• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sick of "Unable to Summon" messages. Better off just going solo. YOLO
At least the summon signs go away ASAP after that message. DS1 they stuck around for forever, making you unsure if they were already summoned or just network issues. (It was almost always they'd been summoned.)

LiK

I actually like
Catacombs
, but fuck
Demon Ruins.
Terrible area.

I didn't mind the area too much. I hated those enemies that threw fireballs into air tho. Fucking annoying. The rest of the area was fine.

At least the summon signs go away ASAP after that message. DS1 they stuck around for forever, making you unsure if they were already summoned or just network issues. (It was almost always they'd been summoned.

Pretty disappointing because the online in DkS2 vanilla was pretty great. Was good on PS3 and excellent on PC. I dunno how they reverted back to DkS1 connection issues.

Kindekuma

Banned
So far the boss I've had the most trouble with was the A
byss Watchers
. I can easily
get past the first stage
, but I consistently got my ass kicked at the
second stage with the flame attacks

Finally turned on the online and someone helped out, some good ol' fashion team work and we kicked its ass first try.

Audioboxer

Those damn Carthus weapons have taken an age for me to drop... but OMG when they did, so good on a dex build (or dex/bleed). Got a ton of sharp stones in the process.

Chorazin

On a replay, C
athedral of the Deep
is such an anti-climax with the first truly complex level concept, packed with major secrets like R
osaria's Bonfire
and some of the most devious enemy combos in the game, all ending in the wet fart that is D
eacons of the Deep

Agreed, It's even easier going for the Hollow ending, since you need to summon
Anri and Horace to help.

7ac.jpg

And even then I'd still take
the Dark Souls 3 versions
any time.

DS1
Catacombs
was cool though. 3 definitely look nicer but traversing it wasn't all that interesting.

Skii

Undead Settlement, Cathedral, Boreal Valley, Irithyll Dungeon, Lothric Castle
- all fantastic levels.

Demon Ruins and Catacombs are pretty ass tho

No, nothing specific given away in there.

Okay thanks for not spoiling anything :)

I'll heal it because I imagine it'll end me getting a "bad" ending with me being cursed or something I bet.

Sephzilla

And even then I'd still take
any time.

I actually like
Catacombs
, but fuck
Demon Ruins.
Terrible area.

I don't mind Dark Souls 3's
Demon Ruins
area that much, at least compared to
it's counterpart in Dark Souls 1
, but it's just the worst level in a game full of really good levels. Both that area and the
Catacombs
are a little shorter and don't drag that badly. So like Manu said I'll take
any time.

Except it doesn't get that high.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Greatsword

The highest any scaling goes is a B in either Dex or str. It gets A's in Int and Faith, but I have no points in those, and the base damage goes way, way down.

Man, I am so disillusioned with the guts sword. It has NOTHING going for it except it's sheer base damage, and I bet I can get higher than that with other greatswords.

I think I might go farm for the Cathedral Greatsword like was my original plan.

Fume Ultra Greatsword has S strength scaling and you should be able to two hand it with 40 strength no problem.

justjim89

The rules for bosses in Dark Souls 3:

1. They change form, get another weapon, or just get way harder when they're at half health.

2. They have some bullshit grab attack that kills you in one hit.

3. They have help and/or other parties to fight while you fight them/

Two of the above must always apply.

The bosses have always been the worst part about the Souls series, but this game just takes it to a new level. Every boss feels exactly the same, using the same lame tricks to invoke challenge. I wish I could play at a steady enough framerate to remain online, so I could just summon my way through all these and just get through them. And the one fight that breaks the above rules requires you to use one weapon that's found in that boss room, meaning you're guaranteed a death or you navigate the awful inventory system and equip it mid fight. They really ran out of ideas on this, maybe it's good that this is the last Souls game.

1. They change form, get another weapon, or just get way harder when they're at half health.

The bosses have always been the worst part about the Souls series, but this game just takes it to a new level. Every boss feels exactly the same, using the same lame tricks to invoke challenge. I wish I could play at a steady enough framerate to remain online, so I could just summon my way through all these and just get through them. And the one fight that breaks the above rules requires you to use one weapon that's found in that boss room, meaning you're guaranteed a death or you navigate the awful inventory system and equip it mid fight. They really ran out of ideas on this, maybe it's good that this is the last Souls game.

Wat

1) thats a problem????
2) git gud
3) git gud

LiK

I don't think so and a lot of the rules you mentioned don't apply to all the bosses in this game. They're pretty varied and different which is refreshing. Miyazaki had confirmed that all the bosses would have more than one form before the game came out. That makes it challenging to figure out their new patterns.

If you want samey, play DkS2 where most of the bosses are just humanoid enemies you would circle around for days. You get more variety in this game.

I'll do chalice dungeons all day, if they'd remove the swamp from this game, and just put all the items and shit you can pick up there into a chest, so I can just grab it and move on. Maybe trigger a nuke trap when you open the chest, so the whole place blows the fuck up as I walk away in slowmo, and I'm not looking back at the explosion. Worst level in a From game. I'll take any of the unfinished areas from DkS1, or any of the odd areas in DkS2 where enemies trigger a mile away and do their funny "just crapped my pants" fast walk towards you.

myco666

How did you get the covenent items?

Coop for Sunlight Medals, invasions for Pale Tongues, 22 invasion victories for Shackles (saturnine volunteered to kill himself/herself for the rest 8) and farmed Human Dregs, Wolf's Blood Swordgrass and Proofs. Yes I like to punish myself and do stuff that makes me hate the game.

GulAtiCa

C
atacombs
was a fun place. Very small too, esp if you use some of the shortcuts.

D
emon Ruins
was annoying to go through. Esp as a pyromancer. Upgraded my Deep Battle Axe to +4.

Sephzilla

I'll do chalice dungeons all day, if they'd remove the swamp from this game, and just put all the items and shit you can pick up there into a chest, so I can just grab it and move on. Maybe trigger a nuke trap when you open the chest, so the whole place blows the fuck up as I walk away in slowmo, and I'm not looking back at the explosion. Worst level in a From game. I'll take any of the unfinished areas from DkS1, or any of the odd areas in DkS2 where enemies trigger a mile away and do their funny "just crapped my pants" fast walk towards you.

mdIgRqf.gif

Onemic

1. That just adds extra challenge and makes boss fights more interesting
2. Learn to use your roll
3. You can straight up ignore adds in pretty much all cases

Im nowhere near being a souls vet and die plenty of times to bosses, but those points arent negatives.....at all.

I will agree with
Yhorm
though. That boss fight was pretty dumb, but you're clearly meant to die at least once during that fight.

C
atacombs
was a fun place. Very small too, esp if you use some of the shortcuts.

D
emon Ruins
was annoying to go through. Esp as a pyromancer. Upgraded my Deep Battle Axe to +4.

This. I had to change my Uchi to raw because of the fire resistance most of the dudes in that place have.

GulAtiCa

Coop for Sunlight Medals, invasions for Pale Tongues, 22 invasion victories for Shackles (saturnine volunteered to kill himself/herself for the rest 8) and farmed Human Dregs, Wolf's Blood Swordgrass and Proofs. Yes I like to punish myself and do stuff that makes me hate the game.

I don't mind farming for the Wolf's Blood Swordgrass, since there is a bonfire with 3 of them with easy access to kill (prob takes me 30 seconds to kill them each time currently). So that will go quickly. Not looking forward to farming the rest. Already got the tongues, so hopefully I can get what I can of the others before I need to farm.

E92 M3

Swordgrass drops at a decent rate, but Proofs...I can only do a couple a day before I slowly start hating everything lol.

Manu

1. That's good! Keeps things interesting.

2. None of the grab attacks has killed me in one hit, that I remember. And the ones that do the most damage are slow and telegraphed.

3. There's like, two bosses that do this?

And bosses are one of the best parts of Souls, you trippin'

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
17th boss,
Ancient Wyvern
, down. That was a nice easy one once you figure out what to do.

p3n

What are some top tier PvP weapons to design a build around?

Estoc/Rapier + Buckler/TS/SLS for the boring parry&poke gameplay. Only makes sense if you learn the parry timings and know how to use your 2hit recovery on spammers. Use the Painting Guardian Sword in your off-hand for style parries.

Washingpole, Dragonslayer Spear, Gargoyle Flamelance, Dragonslayer Swordspear are all nice options if you enjoy your range game and want to punish mistimed attacks or rolls. The Dragonslayer weapons have nice weapon arts that can catch people off-guard.

Fume Ultra Greatsword (even after the nerf), Yhorm's Great Machete, Black Knight Greataxe are the best heavy weapon choices in my opinion. Normal Greataxe is also decent but the lack of range makes you very vulnerable against the pokers.

Twin Princes Greatsword, Astora Greatsword, Farron Greatsword. Gimmick weapons that will catch most inexperienced players off-guard. You will lose to every half-decent PVP player because these weapons leave you wide open with their weapon arts/special attacks.

Black Knight Halberd. Probably the best 1on1 weapon in the game if used correctly. Very hard to nail the punish combo timings on low weight + Carthus Blood Ring users but doable. Learn how to buffer running attacks if you want to play offensively. Weapon is shit-tier in open PVP against multiple enemies.

Some weapons I haven't tested myself but I've seen people do amazing things with them:

Morne's Great Hammer, LK Long Spear (infinite poise on attack???), Demon's Fist, Immolation Tinder.

If you want to go full try-hard always use buffable weapons with Moonlight/Sunlight Blade buffs. Estoc and Washingpole are already well established in that category.

Sephzilla

1) Hooray more of a challenge!

2) Upgrade your health and/or sharpen your rolling skills. Most boss grab attacks don't do that much damage and they're pretty telegraphed.

3) I'm pretty sure there's only 2 or 3 bosses in the game that actually do this.

justjim89

It's the part of the series that's always reveled the most in its edgy-ass "prepare to die" masochism, hard for the sake of hard. The worldbuilding, the atmosphere, the exploration is all great. But to me, seeing a fog door has always meant the fun is about to stop. They feel like a chore, especially in this game.

1) thats a problem????
2) git gud
3) git gud

I may be bad at Dark Souls, but at least I'm not the one aping dank memes from /v/.

I don't think so and a lot of the rules you mentioned don't apply to all the bosses in this game. They're pretty varied and different which is refreshing. Miyazaki had confirmed that all the bosses would have more than one form before the game came out. That makes it challenging to figure out their new patterns.

If you want samey, play DkS2 where most of the bosses are just humanoid enemies you would circle around for days. You get more variety in this game.

Just feels like the wrong kind of challenging to me. Almost invalidates the first half of the fight every time it happens, as if to say "Well that shit didn't really count." Doesn't help that most bosses seem like they don't need stamina at all and just spam attacks over and over again.
Sullivan, Aldrich
, and the
Dancer
may as well be the same fight. And if I'm being honest, there's more than a few things I prefer about DS2 so far, even though I'm further in this than I ever got in DS2.

That and DS3 is a step down from BB graphically.
They both look great, albeit DS3 doesnt feel as fresh. There are some parts of DS3 that are breathtaking. In terms of art style, I do prob prefer BB overall, though obviously it can only look so good running on a PS4. DS3 at 3440x1440 is quite the visual treat.

Granjinha

someone is mad

and i'm sorry, you're wrong. The bosses are extremely good (at least ones that don't use stupid gimmicks like bed of chaos), and souls is actually is one of the few games that does boss the right way

no QTE and bullshits, but learning the moveset, have the player to be calm and don't try to rush (you WILL be punished), stuff like that

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

I just finished the
Pontiff Sulyvahn
boss fight and while that was fantastic I kind of agree that bosses this time have been a let down so far. They have been too easy and not that fun to fight. The most disappointing thing though is the music. Coming of Bloodborne the music so far has been pretty underwhelming. BB started with Cleric Beast, Father G and BSB. All of them had tremendous themes. The DS3 boss music has been seriously underwhelming so far.

Having said that - Bosses in Souls have always been epic. Very few stuidios do boss fights as good as From Soft. Also in DS3 A
Byss Watchers
and the one I mentioned earlier are fantastic fights.

J-Skee

Fume Ultra Greatsword has S strength scaling and you should be able to two hand it with 40 strength no problem.

I just got that beast last night, but no way can my Dex build handle that. Is there a greatsword or twin weapon or any great Dex weapon that anyone would recommend? I'm currently going with the Pontiff Curved Sword, Rotten Grhu Curved Sword & the Dragonrider Bow for range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom