• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

Upgrade away. The game drowns you in titanite as you progress.

Even then , it is annoying how much titanite you need to upgrade. 12 shards/large shards/chunks for three levels is just too much.

I loved back in the other games finding my first piece of titanite and quickly going to the blacksmith to upgrade whatever I had on hand.

Now I did this and Andre was all "lol"

LiK

are you supposed to kill that dragon in the High Wall of Lothric?...in my 2.5 playthroughs I never killed him but collected all the items under him...he seems similar to the Hellkite Dragon from Dark Souls 1 Undead Burg area

Not worth it. I watched AGS actually go through it and all you get are some shards after he leaves. Lol

test_account

XP-39C²
YES!! THE GRIND IS OVER! Farmed out 30/30 Proof of Concords. Now I can finally proceed to NG+. Oddly enough, I had way more covenant item drops with 260 item discovery and the Symbol of Avarice unquipped than I did with 320 ID and it on.
Same thing happened to me kinda, so i'm suspecting that the item drop rate doesnt really increase nor decrease the chance of covenant item drops, but just increase the chance of other item drops like armor and shields. I could be wrong though.

Damage-wise I'm not sure how they compare to other twin weapons since the katanas are the only ones I've used so far. They upped the stamina cost which is gonna really hurt bleed builds like mine. Arrrrrrg I really regret spending a slab on those katanas now. I only have a few left and I'm terrified the next weapon I upgrade to +10 will get nerfed too.
You can get 8 Titanite Slabs in one playthrough, so i wouldnt worry too much about that :)

Gbraga

I call bullshit on this.

Hell I am following a guide and cannot get fucking Patches to spawn where he is supposed to.

I didn't say you can get 100% of them on your first playthrough (and I even gave examples of quests that fail as part of other quests, and you have quests with multiple paths), but it's not either no quests at all or all of them, you can get a decent amount and then do what you missed on NG+.

The only two ways for you to fail every single NPC quest is if you never played a Souls game and/or don't know how NPC quests work on them, or if you didn't even care about the quests, but in that case you wouldn't complain about missing them.

But I should say, I'm still on my first playthrough, maybe a lot of them start to fail for no reason later on.

ElFly

I didn't say you can get 100% of them on your first playthrough (and I even gave examples of quests that fail as part of other quests, and you have quests with multiple paths), but it's not either no quests at all or all of them, you can get a decent amount and then do what you missed on NG+.

The only two ways for you to fail every single NPC quest is if you never played a Souls game and/or don't know how NPC quests work on them, or if you didn't even care about the quests, but in that case you wouldn't complain about missing them.

But I should say, I'm still on my first playthrough, maybe a lot of them start to fail for no reason later on.

It's my second playthrough! I knew Patches would be here cause I already met him here the first time I played the game, it's just that time I cut off the quest of -ahem- someone else related to him spawning here.

So basically I got fucked over despite experience with past games, information from previous playthroughs, guides, generous backtracking, generous reloading of areas, etc.

Then... backtrack through areas?

You solved it yourself :p

I revisit every NPC every new bonfire I get. I also revisit areas that I think might have some changes, like the tutorial area, after every boss.
It's what made me find Eygon and Irina outside Gundyr's boss room.

It's probably literally impossible for someone who never played a Souls game, I'll give you that. But if you did, you know what to look for, and how these things work.

Not to mention missing some stuff is fun, makes for some nice replay value. I'm excited to find out more about
Orbeck on my NG+ playthrough, since I won't follow Yuria's questline and won't kill him. I didn't get a chance to read any of the tome spells' descriptions for that reason. Really excited for that.

Because what? Reasons? I platinumed the 3 other Souls games and I know I have to return back to the hub after each boss to check the dialogues etc. But to backtrack through areas where I:

- already killed the bosses
- picked up every single Soul etc.

makes no sense to me. There's literally no incentive to search every single nook & cranny again not knowing even if anything has changed there.

Gbraga

It's my second playthrough! I knew Patches would be here cause I already met him here the first time I played the game, it's just that time I cut off the quest of -ahem- someone else related to him spawning here.

So basically I got fucked over despite experience with past games, information from previous playthroughs, guides, generous backtracking, generous reloading of areas, etc.

But do you really think it's possible to get unlucky enough to miss every single NPC quest?

I'm not doubting you, but it's just one quest. There are tons of them in this game.

Because what? Reasons? I platinumed 3 other Souls games and I know I have to return back to the hub after each boss to check the dialogues etc. But to backtrack through areas where I:

- already killed the bosses
- picked up every single Soul etc.

makes no sense to me. There's literally no incentive to search every single nook & cranny again not knowing even if anything has changed.

Hiding stuff behind illusionary walls like whole secret areas is A-OK in my book because it does not change depending on the moment of the story.

But that was already part of the other games. You have no real incentive to go back to Blighttown to see Siegmeyer, for example, but it was already part of the games. You have to go back to Central Yharnam
after Rom to see Gilbert transformed. Or go back to just outside Oedon Chapel to meet Eileen after opening a few gates in Cathedral Ward. And later go back to outside the Grand Cathedral. I actually missed Eileen outside Oedon Chapel on my first playthrough, the only reason I fought Henryk anyway was because I tried to teleport to Tomb of Oedon, and the game didn't let me, so I went there on foot to see what was going on.

I'm not saying it's super intuitive, which is why I said it can be impossible for a newcomer, but it's how these games work.

EDIT: It is very time consuming, though. Steam counts 84 hours of Dark Souls III (can't check my save at the moment), and my last boss was
High Lord Wolnir
. Most people would have finished the game at least twice at that time, and I'm still missing some stuff.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The whole lead up to that title card being shown is fantastic -
climbing the ramparts avoiding arrows, the Darkmoon tomb, the giant circular elevator, and then the view of Anor Londo castle, and just as you're overcome with realization about where you are - BAM - "Anor Londo" flashes on screen. Magical.

It's so good, because at that point
it's really like a coda, something you already knew for hours, serves as a confirmation. It's like a reverse title card, instead of coming up after an intro to something, it shows the end. You're basically done exploring once you get to the cathedral. That title card, together with everything that precedes it, is masterfully done. It's also cool to see a location marker suddenly get a narrative meaning or function.

It was kinda disappointing to see ENB shrug off this moment or not acknowledge it by saying
'tell me something I don't know'. It's like he missed the point of it.

It really is one of the best examples of storytelling through gameplay, shows that From knows how it's done. Plus, it stresses that they weren't lazy with the fan service, but really thought things out.

I could go on, it's just one of the most memorable moments in the Souls franchise.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I call bullshit on this.

Hell I am following a guide and cannot get fucking Patches to spawn where he is supposed to.
Maybe you should stop following guides then.

My first playthrough I was completely blind, and I did Siegward, Greirat and Patches's quests 100%. Granted there was a bit of luck there, but it's possible. I missed out on Sirris (she got mad at me about Rosaria), Yuria (Yoel died before she spawned), and Anri (entered Catacombs before doing the Cathedral).

I experimented with different orders of things in my new playthroughs and found some more stuff, mostly without a guide (just some hints from this thread). Yes it's convoluted, but if you play as slowly as Gbraga plays I wouldn't be shocked if he finds a lot of them.

But do you really think it's possible to get unlucky enough to miss every single NPC quest?

I'm not doubting you, but it's just one quest. There are tons of them in this game.

But that was already part of the other games. You have no real incentive to go back to Blighttown to see Siegmeyer, for example, but it was already part of the games. You have to go back to Central Yharnam
after Rom to see Gilbert transformed. Or go back to just outside Oedon Chapel to meet Eileen after opening a few gates in Cathedral Ward. And later go back to outside the Grand Cathedral. I actually missed Eileen outside Oedon Chapel on my first playthrough, the only reason I fought Henryk anyway was because I tried to teleport to Tomb of Oedon, and the game didn't let me, so I went there on foot to see what was going on.

I'm not saying it's super intuitive, which is why I said it can be impossible for a newcomer, but it's how these games work.

Alright you got a solid point there but then I also missed Siegmeyer in Blighttown, heh. I just do not do it and it feels unintuitive to me.

Sullichin

Went through NG+ with dragonslayer greataxe. Weapon is awesome. Went 40str/40fai with it, with lightning clutch ring and sacred oath. Is there a better stat spread for it?

My first playthrough I was completely blind, and I did Siegward, Greirat and Patches's quests 100%. Granted there was a bit of luck there, but it's possible. I missed out on Sirris (she got mad at me about Rosaria), Yuria (Yoel died before she spawned), and Anri (entered Catacombs before doing the Cathedral).

I experimented with different orders of things in my new playthroughs and found some more stuff, mostly without a guide (just some hints from this thread). Yes it's convoluted, but if you play as slowly as Gbraga plays I wouldn't be shocked if he finds a lot of them.

See Patches didn't even spawn for me - that would help me save Greirat. And even looking at your list, as you said, you got lucky in some places here & there. Had you missed Patches (a known glitch?) you'd be left with only Siegward!

I'm not saying you cannot do a single NPC quest without FAQ but the majority of them - in this particular game - require ton of luck or combing each area after anything changes in Firelink Shrine.

I really think Patches is glitched because:

- he didn't show up in the Tower behind Firelink for me in the first 4 hours of the game after I farmed for that Tower Key!
- how could I know to not go up on the Cathedral Rafters and drop to Rosaria before meeting him? I did not and I did drop there so he could not spawn below there...
- I guess *then* he would spawn in the Tower but... why would I go there again if I grabbed everything 20 hours ago?

Ehh... and to think I was really waiting for this recurring character to show up the whole game. I was even this close to killing Leonhard in the Shrine just to see if he is really Patches under that headgear, heh...

Gbraga

Ha, so I did get lucky with Anri!
I was hoping he'd stay put in the Cathedral (where he said he was going), because I wanted to explore "the turn back area" after beating Crystal Sages (and I couldn't even know which way was the Cathedral of the Deep, after all), and went there after Abyss Watchers. If I walked forward just a little bit more, I'd miss it.

I love these things. A friend told me Irina's other ending, sounds pretty damn cool. Pretty much the complete opposite of the one I got :D

Alright you got a solid point there but then I also missed Siegmeyer in Blighttown, heh. I just do not do it and it feels unintuitive to me.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's still valid criticism, it's not just because they always do it that you have to like it, but it's not something particular to this game.

See Patches didn't even spawn for me - that would help me save Greirat. And even looking at your list, as you said, you got lucky in some places here & there. Had you missed Patches (a known glitch?) you'd be left with only Siegward!

I'm not saying you cannot do a single NPC quest without FAQ but the majority of them - in this particular game - require ton of luck or combing each area after anything changes in Firelink Shrine.

The fact that I farm every area for enemy sets and weapons probably helps a little. I probably find a few things because of that.

An example would be
the stairs behind an illusory wall in Central Irithyll, didn't get it when I killed the Crystal Lizard, only activated it by accident while farming the Pontiff's Knights and Fire Witches for their gear.

Jombie

LOL HOW IN THE FUCK

Reminds me of that Fume Knight dual wielding Giant Clubs, fat roll (but no rolling allowed) example.

Nerf that weapo.... err... nerf SL1 From Soft!

It's kind of demoralizing. I fancy myself fairly good at these games, but I've had such a rough time doing a sl1 on this one... while rolling, that it just makes want to say fuck it.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's still valid criticism, it's not just because they always do it that you have to like it, but it's not something particular to this game.

Yeah, I was not really criticizing the game for this but maybe it could have been done a little better? I don't know. There is a fine line between puzzles and total obscurity based on luck alone.

At least it feels great knowing all this in NG+ and seeing it for the first time!

And you had total luck with Anri there, heh. It's one of those moments that feels great *after* you realize what really happened.

KHlover

Banned
Even then , it is annoying how much titanite you need to upgrade. 12 shards/large shards/chunks for three levels is just too much.

I loved back in the other games finding my first piece of titanite and quickly going to the blacksmith to upgrade whatever I had on hand.

Now I did this and Andre was all "lol"
Considering literally almost every enemy past BV drops Shards I don't see a problem with those. Chunks are a bit harder to come by, but by the time you need those in larger quantities you can just buy them.

NPC questline stuff:

So I'm trying to do everything on my second playthrough, get 100% etc and I come to the point in
Irythyll
in Anri's questline where I have to
kill the person who is using Chameleon
- does this also fuck with Yuria's questline? Is this something where you have to choose and then do the opposite questline in NG+, if so which is better to do first?

ElFly

Considering literally almost every enemy past BV drops Shards I don't see a problem with those. Chunks are a bit harder to come by, but by the time you need those in larger quantities you can just buy them.

Later in the game is no problem, but it is really lame early on.

It's so good, because at that point
it's really like a coda, something you already knew for hours, serves as a confirmation. It's like a reverse title card, instead of coming up after an intro to something, it shows the end. You're basically done exploring once you get to the cathedral. That title card, together with everything that precedes it, is masterfully done. It's also cool to see a location marker suddenly get a narrative meaning or function.

It was kinda disappointing to see ENB shrug off this moment or not acknowledge it by saying
'tell me something I don't know'. It's like he missed the point of it.

It really is one of the best examples of storytelling through gameplay, shows that From knows how it's done. Plus, it stresses that they weren't lazy with the fan service, but really thought things out.

I could go on, it's just one of the most memorable moments in the Souls franchise.

Very well said. They could have easily broken this moment by putting those two words 20 minutes before - after Pontiff. It would lose then 90% of the emotional "holy shit, what" it delivers. But they did not. They really did not and they thought it so well.

And just to reference my post from ~10 000 posts ago: I did not know it was *that* place. I thought to myself "hey, the
Silver Knight archers
remind me of XXX XXX!"
. Then "hey the Tomb is just like in XXX XXX!". Then finally the elevator ride was *almost* the tipping point... but It did not trigger the CONFIRMATION as you said.

And dumb question but From never talked about it in previews right? It was never showed to the press or in PR materials, right? So good.

ElFly

I cannot judge a game for a experience I did not have.

I don't think it matters how slowly you play if you just get bugged questlines.

Gbraga

I really think Patches is glitched because:

- he didn't show up in the Tower behind Firelink for me in the first 4 hours of the game after I farmed for that Tower Key!
- how could I know to not go up on the Cathedral Rafters and drop to Rosaria before meeting him? I did not and I did drop there so he could not spawn below there...
- I guess *then* he would spawn in the Tower but... why would I go there again if I grabbed everything 20 hours ago?

Ehh... and to think I was really waiting for this recurring character to show up the whole game. I was even this close to killing Leonhard in the Shrine just to see if he is really Patches under that headgear, heh...

I didn't find Patches by myself either, also got the Tower Key as soon as possible. You probably need to reach a certain point for it to happen.

Funny thing is that I actually went through the entire tower many times before I gave up on seeing anything new there.

I'm about to do the same with Emma, she never has any new dialogue for me, even after beating a Lord of Cinder, but thinking about it now, I should probably keep checking.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watching Kay's playthrough and wow... the dagger does total shit damage against Gundyr. I understand now if some people were having trouble with the fight: if you pick thief, you're in for a pretty long battle

tumblr_o6rxejWJlQ1t8bnhno1_400.gif

lol

Ogawa-san

NPC questline stuff:

So I'm trying to do everything on my second playthrough, get 100% etc and I come to the point in
Irythyll
in Anri's questline where I have to
kill the person who is using Chameleon
- does this also fuck with Yuria's questline? Is this something where you have to choose and then do the opposite questline in NG+, if so which is better to do first?
Killing the chameleon dude screws Yuria's questine right there, which means you can't get the hollow ending either.

Honestly, there's no reason to go that route unless you really want to see the different dialogue and fight Aldritch alongside Anri, you'll get his sword either way you go. So I'd leave the chameleon dude alone.

Gbraga

Watching Kay's playthrough and wow... the dagger does total shit damage against Gundyr. I understand now if some people were having trouble with the fight: if you pick thief, you're in for a pretty long battle

If you're good at parrying, at least the first phase should be alright. Not sure if you can parry the second.

I started as Mercenary.

Got my ass handed to me many times. I really suck at these games.

Make healing slower (both the chugging animation and how fast the bar fills up) and make Lloyd amulets last a few minutes.

Slowing down the animation will make some bosses near unbeatable.

Imagine trying to find an opportunity to heal against PS, NK, SoC, or even Aldritch. Healing windows are already tight enough as it is. Making the healing animation slower will only artificially raise the games difficulty because the bosses and encounters are not designed around it.

Lloyd lasting much longer is a good idea but then it means anyone invading into gank will never win.

I can definitely get behind slowing down how fast health refills though. In Ds1 you couldnt move but health came back very fast, same in DeS. Ds2 health refilled really slowly and you couldnt move and the combat was slower/more methodical. BB everything is faster so the healing is near instantaneous. Ds3 needs to be in the middle for healing. Right now its too far towards BB.

Allow movement while healing and keep the chug animation speed, but slow down the speed at which health regens(not too much). That way bosses dont become ridiculous and punishing someone in pvp becomes a bit less of a headache.

Fatal Error

Neo Member
Finished the game after being stuck at final boss for days, once you understand him he will be easier, didn't like the move where
he just combo you to death whether you are blocking or not.
. that's aside, I loved the game but still I don't feel that I'm satisfied, I didn't like the level design in this game, first time you see branches you will think that this game is huge with those branches but in the end you find out they usually are just short branch for an item.
The Woods and Farron's Keep were just open round area with enemies in it, I loved Irithyll Dungeon and Profaned Capital

I loved the combat in this game it feels satisfying and hitbox was fairly good, except with some enemies with grab move (
the fire witch in Irithyll
), but generally it was good, I had a great moment that I loved when I attacked an enemy in High Wall that made me love the combat even more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQswcC2UAxk

Killing the chameleon dude screws Yuria's questine right there, which means you can't get the hollow ending either.

Honestly, there's no reason to go that route unless you really want to see the different dialogue and fight Aldritch alongside Anri, you'll get his sword either way you go. So I'd leave the chameleon dude alone.
Ahhh, right thanks. I had thought there was more to Anri's questline that I'd miss if I took the other way.

Finished the game after being stuck at final boss for days, once you understand him he will be easier, didn't like the move where
he just combo you to death whether you are blocking or not.
. that's aside, I loved the game but still I don't feel that I'm satisfied, I didn't like the level design in this game, first time you see branches you will think that this game is huge with those branches but in the end you find out they usually are just short branch for an item.
The Woods and Farron's Keep were just open round area with enemies in it, I loved Irithyll Dungeon and Profaned Capital

I loved the combat in this game it feels satisfying and hitbox was fairly good, except with some enemies with grab move (
the fire witch in Irithyll
), but generally it was good, I had a great moment that I loved when I attacked an enemy in High Wall that made me love the combat even more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQswcC2UAxk

Personally I was deeply disappointed with only one level:
Profaned Capital.
I was expecting so much more out of it. A big, sprawling ruins of a city deep underground - something at least as big and scary as New Londo Ruins. Especially since:
- it was BELOW that scary as hell, Latria-like dungeon
- it was the home of one of the intro bosses
- home of the other intro boss (Cathedral) is the best level in the series - why would this level housing the other boss be any worse?

My expectations were super high.

What we got instead - one
optional chapel
and one room with two smaller rooms on the side was disappointment of the year. Great boss, though (didn't know about the gimmick and killed him the hard way) and great atmosphere/ graphics of the - sadly tiny-ass - level...

Gloam

Jeez,
the dancer
really messed me up. Didn't realize that the fight would start straight off after
Aldrich.
Lost a lot of souls. Think that's enough for today. Digging the orange.

The Chef

So Im going for a strength build and am currently using the Great Machete. My strength is currently at 36 and my dex is 20. Ultimately I am waiting to get the Black Knight Great Axe but have gotten to a point I feel like upgrading my Machete is a waste of resources.

I just beat the
Abyss Watchers

Should I wait for the Great Axe or start upgrading something else till then?

What's wrong with the netcode in this game. How are people getting hits on my from ages away, and how am I hitting people and it not doing any damage, despite the audio que?

Gbraga

Personally I was deeply disappointed with only one level:
Profaned Capital.
I was expecting so much more out of it. A big, sprawling ruins of a city deep underground - something at least as big and scary as New Londo Ruins. Especially since:
- it was BELOW that scary as hell, Latria-like dungeon
- it was the home of one of the intro bosses
- home of the other intro boss (Cathedral) is the best level in the series - why would this level housing the other boss be any worse?

My expectations were super high.

What we got instead - one
optional chapel
and one room with two smaller rooms on the side was disappointment of the year. Great boss, though (didn't know about the gimmick and killed him the hard way) and great atmosphere/ graphics of the - sadly tiny-ass - level...

It seems like this is our new Byrgenwerth, then :/

I was so excited to get there :C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom