame on Bayonetta whenever you want to refight the last
Jeanne
fight.

Yeah.

Its honestly more about handling the camera than anything else in the first form.He doesnt have that many moves.

Ummm He's actually pretty ok?! Didnt give me as much grief as I expected,outside of figuring out the camera.

neoism

sooo guys if you didnt get a ring in ng is it in the same spot in ng+ along with the + version in ng+

its the ring in the lake you have to use the big bow to knock out a wall

Is there a level I should stick to if I want to be able to summon for help in ng+ and ng++? I want to get all the rings but don't fancy having to fight all the bosses solo again.

Ohnonono

I started NG+ and immediately got invaded by Negrodaumus. With such a trollish name and going around invading folks you would think he would not stand there and get nuked by my Lightning Swordspear. Felt good tho.

Ferr986

Is there a level I should stick to if I want to be able to summon for help in ng+ and ng++? I want to get all the rings but don't fancy having to fight all the bosses solo again.

100-120. Meta seems to be 120. NG+ was a cakewalk at 100 so I don't think you're gonna have much problems. The HP bump for bosses is not as high as other games.

bosseye

Wife bought me this the other day - its hard! Problem is its been years since I played Dark Souls and I'm trying to play it like Bloodborne I think and it doesn't work so well. I'm having to play a lot slower than I want to and pay far more attention to my stamina than I'm used to. I miss my speedy sidestep move though!

I'm really enjoying it though - but its going to take me a while. It took me about 10 tries to kill the first boss (the big
dude who pops up literally 2 minutes after you start
) and after 5 hours I've only just started to make inroads into the
Undead Settlement

Love the art style and atmosphere and I'd forgotten how compelling my slow careful progress can be (and how frustrating). I tend to pick away in different directions, gradually making my way through the game.

Question though, I don't seem to be finding any decent weapons - I'm using the Broadsword which I found fairly early on. I have plenty of Titanite shards to reinforce it, but I'm assuming these would be better spent on a weapon that might have better base stats? I'm going for a simple damage type build, I just like to wade in, hack away so endurance, strength, vigour and dexterity perhaps.

Wife bought me this the other day - its hard! Problem is its been years since I played Dark Souls and I'm trying to play it like Bloodborne I think and it doesn't work so well. I'm having to play a lot slower than I want to and pay far more attention to my stamina than I'm used to. I miss my speedy sidestep move though!

I'm really enjoying it though - but its going to take me a while. It took me about 10 tries to kill the first boss (the big
Undead Settlement

Love the art style and atmosphere and I'd forgotten how compelling my slow careful progress can be (and how frustrating). I tend to pick away in different directions, gradually making my way through the game.

Question though, I don't seem to be finding any decent weapons - I'm using the Broadsword which I found fairly early on. I have plenty of Titanite shards to reinforce it, but I'm assuming these would be better spent on a weapon that might have better base stats? I'm going for a simple damage type build, I just like to wade in, hack away so endurance, strength, vigour and dexterity perhaps.

This is actually a fairly common thing in Dark Souls... initial weapons you get are viable throughout the most of the game if not all of it. I just finished a playthrough with just intiial dual scimitars. They were doing beast damage all the way to the end of the game.

Unai

Undead Settlement

Just upgrade any weapon you like. Later in the game you can buy upgrade materials.

If you like the Broadsword, then you'll like most other straight swords. The best straight swords are
Anri and Sunlight
straight swords and you'll get them mid-late game.

You can also change up to Katanas or curved swords pretty soon. I personally, LOVE the Carthus curved sword, coz it's fast as fuck and the bleed on it with Hollow transfusion is amazing and only Onikiri/Ubadachi are better for a Bleed build. You'll get the curved sword in
Catacombs
and Oni/Uba you'll get around end-game.

When you farm 14 ears in little over two hours and say "hey, this is not as bad as I thought"

and then you don't get another until an hour and a half later.

How are you farming them? I got all 30 (well 26 since I had 4 from pickups) in under 3 hours on ng+. I maxed luck, used all the gear that gave more item drops, an only killed the first 2 silver knights in
Anor Londo
. Third one gave me trouble since it was further away and i had such low health from switching to luck. Used a coin every time I was running back to the fire. Also I did every dumb trick that I read made people feel like they had a better drop rate, from taking off any covenant item and logging out and back in after every drop. I thought it was dumb but I went a period of 20 minutes without a drop before trying logging and and off and then never 10 minutes after.

lunlunqq

I am FREE!!!

MQlP8ru.jpg

bosseye

Thanks for the responses all.

I'm only using the Broadsword as it seems to suit my playstyle better. If its a viable weapong throughout the game, maybe I'll start to upgrade it.

Although I do have Lucerne as a switch out, I like the spinning attack as it gives me better range.

Mind you, looks like I missed finding the Astora Straight sword in High Wall of Lothric, so I might go back and nab that see if thats more my thing.

Options options.

Gbraga

I'm on my way to the
Profaned Capital. Stopped at the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire. Very cool fighting Alva there, I hope I can get his set.

That room with the paintings and the Silver Knights? That was fantastic. Gave me chills to find the items we did there.

Pretty much confirmed that Gwynevere is the Queen of Lothric, then. I wonder if she was married to Oceiros, or if he was one of her children (given the name similarity with Ocelotte, her youngest).

Couldn't find a reason for Nashandra having her face there, but even if they don't touch on the subject again, it already makes her background a lot richer, being from the Boreal Valley, and sharing a wall with the old gods.

~80 hours, having such a great time with this game, it's already my longest first playthrough of a Souls game.

Still can't wait to meet Aldrich. It's the moment I look forward to the most.

Currently using a Halberd, Black Bow of Pharis and Pyromancy Flame (with the Chaos Fireball), all at +6, first items I went past +4. Using Worker Garb and Trousers, with Old Sage's Blindfold and Fire Keeper Gloves.

Since I was already spoiled on
visiting Anor Londo (people should really spoiler tag this, I wasn't spoiled here, so I'm not even mad, but this is kind of major)
, I'm already thinking about which Fashion Souls and weapon I'll be using there. I might go with that Executioner Greatsword on my back just for that Hentailover tech.

The NPC quests are out of this world, they really outdid themselves here.

And to my surprise, I found
High Lord Wolnir
to be quite an interesting boss. Not actually good, but "one of the best shitty bosses they've made", if you can call that a compliment. The character is fascinating, can't wait to
find another Master Pyromancer to read the dark pyromancies related to him. Hopefully they'll talk more about this dude. Him terrified of the Abyss once you break his protection, and being dragged by it was a really cool moment, as well as just his fucking face appearing from the darkness, that shit was scary. Too bad the fight itself wasn't as scary, it was more "hmm, let's figure out this gimmick" than "HOLY SHIT HOW DO I BEAT THIS THING IT'S HUGE".

FaintDeftone

So I'm finally nearing the end of this game for my first playthrough. I just beat
Yhorm
and I'm currently in
Anor Londo
heading towards
Aldrich
. After that I make my way to
Lothric Castle
(which I already have access to) and I'm finally done. I doubt I can make this happen before Uncharted launches tomorrow though so the game may go on the back burner until I finish U4.

dude

dude
Is the auto summon problems only at the higher levels? Cause when I was a Blue Sentinel I couldn't walk around for 10 minutes without being summoned. I had to switch just so that I could actually advance. If it's so hard in the higher levels I might go back to it now...

GulAtiCa

Is the auto summon problems only at the higher levels? Cause when I was a Blue Sentinel I couldn't walk around for 10 minutes without being summoned. I had to switch just so that I could actually advance. If it's so hard in the higher levels I might go back to it now...
Do it! As once people switch to different covenants, summoning will be harder. Also remember to not upgrade your weapon. I recommend +2, as it will still be in sync with people with +0 weapons.

I've been keeping those items equipped, and barely been summoned. Just twice around level 80.

I-hate-u

Man what is up with these covenant item piss poor drop rates?
This game throws a lot of throwbacks to Demon's, and the biggest is the pure bladestone black skeleton farming :mad:

Arjen

It's impossible, I have it equipped all the time, never even worked once.

The problem is that some people get summoned a lot, while others don't at all. The only one that I haven't heard any complaints about is the one after Pontiff. The others work for some people and don't for others with the same settings and level range.

Manu

Can you turn in stuff for different covenants simultaneously? Right now I'm still farming sunbro medals and concords at the same time, can I continue to turn in sunlight medals and the 30 concords as well, or do I need to switch covenants?

Pejo

Can you turn in stuff for different covenants simultaneously? Right now I'm still farming sunbro medals and concords at the same time, can I continue to turn in sunlight medals and the 30 concords as well, or do I need to switch covenants?

Yea you aren't really locked to a covenant in this game like past souls. You don't even have to have the covenant item equipped to turn in.

sjsteuck

Neo Member
I'm new to Dark Souls with this game, and I am so loving it. It blows my mind that after this I have Demon's Souls, Bloodbourne, and the first two Dark Souls games to play.
My question is about multiplayer. Is there an easy resource for me to understand more about this? I was embered after beating the Crystal Sage the other day, and while in the Road of Sacrifices swamp, I suddenly found myself getting invaded for the first time. It was cool as hell, but I didn't really understand what was going on. I think I beat the first invader, but then lost to a second invader who had some help from a giant crab and other creatures of the swamp.
It was fun battling the invaders, but what do I gain from it? What can I lose? And do I want to invade others? What can I gain and lose?

Gaf, Im at level 103 right now, what level do you guys recommend me getting to and still be able to duel and invade like at the area right after S
ulyvahns
bonfire? Ive read that 120 is the stopping point right?

Nephtes

When invading as a Mound Maker, and you find yet ANOTHER "fight club" on the ledge in Irithyl...
Is it wrong to just walk over and one shot the host for a vertebrae shackle?

Because... Yeah... I did that once. I don't even feel bad...
I want the damn achievement for all pyromancy... If From Software wanted me being a nice mad phantom, they would have made if easier to get vertebrae shackle... :p

It's impossible, I have it equipped all the time, never even worked once.

The problem is that some people get summoned a lot, while others don't at all. The only one that I haven't heard any complaints about is the one after Pontiff. The others work for some people and don't for others with the same settings and level range.
Last night I got summoned as a Darkmoon for the first time. After that I couldn't get summoned again as usual.

Gaf, Im at level 103 right now, what level do you guys recommend me getting to and still be able to duel and invade like at the area right after S
ulyvahns
bonfire? Ive read that 120 is the stopping point right?

No higher than 120 for duels and I think 90-100 is a decent stopping point for random invasions.

The last patch notes said Magic was rebalanced or something. Did it get buffed? Considering doing a Sorc playthrough if it's reasonable now.

I'm new to Dark Souls with this game, and I am so loving it. It blows my mind that after this I have Demon's Souls, Bloodbourne, and the first two Dark Souls games to play.
My question is about multiplayer. Is there an easy resource for me to understand more about this? I was embered after beating the Crystal Sage the other day, and while in the Road of Sacrifices swamp, I suddenly found myself getting invaded for the first time. It was cool as hell, but I didn't really understand what was going on. I think I beat the first invader, but then lost to a second invader who had some help from a giant crab and other creatures of the swamp.
It was fun battling the invaders, but what do I gain from it? What can I lose? And do I want to invade others? What can I gain and lose?

You become open to invasions when you are embered. People who have other phantoms helping them are prioritized for being invaded. Its sort of a counter balance to the summoning aspect of the game.

The wooded area you were in has a specific covenant that protects it(youll find it later in the level). So when anyone who is embered trespasses, summons or not, they will be invaded by protectors of the forest.

Killing the invader nets you souls to spend. If you become the invader you gain covenant items that you can turn in to recieve rewards like weapons, spells, or rings. There are multiple covenants like this in the game. Some are for invading others and killing them, some are for helping others, and some are for protecting people who are invaded. And then there's one for all the crazies out there.

You may miss a few on a first playthrough which is normal.

If you explore well enough youll find an item that lets you put down your summon sign for duels. Theres also an item you can find early game to invade others. Experiment and read item descriptions to be sure of what each covenant does!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom